Author Topic: Pope made to sit down and behave himself by the Queen  (Read 10320 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Pope made to sit down and behave himself by the Queen
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2010, 09:00:20 AM »
My point is that the currency is no longer something Germany controls.

And my point is that it was Germany's democratic choice to join the union.

A constitutional monarchy is different from the absolute or executive monarchies of the continent and has outlived them and been extremely successful system of government with the Queen remaining head of state in 16 countries including Jamaica, Canada and New Zealand.

Reality is, it simply hasn't been sufficiently abused yet to show its weakness. Even though, Harper's stunt to prorogue the parliament for political gain is getting there in terms of abuse.

Andy, I don't think it escapes anybody here that you're ranting on the supposed lack of self-determination in continental democracies, whereas you're defending a monarchy for your own country. It's ridiculous.
The only reason why some European countries still have monarchs is because they know they better shut up and that they're nothing more than historical figureheads. If they actually exerted political will of their own they would get axed in no time.

rumborak
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:05:31 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2010, 02:46:30 AM »
My point is that the currency is no longer something Germany controls.

And my point is that it was Germany's democratic choice to join the union.
So why are you going on about situations being "unbearable" when any control the Queen has, which she doesn't - she has devotion and admiration - is completely in contrast to the control the EU has over Germany's currency? Maybe look in your own backyard first.

A constitutional monarchy is different from the absolute or executive monarchies of the continent and has outlived them and been extremely successful system of government with the Queen remaining head of state in 16 countries including Jamaica, Canada and New Zealand.

Reality is, it simply hasn't been sufficiently abused yet to show its weakness. Even though, Harper's stunt to prorogue the parliament for political gain is getting there in terms of abuse.

Andy, I don't think it escapes anybody here that you're ranting on the supposed lack of self-determination in continental democracies, whereas you're defending a monarchy for your own country. It's ridiculous.
The only reason why some European countries still have monarchs is because they know they better shut up and that they're nothing more than historical figureheads. If they actually exerted political will of their own they would get axed in no time.

rumborak

[/quote]
I don't think there's anything ridiculous about the overwhelming success of British consitutional monarchy and millions around the world benefit from it.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2010, 05:57:49 AM »
Speaking of the Queen; is it true that she's the last living person to have worn a commanding military uniform during WW2?
Not sure, she's a Field Marshall and nobody has been made a Field Marshall for well over a decade.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2010, 06:58:55 AM »
My question still "stands." Wouldn't it have been more insulting to not allow the Pope to sit?

Offline TL

« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2010, 04:19:42 PM »
Well, when I say suspending the government, I mean she puts parliament on hold, not sure if that was clear.

Either way, the thing is that she has done it. Recently. There were plans in parliament to get together and force a federal election, which our current PM was afraid he would lose, I suppose. So, he calls up the Queen or the Governor General and asks her to prorogue parliament, and suddenly he gets a nice vacation and no federal election threatening his position.
Actually, the Governor General allowed parliament to be prorogued because denying the PM's request would have been seen as her interfering. As much of a dick move as it was on Harper's part, the GG was just staying out of the way.

Besides, Harper has shown that he can be a threat to democracy all on his own, like when he addressed the nation to tell us that the constitutionally valid practice of coalition government is undemocratic, preying on the public's ignorance of how a parliamentary democracy works.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 04:26:17 PM by TL »

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2010, 06:48:52 PM »
Never mind the fact that his own party is a coalition of two parties  :lol

...my name is Araragi.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2010, 06:56:40 PM »

Sssshhh!  Don't talk about that!
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline TL

« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2010, 09:21:51 PM »

Very true.  :lol
Then there's also the fact that, when Martin was PM, Harper actually tried to form a coalition with the Bloc.