Author Topic: The Pokémon Thread v. Sun and Moon [Friend Codes in OP]  (Read 252062 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: The Pokémon Thread v. Black and White [Friend Codes in OP]
« Reply #1540 on: October 12, 2013, 04:20:01 PM »
OH MY GOD POKEMON ORIGINS WAS AMAZING. Those 4 episodes were better than all 600+ episodes and movies of the other anime combined. It was INCREDIBLE.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1541 on: October 12, 2013, 04:25:37 PM »
Just bought X an hour ago. Hopefully can pick up Y after my next paycheck.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1542 on: October 12, 2013, 10:47:20 PM »
OH MY GOD POKEMON ORIGINS WAS AMAZING. Those 4 episodes were better than all 600+ episodes and movies of the other anime combined. It was INCREDIBLE.

I KNOW RIGHT!

I WANT MORE!

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1543 on: October 12, 2013, 10:54:39 PM »
yeah, Origins was awesome. definitely better than the series with Ash, which is crazy since this was only 4 episodes long.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1544 on: October 12, 2013, 11:00:55 PM »
Part of me hopes that (and I know it's most likely not) there are actually more episodes and they just condensed them into 4 for a special... but will show the entire thing in the future.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1545 on: October 14, 2013, 07:13:28 AM »
I finally beat GTA-V last night, so maybe getting to start this will be a little easier now.

I played for about 20 minutes last night. I wondered around, gave some letter to my mom from the professor, and I was on my way. I have two pretty big concerns so far.

1) I was pretty bummed to find out that the game is not in 3D all the time. While walking around, the world looks exactly the same whether the device is switched to 3D or 2D.

2) I was sort of hoping to see an entirely new story. Something different than 'Hey! here's a pokedex. The professor would like you to help him fill it with data'.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1546 on: October 14, 2013, 07:18:38 AM »
Yea I find the 3D thing disappointing too... even though I hate 3D.

I wound up giving Panda my copy of X and I ordered Y on Amazon (gift cards ftw). It's interesting watching someone play a Poke'mon game who hasn't played since Game Boy Color. Oh and Pikachu actually says "PIKA!"... That's awesome!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1547 on: October 14, 2013, 08:17:21 AM »
I was sort of hoping to see an entirely new story. Something different than 'Hey! here's a pokedex. The professor would like you to help him fill it with data'.
It would be great if they changed it up I agree, but let's face it, they've been using the same plot since what, 1995? I'll never expect them to change it, maybe one day I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not counting on it. :lol Kind of lame that the game doesn't utilise 3D all the time though...is that typical? Do other games do that aswell?

I recently picked up White, playing that now. Kind of annoying how there's no old Pokemon until after the Elite Four, I have no fucking idea which of these Pokemans are any good. I don't like to use guides or wikis but I am considering just looking to see which of these things are worth catching and spending time to level. Right now I just rely on my Tepig evolution whatever the hell it's called, and a Krocokomo whatever the hell that is called. :\

I probably won't get a 3DS for another few years, when there's a load more games for me to get that I care about. For all I know Nintendo might release another updated version of it anyway, that I can buy down the line. I haven't touched my DS in about 3-4 years so I'm going to catch up on the final games made for it that I haven't played yet, starting with White, then everything else I can think of, and then probably Black 2 or White 2 to finish it off if enough time has passed that I can stomach another Pokemon game. Sounds like a plan.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1548 on: October 14, 2013, 08:51:09 AM »
I was actually really pissed about the 3D thing. That's one of the things I was really excited about. I'd rather walk around 3D than battle in 3D.

" Kind of lame that the game doesn't utilise 3D all the time though...is that typical? Do other games do that aswell?"

I'm not sure. The only 3D game I have is Super Mario Land 3D. The entire game (including the menus) is in 3D.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1549 on: October 14, 2013, 09:32:15 AM »
>tfw no 3ds

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1550 on: October 14, 2013, 09:49:50 AM »
tfw??

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1552 on: October 14, 2013, 11:38:49 AM »
Even when the game is in 3D I find it to be some of the weakest 3D the 3DS has to offer. Sliding that little bar barely makes a difference.

I'm liking the game so far, but not loving it. The routes in this game are awesome, as most of them seem to have something on them that makes them really memorable. And I really liked how they set up that fossil cave. The towns are kind of boring though. The gyms are just as easy as the ones in B/W, even though the levels seem to be escalating higher I keep finding myself at a higher level than the Gym Leader's best Pokemon. That may be because of the EXP Share, but that used to never happen.

And Team Flare's just kind of... stupid.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1553 on: October 14, 2013, 12:12:28 PM »
just got my fossil pokemon. game is super fun so far and is a huge nostalgia trip for me, as I haven't seriously played a pokemon game since gold/silver.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1554 on: October 14, 2013, 04:55:49 PM »
Well, I have a DSi with no plans to upgrade, but I never did get around to Black 2, so with all the new hype I decided to order that. I'll be starting on Wednesday.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1555 on: October 15, 2013, 05:15:34 AM »
Even when the game is in 3D I find it to be some of the weakest 3D the 3DS has to offer. Sliding that little bar barely makes a difference.

I'm liking the game so far, but not loving it. The routes in this game are awesome, as most of them seem to have something on them that makes them really memorable. And I really liked how they set up that fossil cave. The towns are kind of boring though. The gyms are just as easy as the ones in B/W, even though the levels seem to be escalating higher I keep finding myself at a higher level than the Gym Leader's best Pokemon. That may be because of the EXP Share, but that used to never happen.

Just playing at a normal pace my starter was at level 30 when I battled the second gym leader with some of my other team members at very high 20s. I was just relieved to get the badge to be able to control up to level 40.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1556 on: October 15, 2013, 06:58:05 AM »
I fucking love Psyduck's look in this game.  :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1557 on: October 15, 2013, 10:57:42 AM »

Just playing at a normal pace my starter was at level 30 when I battled the second gym leader with some of my other team members at very high 20s. I was just relieved to get the badge to be able to control up to level 40.

I agree. I have yet to lose a battle. I'm leveling up like crazy.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1558 on: October 15, 2013, 03:06:47 PM »
THAT EXP SHARE. I don't even have the game but my friends who have the game have told me how it works and have all lvl 70's pokemon right now, even though the game has been out for like 4 days.  :omg:

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1559 on: October 15, 2013, 03:17:15 PM »
The competition is way too easy. I've been playing like 3 hours now and haven't blacked out once.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1560 on: October 15, 2013, 03:35:29 PM »
Other trainer paralyzes my pokemon = my pokemon never attack.
I paralyze other trainer's pokemon = they seemingly ignore that they're paralyzed and never get stopped.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1561 on: October 15, 2013, 04:22:26 PM »
Absolutely loving every aspect of the game. Favorite so far: NO MORE INCESSANT BEE-BOO BEE-BOO BEE-BOO WHILST IN THE RED!!!!

But really I'm so happy it just beeps a single time once you're Pokemon's HP is red...that was so fucking annoying. Oh and...has anyone seriously ever had any type of trouble in terms of difficulty in any Pokemon game? They've always been extremely easy...naturally. I too am a bit disappointed with the 3D, but I knew going in that it wouldn't be prominent because I read an interview in which they said that the fact that many children will be playing it along with the fact that they didn't want 3D to be a main focus point of the game. I agree. It isn't as if the gameplay is based on the 3D, unlike a game like Super Mario Land 3D where the game is actually based around that visual aspect. Either way, it's still odd that the FPS is so damn low when it is on, because I like its subtlety. It still looks amazing though and I'm having a blast. Back to it!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1562 on: October 15, 2013, 04:23:43 PM »
I remember Red in the first game being extremely hard. (I had Blue version)

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1563 on: October 15, 2013, 05:11:26 PM »
Other trainer paralyzes my pokemon = my pokemon never attack.
I paralyze other trainer's pokemon = they seemingly ignore that they're paralyzed and never get stopped.

I've always thought that about confusion.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1564 on: October 15, 2013, 05:47:19 PM »
You guys have some shit luck.  :lol I constantly use hindering-type and time-based-attack moves because they work so well to chisel down some good HP. I've never found the series hard...but then again I've always grinded like hell. I take my time when it comes to Pokemon games for some reason... Every other RPG is rush through the first time, but even now I don't even have my second badge and I'm almost at 30 for most of my guys  :rollin The EXP Share is fucking amazing as well, I've always thought that all your guys should get it using the item, and if you like grinding every now and then like I do, or better yet simply leveling up the old-fashion way to get the extra stat boosts, then you can turn it off. I'm pretty much completely addicted to the game and haven't had this much fun in a long while in a game.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1565 on: October 15, 2013, 06:50:10 PM »
The only time I've gotten wrecked was in the Reflection Cave, and that's because my Pokemon weren't the kind that could handle the fighting types well. Otherwise, yeah, EXP share  almost makes the game too easy. I'm almost 15 levels higher than the gym leaders I'm fighting at this point.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1566 on: October 17, 2013, 10:27:24 AM »
Okay, I'm only like 4.5 hours in (only one gym badge so far), but I love this game. I think It's the best generation by far, despite the things I don't like.  However, I almost find myself unsatisfied to some degree. I see so much potential for a serious Pokemon game. The new 3D'er environment feels pretty close to an open world, but we're not quite there :( Hopefully that comes in the future.

I've decided to play this game like an asshole nostalgia seeker. I'm stacking my team with only Pokemon from the original gen. I don't know why, but I have this desire to beat this game with the classics.

Also, SKyrim and GTAV have corrupted my mind. Every time I see a person I want to shank them, and every time I walk into someone's house, I wish I could sneak around and steel stuff  :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1567 on: October 17, 2013, 10:43:54 AM »
I'm trying to do Black/White 2 without any help aside from a pokedex (I can't stand not knowing evolved stats, and more importantly what moves will/can be learned), but I'll eventually need trading partners to get the pokemon I can't get in black, and any that must be traded etc. Anyone still playing?
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1568 on: October 17, 2013, 11:29:47 AM »
I never played Black or White. I actually have completed a game since Silver. I got through like 6 gym leaders in Platimum, and then GTAV came out. There wasn't anything that provided a wow factor for me in that game, so I don't feel like I'm missing much in not finishing.

In regards to X&Y, I really like that one city (forget the name) that links several routes together/has the blackout (which ironically is still lit up at night). It acts like a central hub, or main metropolitan city. I dig it.

One thought I had yesterday.... I know probably 6 or 7 people (not counting DTF) that are playing this game, the youngest being 23. I think it would be cool if there was a Pokemon game that could appeal to me as an older kid a little more. For example, why do I have to play as a little kid leaving home for the first time? Why can't I be a college grad that majored in Pokemon, and is now pursuing my dream of winning the largest Pokemon battle events? Most of the people i end up battling are adults, I want to play as one!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1569 on: October 17, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »
Catching Giratina is one of the coolest things ever, you're totally missing out on that  :eek

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1570 on: October 17, 2013, 11:33:30 AM »
I really wish in general there was a game like Pokemon, or a Pokemon version that really tried to reinvent some things to appeal to older and better gamers. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing how many older and serious gamers still go back and play Pokemon, it's fucking classic in every sense of the word. That said I think if they could use the name and really kick it up a few notches it would be cool.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1571 on: October 17, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »
Catching Giratina is one of the coolest things ever, you're totally missing out on that  :eek

But you see, I'm not a typical Pokemon player anymore. When I was younger, trying to be the only one among your friend to have all 150 Pokemon was more of an honor that beating the Elite 4 without the Rare Candy glitch. Now, I just care about beating the game with the team that I have assembled and trained with. Catching super rare Pokemon, or getting all of Evee's evolved forms, doesn't really do anything for me.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1572 on: October 17, 2013, 11:35:12 AM »
I really wish in general there was a game like Pokemon, or a Pokemon version that really tried to reinvent some things to appeal to older and better gamers. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing how many older and serious gamers still go back and play Pokemon, it's fucking classic in every sense of the word. That said I think if they could use the name and really kick it up a few notches it would be cool.
Pokemon Colosseum dude.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1573 on: October 17, 2013, 11:48:39 AM »
Pokemon Colosseum dude.

Not really what I'm looking for (or Nick from what I gather). I want Skyrim, but replace the dragons with Charizards, Dragonites, and Gyradoses*.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1574 on: October 17, 2013, 11:52:20 AM »
I don't get why Pokemon needs to be like Skyrim. If you want that kind of game, play Skyrim. I'm sure if you're a PC gamer you could just mod Charizards and Gyrados's in and find some way to make them fight each other. Pokemon's gameplay fits pretty much perfectly, trying to force it into a battle style like that would be very problematic, and wouldn't get the same feel IMO as Pokemon does now. This generation and Pokemon Colosseum are perfect if you ask me, 3d plane, but all of what makes pokemon so damn great.