Author Topic: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.  (Read 24425 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.
« Reply #420 on: April 22, 2019, 07:24:06 AM »
so after a full weekend with our new Ruby we are learning a lot about her behavior and some of it isn't good. 

I'll give you her background as well as we know it.  According to her information package she was picked up as a stray in Texas and taken to a shelter, was rescued from an organization here in Wisconsin at the beginning of 2019, and had puppies at the end of February.  She was staying with a foster family who have two small children the entire time while in Wisconsin. the dog absolutely loved the foster family's kids and that has carried over to our son as well.  All of the dogs behavior inside the home is better than we had hoped, no accidents, obedient and loving.  It's outside the home we are experiencing difficulties.

Every sound, movement, etc and the dog goes into high alert mode.  she is barking at the neighbors, mostly male rather than female, when they come outside, growling at other dogs on walks, and chasing squirrels and birds. Our best guess is while she was a stray she was in complete defense and survival mode.  She also tends to react better to correction on the leash better while I'm in charge and less so for my wife.

if anyone has any tips on how to defuse these situations we are open to suggestions.

Norman was very much like that early on, and he still sucks at the dog park despite having dog friends all over the neighborhood. I would put a few pieces of homemade jerky in my pocket and keep a small piece in my hand. He'd know it was there and I would just walk. He would become so fixated on the jerky, he'd completely tune out the squirrels, the birds, any kids playing playing in their yards, etc.   

For all I know, that could be one of the worst ways to train a dog, but it seemed to help. I also carried a spray bottle around with me, and at the first sign of any kind of growling or teeth showing (fur standing up would come first), he'd get a spray.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #421 on: April 22, 2019, 07:36:07 AM »
Patience and consistency.  Anytime she displays behaviour you want to correct, do SOMETHING to distract her - a sharp noise, a slight tap on her somewhere, small snap of the leash ... anything. It will take time, and she may never be 100%, but it will get better.

Patience, consistence, and positive reinforcement.  You lose any of those, and you'll lose your progress.
I think Jingle is right as rain
warflwwcesfw.
That's meme-speak for "We are really f*****g lazy when we can't eve say full words".

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #422 on: April 22, 2019, 02:25:19 PM »
Patience and consistency.  Anytime she displays behaviour you want to correct, do SOMETHING to distract her - a sharp noise, a slight tap on her somewhere, small snap of the leash ... anything. It will take time, and she may never be 100%, but it will get better.

Patience, consistence, and positive reinforcement.  You lose any of those, and you'll lose your progress.

Jingle hit the nail on the head. Itíll take time but it can be trained. You also have to remember there has been a lot of transition in this dogs life. Give it a few months. One of my neighbors who fosters dogs full time told me it takes about six months of stability for them to let their defenses down. Consistency and routine is key.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #423 on: April 27, 2019, 03:35:45 PM »
I'm sorry to report that we've had to return our new dog Ruby back to the rescue facility.

It became more and more obvious each day that this dog had behavioral problems we were not equipped to handle.  Each day she became closer to us she also became more protective and more aggressive towards people outside the home to the point that the last day we had her she tried to attack two of my wife's friends inside our home.

When the rescue organization came to pick her up the dog was absolutely uncontrollable.  The two people who came for her couldn't believe we had put up with this behavior for a week.

I truly believe Ruby fell in love with us as she was gentle and playful inside our home, she played and licked our faces and it really felt like she had a real home.  We feel bad the dogs unknown past has screwed her up so mentally that we feel she'll have a very hard time finding the right person to help her find peace.

We are going to take another break from being doggy parents to get our heads straight, but know sooner or later we'll get the perfect fit for our home once again.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #424 on: April 28, 2019, 06:24:25 AM »
Damn. Sorry to hear that. Becoming so loving and aggressive at the same time is indeed problematic.
I think Jingle is right as rain
warflwwcesfw.
That's meme-speak for "We are really f*****g lazy when we can't eve say full words".

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #425 on: April 28, 2019, 10:17:52 AM »
Damn. Thatís a shame. You mentioned she just recently gave birth to a large litter. I wonder if there were some maternal chemicals floating around her system that are intended to be there for the defense of her young. Maybe your family took their place and she was just running on instinct?

Either way, sorry to hear the news.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #426 on: April 28, 2019, 04:33:06 PM »
I had to work the day we surrendered Ruby and according to my wife the rescue facility was a nightmare to deal with.  We also learned some things that might have raised a flag to us as well.

During my wife's conversation with the rescue manager she let slip that the dog had been in two different foster families while it was still in Texas.  Red flag number 1.

During the dogs stay at the foster family in Wisconsin, we learned the dog had a minor incident with the mother of couple fostering her.  Reg flag number 2.

Both of these situations would have immediately made us aware the dog most likely wouldn't have been a good match for our family.

We have heard from the new foster family since the surrender that the dog is currently doing well, and they even sent us a short video confirming it.  Hopefully the dog continues to get the assistance she needs to get turned around.

Offline Dreamdrummer

« Reply #427 on: May 10, 2019, 02:05:09 AM »
We have a new familymember :D

This is Jackson.
9 weeks old.

Welcome to the family little friend  ;D

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 02:34:02 AM by Dreamdrummer »
Drums - Music - Faith - Hope - Love - Tattoos - Learning To Live

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #428 on: May 10, 2019, 06:38:36 AM »
Awesome!! Puppies are so freaking adorable!!!! Looks like a Lab or Golden Retriever?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #429 on: May 10, 2019, 06:45:47 AM »
That's one handsome pupper!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My wife is a cabriolet
« Reply #430 on: May 10, 2019, 06:47:01 AM »
Who's the little sweetie? You are, Jackson.

Offline Dreamdrummer

« Reply #431 on: May 10, 2019, 06:54:32 AM »
Awesome!! Puppies are so freaking adorable!!!! Looks like a Lab or Golden Retriever?

He is indeed a Golden Retriever.

He is doing very well.
Feeling right at home in our presence from the get go.
Drums - Music - Faith - Hope - Love - Tattoos - Learning To Live

Offline T-ski

« Reply #432 on: May 10, 2019, 07:37:18 AM »
cute pup, congrats!