Author Topic: Reflection of Reality: A Message to Fellow Fans  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Ytsejammin

• The biggest DT freak in Idaho
Reflection of Reality: A Message to Fellow Fans
« on: September 12, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
Reflections of Reality:
A Message to Fellow Fans,
Hopefully not a Manifesto.

If there was one aspect of my life that I thought would remain unchanged for a while, it was MPs role in Dream Theater. Like many of you out there, I started listening to DT and MP in ’93. Recent events have affected me deeply, as I ‘m sure many of you. Forgive me if I ramble disconnectedly and to those who indulge me by reading this…my gratitude in advance.

A lot of artists I was turned onto by MP. It was usually in the form of a support group, which he apparently hand-picked most of the time. It’s safe to say that DT and MP have had a profound impact on many of our lives. This piece is meant to examine our reactions to a perceived change in that impact. It is divided into 3 parts (in true prog movement fashion).

Part 1: Speculative Questioning.

Part of mine and other fellow DT fans reactions to recent events in one of speculative suggesting. We see the message boards as a vehicle to disperse this reaction. Here are some examples of my reactions questioning over the last few days:

I don’t know if the others guys maybe didn’t want to give in this time. Could they have wanted to retain some control?

Was this a “chose us or them” scenario? Did the other band members not want their schedules to revolve around him? Did the other band members think “If he bites off more than he can chew, it’s HIS problem.” Did the other band members take the band away from Portnoy?

Is there something going on here that could relate to the Kevin Moore departure?

If this is a war, I wonder, who’ll win?

Did the other guys ever offer to help the man out?

Will he be with A7X throughout 2011 now?

Did the other band members know that the Maiden tour would be his last?   

Is he leaving knowing full well that he can get back in?

How could he have kept up the schedule with A7X and other projects and start a DT album in January?

Is Portnoy still dealing with his fathers passing?

Was the quote “I could be just at home in another band” prophetic?

Is “I was hoping for just a break, not a split” a form of finger pointing? Is it a way to place blame? 

Are they going to be able to maintain their audience? Are we headed back to La Bataclan?

Has there been a steady decline since the making of BC&SL? Is “Wither” a bone of contention between guitarist and drummer? Did anyone else suspect a lack of input from Portnoy in the lyrics department on “BC&SL?

Has the tension been mounting since the rumors that PN’ 09 made no money?

Can I respectfully, without intent to offend artist or fans, suggest the possibility of a relapse?

Will someone take this all too far and will there be another incident like Dimebag?

Whoa! Now that went to a dark place! All this is, of course, a speculative reaction to a change in our lives. We question uncertainty. In this enhanced emotional state, we may take our theories to extremes. But we want to feel that our worries may be justified so we visit these boards to test our hypotheses on our fellow fans. Basically, we’re able to commune here as a source of comfort.

I’ve had the occasional concern about the possibility of what may be perceived as a “Chris DeGarmo Effect”, or “Roger Waters Effect” being the outfall from this turn of events. I’ve even gone as far as to suggest to myself a “Gabriel/Hackett/Collins Effect” but, it seems a stretch to apply these silly worries, right?

Do we, the fans, have a role in all this. Did we expect too much? Were we spoiled by our supposed drummer friend? Was the tune “Never Enough” a warning of sorts? Did we fail to heed?  Could we fans have been so fool-hearty so think that this could last? Was DT and MP too much of a good thing?

Questions, constantly flooding into our minds in an attempt to ease our altered state.

There is also another reaction: Wonderment and possibly an enchantment from the event:

Part 2: Mesmerized by the Change.

Fucking job opening man! I wonder who has or hasn’t been ruled out. Dave Dicenso? Donati? Morgenstien? Mike Mangini? I wonder who’s waiting for a chance to employ Portnoy himself!

Some may say that Mr. Portnoy is being very selfish, or suggest that he’s taking himself away from the fans. Some may react in anger saying, “He thinks He’s too good for us!”

I think I side with MP on the issue of taking a break. They certainly had my permission, for a while actually, to do so. The fan who posted the “This interview makes me kinda nervous” thread a few months back may have been strangely prophetic.

I remember a time (my frail virgin mind) around ’05 when I thought about what I’d say if I met Portnoy or the band. It was something along the lines of “Myself and a lot of others are truly grateful for this fan/band relationship but, please don’t burn yourself out”. I was worried they might push themselves “Too Far”. I remember having a concern for their workload and a possible burnout similar to Yes at the end of the 70’s.  I never got the chance to offer or suggest that because the Octavarium show I had a meet and greet package to was canceled. Could I have gotten online and posted that? Am I trying to blame myself? Is that the psychological level on which this band is in my head? “O.K. this guy cares about DT WAY TOO MUCH”.

Perhaps the fact that the 12 Step Suite, “A Change of Seasons” and “The Best of Times” were completed was a large portion of fulfillment of  Mike Portnoys artistic aspiration and/or compositional goals for DT. I’m concerned that the 12 Step Suite, something I was looking forward to possibly happening in 2011, will not be performed. Even if it was, would it have the same meaning without its lyricist onstage?  You may be able to replace MP with another onstage performer, but can you replace that spirit? I doubt it. There’s a quote on page 218, paragraph 3, of Lifting Shadows that adds to this sentiment.

It may be an unwise thing on both ends but at the same time, it is kind of exciting that DT’s having a lineup change. I, perhaps like many of you, are confused about this situation, but also trying to remain optimistic and look forward at the same time. In fact, I almost want to rally behind the 4 remaining guys. Not to take a side, but to be supportive and say “Hold on! We need you!”. Like a lot of us did during the Falling into Infinity period. We’ll see what happens. I don’t appear, at this time, to be in the “It’s not DT without Portnoy” category. Portnoy appears to be letting the guys respectfully carry it on. He doesn’t seem to be hording from his former bandmates or us.  DT have to write their own history, perhaps they should differ from the norm. Time will tell what the result of these events will yield.

We, as fans, have an opportunity to take some responsibility here. This must be an
unusual or perhaps even difficult time for all parties involved. We have a choice whether or not to support the artists under the marquee name Dream Theater. We did in ’98 and I know we can do it again if 2 things can fall into place. 1: We have to want it. 2: The music makes us rise to the occasion. If I may respectfully dare to suggest, it may very well behoove ALL Dream Theater fans to ensure the continuity of the band. “And still life pushes on, with or without you. We’ve got to carry on. Our will, will guide us too a place where we belong. Know there lies the truth. I am the believer who gives purpose onto you.”

A lot of things happened to fall into place for me leading up to finding this out. There’s been a strange pattern of generosity towards me lately. Like the universe around me is responding to the incident. In fact, at this writing , my daughter just put her DT shirt on. I wonder how much this decision will personally effect my life. I know it’s just entertainment, but the reality is that DT and MP have been very influential forces in our  lives for the last 18 years.  I’m glad I didn’t find out ‘till the weekend because this would have certainly affected my work performance. 

For all the disappointment anyone may feel regarding this situation, following your heart does count for something. In fact, some would say it counts for everything. After all, there may be evidence that the years Portnoy was with DT were great because he WAS following his heart. We ALL benefited from that.

If there’s anything positive to come out of this, it will start when DT and MP release their next projects. This fan is open to this turning out to be a good thing. Dream Theater certainly appears to be in a position to have something to prove. Believe me,  be poised for 2011!

Assuming that this arrangement is permanent, though there appears to be sentiments from both sides that it may not have to be, it sure as hell was fucking fun while it lasted! I wonder, however, if the true test will be how long our leader can stay away. If this turns out to just be a mere bump in the road in the history of DT, then the next album may be destined to be a standout similar to Drama from the Yes catalog.

Part 3: The Music Heals

It’s interesting that I’ve been listening to DT heavily over the last few days. It’s not surprising, however, because I’ve always listened to them to ease change. I was going to make my first “post finding out” listen “Learning to Live” from Images but, it occurred to me that MP might not want to be sent off too that. You know, the whole triggered snare thing. So I did it from Germany in ’07. I’ve also done excerpts from Tokyo ’02, “Sacrificed Sons” from SCORE, “Endless Sacrifice” from LAB, “Duel with the Devil” from Transatlantic-Live in Europe, “Raise the Knife”(suggested by HalenRush, thanks dude) ,  “A Change of Seasons” and “The Glass Prison” from Boston ’02.  As I’ve continued listening to their pieces in recent days, I find myself joyously air drumming along, perhaps in reverence and/or honor of the departed. Is this ironic? Does the irony have a sense to it all? Am I using Dream Theater to help me through an uncertain Dream Theater time? Do I need to get laid?

What I feel most is: “Thanks for everything DT and Mike.”

“Seize the day and don’t you cry. Now it’s time to say goodbye. Even though, I’ll be gone. I WILL live on…Live on!”

Please do not misunderstand or overtly judge this fan for these musings. They are merely a whirlwind of hypotheses that have been swirling around my head over the last few days. I only wish to participate in, stir and drum up the ongoing discussion regarding this issue. I am extremely grateful to have a place to do this. I look forward to reading what everyone else feels.
Through natures inflexible grace , I\'m learning to live.

Online The Letter M

Re: Reflection of Reality: A Message to Fellow Fans
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 03:15:24 PM »

Has there been a steady decline since the making of BC&SL? Is “Wither” a bone of contention between guitarist and drummer? Did anyone else suspect a lack of input from Portnoy in the lyrics department on “BC&SL?

Came to this point and wanted to note that Mike has only written lyrics for only 2 songs each on the last 4 albums:
"This Dying Soul" and "Honor Thy Father"
"The Root Of All Evil" and "Never Enough" (and a couple parts of "Octavarium" if you count that)
"Repentance" and "Constant Motion"
"The Shattered Fortress" and "The Best Of Times"

And of those songs, half of them were for the Twelve Step Suite (much of which he probably planned out years in advance) while the other half all deal with very personal topics with Mike - his relationship with his step-father, his feelings regarding fans, his OCD, and his relationship and memory with his father. It seems to me Mike has been pretty STEADY in his lyrical output over the last 7 years. And if you go back to SDOIT, he only penned "The Glass Prison" and half of the title track, which was done more so to suit the concept rather than be of a personal nature (although "Goodnight Kiss" was a bit of a tribute to his kid from what I've heard/read). So even though some of his songs are some of the fans' favorites, his output has been relatively steady rather than declining, as far as lyrics go at least.

Also, in a recently uploaded interview with MP, filmed sometime earlier this summer, he admits that he wasn't likely to contribute any lyrics to DT11. He was more willing to just let JP write all the lyrics on the next album. Would this have meant he was already growing tired of some aspects within the band? Or was he just running out of things to write about? Or perhaps he just felt he was done writing lyrics? If so, he would just be drumming, and perhaps, doing background vocals... one less hat to wear in DT.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 05:31:00 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 03:16:02 PM »
tl;dr

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 03:16:22 PM »
I was going to type up a reply but my bones have become too frail in the time it took me to read it.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 03:20:55 PM »
When I saw that...

... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 04:43:07 PM »
Well written post, but I think you care WAY too much about DT. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Ytsejammin

• The biggest DT freak in Idaho
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 05:23:20 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Point taken on the lyrical front Mr. The Letter M.
Through natures inflexible grace , I\'m learning to live.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 05:49:02 PM »
It's interesting how there has been this sudden surge of posters who bless us with elaborate "messages" and analyses of the situation. I mean, I can understand the cathartic effect of writing it, but I would go with SnakeEyes' post and say "Dude, chillax. Russia didn't just invade the United States. All that happened was that a rock drummer miscalculated the extent of his power and ended up taking the short straw. That's all there is to it."
Ten years from now this event will be a footnote in a VH1 "metal history" program.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 06:08:04 PM »
It's interesting how there has been this sudden surge of posters who bless us with elaborate "messages" and analyses of the situation. I mean, I can understand the cathartic effect of writing it, but I would go with SnakeEyes' post and say "Dude, chillax. Russia didn't just invade the United States. All that happened was that a rock drummer miscalculated the extent of his power and ended up taking the short straw. That's all there is to it."
Ten years from now this event will be a footnote in a VH1 "metal history" program.

rumborak

This 100%.  Yes I was shocked but I'm interested in the future and await a new CD and tour. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 06:42:15 PM »
. All that happened was that a rock drummer miscalculated the extent of his power and ended up taking the short straw. That's all there is to it."

That's funny..and partly true, I guess.

But I wouldn't begrudge anyone who wants to get their feelings out. Dream Theater has been the soundtrack to my adult life, so while I don't have the time and energy that ytsejammin had to write a long post, I've spent a lot of time thinking about this this week. Speaking for myself, as music is my number one hobby type thing, this is a major shakeup. It'll blow over for sure, but WTF..it's only been 4 days.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Octavawake

• If you're sleepin', you're not gonna play anything
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 07:13:19 PM »

But I wouldn't begrudge anyone who wants to get their feelings out. Dream Theater has been the soundtrack to my adult life, so while I don't have the time and energy that ytsejammin had to write a long post, I've spent a lot of time thinking about this this week. Speaking for myself, as music is my number one hobby type thing, this is a major shakeup. It'll blow over for sure, but WTF..it's only been 4 days.

Dream Theater holds a place in my heart that no other band has. Yeah, I love loads of other bands but hearing "Dream Theater" ignites those feelings man. Seeing that I&W cover art with the Yellow DT font is just mind blowing.

You can never care too much about Dream Theater, I think.
He who gambles his money away is a fool! But he who believes in me will go to spend eternity in space.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 07:19:33 PM »

Unless you're ZeppelinDT.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 09:03:04 PM »

Unless you're ZeppelinDT.
He doesn't care all that much about DT.  He just cares about DT stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member