Author Topic: The Pokémon Thread v. Sun and Moon [Friend Codes in OP]  (Read 250621 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The Pokémon Thread v. Black and White [Friend Codes in OP]
« Reply #1610 on: August 26, 2014, 08:35:05 AM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/08/26/nintendo-reveals-pokemon-fighting-game-pokken-tournament/

The game is a two-player arcade fighter, confirming a sneak peak shown a little while ago which hinted at a title in the fighting genre, and will be out sometime in 2015. And by “arcade fighter,” I mean it will literally be coming to Japanese arcades, before it heads to any of Nintendo's platforms, if it ever does.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1611 on: August 26, 2014, 08:49:58 AM »
From the video, it just looks like a standard run-of-the-mill fighting game. Except, there's a few Pokemans in it.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1612 on: August 26, 2014, 08:50:52 AM »
I think it's a complete waste.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1613 on: August 26, 2014, 08:52:52 AM »
Looks rad to me, how can anyone complain about a fighting game with Pokemon as the cast?  :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1614 on: August 26, 2014, 08:57:12 AM »
Because it's not the open world Pokemon MMO that I've wanted for the last decade.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1615 on: August 26, 2014, 09:06:04 AM »
While a Pokemon MMO would be cool it would take so much work, so much upkeep, etc, amidst a shit ton of other established, wildly popular MMOs, this is something that is pretty awesome on it's own with a shit ton of potential via dlc(if it ever hits consoles that is). I'm not even good at fighting games(except Smash, but that isn't really a traditional fighting game), but this is a wonderful idea, and it's a collaboration with an already established fighting game name.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:45:18 AM by Dark Castle »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1616 on: August 26, 2014, 10:42:54 AM »
I'm personally not interested in the least. I dislike traditional fighting games (MK/MvC/GGX/Tekken/etc). The only fighting game I've ever liked is Smash Bros and that's coming out (well, for 3DS, which is the only system I own) very soon, so I'm set. Especially since they've got Pokemon already. Even then, I doubt I'll play as them all that much (it's all about that DeDeDe). I'll stick to my traditional RPG-ing, thank you. Nice thought though, cool direction for the series to branch out towards.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1617 on: August 26, 2014, 10:49:11 AM »
Well based on that camera angle it doesn't look like it is going to be a 'traditional' fighting game (and it amuses me that you put Tekken in the same category as those other games because it's completely different, like Soul Calibur), instead it looks like it'll be one of those piece of shit fighting games they make based on anime properties like Gundam or Higurashi or Index. Just look up gameplay for Higurashi Daybreak and you'll see what I mean.

Hopes=not high

(also smash bros is like one of the worst fighting games ever especially brawl)

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1618 on: August 26, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
Well based on that camera angle it doesn't look like it is going to be a 'traditional' fighting game (and it amuses me that you put Tekken in the same category as those other games because it's completely different, like Soul Calibur), instead it looks like it'll be one of those piece of shit fighting games they make based on anime properties like Gundam or Higurashi or Index. Just look up gameplay for Higurashi Daybreak and you'll see what I mean.

Hopes=not high

:L

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1619 on: August 26, 2014, 10:55:52 AM »
NOPE.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1620 on: August 26, 2014, 10:56:50 AM »
NOPE.
x100.000.000

It may not be a traditional fighting game by any means, but yeah it's fucking fantastic.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1621 on: August 26, 2014, 11:00:45 AM »
If anyone else on this board actually played fighting games I would consider those valid opinions

But the fact is that as long as there are random completely unbalancing elements like random tripping (which I know is being taken out, but that's why Brawl was the worst one), items, final smashes... The only time Smash Bros comes close to being a fair and balanced fighting game is if you play Melee with no items on Final Destination.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1622 on: August 26, 2014, 11:02:34 AM »
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 04:36:21 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1623 on: August 26, 2014, 11:05:20 AM »
If anyone else on this board actually played fighting games I would consider those valid opinions
:lol

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1624 on: August 26, 2014, 11:12:45 AM »
But you guys have to realize those statements are basically the same as me saying "I hate FPS games and don't play them but the best one is Team Fortress 2". I have no frame of reference, making my opinion invalid and based on ignorance.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1625 on: August 26, 2014, 11:23:15 AM »
Or it's an opinion based on different preferences for games (or things in general).

"My favourite Dream Theater album is ____ - I don't really like most of their albums but I really like that one."
"Ok but you don't like Dream Theater in general so are incapable of judging what a good Dream Theater album is, hence your opinion is invalid."

If someone doesn't like the supposed best items in a genre then maybe it makes sense that one they do like is one that does things differently or doesn't do such a good job of pleasing fans of that particular genre.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1626 on: August 26, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »
Except it started with Tio saying that all the other fighting games. So it's more like they said "Dream Theater sucks but Systematic Chaos is great".

So I do apologize if my tone was a bit hostile but I don't appreciate people shitting on a whole genre because they don't play it. I used to do that when I was like 17, but people RIGHTLY jumped down my throat for it, so now I don't talk about FPS games anymore! Imagine that!

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1627 on: August 26, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
/././.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 04:37:10 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1628 on: August 26, 2014, 11:32:40 AM »
So I'm not allowed to talk shit about entire genres of games but other people are

sweet

Oh wait it's because FPS is mainstream and fighting games aren't right

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1629 on: August 26, 2014, 11:35:10 AM »
I have absolutely no idea where you got that. Where did I say any of that? Or infer it? Or even mention it? Are you...Are you fuckin' with me?

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!? AHHHHHHH!

:rollin Sometimes you just gotta laugh. Alright yeah, that's it.

RIP DTP.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1630 on: August 26, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
So I'm not allowed to talk shit about entire genres of games but other people are

sweet

No one has said anything near that.
You're getting a negative response because of a snotty post full of know it all'ness, and then calling our opinions invalid, part of which because we like Super Smash Bros?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1631 on: August 26, 2014, 11:40:27 AM »
 ???

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1632 on: August 26, 2014, 11:43:13 AM »
I've tried other fighting games. I can't play them without getting my ass kicked because of the whole left-diagonal-down push a button crap that makes no logical sense and happens to be the opposite of intuitive. Smash bros., anyone can play, and learn very quickly. There is my logical reason for disliking other fighting games.  ;D
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1633 on: August 26, 2014, 11:43:34 AM »
but this is a pokemon thread

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1634 on: August 26, 2014, 11:44:46 AM »
The only difference between "I dislike x" and "I think x is bad" is that you used slightly different words. They mean the same fucking thing. And I know from EXPERIENCE on THESE VERY BOARDS that if I said exactly what you said about a different genre (say, FPS) I would be torn to pieces.

sweet

You're getting a negative response because of a snotty post full of know it all'ness, and then calling our opinions invalid, part of which because we like Super Smash Bros?

Not because you like SSB, but because YOU DON'T PLAY FUCKING FIGHTING GAMES. To make another analogy, it'd be like saying "I don't like music but Justin Bieber is great". And the only 'know it all' thing I said was a POOR FUCKING WORD CHOICE of 'amused' because yeah, those are not the same fucking types of games at all, as Tio even admitted. Saying I think Smash Bros is bad at the end of the post IS THE SAME THING AS SAYING I DON'T LIKE IT FFS

And I get upset because I'm the only person on here who plays fighting games, so I'm the only one who's going to step in to defend them.

I've tried other fighting games. I can't play them without getting my ass kicked because of the whole left-diagonal-down push a button crap that makes no logical sense and happens to be the opposite of intuitive. Smash bros., anyone can play, and learn very quickly. There is my logical reason for disliking other fighting games.  ;D

And if you said this about FPS people would say "So you don't like it because you're bad at it." Which I know. Because it has happened to me. ffs

...my name is Araragi.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1635 on: August 26, 2014, 11:45:23 AM »
guys this is a pokemon thread. it says it right in the title

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1636 on: August 26, 2014, 11:46:02 AM »
The only difference between "I dislike x" and "I think x is bad" is that you used slightly different words. They mean the same fucking thing. And I know from EXPERIENCE on THESE VERY BOARDS that if I said exactly what you said about a different genre (say, FPS) I would be torn to pieces.

sweet

Not because you like SSB, but because YOU DON'T PLAY FUCKING FIGHTING GAMES. To make another analogy, it'd be like saying "I don't like music but Justin Bieber is great". And the only 'know it all' thing I said was a POOR FUCKING WORD CHOICE of 'amused' because yeah, those are not the same fucking types of games at all, as Tio even admitted. Saying I think Smash Bros is bad at the end of the post IS THE SAME THING AS SAYING I DON'T LIKE IT FFS

And I get upset because I'm the only person on here who plays fighting games, so I'm the only one who's going to step in to defend them.

Lol I do play other fighting games though. I used to play MvC, play Soul Calibur, play Mortal Combat, and played Blaz Blue with friends, I just suck at most of them. Enjoy them, but suck so fucking much at them.

And Pokemon's coming out with a fighting title, your point Snapple?

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1637 on: August 26, 2014, 11:49:27 AM »

Melee is pretty good. I did not like Brawl, though the Project M mod is excellent.

And as for Pokemon, I may finally get a 3DS for the upcoming gen 3 remakes. I haven't played a Pokemon game since Black, so it would be nice to start with a new version of my first Pokemon generation.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1638 on: August 26, 2014, 11:54:11 AM »
I do apologize that my tone was a little hostile and I could go into great length about all the shit going on in my life right now (primarily we had a fucking fire and got evicted ^_^) but I don't want to.

The actual main point I was making in the original post was that this game looks (just based on the camera angle) like it'll be the actually worst type of fighting game ever, the Higurashi Daybreak style arena fighter. Arena fighters suck so bad guys. Even though I don't like Smash Bros too much (and again as I've pointed out repeatedly it's mostly Brawl that's a piece of shit, Melee is ok), even SSBB is way better than an arena fighter.

And please please trust me here because arena fighters are pretty much always shovelware that only gets released in Japan. DO NOT get your hopes up.

Melee is pretty good. I did not like Brawl, though the Project M mod is excellent.

Because Project M takes out all the randomizing and unbalancing shit (LIKE FUCKING RANDOM TRIPPING) that makes Brawl a crappy game. Which I think I said was why I hate it :lol

Edit: So I'm sure the original posted link says this but apparently this will be a Tekken crossover. So not an arena fighter but still not great imo :lol
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:54:48 PM by Genowyn »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1639 on: August 28, 2014, 04:43:36 PM »
I friggin' love this series; and it equally just as much can set me off sometimes. But today it's been amazing. I'm getting the rest of the legendaries in Black 2 and I'm attempting to catch this friggin' Virizion. It's taken me about 30 Ultra balls, 15 Great and I'm accidentally use a Poke'...got it. Fast forward and I'm catching Heatran. I throw a Pokeball...first try, got it. Forward again, I'm catching Regirock...first try, Pokeball. WHAT WHAAAAAAAAT!?  :rollin RIDICULOUS!

It's awesome, I love it and I hate it. I'll spend hours on a simple Pokemon capture and then I get one legendary with a pokeball after a while and two others on the first try. Insanity.  :heart I can't wait till Alpha/Omega! It's gettin' closer... My team... THEY WILL BE READY. I can't wait to rape and be raped by the secret bases. I'm gonna have such a ballin' mini-gym.

RIP DTP.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1640 on: August 28, 2014, 05:31:24 PM »
I friggin' love this series; and it equally just as much can set me off sometimes. But today it's been amazing. I'm getting the rest of the legendaries in Black 2 and I'm attempting to catch this friggin' Virizion. It's taken me about 30 Ultra balls, 15 Great and I'm accidentally use a Poke'...got it. Fast forward and I'm catching Heatran. I throw a Pokeball...first try, got it. Forward again, I'm catching Regirock...first try, Pokeball. WHAT WHAAAAAAAAT!?  :rollin RIDICULOUS!

Ah yes, I love the thrills when I am trying to catch a legendary, run out of high level pokeballs, and then realize that I hadn't saved for 3 hours.  :facepalm: And then manage to catch it with a standard ball.  :lol

My favorite pokemon memory was in Emerald. I had played for four hours looking for a Feebas tile on that damn river. I finally catch one, and then try to evolve it. Because I was a complete idiot, I just made my pokeblocks out of whatever berries I had. So, I eventually realized that I needed dry berries to increase the beauty stat. Unfortunately, my game had suffered from the berry glitch that makes all of the berries in Hoenn disappear. I had to get dry berries from the berry master every day to make my pokeblocks. And then, it was all worth it. Feebas's beauty stat had increased JUST enough on the very last pokeblock it could eat for it to evolve. Milotic is my all time favorite pokemon, so it was well worth it.

And, naturally, I lost both my GBA and the original DS model I had, so I could not move it over to my Platinum.  >:(
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1641 on: August 28, 2014, 10:19:36 PM »
 :lol :heart :'( :metal They just reincarnate into newer data.

RIP DTP.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1642 on: September 10, 2014, 09:43:30 AM »
Remember little Wally? Sickly kid who caught a freakin' Ralts on his first try? Well, that Ralts doesn't become a Gardevoir anymore. MEGA GALLADE, GO!

Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1643 on: September 10, 2014, 11:48:09 AM »
HELLZ YEUH!! Just saw that, here's the rest of the news, including a couple ones out of left-field...Camerupt and Sharpedo Megas! Dunno how often I'll use those (literally never  :lol ) But the Gallade, that's amazing, I literally just got one of those awesome dooders last night after trying to get a Dawn stone from that friggin' annyoing-as-hell Inver.

RIP DTP.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1644 on: September 10, 2014, 12:15:17 PM »
Yeah really cool, the Camerupt and Sharpedo ones make a lot of sense since they are the main Pokemon of Team Aqua / Magma.