Author Topic: Will John Myung be next?  (Read 11446 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Will John Myung be next?
« on: September 14, 2010, 07:42:26 AM »
With MP's unexpected departure the true fate of the band is up in the air. Even if the next album is on time and everything goes according to plan, we still don't know how this will turn out for quite a while. Our buddy JM has seemed very out of it the last few year, sort of like only staying in the band fo the sake of the band. If the new DT doesn't end up working out so well, do you think JM will choose to leave as well?

Offline Killer123™

Re: Will John Myung be next?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:55:35 AM »
As far as I know, JM and JP have always been together. Myung usually sticks with Petrucci, and so I don't think he's leaving just because Mike left.

Offline jag66

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 07:56:09 AM »
nah, he should start writing again now I reckon  :hat

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 08:01:05 AM »
As far as I know, JM and JP have always been together. Myung usually sticks with Petrucci, and so I don't think he's leaving just because Mike left.

Actually, as far as I know... they're only together in DT. Every other sideproject/solo work JM or JP have done has been without the other.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 08:06:25 AM »
Nope. This is what he does for a living. He is not going to retire, he's a musician. Also, he is comfortable with these guys.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 08:14:10 AM »
The two Johns still seem to have fun with each other on stage.  I don't think JM is going anywhere unless Jelly Jam somehow become Muse or Kings of Leon huge with this next album.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:50:34 AM »
JM is going nowhere, since he has nowhere to go.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 09:20:31 AM »
I honestly don't imagine he would go anywhere. DT is his job security. And all of us are waiting to see how the new record shapes up. Weren't there hints that he may consider contributing more lyrical content? Perhaps with Mike gone, John may also add more musical ideas...or maybe he'll just sit there with his mouth closed and play his bass like he always does. I don't know. I guess we'll find out.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 09:41:23 AM »
I wish.

Actually, I take that back. Maybe he'll do something interesting for a change now that Mike's gone.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 09:43:32 AM »
JM is going nowhere, since he has nowhere to go.

rumborak

Basically, this. I understand where you're coming from, Chino, but I don't really think that JM will follow MP.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 09:53:41 AM »
I don't think JM will leave the band. I think he would've left the band some time ago already if he was uncomfortable with his role in the band. But I hope he'll contribute more to the next album because someone has to fill the void left by Mike (lyrics-wise) and I think JLB and JM could together do that. James has usually written lyrics for 1 or 2 songs on the albums so if there was need for more lyrics and JP and JLB couldn't come up with anything, JM could help.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 09:56:08 AM »
Kevin Moore will rejoin the band as a banjo player before that happens.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 11:49:47 AM »
I don't think JM will leave the band. I think he would've left the band some time ago already if he was uncomfortable with his role in the band. But I hope he'll contribute more to the next album because someone has to fill the void left by Mike (lyrics-wise) and I think JLB and JM could together do that. James has usually written lyrics for 1 or 2 songs on the albums so if there was need for more lyrics and JP and JLB couldn't come up with anything, JM could help.

I hope they loosen up a bit on the rule about lyrics having to be "in a finished state" or whatever, and thus encourage JM to write lyrics again.  I always assumed that that rule was Mike's idea, but probably because I always saw Mike as a dictator and control freak.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 12:20:05 PM »
I think reality is that JM also doesn't put a lot of initiative into it. You can "loosen" the rules all you want, but if JM goes home after the gig to his family and doesn't show up with lyrics the next time, it's not gonna help you.

rumborak

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 12:24:59 PM »
I think reality is that JM also doesn't put a lot of initiative into it. You can "loosen" the rules all you want, but if JM goes home after the gig to his family and doesn't show up with lyrics the next time, it's not gonna help you.

rumborak

Part of me thinks he was kinda bullied into that though.

I could be wrong, but sometimes it seems that way

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 12:32:11 PM »
I don't think so. Rumby already stated why.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Aniland

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 01:29:47 PM »
He doesn't seem too happy. Remember the video of recent where the cameraman says "Have anything to say John?" and he just looked down at the floor with an incredibly sad look on? That didn't look like a guy who is happy with his surroundings.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 01:32:39 PM »
He doesn't seem too happy. Remember the video of recent where the cameraman says "Have anything to say John?" and he just looked down at the floor with an incredibly sad look on? That didn't look like a guy who is happy with his surroundings.

He's an introvert. He doesn't do those sort of interviews, and he never has, even in the early days. Hell, even on his instructional video he stammers and mumbles a lot of the time :P

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 01:36:23 PM »
When I saw him live this summer, he seemed to have a lot of fun on stage.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 01:37:27 PM »
When I saw him live this summer, he seemed to have a lot of fun on stage.

He even kicked a beach ball on stage - I've seen it on YouTube.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 01:43:02 PM »

True.  Loosening the rules now may not help, as the damage has been done.  I just figure that JM used to like writing lyrics.  If it was something that was always valued and encouraged within the band, then he would find time to do it, just as he finds time to practice and learn the new songs and stuff even though he has a family.  It would be one more "band-related" thing that gets prioritized in his life.

But he got shot down, and at this point, he hasn't written in a while and perhaps has lost the feel for it, just doesn't care to do it anymore, so even if the possibility opens up, it won't happen.  But we don't know.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 02:11:39 PM »
Will JP leave next?  Will JLB leave next??  Why does everyone always assume JM is sad and depressed with the band and that he just gets dragged along?  It's like people don't think he has any will power or something.

If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 02:17:47 PM »
Agreed, it's pretty rediculous

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 02:28:57 PM »
The one Jordan shot during the BC&SL sessions?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 02:33:06 PM »
I think a lot of JMX's personality is for the humor of it. I mean, obviously he is a greatly private and quiet person, but the fanbase has had so much ridiculous fun with it that perhaps it has gotten to the point that he perpetuates it for the amusement of it. Like in that video with the roadie getting the dollars from everyone...JMX's part is by far the funniest, and he's clearly enjoying the moment, relishing in his "Weirdness" for the sake of the joke.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 02:33:46 PM »
He would never leave...................................... But, If he did leave, it would be under the cover of darkness, in the dead of night, leaving without a trace.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 02:35:18 PM »
I think a lot of JMX's personality is for the humor of it. I mean, obviously he is a greatly private and quiet person, but the fanbase has had so much ridiculous fun with it that perhaps it has gotten to the point that he perpetuates it for the amusement of it. Like in that video with the roadie getting the dollars from everyone...JMX's part is by far the funniest, and he's clearly enjoying the moment, relishing in his "Weirdness" for the sake of the joke.

This, totally. He knows about it, the whole band knows about it, so obviously they're gonna release the snippets that reinforce it.

rumborak

Offline TL

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 04:24:20 PM »

This, totally. He knows about it, the whole band knows about it, so obviously they're gonna release the snippets that reinforce it.

rumborak

This, definitely.

Plus, he seemed to be enjoying himself in recent live vids.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 05:15:20 PM »
I thought we would have learnt our lesson by saying "oh, he would never leave!"  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 05:17:14 PM »
Was that video of him kicking the beach ball at the Phoenix show? A beach ball made on stage once but I can't remember if JM kicked it. I just remember a security guy catching it the second time and popping it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 05:30:22 PM »
I can't view it, but thanks anyway.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 05:47:57 PM »
maybe he just didnt want the beach ball in his way. as for the subject of the tread i dont believe hes gonna leave. not for a sec

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 10:37:37 AM »
I wish people would just accept that JM is just naturally quiet and doesn't necessarily want to get involved all the time rather than choosing to believe there's some more sinister reason for him not writing and stuff...of course he's not gonna leave the band.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Mladen

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 03:10:05 PM »

This is how I see it as well. And that short bit with JMX giving Eric a dollar is so hilarious. ''Here you go, sir!'', ''He even spoke!''  :lol