Author Topic: The Pokémon Thread v. Sun and Moon [Friend Codes in OP]  (Read 250660 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The Pokémon Thread v. Black and White [Friend Codes in OP]
« Reply #1575 on: October 17, 2013, 01:08:29 PM »
I don't want it to be like Skyrim, I just want the main gameplay to be more interesting and difficult and less repetitive and drone-like.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1576 on: October 17, 2013, 01:25:55 PM »
But don't you think it would be awesome if you weren't following such a linear story line and could actually free-roam around a world. When you engage in a Pokemon battle, it could be set up exactly how it is in Stadium. I want to be immersed in a world that is all things Pokemon.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1577 on: October 17, 2013, 02:51:38 PM »
I'm thinking Gale of Darkness that's even more open world, with actual wild pokemon and gym leaders and everything.

My fantasy is the RSE remakes be made like that
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1578 on: October 18, 2013, 09:27:53 PM »
I beat the game yesterday and I have to say, while Kalos is a cool region and battling in 3D is awesome, overall I think this game has the weakest plot and gym leaders in the series. Team Flare barely seems to do anything before their big climax compared to previous antagonists (in terms of major takeovers compared to small encounters here or there), and their motivation seems a bit all over the place as to why they're doing what they're doing. Didn't really feel like there was enough of a build up to that final battle either. I think I was a bit spoiled by B/W/B2/W2. The gym leaders were really involved in the plot in that one, while here we barely know them for five minutes before we're done with them forever, barring Korrina and a scene or two with the fifth and eighth. Hello? Guys? Kind of have a team of vain, homicidal maniacs over here. Wanna do something about it? Like help the five kids fighting them?

Also thought those kids were pretty annoying too. I don't know, just constantly getting interrupted and herded about by Shauna, Tierno and Trevor with their friendship speeches got old really fast. Champion was a bit of a baffling choice as well, though I suppose I should be used to it being someone who we're introduced to once early in the game and makes another appearance later on at this point. The Elite Four in this game were freaking awesome though. May be one of my favorite Elite Fours in the series. Would like to see them mix up the types you face there even further in the future. Psychic, Steel, Dragon and etc. have been done to death there.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1579 on: February 14, 2014, 09:44:19 PM »
What happens when a shit ton of people try to play Poke'mon Red/Blue all at once?

THIS

https://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon

This is funny to watch. I am surprised they've made it this far
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1580 on: February 16, 2014, 06:17:45 AM »
I beat the game yesterday and I have to say, while Kalos is a cool region and battling in 3D is awesome, overall I think this game has the weakest plot and gym leaders in the series. Team Flare barely seems to do anything before their big climax compared to previous antagonists (in terms of major takeovers compared to small encounters here or there), and their motivation seems a bit all over the place as to why they're doing what they're doing. Didn't really feel like there was enough of a build up to that final battle either. I think I was a bit spoiled by B/W/B2/W2. The gym leaders were really involved in the plot in that one, while here we barely know them for five minutes before we're done with them forever, barring Korrina and a scene or two with the fifth and eighth. Hello? Guys? Kind of have a team of vain, homicidal maniacs over here. Wanna do something about it? Like help the five kids fighting them?
Oh, the plot was a huge step back! Black and White (sequels less so) righted a whole load of wrongs. It wasn't Shakespeare, but it was like they were trying. The Team Plasma plot and the "Do the eight gyms in this order because whoo!" plot dovetailed, beautifully. That never happens in X and Y. The ludicrous villains awaken a monster, you capture it, and you stroll on to the eighth gym. Fine in Ruby and Sapphire, but those games have a lot to answer for. We're back to gym leaders as badge-dispensers, except Korinna who spends most of her parole bleating on about Mega Evolution a full seven gyms before you have access to more than a handful of stones.

Where X and Y do excel is in gameplay. The online integration is an absolute godsend - the GTS is brilliant, Wonder Trade is staggeringly addictive, you can battle strangers within seconds, and the new pokemon, while few in number, are all interesting and have gameplay niches. Diggersby, of all the critters, has a spot right in the middle of my online team. As a [edit] story, it's mediocre. As an online battle platform, it's unparalleled.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:00:48 PM by robwebster »

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1581 on: February 16, 2014, 12:05:11 PM »
It's funny you replied to that now, Rob, I actually went back to the game a few days back (had a moment in November where I quit a three hour session w/o saving and ragequit) and I got around to doing the Looker sidequest you get at the end of the game. THAT should have been the main quest. The plot of that was better than anything involving Team Flare. I honestly wish that had been spread out over the whole region instead of just Lumiose. Teaming up with Looker to save Emma and stop a mad scientist, while simultaneously getting gym badges? Would have been awesome. If they had made your rival the one stuck in the Essentia suit, that would have been a great twist on the whole rival formula.

I also spent about three hours doing the Poke transfer thing while Pokemon Bank is in its free trial (I've got enough monthly fees, I'm not paying for this at all when that starts). I think they could have made this a lot less convoluted. Only being able to use B/W/B2/W2's Box 1, and doing one box at a time, with all the manual Pokemon moving and cartridge switching was tedious. But at least most of the Pokemon I've ever kept are in X now.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1582 on: February 18, 2014, 08:33:58 AM »
I stopped playing Y after about 3 hours. I left it untouched since its release. I started playing the other day and I'm now 13 hours in. I only have two badges so far  :lol I don't know how I feel about the game so far. I've been skimming through the last page of this thread and agree that the story is getting pretty boring. I'd rather a pokemon game with a whole new objective. Why not make all the gym leaders hard as shit, but open the map up from the beginning. Go off doing all kind of quests until you are strong enough to start taking down the gym leaders in whichever order you choose? I'd love to see a bunch of missions rather than just progressively moving through a region. I'd like to see a pokemon version of Skyrim, but that would be far too complex for the children.

Friend code: 0834-0734-8248

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1583 on: March 10, 2014, 11:31:16 AM »
You don't have enough badges.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1584 on: March 10, 2014, 08:49:03 PM »
It's a shame she only knows four moves though.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1585 on: March 10, 2014, 08:51:24 PM »
It's a shame she only knows four moves though.

It's quite alright. I'll happily teach her several dozen more.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1586 on: March 15, 2014, 05:23:37 PM »
Y is a great game. I'm approaching the Elite 4 on Victory Road now. My team is:

Delphox (Fire/Psychic)
Blastoise (Water)
Lapras (Ice/Electric)
Yveltal (Flying/Dark/Ghost)
Gogoat (Grass/Ground)
Lucario (Fighting/Steel)

Mega evolution is pretty cool.

Offline rcseeley421

« Reply #1587 on: March 24, 2014, 09:59:41 PM »
Hey guys, I just started playing X after having been on a 3DS hiatus for a couple years. Would you guys mind if I added some of you as friends in order to get my friend safari going? Thanks! My FC is 2938-7918-2280

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1588 on: March 25, 2014, 03:40:31 PM »
I've just added you. I'm 3711-7985-7951, got a fighting thang. I think Pancham, Hariyama and... arrrg! Something else. I can't think. Could be Meditite.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1589 on: May 07, 2014, 08:39:31 AM »
HOENN
FUCKING
REMAKES
NOVEMBER

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1590 on: May 07, 2014, 08:53:39 AM »
Aw sweet. Have been waiting for this.  :tup

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1591 on: May 07, 2014, 09:01:57 AM »
My favourite gen. And I've always preferred the remakes so hopefully this is the same case. :D

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1592 on: May 07, 2014, 09:12:25 AM »
Will it have 3D graphics?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1593 on: May 07, 2014, 09:14:51 AM »
I can't seem to find anything. But still

#HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE #HYPE

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1594 on: May 07, 2014, 09:22:17 AM »
I hoped they would make this, even if it was the obvious move - I really enjoyed Heart Gold and Leaf Green, and Ruby was possibly my favourite version to play through originally (I'd probably rate Platinum highest, but that's more because that's when I got into competitive battling etc. rather than just on playing through it). Excellent news.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1595 on: May 07, 2014, 09:49:16 AM »
It'd be pretty ridiculous to release them on the 3DS as a full standalone game and not as a 'lil download and not do a full-3D remake. I'd expect a full make-over with not just cosmetic alterations, but the new game mechanics as well. It looks like the two legendaries are in Super form as well, though that's not confirmed, I think it's pretty obvious...

Here's a link to a trailer of just the boxes.  :lol I'd stay at Serebii.net if you want all the up to date info. No better place.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1596 on: May 07, 2014, 11:10:12 AM »
It's surreal that Pokemon I caught 11 years ago can finally return home to Hoenn.  :heart

While I dislike Hoenn's massive amount of sea routes, the main island is still my favorite region in the series.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1597 on: May 07, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
Hoenn is bloody wonderful. Didn't think this was coming, but I'm glad it's here - think it's my favourite game bar Black and White.

Secret Bases were made for 3DS Streetpass. Ruby and Sapphire were a full decade ahead of their time. Absolutely stupendous. There's something about those games. Johto was right next to Kanto, and it felt it, but Hoenn was a million miles away. All rainforests and ancient ruins. A lot to discover. I remember being gutted it didn't have all the original pokémon, but on reflection, I think it was a brave and bold choice. Team Aqua and Magma were great, too - the first real alternative to Team Rocket, and I loved the idea of two sparring criminal organisations.

Nothing but love for these games. Hope the remakes capture what made the originals great. Frankly, they've had good form for remakes, so far, so my expectations are high.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1598 on: May 07, 2014, 11:21:39 AM »
OMG YES! They neeeeeed to bring the secret bases back. I loved that mechanic. I once did this whole thing where I'd keep doing new Ruby and Sapphire playthroughs, just so I could save new secret bases to Emerald with level teams appropriate to those areas and use it as a self imposed challenge when I got to those spots in Emerald.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1599 on: May 07, 2014, 12:40:51 PM »
They've sort of got the facility to face an AI version of your friends' team with the VS Recorder - but I loved getting experience for it, I loved exploring my brother's little dungeons and seeing how they changed. Oh, it was good.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1600 on: May 08, 2014, 11:21:15 AM »
Confirmation of full-remakes, but that's not a surprise. It's good to hear nonetheless and the other financial reports and future plans is interesting, if you don't mind a bit of a read. Ninty is in a tight spot, and quite honestly the only market I support of any console-based video game company now is Ninty through the 3DS. I don't even own a TV anymore, so as long as they keep supporting the handheld market, which they most certainly will, then I'm all good. But it's sad to see the WiiU doing so abysmally.

As long as they've got Pokemon though, they'll never have to worry, quite honestly. Any and all other monster knock-offs, even the successful ones, pale in comparison to the mighty pocket gods! Can't wait to see Hoenn in full 3D glory.

RIP DTP.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1601 on: June 07, 2014, 05:13:35 PM »

Mega Sceptile, Mega Swampert! Swampert, of whom, looks absolutely badass. That's made up my mind for me. I took Torchic on my original run, but Swampert's the one for me this time out. Already got two Blazikenites, anyway.

And... Mega Diancie! First mega-form for anything from the last two generations.

ETA: Also, since this thread was made, we've had BW2, we've had XY, and we're onto Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Can we just get rid of everything from "v." onwards?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 07:54:27 PM by robwebster »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1602 on: June 07, 2014, 08:18:11 PM »
Hellz yes! Awesome, this game is officially pre-ordered the moment it's available.

Yeah...this is henceforth, known by the British God and the Coonass Cooter as 'The Pokemon Thread'.

SO LET IT BE WRITTEN, LET I CHOOSE YOU!

RIP DTP.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1603 on: June 09, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
Man, I still haven't played Black/White. It's a shame, because I love the pokeymans, but they're still 30 god damn dollars...USED. Jesus christ these games are like 4 years old.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1604 on: June 10, 2014, 06:52:35 AM »
R4 man......R4.
Or whatever the card of the week is.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1605 on: July 09, 2014, 12:47:14 PM »
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/07/09/pokmon-omega-ruby-and-alpha-sapphire-bring-secret-bases-back
(I had IGN up but they're screenshot is the worst...anime site better gaming news than gaming site win)

This shit just got real. THAT IS GONNA BE SO FUCKIN' AWESOOOOOMMMMMME!

RIP DTP.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1606 on: August 14, 2014, 10:28:42 AM »
Just turned on Pokemon X for the first time in months, and the first Pokemon I encounter in the wild? A shiny Foongus. Repeat Ball'd that sucker.  :metal

Also, lot of Mega Evolutions revealed over the past few weeks. Lopunny, Salamence, Altaria, Audino, and funniest one of all, Slowbro's.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1607 on: August 14, 2014, 11:21:31 AM »
I somehow feel like Slowbro's ME isn't going to be used much in competitive play  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1608 on: August 25, 2014, 01:05:05 PM »
Do any of you guys have legendaries? I'm looking to complete my dex, but I'm not sure how I am going to be able to without some of the event mons

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1609 on: August 25, 2014, 01:29:25 PM »
tl;dr: No event Pokemon are required for any 'Dex completion. Use the GTS wisely and it'll go by quicker than you think. Always have an online 'dex handy for what you need and if you put the time in, you'll get there.

I've got a few but I'll be honest, I wouldn't trade them even if someone did promise me they'd trade 'em back. They were such a bitch to get for me; I've got Ruby/Crystal/Fire Red/Platinum and Black 2 but didn't have any files already created since I was planning on selling them way back when (and the nostalgia monster kicked me in the nuts), but have no old Gameboys. So I had to borrow one and haul ass on getting what I needed (which was basically all the legendaries). Anyway, my point in all this is if you want it bad enough you'll find a way. Such is the world for an aging Pokemon Master.  :lol

Most of the requirements for any in-game Dex (National/Region qualifiers) do not require any type of event Pokemon whatsoever. The slight exception to that is Rotom, who is now obtainable in-game (X/Y) through a VERY annoying way; or you can be creative and put up a decent enough monster on the GTS (I did it the in-game method but I saw my friend put up a Dragalge and he had a Rotom within about thirty minutes on GTS). Like I said, if you want it bad enough there's plenty of ways to complete the dex without going through the usual tedious process of going game-by-game and catching them yourself. The GTS has revolutionized this aspect and it's easier than ever; it'll still take some time to do it but then again if you're not willing to do that...Professor Oak would say you don't deserve the completion.  :P ;)

It's a bitch, to be sure; but with each generation it gets easier to obtain the more rare Pokemon, with the double edge that there are more of them to obtain. It's really tailored to the people that are absolutely insane and addicted and have already been doing this for a while. I was just lucky that I didn't sell a few games that covered the generations of what I needed. Even then, after over 200 hours in X/Y (yes, I have both; 150 hours in X, 50 in Y), I still haven't completed my National Dex; if you're looking for a comparison of how much hell you'll have to go through to actually do this. Do not rely on other trainers too much because most of them out there are assholes and they'll either screw you over or taunt you. But using the GTS wisely is imperative in terms of how long it takes to complete it. That is to say, if you're doing the National Dex. If you're doing regions well...that's child's play.  :lol

RIP DTP.