Author Topic: The Pokémon Thread v. Sun and Moon [Friend Codes in OP]  (Read 250592 times)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: The Pokémon Thread v. Black and White [Friend Codes in OP]
« Reply #1295 on: February 26, 2012, 10:23:43 PM »
I also hate that the designs look so wonky and don't fit Kyurem at all.  How does he go from a sleek aerodynamic radular death machine to body attachments for the other two.  Overall this just disappoints me so far.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1296 on: February 26, 2012, 11:57:11 PM »
I feel like if they actually do this right, the two sequels could be absolutely amazing. There was a lot left unsaid at the end of B&W.

It's the two game thing that bugs me. I can't think of any reason they would need to split it into two different games. Just a ploy to get even more money from fans of the series, as I imagine the changes between the two are going to be pretty much the same as the current differences between black and white...
3 games per generation is fine, but 4 is a ploy to get more money?

Personally I'm not a fan of the 2 game split either, but the appeal of the original games was to trade with different games to get all of them so that isn't too big of a deal to me. There is no real reason to have 2 "sequel" games, because all of the version exclusive Pokemon were in the last versions. So yes.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1297 on: February 27, 2012, 03:08:15 AM »
I'm actually surprised it's taken them 5 generations to make a double sequel.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: February 27, 2012, 06:41:47 AM »
You're one of the few I've come across that prefers one of the latter generations to the earlier ones.  :P
While I enjoy Black/White, I would still rank Gold/Silver/Crystal higher, those were the golden days of Pokemon IMO. I don't know, I guess one thing that might affect my opinion a lot is my own experience and history related to it, because I have very fond memories of playing through Gen 1 and 2, and also following the anime back then. Those warm memories might change my outlook on the rest. While I think that Black/White are good games, I think that in terms of Pokemon, the B/W-ones aren't as "exciting" or original as the first two generations.

I feel like Black and White was able to recreate the magic of playing though those Game Boy games for the first time (all new pokemon in the story mode), and also had probably the most interesting story and antagonists compared to all the others.  I mean, its not Shakespeare, but you feel like you're actually fighting people rather than just "generic team space-related thing."  Plus there's all the end-game stuff which I found to be a lot of fun. 

I didn't play GSC as a kid and wasn't blown away by the remakes, though it was cool to go back to Kanto. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1299 on: February 27, 2012, 07:32:19 AM »
I agree with you that I really enjoyed the all new pokemon in the story mode part. While I still don't feel sold on the new pokemons themselves, it was a nice and refreshing thing. If it had been like previous games, I probably would have gone for a team with the starter, plus five pokemons from the first two generations. What I liked about Black/White was that they brought a whole new "feel" with them. I didn't feel like a Pokemon Master, despite having spent countless hours, days, weeks, months (and even years) playing the older games. I felt like a complete newbie, and had pretty much no idea about what kind of team to form. So that part was exciting, I had to use my knowledge and imagination, and sorta form my team as I went along. It wasn't like when I started Heart Gold when I knew pretty much what Pokemon to catch, when and where to catch them.

Out of the three games I have on DS, Heart Gold is the one I've spent most time on. I'm at the Cerulean Gym, doing all the Power Plant-related stuff. On my Black I'm at the fifth (?) gym, or the fourth. It's the electric one at a carnival or something similar. On my white I've just reached the second town. But I'll probably put more hours into playing and actually get stuff done.  :biggrin:
Also, the only generation I haven't played is the Diamond/Pearl one, but I'm considering ordering one of those games too. Could anyone with more experience of them give me their opinion about those games? Is it worth the money (if I can find it cheap), and what of the 3(?) games should I pick up?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1300 on: February 27, 2012, 08:08:36 AM »
^^don't forget to catch your Zapados.
He appears over by the power plant during that part of the story I believe.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: February 27, 2012, 08:18:31 AM »

Don't forget to catch your shoes?  :lol

Zantera: Get Platinum, since you can get all three legendary Sinnoh dragons.  Its also one of my favorites just because its a huge upgrade from Diamond and Pearl.  While DP only had two fire types (Chimchar and Ponyta) they fixed this in Platinum and overall gave more variety to Sinnoh, which was really nice. 

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1302 on: February 27, 2012, 08:27:17 AM »
I'm still hoping for a R/S remake, as gen 3 was my favorite.  I love Gen 5's pokemon, but the combat in the game just runs it into the ground for me midgame.  I didn't enjoy the fact that no matter how much I trained I was always behind the next city, and I'm not one who enjoys grinding, I can only train hard for a very short while.  If they could fix this that would improve the game, but I'm still not happy about what they're doing with Kyurem.

Offline John94

« Reply #1303 on: February 27, 2012, 08:32:45 AM »
Can your yellow version still save?

Yeah, I bought it in 2001, late, I know. should be good to go for another 2/3 years, hopefully.

B/W 2 doesn't really interest me tbh, unless it gives you gyms/pokemon/pokedex from past generations.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1304 on: February 27, 2012, 09:44:21 AM »
You're one of the few I've come across that prefers one of the latter generations to the earlier ones.  :P
While I enjoy Black/White, I would still rank Gold/Silver/Crystal higher, those were the golden days of Pokemon IMO. I don't know, I guess one thing that might affect my opinion a lot is my own experience and history related to it, because I have very fond memories of playing through Gen 1 and 2, and also following the anime back then. Those warm memories might change my outlook on the rest. While I think that Black/White are good games, I think that in terms of Pokemon, the B/W-ones aren't as "exciting" or original as the first two generations.

I feel like Black and White was able to recreate the magic of playing though those Game Boy games for the first time (all new pokemon in the story mode), and also had probably the most interesting story and antagonists compared to all the others.  I mean, its not Shakespeare, but you feel like you're actually fighting people rather than just "generic team space-related thing."  Plus there's all the end-game stuff which I found to be a lot of fun. 

I agree, Black and White got me really excited about Pokemon again. I had played Ruby and Diamond, and while they were fun they didn't live up to the first two generations. But I had a really fun time playing through Black. I still haven't touched White even though I own it though.

The pokemon in this generation were kind of dull though. Some of them were badass, but there were a lot of useless ones as well. It is also the first time I ever leveled a pokemon to 100 (without cheating or using rare candies)... in generation 1 I got into the 60s, maybe 70s, generation II in the 80s, never finished ruby and only in the 60s for diamond.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1305 on: February 27, 2012, 10:35:37 AM »

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1307 on: February 27, 2012, 12:05:22 PM »

Don't forget to catch your shoes?  :lol

Zantera: Get Platinum, since you can get all three legendary Sinnoh dragons.  Its also one of my favorites just because its a huge upgrade from Diamond and Pearl.  While DP only had two fire types (Chimchar and Ponyta) they fixed this in Platinum and overall gave more variety to Sinnoh, which was really nice.

a slight typo
https://pokemon.marriland.com/hgss/pokedex/zapdos/

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Secor

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: February 28, 2012, 08:00:04 PM »

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1311 on: February 29, 2012, 06:32:15 PM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: February 29, 2012, 08:21:48 PM »
^^ Exactly Drew.  Almost everyone who talks about how much pokemon sucks now seem to be stuck in nostalgia-land, and while nostalgia-land is a wonderful place to live (LeafGreen is incredibly fun almost entirely because of the nostalgia factor), its not infallible. 

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1313 on: February 29, 2012, 08:24:19 PM »
So I just got Black. It's pretty good. I like how TMs are permanent.

I've beat the Pokemon League and N now. What do?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1314 on: February 29, 2012, 08:34:49 PM »
Travel around the rest of Unova.  Catch legendaries like a boss.  Do the Dream World stuff.  Become the Pokemon League champion. 

Response to this article: https://kotaku.com/5888595/ten-ways-to-make-the-next-pokemon-games-the-very-best-like-no-one-ever-was?utm_campaign=socialflow_kotaku_facebook&utm_source=kotaku_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

1. This would be cool.
2. You can't just take that away from the super-competitive crowd, who really just use Smogon/Netbattle/whatever simulation is popular right now (forgot the name of the one that is actually used now) anyways.  I'm sure if you went to a physical pokemon tournament there'd be more little kids who built teams of their favorites than teenagers who optimized their entire team.
3. I agree that the number of pokemon is getting a little ridiculous.  Maybe a break is needed. 
4. No.  Breeding is cool, and is the only way to get some cool moves on your pokemon. 
5. If you got to this point in the game I doubt there'd be a strong enough trainer to really give your gym a run for its money anyways.  Would you let other players play in your gym?  I dunno.  Its cooler that you're a trainer and not in charge of things, I think. 
6. I agree that the abilities of the legendaries are a constant game of one-upping the last generation's.  They've kinda painted themselves in a corner with Arceus though.  But as for the actual story, whatever they were smoking for Black and White really worked.  Definitely the most involved I've ever been in a Pokemon game's story.  Its not Shakespeare, but N is a pretty damn memorable character, I think. 
7. Why does this matter?  You already have stickers.
8. Co-op would be cool.
9. What could you possibly get as a reward for catching them all?  You already have them all.  What else do you need?  Besides your life back. 
10.  Your character never really gets much backstory except in R/S/E.  "You are a kid.  Go catch pokemon" is the general idea.  Except in RSE, where you are a kid whose dad is a gym leader. :P

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1315 on: March 01, 2012, 01:13:56 AM »
I sometimes get the feeling with the new pokemon that they are trying too hard. Look at some of the most loved pokemons in game - they aren't advanced or anything like that. They're pretty "simple", but that's what adds to the charm. I feel like many of the newer pokemons have too many colors, or too much going on. Keeping it more "simple" would be nice to see.  ;)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1316 on: March 01, 2012, 01:30:35 AM »
^^ Exactly Drew.  Almost everyone who talks about how much pokemon sucks now seem to be stuck in nostalgia-land, and while nostalgia-land is a wonderful place to live (LeafGreen is incredibly fun almost entirely because of the nostalgia factor), its not infallible.

Every time someone gives me that crap I just remind them that Jynx and Mr. Mime existed and walked away. Generation 1 had it's fair share of terrible Pokemon. And every generation has at least a handful of awesome ones.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1317 on: March 01, 2012, 01:49:06 AM »
https://kotaku.com/5888595/ten-ways-to-make-the-next-pokemon-games-the-very-best-like-no-one-ever-was?utm_campaign=socialflow_kotaku_facebook&utm_source=kotaku_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Half of those ideas are really stupid imo.
Yeah that looks more like a way to ruin Pokemon than anything else  :lol

Also agree with the general consensus on old vs new Pokemon. People either forget the crap Pokemon from Gen 1 or give them a pass because they're "original", while not appreciating the good ones from newer Gens because they don't even play Pokemon any more or aren't children any more.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: March 01, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
It's sad that my generation has become a bunch of cranky old men before the age of 25.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1319 on: March 01, 2012, 09:19:21 AM »
Random thought. What would you guys think about the next gen of Pokemon games have 300 pokemon? I mean, that's it, it only allows for 300. Sprinkle in some new starters and a few others, but then use 250 or so old pokemon and that's it. With them always adding it just seems to get to be too damn much now. You could trade with old games for the pokemon in the game, but not for all of them.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1320 on: March 01, 2012, 09:27:48 AM »
but they make so much off the new cards nick.
I agree it would make the games more manageable....but the card tournaments are huge and the new deck creations that come out with the new pokes are really neat.

the zekrom deck is the one to beat right now...

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1321 on: March 01, 2012, 09:56:58 AM »
I've misplaced my 3ds and now can't play for awhile. :(
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1322 on: March 01, 2012, 10:05:39 AM »

Eh. There are some pretty cool new designs, but there are also quite a few that are lame and some that are just uninspired.

Like the legendary dragons, imo. Those are pretty crappily designed pokemon. On the other hand, Hydreigon and Haxorus are brutal.  :metal

Btw, the funny thing about that picture is Gen 5 has

...Which are pretty much the same exact thing as Geodude, Grimer, and Magnemite... so that picture is a pretty bad example.  :P

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1323 on: March 01, 2012, 11:05:48 AM »

Eh. There are some pretty cool new designs, but there are also quite a few that are lame and some that are just uninspired.

Like the legendary dragons, imo. Those are pretty crappily designed pokemon. On the other hand, Hydreigon and Haxorus are brutal.  :metal

Btw, the funny thing about that picture is Gen 5 has

...Which are pretty much the same exact thing as Geodude, Grimer, and Magnemite... so that picture is a pretty bad example.  :P
Also Samurott is an otter >:I  You can't change my mind.  If he's an otter for two forms he stays an otter last form weh.

Offline John94

« Reply #1324 on: March 09, 2012, 03:49:49 PM »
I've been bored tonight so I was doing some browsing, started off with PokeLulz, then to Pokemon conspiracies (Ash is Reds brother/the coma theory/the Kangaskhan theory)...then I came across this on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/sDX1m0Y2Vkg

I know it is fan-made, but please say I'm not the only one who enjoyed the trailer..?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1325 on: March 21, 2012, 11:27:10 PM »
The Pokémon Daisuki Club has revealed the official names of the Kyurem formes known previously as Black and White Kyurem.
The formes will be known as Sparkling Blue Black Kyurem and Burning Red White Kyurem, respectively. Kyurem will change forme when its emotions get worked up and going into "Overdrive" status.
Sparkling Blue Black Kyurem and Burning Red White Kyurem will be the version mascots for the upcoming Pokémon Black and White 2.

WTF.

https://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Official_names_of_Black,_White_Kyurem_revealed

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1326 on: March 22, 2012, 08:00:44 AM »
Right.

Seems interesting.

Worked on some decks last night.
Tinkered with my big Magnazone Lvl. X deck.
And made a darkness deck from scratch, some Sabley's to start first, Zoroark line, Darkries, and Absol's.
Primes and lv. X's

it's nasty.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1327 on: March 23, 2012, 11:43:38 PM »

:3

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: March 26, 2012, 08:49:22 AM »
I need someone to trade with on Soul Silver (need to get Kingdra and Gengar). I was going to trade with an IRL friend this morning but turns out he doesn't use WEP encryption on his wireless network and he has a DS Lite.

Anyone willing to help?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1329 on: March 26, 2012, 12:29:09 PM »
I only have Heart Gold.
And I need to re-config my DS after I got a new router.

Gimme a couple days I might be able to help if you don't get any bites sooner than that.

Happy Lives to you all.