Author Topic: The Pokémon Thread v. Sun and Moon [Friend Codes in OP]  (Read 251469 times)

Offline robwebster

Re: The Pokémon Thread v. Black and White [Friend Codes in OP]
« Reply #1400 on: April 06, 2013, 05:35:32 PM »
https://www.pokemon.com/pokemonxy/en-us

New pokemon! And they're calling it a new pokemon, rather than a form-switch, which is good. I'm still not sold on all that form nonsense.

What I'd really like, is if it's not a legendary. Common pokemon. Bit less powerful than his, er, well-known ally, but mass produced, in accordance with the genetic modification vibe. Not like a generic cave-popper-upper, not to the extent of a zubat - rather, rare but breedable, like a metagross, or a volcarona, or a milotic.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1401 on: April 06, 2013, 06:17:04 PM »
Even though it's Mewtwo? Cuz it looks like Mewtwo.  :lol

Mewthree? The experiment gone right?
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1402 on: April 06, 2013, 06:57:22 PM »
And mewtwo looks a bit like mew, plusle looks like minun looks like pikachu, alomomola looks like luvdisc, manaphy looks like phione. (And phione's breedable!)

I imagine they'll want to do something different with it. Or hope, anyway. Why make another superpowered psychic type who looks a bit like mewtwo? I'm crossing my fingers it's a pseudo-legendary, rather than a legendary. Catchable, breedable, multiple genders, maybe a couple of the strongest in-game trainers use them, etc.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1403 on: April 06, 2013, 07:09:42 PM »
It'd be mean to have it be a trade evolution.  I feel its the evolution of Mewtwo, but then again....that trade evolution would make sense.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1404 on: May 11, 2013, 10:43:07 AM »
Newtwo is a form switch. Bah.

Speaking of bah - you can ride a goat!!!

Look! Gogoat! Being ridden, in the picture beneath! Finally, I can be the pokemon goatrider I always dreamed of. Also pictured are a natty lizard, a fake panda that looks almost exactly like a real panda, and a presumably common bird we'll all inevitably learn to hate.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1405 on: May 11, 2013, 10:53:21 AM »
I actually really like those designs. I mean, anything that doesn't look like a fucking toaster or any other kind of household object and/or tree-monster will be good in my book. But these designs at least look like they have some imagination to them, I really like the ram-looking monster. Interesting that it seems to be grass-like.. Awesome that we can ride it.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1406 on: May 11, 2013, 10:57:56 AM »
Yep, it is grass-like! Exactly grass-like.

Panda's fighting, robin's normal and flying, and the lizard is... electric and normal! For reasons, I'm sure, that will become obvious at some point, but aren't at all quite yet.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1407 on: May 11, 2013, 11:01:22 AM »
Electric lizard, nice! He looks a bit odd, I'm wondering what those lines on the top of his head are.... his head separates and he shoots lightning bolts from his brain!  :metal I can't wait to see the latter-form evolutions and the 'higher-tier' monsters. I have a feeling there's going to be some badass incarnations this time around. I really love the legendary designs so hopefully that'll show in other pokemon who aren't quite 'legendary' status.

RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1408 on: May 11, 2013, 12:11:39 PM »
I can't wait to get me a 3DS XL when this launches.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1409 on: May 11, 2013, 12:12:37 PM »
The grass goat looks baller.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1410 on: May 11, 2013, 12:26:11 PM »
I'd buy one ahead of time if I were you, Chino. No joke, those systems, both normal and XL, will be flying off the shelves come September. There's going to be so many people buying a system just for X/Y... It's gonna be bonkers. Plus there's plenty of amazing games coming out before then as well. Then again...there might be a special edition coming with these games. I mean, I doubt the US would get it even if there is one, but it's possible... I'm surprised we even got the Pikachu special edition, which might have counted as our X/Y special edition... Which I wanted terribly....  :sadpanda:

RIP DTP.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #1411 on: May 11, 2013, 12:41:13 PM »
I love all of them.
We are only 10 pokemons into the Gen and it already looks better than IV and V.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1412 on: May 11, 2013, 12:58:22 PM »
I love all of them.
IV, I agree. But I love V to pieces. It's one of my very best ones. Black and White is certainly the most satisfied I've been with a new pokemon game since... well, it might just be the most satisfied I've been with a new pokemon game!

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #1413 on: May 11, 2013, 01:06:32 PM »
I love all of them.
IV, I agree. But I love V to pieces. It's one of my very best ones. Black and White is certainly the most satisfied I've been with a new pokemon game since... well, it might just be the most satisfied I've been with a new pokemon game!
I loved the game, the Pokemons not so much.
IV was the worst Gen in terms of game and Pokemons. The only good thing about the Gen is Platinum and SS/HG.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1414 on: May 14, 2013, 06:24:51 AM »
I'd buy one ahead of time if I were you, Chino. No joke, those systems, both normal and XL, will be flying off the shelves come September. There's going to be so many people buying a system just for X/Y... It's gonna be bonkers. Plus there's plenty of amazing games coming out before then as well. Then again...there might be a special edition coming with these games. I mean, I doubt the US would get it even if there is one, but it's possible... I'm surprised we even got the Pikachu special edition, which might have counted as our X/Y special edition... Which I wanted terribly....  :sadpanda:

I'm just afraid I'm going to buy one and have a new model released two weeks later :/

On a side note: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUTJeYr_3n0&sns=em

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1415 on: May 14, 2013, 09:52:50 AM »
That is a very legitimate fear when it comes to Nintendo... However, that's probably the case in Japan and maybe Europe, but I really don't see the US getting any other special editions for quite some time. There's that rumor about yet another 3DS model coming out, but I have my doubts... Mainly because I just had to buy another 3DS XL after a 4-year-old broke my other one in half... So more hoping than anything... Urrrgh cause if there's one coming out and it's even bigger or has a new screen or some shit, I'm gonna have to buy it.

God damn it that looks SO FRIGGIN' FUN! I am so loving this new European setting/Alter-Paris-type-deal. It really works well with the vibe of Pokemon, oddly enough. ALSO OMG WE CAN SIT ON FUCKING BENCHES IWANTTHISGAMENAAAAAOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 09:58:38 AM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1416 on: May 14, 2013, 10:19:09 AM »
I didn't mean a special edition, I meant an entirely new model. If there was ever going to be a good time for Nintendo to release a new one, it would be right before the release of the first 3D pokemon game. They'd sell a shitload of them. I imagine if they don't announce a new one within a month of the pokemon game being released, then there isn't going to be one this year.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1417 on: May 14, 2013, 10:24:40 AM »
Ah, okay... Yeah, that's a better bet. It'd be cool, but I'm not sure what else they can do to improve it... the XL is huge and awesome as is, and with the 3D effects, I don't know if making a smaller one is smart... If they do in fact announce one, I'd be very interested in seeing what improvements are made.

RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1418 on: May 14, 2013, 10:41:44 AM »
Ah, okay... Yeah, that's a better bet. It'd be cool, but I'm not sure what else they can do to improve it... the XL is huge and awesome as is, and with the 3D effects, I don't know if making a smaller one is smart... If they do in fact announce one, I'd be very interested in seeing what improvements are made.

Battery life and a second stick would be on my wishlist.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1419 on: May 15, 2013, 12:28:11 PM »
So....I did it. I bought Black V2. After all the hype over X/Y and seeing the new gameplay, hearing the sounds, my Pokeboner nearly blew. I needed something to satiate my desires for the Pokeverse. And wow... Rob, you were right; this is awesome. They did such a wonderful job on this game, it's pretty much the closest thing you can get to rediscovering the Pokeverse. There's not many rehashes or ideas that have just been churned through, this time around it feels like an actual new Pokemon game with a new world; and despite the fact that it's totally not 3D, they did a splendid job of toying with the sprites and few polygons they have to create a pseudo-3D perspective. Very nice. I like the new Pokemon they have for the most part, and while there's that one or two that make me say 'ugh' (the gears...and I saw a deer somewhere... I just browsed Serebii.net's Pokedex before I bought it just now), but overall it loks amazing. I'm having a great time exploring and discovering this new region.

All that said...there's no way this will completely satisfy my desire for X. So I went ahead and paid off my reserve for X (and yes, I'm getting X. Anyone who says the deer is stupid is a stupid dumb-butt-nose and hasn't seen Priness Mononoke and doesn't know how amazing the Forest God is, who the legendary for X looks very much like and I'll bet was inspired by so SHUT UP X IS AWESOME). I cannot wait. I mean really, even with this whole new game and world it still feels like I am about to burst at the seams. RAR! But this will do, it's very fun and awesome but I'm just ready to run around in 3D with an analog stick in a Pokemon game and be amazed.

I wonder if they'll have any transfers from the V2's to X/Y? That would make this purchase even more awesome; though I don't expect any. I actually wouldn't care at all because it's like this is a totally new start for Pokemon...but anyway, it'd be cool.

RIP DTP.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1420 on: May 15, 2013, 01:14:20 PM »
Hurrah!! Glad you're liking it! It's the correct response.

BW2 are very new, very innovative - a proper sequel is, in itself, brand new - but quite counterintuitively, it's the first two installments that really broke the mould. First two games had no pre-V pokemon at all until the post-game, and the plot bits intertwine with the gym bits in a way no game before or since even attempts. But... I think it says a lot of good things about the quality of this generation when BW2 are the "trad" ones. They're also the ones I've sunk the most time into, mind. BW are braver, but I think BW2 might've found a sweet spot.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1421 on: May 15, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »
Guys guys GUYS!

The current Mystery Gift Pokemon is Deoxys! Download him into your Black 2 or White 2 while you can. I think this only lasts until the end of May.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1422 on: May 18, 2013, 06:12:20 AM »
It does - got mine!

I never got into EVs, IVs and natures, because I knew it was exactly the kind of thing that'd spoil my enjoyment of the games. All that chain breeding and everstones and curating beneficial natures - too much like hard work, not enough like good fun. It's like being an audiophile. I'm sure it's great when it works, and you have full control of everything that happens, I don't know how much day to day joy anyone can get out of being a perfectionist in that way.

At the end of the last generation and throughout the whole of this one, I've ended up a little bit seduced by EVs, IVs and natures - thanks, pokerus and Battle Subway - but I'm happy, because I never became a perfectionist and found I was more of a prettydamngoodist. I'm disappointed when the man says my pokémon are "good all round" - it's the pokémon equivalent of "You've got a really nice personality" - but I'm more than happy with anything from "above average" upwards, especially if they're "fantastic" in one of the key stats.

Deoxys, I figured, is a bit more "once in a lifetime," so after mercifully few resets, (certainly compared to my Black Tower shiny Gabite,) I got one with a top notch special attack stat, and a nature that boosted it. 26 litwicks later, I am very, very happy with my mystery gift. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #1423 on: May 19, 2013, 12:14:59 PM »
It does - got mine!

I never got into EVs, IVs and natures, because I knew it was exactly the kind of thing that'd spoil my enjoyment of the games. All that chain breeding and everstones and curating beneficial natures - too much like hard work, not enough like good fun. It's like being an audiophile. I'm sure it's great when it works, and you have full control of everything that happens, I don't know how much day to day joy anyone can get out of being a perfectionist in that way.

I do a half assed EV training. That means I use Protein/Carbos/Iron etc and pick the natures. But thats it.
I don't go around defeating 100 hundred Geodudes to max out my Defense EVs, but I like picking natures and breeding Pňkemons for egg moves and what not.

Also supossedely this new gen is gonna make EV training a little bit easier because theres supossed to be a facility to see your pokemons EVs in the game.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1424 on: May 19, 2013, 12:59:08 PM »
Oh, nice! Yes, that will be very welcome.

Know what you mean on how long it takes. I've got pokerus, and power items for each stat, so I can max an EV in twenty-five paces. Don't even have to keep count, my PP tells me exactly how far along I am. Tried it without the pokerus, briefly, but I started to resent my teams for it, so I went "screw it" and traded someone across. Fifty basculin for a full speed stat felt beyond arduous. If it weren't easy, I wouldn't do it, and I'm very lucky it's as easy for me as it is.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1425 on: May 19, 2013, 01:33:41 PM »
Oh boy, I have some research to do. I have no idea what you dudes are talking about.  :lol Have the mechanics of the game really changed that much in the years I haven't played? I heard of EVs in the past, but only in passing and thought it was more of a...loophole? Or rather a really in-depth way of tweaking with the structure of how the Pokemon level up and such... I didn't think it was a built-in game mechanic meant to be used by the player, I haven't heard any mention of the sort in V2 so far... wahhhh!

RIP DTP.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1426 on: May 19, 2013, 01:46:03 PM »
No, don't worry - it's very, very optional! You're basically right, it's exactly a loophole; EVs and IVs are the system by which a pokemon's stats are determined. A player can, should they choose, make affirmative choices to ensure certain stats reach their full potential (we've been able to give them vitamins like protein, iron, carbos et al. right from Gen I,) and there are facilities in-game that monitor and reward it (you can phone Bianca, ask her how much effort your Pokémon's put in, used to get a ribbon for it,) but it's far, far, far from essential. It's useful for taking on high-tier challenges, but I don't think even the most die-hard Pokémon nut would recommend faffing about with EVs until long after you've beaten the main game. The game, increasingly, has facilitated these kinds of processes, and made them gradually easier, but it's way beyond anything anyone needs for any part of the story mode.

Don't worry about it! Enjoy B2. q:

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1427 on: May 19, 2013, 04:43:59 PM »
Yeah Tio, IVs and EVs can pretty much be ignored completely if you're just playing the main game. It's battling online with other players where you'd want to take those things into consideration.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1428 on: May 19, 2013, 09:19:31 PM »
Ah, phew! Thank you, that's good to know. I'll continue with my nonchalance in the face of Pokemasterdom.  :P  :tup Really enjoying it still; this will certainly tide me over till X. Even so... I find myself checking Serebii.net everyday for new X/Y info.

RIP DTP.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #1429 on: May 20, 2013, 09:09:06 AM »
Ah, phew! Thank you, that's good to know. I'll continue with my nonchalance in the face of Pokemasterdom.  :P  :tup Really enjoying it still; this will certainly tide me over till X. Even so... I find myself checking Serebii.net everyday for new X/Y info.
Info we know:
>Sylveon is not a previous Eveeloution type and it's weak to Poison.
>You can now walk in 8 directions
>You can ride certain pokemons in certain areas
>You can choose your player's skin and hair color
>The map
>Mewtwo gets a new form

What the "leakers" are saying:
>Starters are Fire/Psychic Water/Dark Grass/Fighting
>Mewtwo is getting another form
>Sylveon is a new type called Fairy it's inmune and strong too Dragon and weak to Steel and Poison
>A lot of previous gen pokemons are going to be rebranded to Fairy
>Theres going to be some baby pokemons and some evolutions for previous pokemons
>Theres going to be a racing minigame

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1430 on: May 20, 2013, 09:43:09 AM »
If we're really getting... um, that, then I suppose a lot of previous Normal types are getting rebranded. Clefairy, obviously.  ;D

And that really excites me.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1431 on: May 20, 2013, 09:58:01 AM »
All of that sounds amazing and damn you for telling me. I really want this now. Rararar!

RIP DTP.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #1432 on: May 20, 2013, 10:23:26 AM »
If we're really getting... um, that, then I suppose a lot of previous Normal types are getting rebranded. Clefairy, obviously.  ;D

And that really excites me.
I saved everything the "leaker" said in case he is actually right, here is the list. I'm not spoilering it because, fuck it:

Clefairy, Togepi, Jigglypuff, Chansey, Lickitung, Snorlax, Dunsparce, Audino, Snubbull, Skitty, and Whismur, plus their evolutions/pre-evolutions, all have their Normal replaced with Fairy.

Mawile, Absol, Misdreavus, Milotic (but not Feebas), Chimecho, Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf and their evolutions all gain the Fairy-type.

For the new evos:

Eevee, Mawile, Sableye, Dunsparce, Bannette, Tauros, Heracross, Pinsir, Bisharp, Maractus, Cryogonal, and Drifloon for evolutions.

Lickitung, Throh/Sawk (shared), and Absol have the Babies.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1433 on: May 20, 2013, 11:10:41 AM »
It's rumours, so I think not spoilering is fine. I really, really want that to be true. A new type. I'm really excited. And a lot of those Pokemon have really cool designs, and great niches, but typing too generic to quite take advantage of them. They could do with a bit of uniqueness thrust upon them.

The strengths and weaknesses are good, too. Poison is a great, great defensive type, but a little average offensively, whereas dragons seriously need taking down a peg. Yes; I really, really like this. Fingers crossed. If it's a hoax, it's a clever hoax, from someone who's very enthusiastic about the games.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #1434 on: May 20, 2013, 11:28:17 AM »
It's rumours, so I think not spoilering is fine. I really, really want that to be true. A new type. I'm really excited. And a lot of those Pokemon have really cool designs, and great niches, but typing too generic to quite take advantage of them. They could do with a bit of uniqueness thrust upon them.

The strengths and weaknesses are good, too. Poison is a great, great defensive type, but a little average offensively, whereas dragons seriously need taking down a peg. Yes; I really, really like this. Fingers crossed. If it's a hoax, it's a clever hoax, from someone who's very enthusiastic about the games.
If Snorlax gets Fairy, and Fairy is strong against Dragon, then Snorlax is going to wreck everybodys shit.