Author Topic: Kevin Moore thread  (Read 63605 times)

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
Re: Kevin Moore thread
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2009, 08:57:23 AM »
I can't remember if I asked before, but why is Moore part of OSI? I thought he lost all interest in prog.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2009, 08:59:06 AM »
I can't remember if I asked before, but why is Moore part of OSI? I thought he lost all interest in prog.

I think he still likes prog but lost interest on the whole shredding and soloing.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2009, 09:13:21 AM »

I think he still likes prog but lost interest on the whole shredding and soloing.

This. From what I've heard, he's more interested in mixing it with ambient/techno stuff - not to say that the metal/hard rock influence is lost, see eg The Escape Artist.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2009, 12:15:09 PM »
I believe I'm in the minority here, but I still think OSI's first album was their best. I feel like the ratio of Moore/Matheos influence is better on that album.

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2009, 12:30:12 PM »
I believe I'm in the minority here, but I still think OSI's first album was their best. I feel like the ratio of Moore/Matheos influence is better on that album.

I actually agree.  And yes, I do think we're in the minority for some reason.  I just remember the feeling of buying that first album and having no idea what it would sound like.  Then "The New Math (What He Said)" and "OSI" start up and it was an incredible feeling.  I think that album is the most prog sounding and the album's theme is really well-crafted.  Even the bonus CD has some sick shit on it - covers of Pink Floyd's "Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun" and Neil young's "New Mama."  It's a shame they haven't played live.  Some OSI songs would be awesome live.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #180 on: December 12, 2009, 05:51:19 PM »
Reading through this thread... :lol

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: December 22, 2009, 04:32:06 PM »
I know this guy named Kevin Moore. Nice guy. Played poker with him once.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #182 on: December 22, 2009, 04:35:02 PM »
lolwut
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Storm Rider

• The Progressive One
  • The Progressive One
« Reply #183 on: December 23, 2009, 11:44:21 AM »
When your life is poor
Call for Kevin Moore

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #184 on: December 23, 2009, 11:46:22 AM »
When your life is poor
Call for Kevin Moore

Yeah, when he goes into S-DV mode your life won't seem so poor anymore.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #185 on: December 23, 2009, 12:00:22 PM »

/obligatory

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #186 on: December 23, 2009, 01:03:22 PM »
Holy fuck, somebody updated my picture!!

Nice job :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #187 on: December 23, 2009, 01:20:19 PM »
It started here:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=7888.0

I figured I may as well figure out a way to update it.  I got quite a chuckle out of it, myself:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=7944.0

Glad you like it.  finding the right background for it was fun, but I think this one came out well.

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: December 23, 2009, 02:19:57 PM »
LOL.  Awesome.  I like it. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #189 on: December 23, 2009, 07:03:05 PM »
There was a kid named Kevin Moore in two of my classes this semester.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #190 on: December 24, 2009, 12:36:09 PM »
There's some pics of Kev Mo in Lifting Shadows. Do you think he'll pull a Crispin Glover and try to sue? :neverusethis:

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: December 24, 2009, 12:45:50 PM »
There's some pics of Kev Mo in Lifting Shadows. Do you think he'll pull a Crispin Glover and try to sue? :neverusethis:

I think I'm getting my copy tonight from family.  Can't wait to see the pics and everything.

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #192 on: December 28, 2009, 09:31:13 AM »
I know I should read the whole thread before posting, but I I just now saw this thread and don't have much time.
I recently left a band that I had been with for seven years. It wasn't until after the fifth year when we got a promoter (our guitar player's girlfriend), and we got insanely busy. As soon as we started playing heavily is when I started getting unhappy with pretty much everything about being in that band. You wouldn't have known it when I was playing; I only brought up my complaints behind closed doors with the band members. Finally, a little over a year ago, I had a big argument with the band in a meeting and told them that if they wouldn't slow down that I would be leaving. They said they would slow down, but they didn't, so I announced that I was leaving. My breakup with them was a long time in the making, but to all of the fans it looked like a very abrupt decision, and I had all kinds of people hounding me about leaving, and between the fans nagging me and my drummer calling me every other day trying to talk me out of leaving, I got really, really sick of hearing and talking about it. And that was just a local band. I can't even imagine what KM went through when he announced that he was leaving DT. Since he's a professional musician, I'm sure he too was capable of looking like he was having a good time whilst playing; for that matter just because he wasn't happy with the whole situation doesn't mean that there weren't pleasurable moments on tour that he still cherishes.
His reasons for leaving are not the same reasons I left my band, but I can relate to how he must have felt while making his decisions, and maybe he had to put up with a lot of negativity coming from lots of directions and it pushed him to the point of not ever wanting to talk about it with anyone.
Just my two cents.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: December 28, 2009, 10:25:37 AM »
I must say, I always thoughts that Kevin had left due to personality or creative problems with the bandmembers.  But after reading "Lifting Shadows," I simply think he didn't like having a taste of fame and experiencing the machine of the music industry and having music become a job instead of a passion.  I mean, the band had worked so hard for six years for a break and had struggled to find a vocalist for like a year and a half or whatever.  And then when their break came in 1992, he decided a little over a year later that he wanted to leave.  In the book, the band doesn't really cite personality conflicts.  They just say he got distant and quiet.  I think he realized fame wasn't for him, which is why he packed up his car and drove cross country to sort of "disappear" for a while.  Even James said in the book that he and KM had one-on-one talks where Kev would ponder about what was really important in life and if being in the band was most important.  He didn't seem to like being a rockstar.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:31:03 AM by Mebert78 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #194 on: December 28, 2009, 12:24:33 PM »
Great posts by both 2Timer and Mebert78.  Kudos to both of you guys for those; you both gave a lot of intelligent and well-put insight.  :tup :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #195 on: December 30, 2009, 08:40:54 AM »
Here you go...

Axis, Boston
12-16-92

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #196 on: December 30, 2009, 09:23:20 AM »
Here you go...

Axis, Boston
12-16-92

Thanks TAC 
Hey maybe we were on the same part of the slanted floor there mostlikely i was near the bar tho lol!! huh?

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: December 30, 2009, 09:47:40 AM »
Wow!  I'm gonna add these to my site.  Do you have any other Kmo photos?  I love his rolled-up sleeves, lol.  It's so early 1990s.

Offline dtangra

« Reply #198 on: March 11, 2011, 04:52:05 AM »
his latest releases :

Kev has made a mini site for this

https://chromakey.squarespace.com/

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #199 on: March 11, 2011, 05:28:30 AM »
I deeply miss his songwriting and lyrics also. Would love to see him one more time in DT at least in a one-off show (on DVD of course) with the band playing all his old tunes. Should be a double venue: Images and words - intermission - Awake. He´s a brilliant musician and I wish him the best.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline robwebster

« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2011, 05:31:25 AM »
As nice as it is to see the Kevin Moore thread bumped, we do actually have an entire subforum for him, now.

Worth checking out.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #201 on: March 11, 2011, 07:09:47 AM »
his latest releases :

Kev has made a mini site for this

https://chromakey.squarespace.com/

Hasn't he been composing this album for ages or something? :p
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #202 on: March 11, 2011, 07:25:50 AM »
Nope. It's actually a few years old, only now getting a release.

Offline wjc

« Reply #203 on: March 14, 2011, 05:36:45 AM »
Bought Shine a while back, CD/poster hasn't come but the music is pretty good!
Have your say in DT: The League

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #204 on: March 14, 2011, 06:29:53 PM »
It's hard. I really like rudess, but to me, moore had more to offer in terms of diversity. he was much more of an artistic contributor with relation to the band as a whole. he added this rich, atmospheric element to DT, as well as a songwriting aspect which is somewhat lacking with rudy, imo. people always say rudess fits better because he is a better musician, but that's only a one dimensional argument, because when moore was still a part of the band, DT was not based solely on musicianship, as it was only one component of the multifaceted DT machine. rudess being the phenomenal musician he is, reinforced the idea that DT was a band whose main attraction was crazy solos and odd time signatures, when in my opinion, they are so much more than that.

/rant.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline j

« Reply #205 on: March 14, 2011, 06:54:50 PM »
people always say rudess fits better because he is a better musician

Maybe this is showcasing my musical ignorance once again, but I've never really grasped this.  Did DT honestly ever have to "dumb down" anything that they originally wanted so that Moore could play it?  Was he actually limiting them with his less-than-godly chops?  He always sounded great to me, like he fit in just fine, hardly a weak link technically.  And I won't even start on his ability to contribute atmosphere and texture to songs.

Rudess is a mind-blowing musician as far as I can tell, but did adding him really open up all these new possibilities for DT that were being held back when Moore was in the band?  I don't buy it.

-J

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #206 on: March 14, 2011, 07:31:32 PM »
i never said they had to "dumb down" things for moore, brotherman.

but yah, he fit alright.

edit - will you people please get an avatar so i can recognize you? kthanx.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline j

« Reply #207 on: March 14, 2011, 07:45:30 PM »
My bad, that wasn't intended to be directed at you, I've heard a lot of people say things like that.  "Jordan's technical superiority makes him a better fit for DT", etc.

-J

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #208 on: March 14, 2011, 08:04:26 PM »
Kevin Moore.  That is all.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #209 on: March 14, 2011, 11:13:06 PM »
My bad, that wasn't intended to be directed at you, I've heard a lot of people say things like that.  "Jordan's technical superiority makes him a better fit for DT", etc.

-J

I almost think of it as the way most super groups turned out, minus the "everyone has egos" part of course. The idea if phenomenal on paper and when it clicks,  it clicks so well, but the rest of the time (most of the time for almost all of those groups) it gets a little unbearable.