Author Topic: Session drummer for 2011 tour / album ?  (Read 8415 times)

Offline Peter1960

Session drummer for 2011 tour / album ?
« on: September 11, 2010, 11:45:31 AM »
I don't know if anyone has posted this idea - apologies if they have  - there are loads of threads and emails floating around !!

From reading the transcripts of the interview on the Eddie Trunk show it appears that Mike hasn't fallen out with the guys, still wants to be in the band and would like to return in the future (which JP has also welcomed) - at the moment, MP is just stale and feels burnt out. So, instead of replacing him permanently, how about getting in a session drummer to do the album and tour next year ?

That way, the "temporary"drummer won't have to feel that he is replacing Mike and won't be scrutinised so heavily by the fans, with every aspect of his performance under the microscope. He will be in to do a job in 2011 and perhaps part of 2012 before departing with the band (and fans) thanks.

DT usually release an album every 2 years. After next years album, the follow up probably won't be until 2013 - over two years away, which fits in with Mike's required hiatus. He can then rejoin the band and everything will be rosy again !

I am sure there have been examples of a band member being too ill to tour and being replaced, temporarily, by another musician, but still remaining in the band. I remember seeing Toto in 1995 when Greg or Matt Bissonette (can't remember which !) replaced Simon Phillips on their European tour because Simon was ill; however, he was back the next tour. Although Mike isn't ill, he is "not available" at the moment. So why not replace him temporarily, on the basis that his replacement will only perform in a session capacity ?

There must be drummers out there that could fill Mike's shoes for one album and the tour to promote it, but where the "long term" chemistry isn't so important. This way, DT could tailor their live set to exclude really technically demanding numbers that might be beyond the capablities of the session drummer (eg "The Dance of Eternity"). Whilst the session drummer will obviously have to be technically competent to be in a band like DT, they will not necessarily need to be capable of playing the entire back catalogue, as they will only be in for one tour.

Given the departure of Mike is slightly unusual (when most musicians quit a band, it is usually for musical differences or because they can't get on with the rest of the band) I believe a temporary replacement could work.

Peter

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Session drummer for 2011 tour / album ?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 11:52:31 AM »
Great idea, but Mike isn't ill or sick.  He quit.  And JP said that they will seek a permanent replacement, not a temporary solution.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 11:53:59 AM »
Yeah, by the sounds of things, they're continuing under the assumption that MP's departure is permanent. The Trooch has kind of addressed this on his website...

Quote from: John Petrucci
To me it doesn't matter if someone is in place or not as far as composing is concerned.
We are not looking to do anything "interim" or "temporary"

He's also said they're looking for...
A monster who can handle the technical, groove, metal and sensitive sides of our music.

And re: working with MP again:
If Mike chose to return in the future, would the band be okay with it?
I would love to have the chance to play with Mike again.
Which is neither a yes nor a no.

So, I kinda think they're looking for a permanent drummer. If Mike wants to rejoin, they'll address it as they see fit, but I don't think they're taking the possibility as granted. Which is wise, in my opinion.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 11:58:36 AM »
I would like to say that JP saying he'd like to play with MP again really doesn't have anything to do with DT.  They have played together in LTE and on JP's solo spots on the G3 tour.  So JP saying that he'd like to play with MP again while also saying they are seeking a permanent solution involves no contradiction.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 12:01:50 PM »
But didn't Mike say that they made it blatantly obvious that the door is always open for him in DT?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 12:04:05 PM »
But didn't Mike say that they made it blatantly obvious that the door is always open for him in DT?

Even if he did, he is now, hard as it is to believe, an outsider. 

When John Petrucci, James LaBrie or Jordan Rudess say it, I'll believe it. 

Or if someone asks John Myung and he nods.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 12:05:25 PM »
I would like to say that JP saying he'd like to play with MP again really doesn't have anything to do with DT.  They have played together in LTE and on JP's solo spots on the G3 tour.  So JP saying that he'd like to play with MP again while also saying they are seeking a permanent solution involves no contradiction.
I'd probably agree with that reading, but I'm a little bit wary that if I start looking for subtexts my head would disappear up my arse. I do tend to get carried away.

I think the fact that he said "work with MP again" rather than "invite him back" is telling, though. 'Specially in combination with saying that he wants a new drummer permanently, rather than temporarily. They're not desperate to have him back, which is very solid.

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 12:12:17 PM »
I reckon that they probably did tell him that he'll always be welcome to come back, and they probably meant it too, but DT aren't going to say that to the  public as they are trying to move forward as strongly as ever and make the best of the situation, thus they don't want to show any sign of weakness or wanting Mike to come back. Hence why JP said that their new drummer won't be temporary.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 03:00:58 PM »
I'd probably agree with that reading, but I'm a little bit wary that if I start looking for subtexts my head would disappear up my arse. I do tend to get carried away.

I think the fact that he said "work with MP again" rather than "invite him back" is telling, though. 'Specially in combination with saying that he wants a new drummer permanently, rather than temporarily. They're not desperate to have him back, which is very solid.
I dunno, I think it just keeps it more open. None of them can know how things will progress with whatever drummer they choose, so it's open, but whether it's with DT or not, JP would like to play with MP again, which is great to hear.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 05:56:33 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken, DT is planning on a future with a different drummer. What MP hopes to happen down the road is a very different thing from what will make sense for DT.
Right now, according to the interview, MP hopes to have the cake and eat it too. He wants to have his indefinite break, and then slide back in when he feels like it.
Whether this "come back anytime you want " notion will remain over the course of months or years is very questionable.

rumborak
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:45:07 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline LTE

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 06:08:11 PM »
Mike Portnoy does session drumming.

:neverusethis:
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 06:49:31 PM »

He could wear one of those fake glasses/mustache combo things and sneak in for an audition.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 02:36:44 AM »
I can see that : "Hey, guys, Groucho Marx has come for an audition!"
                      "Wait! What?!?!? Isn't he....DEAD?!?!?"
                      "Oh, no, I think it's Mike disguised as such!"
                      "Mike WHO?"
                      "You know, our former drummer!"
                      "Mike WHO?"
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 12:45:41 PM »

Bingo.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 12:50:23 PM »
Or if someone asks John Myung and he nods.
Those jokes never gets old! :rollin

Offline wasp2020

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 03:17:11 PM »

He could wear one of those fake glasses/mustache combo things and sneak in for an audition.

He gets accepted in, and he thinks he's being really sneaky. But the whole band already knows it's Mike, but they don't tell him. They make him keep up the disguise for years and years.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 04:42:04 PM »
They could always do what Korn did and get a session to play backstage and appear on stage with no drummer. That would be interesting. Or he could wear a mask or have no lights on him. Hm.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 04:46:47 PM »
They could always do what Korn did and get a session to play backstage and appear on stage with no drummer. That would be interesting. Or he could wear a mask or have no lights on him. Hm.

That was very douchey on their part.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC