Author Topic: The Pokémon Thread v. Sun and Moon [Friend Codes in OP]  (Read 251716 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: The Pokémon Thread v. Black and White [Friend Codes in OP]
« Reply #1470 on: August 08, 2013, 03:58:11 PM »
 :lol :metal

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1471 on: August 08, 2013, 11:10:47 PM »
MEGA DODRIO CONFIRMED:

:lol

This is the greatest thing ever.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1472 on: August 09, 2013, 12:57:51 AM »
So now I'm reading on various sites that the Mega Forms are only temporary, and the Pokemon can only enter them if you use a Mega Stone in battle, but will revert back to normal by the end of the fight.

I hope that isn't true, but oh well.  :sad:
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1473 on: August 09, 2013, 01:41:20 AM »
Yep, they did turn out to be 'forms'. That's cool with me, and it actually makes the whole concept make more sense to me; as I didn't really see these new pokemon as actual 'new' pokemon, and if they were it would've seemed lazy. It also adds a neat 'limit-break'-esque aspect to battles, I actually like it much more this way. Serebii.net says, as most probably assumed, not all pokemon will have this mega-form. It'll be interesting to see which do, though. I cannot friggin' wait for this game raahhh!!!!!

RIP DTP.

Offline Unlegit

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #1475 on: August 09, 2013, 10:22:01 AM »
That mega Ampharos is fabulous.  :rollin
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1476 on: August 09, 2013, 11:07:27 AM »
Mega-forms confirmed to be named the same as in the Japanese version what with their names simply being prefixed with a 'Mega'. Eh. It works since it's a temporary form. Friggin AWESOME that the Torchic (with the megastone) will be distributed in the Americas/Europe!! I was really hoping they'd bring it worldwide and so far they really have. Hopefully all those awesome special pokemon that Japan gets seemingly all the time will now come to other regions as well; or at the very least, we should be getting more of them. There's also been multiple 'Super Training' mini-games that have been implemented to level-up your Pokemon's EV stats! This is so exciting, they're finally bringing EVs to the forefront.

RIP DTP.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1477 on: August 13, 2013, 01:34:58 PM »
OMGOMGOMG I have been waiting for this shit since R/B!!!!!

BOOM MOTHERFUCKER. MEGA-BABY-KANGASKHAN!! DOUBLE ATTACK. DOUBLE CUTENESS.

No but really this is pretty cool, cause I've always wondered about the pouch and/or an evolution that will include a baby-kanga. Now I am very interested in first-gen pokemon with mega-forms.

Some tidbits:
Mega-forms will be limited to one mega-form in battle at one time.
Mega-form pokemon will revert to their original form after the battle has ended, not anytime during (which is a relief).
For the hardcore: The real-life championships will be held in Washington D.C. for 2014. POWER UP, BABY! RARARARARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

RIP DTP.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1478 on: August 13, 2013, 01:36:30 PM »
Cubone

seriously though I CANT WAIT
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1479 on: August 13, 2013, 01:39:05 PM »
I swear, that was the one pokemon I thought of after seeing Kanga, no green needed. I really do hope they do something with Marowak, I love those two pokemon.

RIP DTP.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #1480 on: August 13, 2013, 01:41:55 PM »
I do like that Mega-Fabularos
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1481 on: August 13, 2013, 01:45:43 PM »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1482 on: August 13, 2013, 01:47:07 PM »
Holy fuckshit.

:rollin

RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1483 on: August 13, 2013, 02:05:29 PM »
No way!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1484 on: August 13, 2013, 02:05:40 PM »
Since I have Poke-conspiracies on the mind...

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1485 on: August 13, 2013, 02:15:36 PM »
Someone has so much time on their hands...  :rollin

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1486 on: August 13, 2013, 02:22:07 PM »
ISN'T IT MIND BLOWING?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1487 on: August 13, 2013, 02:28:23 PM »
I disagree with the Dragonite and Gyrodos ones though.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1488 on: August 13, 2013, 02:29:25 PM »
Also the one trying to say Avatar The Last Airbender is pretty much pokemon is ridiculous as well.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #1489 on: August 13, 2013, 02:30:17 PM »

Especially considering the east-asian legend it's based on wouldn't really be as effective with a european style dragon.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1490 on: August 13, 2013, 03:30:29 PM »
Yeahhh... aside from a few good ones, that one is mostly bollocks.

RIP DTP.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1491 on: August 13, 2013, 05:30:15 PM »
The venomoth / butterfree one's likely to be right. Butterfree very closely resembles venonat - same eyes, same hands, same antennae. Likewise, venomoth's crest looks way more like a metapod than any part of butterfree. Not a huge stretch to presume that someone might've switched the art assets at some point in development. Possibly wanted metapod and kakuna's evolutions to contrast a little more? Either way, seems very likely that venonat and butterfree were designed as a pair.

The one that really baffles me is flygon and salamence. It looks like their names got switched. Bagon, shelgon and flygon - trapinch, vibrava and salamence. I can't think where that switch would have taken place, though. It's, specifically, an English language quirk, so it's something that happened in the localisation long after the original team was done with the game, but who's ever going to swivel the names around?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1492 on: August 13, 2013, 05:45:57 PM »
A shit ton more here  https://jiggmin.com/threads/58477-Pokemon-Conspiracy-Theories

I love these:

The area in real-life Japan where the games' region lines up is also called Kanto.
Saffron City is located in the same place on this map as Tokyo.
Goldenrod City is located in the same place as Kyoto.
Mount Silver is located where the real-life Mount Fuji is.
Cinnabar Island is located on the island of Izu Oshima. If you recall, Cinnabar Island is destroyed by a volcanic eruption between the first and second generations. Izu Oshima is home to Mount Mihara, which is a volcano.
Vermillion City is located where the real-life city of Yokohama stands.
Cianwood City is the only city whose corresponding real-life city is not considered part of Honshu, but rather of Shikoku. It corresponds with the city of Tokushima.

Hoenn is actually turned sideways to fit onto that map. It's on the island of Kyushu.
The city of Slateport corresponds with the real-life location of Nagasaki.
Mossdeep City is located on the real-life island of Tanegashima. Just like Mossdeep City is home to the Space Center, so Tanegashima is home to Tanegashima Space Center.
Sootopolis City is located on the real-life island of Yakushima. Yakushima's biggest mountain is Miyanoura-dake, which may or may not be volcanic. I'll let you know when I find out.
Evergrande City is located on the real-life island of Amami Oshima, where (I'm not making this up), a species of deadly poisonous snake lives and mongooses are trained to kill them. Sound familiar?

Sinnoh in reality is the island of Hokkaido, which is Japan's largest prefecture. The capital of Hokkaido is Sapporo, which is located in roughly the same location on that map as Jubilife City.
The port city of Otaru in Hokkaido corresponds with the location of Canalave City. The islands where one can catch Darkrai and Cresselia correspond with the locations of Teuri Island and Yagishiri Island.
The Pokemon League is located on the island of Kunashiri. Unlike that spot in the game, this island is volcanic.
Mount Asahi is in the same location on that map as Mount Coronet.

I think we all should know that Unova is based on New York City

Pokemon Black and White introduces a new game environment, a bustling metropolis based on New York City. That's not just us saying that: "[D]irector Junichi Masuda revealed that Unova (Isshu) was modeled after New York City; the games' Castelia City takes the place of Lower Manhattan and the Sky Arrow Bridge serves as a stand in for the Brooklyn Bridge."

Neat, huh? Let's take a look at the map! So there's the Brooklyn Bridge, and there's Central Park, and there's Manhattan, and right below is ..

Oh, dear.

So, how does Pokemon choose to depict the sensitive, emotionally charged setting of Ground Zero, a literal scar on our greatest city, left by our nation's most profound contemporary tragedy?

Obviously, they can't say the devastation was caused by terrorists. So they concocted a story about a falling meteor -- an object of unspeakable power that was quarantined by the government and is now being coveted by Team Plasma. Even weirder, another meteor dropped this Pokemon near the city.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...ok%C3%A9mon%29

Why do we bring him up? Take a look at his Wiki article. His official height is given as 9 feet 11 inches.

So, hey kids, gotta catch 'em all! Especially that new, super-rare Pokemon that is both the very embodiment of and directly responsible for 9/11.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1493 on: August 13, 2013, 05:51:53 PM »
I don't see ground zero in there... Is it that desert looking area?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1494 on: August 13, 2013, 05:53:16 PM »
Supposedly

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1495 on: August 13, 2013, 05:54:41 PM »
That's no conspiracy, I'm pretty sure Game Freak said they modeled gen 5 after New York City/America in general, just like gen 6 is modeled around France.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1496 on: August 13, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »
Yea I know it's not a conspiracy... but it's still  cool :P

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1497 on: August 13, 2013, 05:59:02 PM »
If it was intentional, especially the 9' 11" stuff, I think that's awesome. I don't find it offensive at all, and I think it's actually kind of respectful.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1498 on: August 13, 2013, 06:41:13 PM »
I've always kept the geographical thing as part of my own headcanon, though I guess that would make Pokemon's Earth much smaller in size.  :lol So as far as I'm concerned, Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh are in PokeJapan, Unova is where PokeNYC would be, and Kalos is PokeParis.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1499 on: August 16, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »
It appears the anime finally woke up and realized they had a phoney Trainer Red starring in it. Ladies and Gents, behold Pokemon: The Origin!!!! :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lyi2RSVxqg
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1500 on: August 16, 2013, 10:14:11 PM »
That looks...good. So it's supposed to actually follow the plot of the game and not meander off with random, uninteresting side stories?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1501 on: August 16, 2013, 10:17:47 PM »
I would totally watch an anime that follows the original series instead of somewhat adapting it. Plus, Ash has gotten kind of redundant, I don't believe many people besides children still follow that anime series.

And they better make one for Gold/Silver too, just to see the Mt. Silver battle between the protagonist and Red!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1502 on: August 16, 2013, 10:41:37 PM »
God, if they actually had a different protagonist and different everything for each region like in the games that would be SICK.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1503 on: August 16, 2013, 10:54:49 PM »
That's what they should have done. Every time Ash enters a new region, he forgets everything he's ever learned.  :lol

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1504 on: August 17, 2013, 06:11:20 AM »
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN WANTING FOR SO LONG! SCREW ASH, THAT CHEESY LITTLE...

This pleases me.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin