Author Topic: The Pokémon Thread v. Sun and Moon [Friend Codes in OP]  (Read 250613 times)

Offline petrucci07

Re: The Pokémon Thread v. Black and White [Friend Codes in OP]
« Reply #1155 on: October 07, 2011, 10:44:56 AM »
I'm currently raising a Garchomp and a Vaporeon.

Garchomp is Jolly so he has intense speed, moveset:

Earthquake
Outrage
Dragon Claw
Stone Edge

Vaporeon is Bold, which is awesome. Moveset:

Wish
Protect
Roar
Scald

I have both of those already! Except my Garchomp knows Fire Fang instead of Stone Edge and my Vaporeon knows Ice Beam, Surf, Toxic and Wish

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1156 on: October 07, 2011, 11:13:04 AM »
I saw on Bulbapedia that some site is starting a league for Black and White, so I'm coming up with team ideas for that. You're allowed to pick 10 pokemon, and you can only use those 10 pokemon when you battle the gym leaders and the elite 4/champion. I've never battled competeively before, so I figure this would be a better start than a tournament or something where I would be out in round 1 and not be able to do anything after that.  :lol

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1157 on: October 20, 2011, 03:55:31 PM »
I've thought a bit about maybe buying a Nintendo DS and one of the new games, but I haven't owned a Nintendo-console since my Gameboy Color back when Silver/Gold was new.  :lol
In other words, I feel completely clueless.
I know there was a new console not long ago, 3DS or something? And well, if I do buy a Nintendo DS, I don't want to buy a console that suddenly becomes useless 5 months later cause they stop making games for it, are the new Pokemon games for 3DS, normal DS or is it like the old days, work in both?

Just looking for a few recommendations, what DS should I actually pick up if I buy one? :P
Also, what game do you guys prefer out of Black and White? I could prolly look up the differences on bulbapedia, but I sorta dropped the Pokemon-ball (no pun intended) somewhere in Ruby/Sapphire, I lost the anime long before that, but I did play through Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald on Emulator, same goes for Leaf Green and Fire Red.

Thing is though, as most of you can probably agree on, it just isn't the same on Emulator.
I remember the feeling, the joy of playing Pokemon on a gameboy, it was much more personal somehow, much more fun.
So yeah, fairly long post, but anyone that could enlighten me? :)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1158 on: October 20, 2011, 05:00:36 PM »
Black and White are for the DS, not the 3DS, so you could pick up a used DS for cheap to play them.  Either one is fine, though 3DS has a lot of cool stuff coming out.

Honestly, I prefer both games.  This is the only Pokemon series where I've bought both games before the inevitable enhanced remake.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1159 on: October 20, 2011, 05:02:04 PM »
I'd say get a DS lite, an R4 card and go with Heart Gold and Black and White.
Or.

Just a DS Lite and Heart Gold.
Black and White are good...Heart Gold Soul Silver is better.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1160 on: October 20, 2011, 05:06:55 PM »
Lol.  No. 

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1161 on: October 20, 2011, 05:12:06 PM »
Get black and white. They might actually be two of my favorite Pokemon games released.

You can get any normal DS and they will work, but I'm pretty sure they aren't making games for the DS anymore. So if you want something that will stay current, go with the 3DS.

The only games I'm not wild about were Ruby/Sapphire. I stopped playing around G/S, and I bought Ruby used a few years after it came out. I got to the elite four but never beat them and then lost interest.... technically, I've never finished any game from Gen III.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1162 on: October 20, 2011, 05:50:19 PM »
I'd say get a DS lite, an R4 card and go with Heart Gold and Black and White.
Or.

Just a DS Lite and Heart Gold.
Black and White are good...Heart Gold Soul Silver is better.

This is so right on so many levels.

I used Pokemon Selector to get even Pokemon that I will never have a chance too. Sorry, that aspect of the games always annoyed me. I love Pokemon White. Nearing 50 hours played. Have about 130 hours in Soul Silver

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1163 on: October 21, 2011, 12:50:07 AM »
I'm also a bit interested in what you guys think of the newer generations of Pokemon.
Being one of 'those people' who grew up with Generation 1 and then 2, when I played Ruby and Sapphire the first time, I was really disappointed because I didn't think the Gen 3 Pokemons were nowhere near the 'quality' of the first two generations. :/

I don't know, but I think the first two generations had a more 'simple' thing going on, the designs were more.. simple but effective, meanwhile a lot of newer Pokemon's that I have seen, they just seem so... "loads of things going on at once", if you catch my drift.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1164 on: October 21, 2011, 01:53:13 AM »
I can keep going back to Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh. Unova is flat out boring. I don't know why. Once you explore the northeast part after beating the game it just feels like there's nowhere left to go. It's weird too. You have changing seasons and everything but I just don't feel like going back through the region. Just seemed rather bland to me.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1165 on: October 21, 2011, 02:17:30 AM »
Oh yeah, reminds me of another question.
In Black & White, after you beat Unova (?), is it like in Silver/Gold/Crystal that you go back to the older regions and do things there, or is it limited to just one or a few regions?

Also, I recall reading something about not being able to catch any of the older PokemAns before you beat Elite 4, is that right as well?
It actually sounds like a good idea, because then I'm more "forced" to actually bother with the new Pokemon, instead of just getting together my dream team from Pokemon Silver.  ;)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1166 on: October 21, 2011, 02:26:26 AM »
No. Part of the reason I find it so boring is that there is little left to explore after the story is over. A few extra routes and towns, and a few areas with the obligatory legendaries, but that's about it. And without even having a versus seeker around to rematch anyone, the whole place just feels dull afterward. To me, anyway. It just seemed like there was so much more to do post-game in the others.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1167 on: October 21, 2011, 10:31:55 AM »
I think every generation has its good and bad Pokémon. People who hate the new pokemon are just saying that out of nostalgia. Also, they say that because they already know all of the original Pokémon. Then, they see a couple of the new ones, and they say that they're shit just because they can't name them on the spot. I haven't seen many people who've played through the new that games with opinion.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:07:32 PM by Implode »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1168 on: October 21, 2011, 11:02:40 AM »
I might actually get Heart Gold or Soul Silver at first, and then buy Black or White later.
Seeing as Gen 2 is something I hold so dearly, it would be interesting to see the new "take" on games I loved so much when I was younger.

Seeing as I'm a total Nintendo DS NEWB, is it possible to hook it up to your computer and play against others over the net, or something like that?
I remember being young and playing against other kids at my school with link-cable, fond memories, but it's not like I would go 50 miles to battle good people or anything.  :lol

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1169 on: October 21, 2011, 12:28:45 PM »
The DS has wifi so you can play with anyone in the world straight from your DS.  :tup A bunch of people here's friend codes are in the OP.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1170 on: October 21, 2011, 12:47:52 PM »
Cool stuff.
Really excited about getting a DS now, I'll most likely get Heart Gold or Soul Silver first, then get Black or White after that. :)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1171 on: October 21, 2011, 01:10:24 PM »
I recommend Platinum too. Sinnoh has a fun "northern" vibe to it with the snow. And you wouldn't even have to worry about Diamond/Pearl because the third "ultimate" version is out.

Plus, it has Luxray. And Luxray is awesome.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1172 on: October 21, 2011, 01:15:35 PM »
What games does everyone here play then? :)
Is it mainly Black and White, or Heart Gold/Soul Silver, or Diamond/Pearl/Platinum?

Also, how does it work with trading pokemAn, is that also possible over the net?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 01:27:10 PM by Zantera »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1173 on: October 22, 2011, 01:05:19 PM »
Okay, so today I purchased a Nintendo DS and Pokemon Black.
Never got to play any of the Gen 4 games (I will eventually), so this game really felt very new, lots of new features since back in Ruby/Sapphire when I played last.

Been playing for like 1 ˝-2 hours now, just defeated the first gym-leader and got Cut.
My team right now:

*Oshawott (level 12)
*Lillipup (Level 11)
*Pansear (Level 12)

Any tips or recommendations for a newbie? Could be anything, like if there are any pokemAns I should catch (around where I am) that become OP later on.
Not even sure if the ones I have are that good, but I figured that a Fire-type might be good to have, and Lillipup just feels like this gen's useless normal pokemon, a la Sentret in Gen 2, but I don't know.. might be cool later.
Bite is fairly good this early as well.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1174 on: October 22, 2011, 01:07:33 PM »
Get a Sandile.  Krookodile is so amazing.  I'd get Chandelure to replace Pansear.  It won't be for a while, but it'll be worth it.  Lillipup is actually a great choice to keep on your team.  His final form, Stoutland, is a beast.  Actually quite useful.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1175 on: October 23, 2011, 02:11:16 AM »
Okay cool, I read that Sandile would be on Route 4 or something, and I think that's after where I'm now.
Just arrived to the town with the second gym, I haven't checked much of the city out yet, but I'll do so later today.
Since my last post, I've trained my pokemons a bit more, and I have catched two more additions to my team, Blitzle and Munna.
Have no idea if these will be good later on, but I figured that a Psychic-type and an Electric would be pretty neat to have this early in the game, gives my team a few options for future trainers.

I do know that with a bigger team, it becomes a bit more important to battle a lot against wild pokemons so that everyone gains their levels, right now I think my highest (Oshawott) is on level 15, meanwhile the others are around 12-14.
I should probably get those up a bit more, I'm not sure how high the gym leader's pokemons are, but I still suspect that I have some work to do.

Also, while not being THAT blown away by the new Pokemons, I do like the idea of having the old ones accessible after defeating Elite 4.
Why? Because otherwise I would have most likely just gone back to my epic Pokemon Silver-team, but now I'm sorta forced to check out the new ones, and that's in a good way.  :tup

Kosmo

« Reply #1176 on: October 23, 2011, 03:03:10 AM »
I just usually get the pokemangs which look the snazziest, just like when I was 10 years old.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #1177 on: October 23, 2011, 05:45:21 AM »
I think it would be funny to try and play through the entire game like one of the random stupid ass trainers you run into everywhere, with a completely themed team.

I wanna be the very best bug catcher, like no one ever was.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1178 on: October 23, 2011, 05:58:05 AM »
Having 6 Rattata's ftw.

On another note, got my ass kicked in the second gym.
What's up with Retaliate? OP apparently.
Oh well, proceeded into the nearby forest, figured that I would train here for a bit, getting my pokemons up to 20, or at least 18+, and then go back and kick her ass.
Oh yeah, my Oshawott evolved, hell yeah!

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1179 on: October 23, 2011, 07:57:57 AM »
Having 6 Rattata's ftw.

On another note, got my ass kicked in the second gym.
What's up with Retaliate? OP apparently.
Oh well, proceeded into the nearby forest, figured that I would train here for a bit, getting my pokemons up to 20, or at least 18+, and then go back and kick her ass.
Oh yeah, my Oshawott evolved, hell yeah!

Retaliate is a 70 power move that becomes 140 power if one of the pokemon on the team has fainted.

The easiest way to get through that gym is to get a rock type and teach it Rock Smash.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1180 on: October 23, 2011, 08:18:16 AM »
I think it would be funny to try and play through the entire game like one of the random stupid ass trainers you run into everywhere, with a completely themed team.

I wanna be the very best bug catcher, like no one ever was.

In Black and White you could actually do that though.  The Bugs are actually good!

Or you can catch a Sawk/Throh and teach it Rock Smash.  Either pokemon will be useful for the rest of the game.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1181 on: October 23, 2011, 12:26:24 PM »
I found way more post game playability in HG than in Black. I still can't get over the wi fi trading. Blows me away that robwebster in the UK and I could trade. (I'm in Canada)

Happy Lives to you all.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1182 on: October 23, 2011, 12:35:20 PM »
Getting my copy of Heart Gold on Monday or Tuesday probably. :)
Don't get me wrong now, I do enjoy Black, but Gen 2 was just my favorite time in Pokemon, and I just have so fond memories of playing Pokemon Silver, and Heart Gold will most likely be my "main"-game when I get it.
Looking forward to it!

Now back to Black, status-update:

Managed to get my pokemons up a bit and kicked Lenora (?) completely.
My Dewott (?) kicked ass with some water attacks, luckily I got her pokemons down before retaliate managed to do much harm. :)
Then I did the following event, chasing after Team Plasma in the forest etc, cool stuff.
Now a few questions.
I managed to catch a "Cottonee" (?), grass-type pokemon. Is it any good? Because unless I remember wrong, there was a girl in the previous city that wanted to trade a Cottonee for something else, maybe that is a good trade?
I also got a Moon Stone which I understand will evolve my Munna, but I'm a bit hesitant because I know sometimes evolving early is not a good choice, seeing as movesets change, but when should I roughly evolve it?

Got like 5-6 hours played now or so, actually had to charge my batteries now for the first time.
Yeah I'm probably slow, but I'm really taking my pace and enjoying the game, reading all dialogues and talking with every npc I can find. :)

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #1183 on: October 23, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
So the other night, my brother and I decided on a whim to go out and buy a ton of pokemon cards. We each got a deck and a pack of five boosters and spent the entire night playing and rearranging decks. It was badass nostalgic fun :metal

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: October 23, 2011, 11:07:09 PM »
Getting my copy of Heart Gold on Monday or Tuesday probably. :)
Don't get me wrong now, I do enjoy Black, but Gen 2 was just my favorite time in Pokemon, and I just have so fond memories of playing Pokemon Silver, and Heart Gold will most likely be my "main"-game when I get it.
Looking forward to it!

Now back to Black, status-update:

Managed to get my pokemons up a bit and kicked Lenora (?) completely.
My Dewott (?) kicked ass with some water attacks, luckily I got her pokemons down before retaliate managed to do much harm. :)
Then I did the following event, chasing after Team Plasma in the forest etc, cool stuff.
Now a few questions.
I managed to catch a "Cottonee" (?), grass-type pokemon. Is it any good? Because unless I remember wrong, there was a girl in the previous city that wanted to trade a Cottonee for something else, maybe that is a good trade?
I also got a Moon Stone which I understand will evolve my Munna, but I'm a bit hesitant because I know sometimes evolving early is not a good choice, seeing as movesets change, but when should I roughly evolve it?

Got like 5-6 hours played now or so, actually had to charge my batteries now for the first time.
Yeah I'm probably slow, but I'm really taking my pace and enjoying the game, reading all dialogues and talking with every npc I can find. :)

For these questions, I direct you here:
https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1185 on: October 23, 2011, 11:24:44 PM »
Much better than Serebii:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page

https://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/

Anyways, Cottonee evolves into Whimsicott, which is an awesome pokemon.

Basically, its ability, Trickster, allows it to use non-damaging moves as if they had priority, for example, a move like Sleep Powder would act first, like Quick Attack. You can use it for setup, or you can use it to block setup (noone is going to use a stat increasing move against something that can use Encore with priority :D)

Here's some more specific info on Whimsicott: https://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/whimsicott

As far as when to evolve Munna, if you check the Bulbapedia page for both it and its evolution, you can see the moveset for each pokemon. Just figure out which move is the last one you want Munna to learn, level it up to that level, learn the move, then evolve it.

...my name is Araragi.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1186 on: October 24, 2011, 02:23:26 AM »
Thanks, I do use Bulbapedia for quite a lot these days, check things related to the anime, but also the games ofc.
Really good site.  :tup

Update on my status:

Beat the third Gym, without too much trouble.
Luckily it wasn't that hard when I had two pokemons with fire-abilities, one with psychic and one water for his rock/ground-bug or whatever it is.
Continued to Route 4 and has catched a Sandile, and I've battled a few trainers here.
Feel a bit lost, not that it's hard to find the way or anything like that, but I'm not sure if I covered all of Route 4, but I moved on to Relic Castle, no idea if there's anything to do here though.
Should I just proceed to the next city, or is there things to do in Relic Castle, or anything I forgot at Route 4?

Also, I evolved my Pansear into a Simisear with a firestone, but I'm thinking about just dropping it from my team.
Despite having abilities for Ghost, Dark and Fire, (and being my Cut-bitch), I just feel like he is completely useless.
If I meet a trainer with Grass-types, his Fire-attack is neat to have, but on the other hand Incinerate feels fairly weak, and my Blitzle has a fire-attack as well, so he is not really necessary for my team right now.
I did drop Herdier since I don't care for Normal-pokemons that much, but I'm considering trading my Cottonee for that Petelil, seeing as Leech Seed/Mega Drain and all that is such a frustrating combo.
I'll most likely get that ghost/fire-pokemon when I get that far.

Dewott, Blitzle, Munna and Sandile are in my plans right now though, I'll see if I have to replace any of them later.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:03:54 AM by Zantera »

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1187 on: October 24, 2011, 07:08:00 AM »
https://pokemon.marriland.com/hgss/walkthrough/zephyrbadge/new_bark_town-1

is my favorite site, loads much faster the bulabpedia I find.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1188 on: October 24, 2011, 01:42:37 PM »
Much better than Serebii:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page

https://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/

Anyways, Cottonee evolves into Whimsicott, which is an awesome pokemon.

Basically, its ability, Trickster, allows it to use non-damaging moves as if they had priority, for example, a move like Sleep Powder would act first, like Quick Attack. You can use it for setup, or you can use it to block setup (noone is going to use a stat increasing move against something that can use Encore with priority :D)

Here's some more specific info on Whimsicott: https://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/whimsicott

As far as when to evolve Munna, if you check the Bulbapedia page for both it and its evolution, you can see the moveset for each pokemon. Just figure out which move is the last one you want Munna to learn, level it up to that level, learn the move, then evolve it.

Well, I don't recommend Smogon for story-mode stuff, though it does offer some insight into strategies and analyses on a pokemons strong/weak points.  I don't really like bulbapedia for looking up stats/moves and the like.  I find Serebii is much easier to look at when most of that data is contained within a few scrolls. 

Personally, I would have waited a while to evolve Pansear.  There's a move thats much stronger than Incinerate that he gets later (forget what it is) but the elemental monkeys (except panpour that has nasty plot) get useless pretty quick, IMO.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1189 on: October 24, 2011, 01:45:26 PM »
I played through White without using any online reference. It seemed much more difficult, because I didn't know which Pokemon were what types until after battles. Nevertheless, I never lost a battle.

Has anyone ever used Pokemon selector?