Author Topic: The Pokémon Thread v. Sun and Moon [Friend Codes in OP]  (Read 250675 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Pokémon Thread v. Black and White [Friend Codes in OP]
« Reply #1330 on: March 26, 2012, 01:59:40 PM »
I've decided that I'm going to try my hand at NU battling online.  Seems a bit more diverse than the other competitive tiers and I don't have to deal with Salamence, Magic Bounce Espeon, or Volcarona fucking up my shit all the time (DAMN YOU ROBWEBSTER).  I'm building a team around Leafeon, because she's a beast. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:33:30 PM by skydivingninja »

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1331 on: March 26, 2012, 06:18:37 PM »
I only have Heart Gold.
And I need to re-config my DS after I got a new router.

Gimme a couple days I might be able to help if you don't get any bites sooner than that.
Thanks for the offer but sonata ended up helping me out earlier this evening.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1332 on: April 02, 2012, 07:45:43 AM »
u gais liek my nu avvy?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1333 on: April 02, 2012, 07:46:31 AM »
I approve.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ehra

« Reply #1334 on: April 22, 2012, 04:52:05 PM »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1335 on: April 22, 2012, 06:33:13 PM »
Nice. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: April 22, 2012, 06:50:56 PM »
I love how, just to go the extra mile, Abra is given a gender. :lol

Edit: A quick Bulbapedia check shows that Abras aren't genderless. I thought they were. Nevermind lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1338 on: April 22, 2012, 07:22:57 PM »

Edit: A quick Bulbapedia check shows that Abras aren't genderless. I thought they were. Nevermind lol
However, this Zubat is genderless for some reason. :lol

Offline ehra

« Reply #1339 on: September 26, 2012, 10:27:25 AM »
So I read a bit about Black and White 2 and found out they're adding difficulty modes, which is pretty cool. An Assist Mode that makes that decreases enemy levels and AI (lol) and Challenge Mode which does the opposite. This seemed great since I always thought going through the game itself was pretty boring and the only interesting part was the concept of raising the pokemon rather than the fights you need to slog through to do so, being able to make things a bit harder would help.

Except you need to unlock them by beating the game's Pokemon Champion. And the modes are version specific; only Black unlocks Challenge and only White unlocks Assist.

You need to beat the game in order to unlock easy mode.

What the actual fuck.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1340 on: September 26, 2012, 10:31:42 AM »

However, this Zubat is genderless for some reason. :lol

They are all born pregnant, no need for sex... that explains why there are so many of them in the cave.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1341 on: September 26, 2012, 11:00:30 AM »
They are all born pregnant....

What about the fetus? They must be pregnant too if they are at birth. All I can think of is this.

But with Zubats.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1342 on: September 26, 2012, 01:00:32 PM »
So I read a bit about Black and White 2 and found out they're adding difficulty modes, which is pretty cool. An Assist Mode that makes that decreases enemy levels and AI (lol) and Challenge Mode which does the opposite. This seemed great since I always thought going through the game itself was pretty boring and the only interesting part was the concept of raising the pokemon rather than the fights you need to slog through to do so, being able to make things a bit harder would help.
Fucking A!

Except you need to unlock them by beating the game's Pokemon Champion. And the modes are version specific; only Black unlocks Challenge and only White unlocks Assist.

What the actual fuck.
Fucking... eh!?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1343 on: September 26, 2012, 01:03:05 PM »
They are all born pregnant....

What about the fetus? They must be pregnant too if they are at birth.

The fetus of the fetus is simply two-joined gametes that are in a state of suspended animation until the first fetus is delivered.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #1344 on: September 26, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »
Playing a lot of SoulSilver on my 3DSXL.  Waiting for Black and White 2 feverishly.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1345 on: January 03, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
Since I lost my 3ds almost a year ago. I got a new one with a new Black card. So that means new friend code...

0992-0676-4564
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 09:38:00 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1346 on: January 04, 2013, 04:05:11 PM »
Neat! Speaking of, anyone got the sequels?

I'm on Black 2, got it in October, three sightings away from completing the Unova dex. Skitty, Rufflet, Reshiram. I think that's all I need. There's two more gaps, but I think they might be unobtainable legendaries. Meloetta and... the water-horse, Sea Biscuit, whatever he's called. Can't connect my DS to the internet at the mo, laptop's out of action, but think I'll have a new friend code when I can. Happy to trade to help fill anyone else's dexes.

Spending a lot of time in Black Tower. Just discovered it two days ago - it's ace, isn't it?! Like Battle Subway, except you gain experience! Way more fun. I lost White a while ago - I fear it might've been hoovered, but I'm hoping the back of the sofa might contain answers. Been... not quite rebuilding my team, but I've taken N's Zorua, he's up to level 97, and does everything my old Zoroark did and more. But I've put him away for Black Tower, because at the moment he feels like cheating.

I've also got a dream world Eevee that I'm thinking I'll turn into an Espeon. I miss my old dream world Espeon, and I don't know if I can get another Eevee with its hidden ability, (don't tell me!) so I'm leaning to getting the old team back together. I'll replace my old Scizor, one day, too - but at the moment, my Black Tower team's looking like this.

Carracosta (lv. 63) - Aqua Jet, Shell Smash, Earthquake, Crunch - Solid Rock
Nidoqueen (lv. 64) - Earth Power, Toxic Spikes, Sludge Bomb, Flamethrower - Sheer Force (!!)
Zebstrika (lv. 64) - Wild Charge, Bounce, Thrash, Flame Charge - Motor Drive
Minccino (lv. 42) - Tail Slap, Encore, Bullet Seed, Rock Smash - Skill Link

Last one's being trained up. Got an EXP Share as we're going through. Skill Link's ace, though. And they're all new to me! It's fun. BW2 is breathing a lot of new life into the franchise. Not quite as much as Black and White did, mind. This generation's been good at life-breathing. Exciting stuff.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1347 on: January 04, 2013, 04:07:05 PM »
Also, now that I've played the games...
Fucking A!

What the actual fuck.
Fucking... eh!?
...A few months on, turns out you can unlock the modes for your friends. Defeating the elite four gives you a key, which you can give your friends copies of via infra-red. So my brother's not finished, but I've sent him hard mode, and he can choose between normal and hard. When he's finished, he'll be able to send me easy mode, and we'll both be able to pick from all three. So that's that mystery solved. Not as maniacal as it sounded! Thank god.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1348 on: January 04, 2013, 06:05:24 PM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1349 on: January 04, 2013, 09:07:53 PM »
Awesome...i wanna do that now.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1350 on: January 05, 2013, 04:19:48 PM »
So I've been constantly playing Black 2 the past few days. Great game. And I've also made the discovery of how much serious ass Chandelure kicks.

Online Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1351 on: January 05, 2013, 05:47:48 PM »
I haven't been even playing it to train Pokemon. I've been obsessed for about three weeks now with getting every shop in Join Avenue and maxing out their ranks.  :lol Already reaching the point where I've done everything the game has to offer.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1352 on: January 05, 2013, 08:16:28 PM »
Yeah - I've been pretty Join Avenue obsessed! And I just completed the dex, today. Only the first stage. Saw all Unova pokemon. The reward is so, so cool. If you've not got it, I won't spoil it. Can't wait to find out what happens if I catch them all. Decided to wait til midnight, and combine it with the "fifty pokemon captured in a day" medal. 3 A.M. and I'm above thirty. I've filled a box. Feels good!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1353 on: January 05, 2013, 08:18:45 PM »
I haven't even started on Join Avenue yet. I will sometime soon though.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1354 on: January 05, 2013, 08:20:44 PM »
There's no hurry. Spend time with your Chandelure. Because you're right, it's brilliant.

Online Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1355 on: January 05, 2013, 08:30:35 PM »
That, and building up Join Avenue is very time consuming. You can only do so much with the few people who visit it each day. But once you start upgrading the shops it gets very addicting.

Just have patience with it, and remember that after rank 15 (and beating the champ) you can finally get the Nursery shop. Good for egg hatching.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1356 on: January 07, 2013, 02:28:14 PM »
I'm starting to max out a lot of the shops. So much cool stuff. I am a little tempted to just replace them all with Lucky Stars and try to harvest Master Balls, but I'd only regret it after the eighth Berry Juice of the day. God knows I'm sick of the antiques lady giving me Hard Stones at a variety of prices. Eighty bloody Hard Stones, I've got.

On a happier note, I've just reached Area 10 of Black Tower. I think it might be the final level, because the floor's gone red, and the medals describe 1-5 as "Easy" and 6-10 as "Hard." Plus, the boss trainers are using progressively more legendary pokemon. Articuno and Entei in area 9, I'm expecting a full party of three on this floor. Unless there's a "Champion!!" difficulty or something, but there can't be that many areas, or the "Which area would you like to challenge?" list would get unwieldy. I wouldn't be surprised if it went up to fifteen, twenty at a push. Part of me's terrified it'll go all the way to fifty. I'd say "surely not," but I don't want to tempt fate. It might go up to fifty.

Still rocking Cinccino, Carracosta, Nidoqueen and Zebstrika. All in their seventies now, though. They've been revelations - Skill Link is an amazing ability, and I love Carracosta more than I ever thought possible. Zebstrika, the one I was expecting to be the most useful, is actually the weak link, if there is one. She's level 74, the other three are 76 and two 77s. Her attack's higher than Nidoqueen's special attack, so she shouldn't feel as comparatively puny as she does, but I think Sheer Force nudges it in Nidoqueen's favour. I've replaced Sludge Bomb with Blizzard - strength of a bloody Hyper Beam. 20% less accurate, but ice is a fantastic attack type, and it doesn't come with a recharge time, so I think it beats it quite happily.

ETA: Yes, it was the last floor, yes, I beat it with the same team of four, (Why four? Why was I doing this to myself?!) and yes, the prize was totally worth it. Now doing my Join Avenue. "Oh! Dubious Disc! That's what was inside the Super Big Box." What kind of a fucked up antiques shop is this?!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:53:38 PM by robwebster »

Online Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1357 on: January 07, 2013, 08:36:51 PM »
I traded keys and did both Black Tower and White Treehollow. Was disappointed that when you go through the other game's area on your version that you don't get the shiny Pokemon like you would otherwise. But both are done.

Anything more than 10 floors would have been overkill, Rob. I would have just said fuck it.  :lol It's bad enough once the final areas consist of three floors, one of which might not even have the gate trainer or the gate on it.

Also, there's a massive Pokemon announcement tomorrow at Nintendo Direct. Very hyped. All we know right now is it's a 3DS game. Generation 6? Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald remakes? Who knows? But I'm very excited. Hoping it isn't something stupid.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1358 on: January 07, 2013, 09:22:38 PM »
It's been just under three years since the fifth generation was announced, so it seems like it could be a little... early, to be announcing a new generation of pokemon. That said, if they're not doing remakes of Ruby and Sapphire then this might be about right, timewise. Puts them a whole game ahead of schedule.

I'd always figured they probably would remake RS, simply for the reason that the original cartridges' batteries will run out after a given length of time, so they'd need to bring them onto the DS cards in order to keep the games alive. That said, they'd need to do that for FRLG, too, and 3DS has DLC support, doesn't it? So they might bypass the remaking bit, port them into the 3DS arcade, and move straight onto generation six.

Ah - speculation! I couldn't have known, fifteen years ago, that I would still be doing this as a full-grown adult. I just really, really hoped.

Actually, I do remember finding out that a Pokemon Gold and a Pokemon Silver were in development. The mind boggled! I ended up with this poster, from inside a games magazine (Ha! Games magazines! Remember them!?) which listed all the new pokemon, with their names and numbers, a full few months before the games were released. That was interminable, I think the shipments were delayed due to flooding or something, and as much as I hated that, it meant I knew all the pokemon inside out by the time the games were released. Some people got them early. Remember seeing people playing them in Japanese, first, but even I thought that was stupid - exciting bit was when a couple of people, just one or two, turned up with copies from the USA, fully translated, ready to rock. I had never wanted a Christmas present more in my life. Still haven't!

Bloody got it and all. Never asked how it happened, just knew I loved my parents. Or Santa. Or oh, who cares, I've got a Totodile!! And here I am now, in my twenties, having just defeated gym leaders from five different regions in the tournaments at Driftveil City, once again wondering what the next set of pokemon's gonna bring. Mad! If I could see me now.

God. I'm going to be a terrible grandparent, aren't I? The kind who yabbers constantly at poor Hector and Phyllis about the good ol' days. I'm already half way there.

Or, no, worse. I'm going to be that wizened old bastard with the Weedle in Viridian City.

"FIRST, YOU NEED A POKÉBALL..."

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1359 on: January 08, 2013, 04:18:40 AM »
POKEMON X AND Y WOOOOOOOT

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1360 on: January 08, 2013, 05:29:54 AM »
Looks like I'm getting a 3DS

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1361 on: January 08, 2013, 06:12:17 AM »
Looks like I'm getting a 3DS
Hahahaha - this!! Bring it on!

I am all about Froakie. Which will make my third water starter running. And my fourth, total. Pull your fingers out, grass and fire.

ETA: Okay, watched the trailer now - wasn't sure at first! The new style is... very different. The more I see it, though, the more I like it. I'm excited, now. Properly, really excited.

Also, you know how the Pokemon games are all sort-of based on real life places? Formerly the islands of Japan, and Unova was based on the USA? This looks European, to me. I've picked up a Parisian tower, a Spanish desert, and what looks like an old English bridge with a Golurk statue outside. I bet England's full of Stoutland. Just the name reeks of England.

The starters reinforce this. A fox, a sort of squirrel thing, and a very academic looking frog. For me, this is doubly exciting. I love the idea of seeing my own world through different lenses. I bet there's a venetian looking city. If it's a theme park of Europe, there's always a venetian looking city. People bloody love canals. And, female protagonist with long, blonde hair? Yeah, Ł20 on Europe.

Also - simultaneous worldwide release!! This is so cool. This is going to be SUCH a cool generation. Although, V's been brilliant, too. Almost a shame it's been so short, but there we go, skipping the remakes. Franchise keeps changing. That's good. By Sinnoh, it was getting formulaic. What a leap ahead! I do hope it keeps the pace of Black and White, though. Going from the Soul Silver battling to the Black and White battling, absolute revelation. Still just as snazzy, but much more efficient. Hope it doesn't become bloated in 3D. And this is proper 3D. This is brand new. Fantastic.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:29:03 AM by robwebster »

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1362 on: January 08, 2013, 06:04:34 PM »
Oh my, that new water-starter is fantastic. The last water-starter I chose was Totodile, so that's saying something. I do think this looks excellent, and for what it's worth even the legendary Pokemon look somewhat enticing. I love the European influence as well; hopefully we'll get to wander around a large, fancy Baroque-era castle or something of the sort.

Being an artist, and a pixel artist at that, I'm quite sad to see the pixel art/sprites go. They've been there since the beginning when I was so young and first caught a Caterpie. Now, the fancy 3D is taking over. While I'm happy to see a new direction, I will certainly miss the era of pixel art games--truly a dying form. Ah, well. Grandly excited for the new generation, which came out of nowhere, I might add. Hopefully it'll do just what Black and White did and feel like a re-invention of Red, Blue, and Yellow. Looking forward to it.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1364 on: January 08, 2013, 06:32:49 PM »
Fucking hell. I still need to play Black/White.  :lol
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH