Author Topic: The Pokémon Thread v. Sun and Moon [Friend Codes in OP]  (Read 250700 times)

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: The Pokémon Thread v. Black and White [Friend Codes in OP]
« Reply #980 on: April 12, 2011, 07:44:36 AM »
"suddenly"

this thread gets bumped.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #981 on: April 12, 2011, 08:24:49 AM »
A friend of mine bought a used GBA SP and the Fire Red version on a flea market last Sunday. So far, he's spent about ten to fifteen hours playing. Given that most of us have been playing it in the past, we helped him out a bit when he asked us something (and he had A LOT of questions). Talk about guilty pleasure. :lol
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #982 on: April 12, 2011, 01:36:11 PM »
Pokemon Global Link has finally gone live.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #983 on: April 12, 2011, 01:41:23 PM »
Sweet!  I can get my Magic Coat Espeon now!

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #984 on: April 12, 2011, 02:08:46 PM »
Sweet!  I can get my Magic Coat Espeon now!

Good luck, I couldn't figure out how to get my Leafeon.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #985 on: April 14, 2011, 06:16:46 AM »
What's everyone got from it so far?

Just been in for a second time... got a Moody Bidoof. A Nidoran F appeared (which would've been ace, 'cause it's two dream world pokemon for the price of one - can breed it to get Nidoking and Nidoqueen, both with Sheer Force) but my fucking browser crashed when I clicked to play the minigame. Cockbastards.

Moody Bidoof is meant to be cheap as chips but pretty mighty, though, so I'm not too brassed.

Went through the forest about three times, not making wishes, and then on the fourth (or fifth, or I don't know) go around, pokemon and items just... stopped appearing. Went to the wishing tree, and it turned out that all the pokemon I'd bumped into until that point were clogging up its list. Two Bidoof, two Lickitung, a Bellsprout, a Stantler, a Rattata (which I came very close to taking with me! I like Raticate a lot), all of these dream pokemon just oozing out of its trunk. So if you want a bit more choice, don't wish at the end and do another run around.

Other pokemon I got - i.e., yesterday - was a Tangela with Regenerator. Now a Tangrowth. Very nifty.

These dream points are pretty slow to accumulate, though. I've got 300 right now. Assuming a gain of about 200 a day (I didn't get many on the first day 'cause I didn't know what I was doing), I make the length of time it'll take for me to be able to access a Politoed or Ninetales approximately... fucking ages.

EDIT: Oh, also, I decided to catch the Bidoof in a Dusk Ball rather than a Dream Ball. Makes it look like it a nightmare pokemon. Which it is. Haunts me every night.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:28:36 AM by robwebster »

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #986 on: April 14, 2011, 06:33:48 AM »
What's everyone got from it so far?

Just been in for a second time... got a Moody Bidoof. A Nidoran F appeared (which would've been ace, 'cause it's two dream world pokemon for the price of one - can breed it to get Nidoking and Nidoqueen, both with Sheer Force) but my fucking browser crashed when I clicked to play the minigame. Cockbastards.

Moody Bidoof is meant to be cheap as chips but pretty mighty, though, so I'm not too brassed.

Went through the forest about three times, not making wishes, and then on the fourth (or fifth, or I don't know) go around, pokemon and items just... stopped appearing. Went to the wishing tree, and it turned out that all the pokemon I'd bumped into until that point were clogging up its list. Two Bidoof, two Lickitung, a Bellsprout, a Stantler, a Rattata (which I came very close to taking with me! I like Raticate a lot), all of these dream pokemon just oozing out of its trunk. So if you want a bit more choice, don't wish at the end and do another run around.

Other pokemon I got - i.e., yesterday - was a Tangela with Regenerator. Now a Tangrowth. Very nifty.

These dream points are pretty slow to accumulate, though. I've got 300 right now. Assuming a gain of about 200 a day (I didn't get many on the first day 'cause I didn't know what I was doing), I make the length of time it'll take for me to be able to access a Politoed or Ninetales approximately... fucking ages.

EDIT: Oh, also, I decided to catch the Bidoof in a Dusk Ball rather than a Dream Ball. Makes it look like it a nightmare pokemon. Which it is. Haunts me every night.

How many points do you need to get a Ninetales? And how do you know this?  :lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #987 on: April 14, 2011, 06:57:02 AM »
Vulpix appear once you've got 7500 points, according to Serebii.

If you look on your Dream World profile, you can find your points on the second tab.

Speaking of - who wants to be friends on the Dream World?

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #988 on: April 14, 2011, 06:58:33 AM »
who wants to be friends on the Dream World?

every girl I've ever met apparently

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #989 on: April 14, 2011, 06:59:24 AM »
the Japanese version of this little bonus online play got VERY old, VERY quickly. I got my Arceus and bolted. Really? Leaving berries out for them and such, to gain points to buy furniture and all that? A tad too farmville for me.

Have you all had success using the relocator and getting zorua and zoroark?

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #990 on: April 14, 2011, 07:14:48 AM »
Someone explain what Pokemon Global Link is?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #991 on: April 14, 2011, 07:20:19 AM »
You need to set up your account on your DS.
You get a code.
You go online to the global link site with your code, set up a quick account there.
You can fart around at your global link "house" forest and other stuff. But, nothing really happens unless you put your pokemon to sleep first on your DS. Once he's asleep you turn your DS off. Go online, and the pokemon you put asleep shows up online. Using that pokemon you wander around a forest, under water, on an island (more locations get unlocked the more points you earn). You meet pokemon there, play mini games and have a chance to be-friend them. As you are leaving you go the "dream tree" and all the pokemon you met online show up in special place on your DS for you to catch. You also get the balls to catch and the balls never fail.

That's how it was on the japanese version....I'm pretty sure it's similar on the NA and Europe versions as well.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #992 on: April 14, 2011, 07:47:33 AM »
Interesting, I'll have to check that out when I get home tonight!

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #993 on: April 14, 2011, 08:00:36 AM »

If you look on your Dream World profile, you can find your points on the second tab.

OK.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #994 on: April 14, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »

OK.

Ace. Now I just need to work out how.

...any ideas?

Interesting, I'll have to check that out when I get home tonight!
On top of that, the main appeal is that the pokemon in the dream world have special abilities.

Some are pointless - Kangaskhan gets Inner Focus, which is beyond rubbish.

Others get improved. Ponyta gets Flame Body, which isn't amazing, but it's better than Run Away which has no useful applications, and Flash Fire which is almost as naff, considering nobody's ever likely to use a fire-type move against it - only ever really usable through a bait-n-switch type of tactic. Tangrowth's Chlorophyll was never awful, but Regenerator is very cool on such a defensive pokemon.

Then there are a few for whom the abilities are their killer apps. Bibarel's pretty pants, generally, but he's so good with Moody that it's actually been banned by the Council of Nerds - not that anyone need listen to them, of course. They were talking about banning Excadrill just because "it's really strong and i dont know how to beat it ):"

Drought and Drizzle make Ninetales and Politoed very cool, too, whereas a Torchic from the dream world will have Speed Boost, which puts it a full head above the other firefighter starters.

They also get given special moves if you do well on the mini-games. Which I rarely do. That ice cream one is a bastard. Still, got a Bidoof with Aqua Tail, that's niftyish.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: April 14, 2011, 02:36:19 PM »
Then there are a few for whom the abilities are their killer apps. Bibarel's pretty pants, generally, but he's so good with Moody that it's actually been banned by the Council of Nerds - not that anyone need listen to them, of course. They were talking about banning Excadrill just because "it's really strong and i dont know how to beat it ):"

I actually listened to a smogon podcast the other day.  There were three nerds, and for every threat they were talking about in the Black/White metagame, it immediately followed with suggestions to ban the shit out of it.  Weather abilities, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Reunculus, the genies, you name it.  If its a powerful threat, they wanted it banned with no suggestions of how to actually combat them.  They also laughed at how Dream World Blaziken can actually be better than Infernape now and how bad Emboar is.  

EDIT: Damn, DW Blaziken has been banned.  Fucking lol.  They've been banning so much shit already.  First drizzle/swift swim teams, which I can kind of understand, but really guys?  The way these things work out is that you give people some more time to devise ways to combat these initial strong threats.  If they're still dominating after a year, maybe a ban is necessary, but come on!

EDIT TWO: Apparently Pokemon Online makes a bit more sense with their tier systems.  Good for them.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 02:43:06 PM by skydivingninja »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #996 on: April 14, 2011, 05:31:37 PM »
People are acting like Excadrill doesn't have four weaknesses.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #997 on: April 14, 2011, 05:51:31 PM »
Exactly.  As big a threat as it is, its got a good amount of weaknesses and I'm positive there are ways to exploit them, just like Ferrothorn.

So I just got my first DW pokemon.  Kanghaskhan with Drain Punch and Inner Focus.  I don't know what Rob's on about, thinking Inner Focus is "rubbish."  Considering how annoying flinch hax is its a great ability.  Especially on Lucario.  I'm also salivating over all these DW abilities.  Breloom with Technician?  Yes please!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:01:41 PM by skydivingninja »

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #998 on: April 14, 2011, 06:03:35 PM »
Excadrill? That guy's a joke. I think there is only one pokemon in my party that is weak against it, and thats whatever the fuck bouldor evolves into.... I'm still not good with the new names.  :lol

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #999 on: April 14, 2011, 06:10:54 PM »
This is a real noob question, but how do I get to Dreamworld?

:blush
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1000 on: April 14, 2011, 06:16:39 PM »
So I just got my first DW pokemon.  Kanghaskhan with Drain Punch and Inner Focus.  I don't know what Rob's on about, thinking Inner Focus is "rubbish."  Considering how annoying flinch hax is its a great ability.  Especially on Lucario.  I'm also salivating over all these DW abilities.  Breloom with Technician?  Yes please!
I've never been a fan of it. Flinch moves are a little niche. It's not an effect people tend to deliberately seek out in their movesets, and even if it were, the majority of flinch moves only kick in fairly infrequently, and even then only if you're faster than your opponent.

Fake Out's pretty menacing as it's got priority, making it essentially a free move, but I'm not so fussed that I'll tailor my pokemon to counter it.

Flinching's annoying, granted, but I'd rather be able to hit ghosts or exploit a speedy Rest. Scrappy's the killer app on a Kangaskhan, I'd say. As far as threats go, I'd say flinching ranks below confusion, waaaay below paralysis, a little below burning... maybe more annoying than poison, but then toxic's pretty potent.

Then again, I'm not much of a competitive player. Maybe they're all over Headbutt like a rash in those quarters.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1001 on: April 14, 2011, 06:17:37 PM »
This is a real noob question, but how do I get to Dreamworld?

:blush
First, make an account on pokemon.com. Then go to www.pokemon-gl.com, and connect the two accounts. From there, you go onto your game, open "online" in the C-Gear. press "GAME SYNC," and it'll give you a code which you need to fill into your Dream World account on the GL. Then you just tuck your pokemon in, and off to the land of nod you trot.

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #1002 on: April 14, 2011, 06:47:32 PM »
So, its a browser based thing? Interesting. Is there a list of stuff to do/get somewhere?

While I've got you, oh-mighty-pokemon-one, what is the best nature for a Dratini (Dragonite)? I'm breeding them atm, have got like 16 so far to pick from?

Trying to build a team of level 50s that I can use competitively, Dragonite is gonna be one of them ;D
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1003 on: April 14, 2011, 07:36:05 PM »
Oop, christ. I'd go for Adamant, myself. Boosts attack, reduces special attack. I imagine you'll only be using physical attacks, so special attack's the most negligible.

Frankly, though, there's no such thing as a useless stat. I myself would go Adamant 'cause I want its attacks to do loads of damage, but if you wanted to bolster its defence, special defence, or speed, they'd all be perfectly noble and sensible pursuits.

I'm sure there is a "preferred" stat, but I'd just make sure SpAtt's reduced myself. Impish, Naive, Careful...

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #1004 on: April 15, 2011, 03:36:49 AM »
I still have 3 boxes full of Modest Dark Pulse Deinos if anyone would like one. Or two. I also have about the same amount of Timid Charmanders (I'm trying out the Masuda Method).

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #1005 on: April 15, 2011, 07:51:43 AM »
So i got on the wagon and got myself a 3DS and I bought Black.

I am up to Driftveil City now.  I am liking the game so far.  I know its not new in Black; but I REALLY enjoy the double team fights.  Opens up so many possibilities. 

My lineup as of now is:

Gothita (28)
Gurdurr (33)
Servine (34)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1006 on: April 16, 2011, 02:03:09 PM »
Anyone know how to get your Dream World eeveelution?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1007 on: April 16, 2011, 02:24:10 PM »
Anyone know how to get your Dream World eeveelution?
You can collect 'em at the start of May, I believe.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1008 on: April 16, 2011, 02:51:26 PM »
I just set up my Dreamworld account. It's ZBomber, I dunno if that's the what you need to register it on friend accounts though.  :lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1009 on: April 16, 2011, 03:28:07 PM »
I just set up my Dreamworld account. It's ZBomber, I dunno if that's the what you need to register it on friend accounts though.  :lol
I've got no idea how to register it on friend accounts. It's a fucking atrocious system. Me and my brother are in each other's Pal Pads but we haven't shown up even as Game Pals, yet. I've only got one "Dream Pal," and it's a total stranger who watered my berries once.

(Three rows of those berries, now. Ladies! :hat )

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1010 on: April 16, 2011, 03:41:42 PM »
I just played around with it for like 5 minutes... seems like the mutant offspring of Pokepark and Webkins. :lol

I take it that is is the only way to catch certain pokemon in B/W though? And I forgot what the berries do, can you actually take the berries back to the "real world"?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1011 on: April 16, 2011, 03:49:49 PM »
Yep, you can.

It's like a niftier Pokewalker, really. For shut-ins. And yeah, it's the only way to catch certain pokemon. Plus they get cool abilities and unusual moves. Whoo and that.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1012 on: April 17, 2011, 06:18:45 AM »
Getting way too into this Dream World stuff... made about 500 dream points, today. Now up to 1,460. Very eager to open more pokemon.

Just going through the forest as many times as possible, and playing as many mini games as possible on the way. Even if I don't want the pokemon. They each take about two minutes, and it all adds up pretty quickly - I'd rather grind through it and get the pokemon quickly than have to spend day after day trudging up to the big guns. (Hello, Ninetales and Politoed eventually.)

Starting to get good at the minigames, too.

Hint: Use Cheri berries for the ice cream scoopy one. I was using Oran berries and getting naff results. Cheri berries are brilliant ice cream ingredients, however.

And, look for the item before the pokemon on the hide-and-seek ones. The item shows up as sparkles, and the pokemon's always within two squares. Means you can blitz through it.

Finding the Wailord thing f'ing frustrating, though. It's random chance. There'll usually be at least one point at which two pokemon are flying off different sides of the screen, and Wailord's too cumbersome to get both of them. Irritating.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1013 on: April 17, 2011, 06:28:08 AM »
Reuniclus woke up!

Reuniclus has gained 1 level(s)!

...WHAT.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #1014 on: April 17, 2011, 06:51:53 AM »
Reuniclus woke up!

Reuniclus has gained 1 level(s)!

...WHAT.

If you get more than 500 points in the dream world, they grow a level.

Also, you'd think that Nintendo would have worked out the whole plural thing by now, instead of just putting "(s)" after everything.