Author Topic: Portnoy Interview Tonight on Eddie Trunk's Show  (Read 47133 times)

Offline Aniland

Re: Portnoy Interview Tonight on Eddie Trunk's Show
« Reply #245 on: September 10, 2010, 10:35:48 PM »
I feel like he has a bit of an attitude; "they're REALLY gonna have to step up to the plate; they're gonna have to put in 500 percent to cover the ground [I was covering".

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #246 on: September 10, 2010, 10:39:25 PM »
Yeah that 500% comment wasn't necessary. I know what he meant but it was a bit much.

Offline wasp2020

« Reply #247 on: September 10, 2010, 10:42:22 PM »
I'm looking forward more to DT's next album, than to the possibility of Mike returning. I don't think it's going to work out for Mike very well in a few years, unless he finds a new band to work with and feel comfortable in, and settles in there, and forgets about returning to DT fulltime. Because as JP said, they aren't thinking temporarily with their next drummer, and they all seem to be pretty excited about making the next record. And if they do take Mike back, who's to say he doesn't suddenly leave again? Alright, he probably won't, but still, I think there'll be that tension there.

And Mike has always talked about himself like that...well, maybe not quite as much as now, considering the situation

What he has done for sure is given this forum a ridiculous amount of stuff to speculate on, discuss, and over-analyze in the next few years.

NUGGETZ

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #248 on: September 10, 2010, 10:49:03 PM »
Who knows, maybe the guys were also a bit tired of DT becoming more and more a "MP's Dream Theater".

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #249 on: September 10, 2010, 11:22:37 PM »
I could be totally wrong, but I think Portnoy wanted to put DT on hiatus because he wanted to have his cake and eat it, too.  I think he wanted to be, "Mike Portnoy - drummer of Dream Theater" AND be, "Mike Portnoy, drummer of Avenged Sevenfold/ whatever other band he wanted to be in."  However, he's only one person and he knows that.  Being in a band that tours all the time, such as DT, would most likely completely prevent him from touring with Avenged Sevenfold full time.

So, my theory is that Portnoy wanted the best of both worlds..... EXCEPT.... the other guys in DT said, "Uh, I don't think so - we don't care about what Avenged Sevenfold is doing."  I think they caught on to what he was up to and that's why they didn't wait for him.  And, why should they?  This post sums it up:

DO NOT FORGET THIS POST

Eddie is not asking the BIG question to Portnoy, which is:

"Mike, Dream Theater pays for the other guys' mortgages and lives, so how is it fair to those guys to have this hiatus you want, when they depend on DT for their livelihood? Particularly the guys that don't write the songs and depend on touring for their income?"

THAT IS THE QUESTION THAT NEEDS TO BE ASKED.

Portnoy needs to address that.
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #250 on: September 10, 2010, 11:23:40 PM »
Yeah that 500% comment wasn't necessary. I know what he meant but it was a bit much.

So much for the fan's not misinterpreting anything  ::)

Seriously, we all know Mike didn't mean it like that
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #251 on: September 10, 2010, 11:25:35 PM »

So much for the fan's not misinterpreting anything  ::)

Seriously, we all know Mike didn't mean it like that

Mean it like what? That he's bitter that the band decided to go on without him than to wait for however long he wanted to wait for? Cause everything kind of paints that picture.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #252 on: September 10, 2010, 11:26:05 PM »
The 500% comment was just absurd, and made him sound very arrogant and full of himself.  Other than that, I got where he was coming from, as far as wanting a break, but you can't blame the rest of the guys for wanting to go on.  The idea that he can just go back whenever he wants is a little disturbing; if you are a drummer they are thinking of hiring as a replacement, will you be happy knowing you are merely keep his chair warm?  Plus, how can the band really move forward if there is always the possibility that Portnoy will call them up one day and say he wants back in?

Also, I wonder how much Portnoy exaggerates how much stuff he did with DT.  Okay, we know he did a lot, but he makes it sound like he did EVERYTHING, but on his forum yesterday, Petrucci sort of contradicted that by saying that they have a manager who has always taken care of certain aspects.  Meanwhile, Portnoy would have us all believe that he did it all.  I wouldn't be surprised if Petrucci or some of the others aren't a bit tired of him taking credit for every little thing.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #253 on: September 10, 2010, 11:31:27 PM »
I'd laugh so hard if Avenged Sevenfold hired another drummer as the permanent replacement. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #254 on: September 10, 2010, 11:33:01 PM »
I'd laugh so hard if Avenged Sevenfold hired another drummer as the permanent replacement. 
I wouldn't. I'd be happy and satisfied for the band that they have moved another step forward since The Rev's death.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Adami

« Reply #255 on: September 10, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
A7X would be quite foolish to make Portnoy thier permanent drummer. They have way more years left in them than Portnoy does.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline russellmania

« Reply #256 on: September 10, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
As much as i want to be pissed off at Mike over this whole thing and as sad as i am about this, I found him to be very genuine in this interview and I can't help but agree with most of what he's saying regarding the band needing a break.  They have fallen into a pretty stale pattern over the last 4 or 5 years and I can't blame him for wanting to mix things up a bit.  I also can't blame the rest of the guys for wanting to keep going if that's where their hearts are at.

Offline OptionalPlayer

• Comprised of a series of ones and zeros
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:12:19 AM by OptionalPlayer »

Offline AtmosphericV

• wilderness
« Reply #258 on: September 11, 2010, 12:08:47 AM »
I'm listening to Instrumedley right now, and it got me that there are very, very few drummers who can replace him(just thinking about the drumming itself). And of course Mike is a pillar that noone really can replace.

Long time since I've posted here, and it saddens me so much that MP had to go. Listened to the Eddie Trunk show and I understand him...
but he'll come back in late 2012 you guys. You know Dec 21st 2012 is doomsday? Well its not, its the date of Mike returning to DT again, its written in the stars I tell you. :smiley:
Everyone knows its Butters!

Offline Adami

« Reply #259 on: September 11, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
Strictly skill wise, there's lots of drummers who can replace him. However, finding someone who not only has the skill, but also has a distinctive attitude and style that fuses with the band without being a portnoy clone...............that might not be so easy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline AtmosphericV

• wilderness
« Reply #260 on: September 11, 2010, 01:00:00 AM »
Well is there? Drummers as good as MP who are available and are not still 25 years old? I dont think theres plenty of them. Imagine DT going for a tour in nov 2011. Could he pull of the set with songs from all of DTs catalouge?

But of course the other main challenge is; if they find actually one, how will the chemistry be? I expect the next album session to take long.
Everyone knows its Butters!

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #261 on: September 11, 2010, 01:06:04 AM »
Yes, there are plenty of well trained, technically proficient musicians on this planet who are better than Portnoy - again, technically speaking.  For them to find a touring musician simply to cover Portnoy's drum parts wouldn't be that difficult to find.  What WILL be difficult to find is someone who has the personality to write with and to collaborate with on albums.

Performing music - especially music as pre-arranged as DT's - is A LOT different than creating music.  That will be the challenge, to find someone who they can create new music with. 

Offline j

« Reply #262 on: September 11, 2010, 01:11:05 AM »
Good to hear Portnoy discuss everything.  I admit, I never had the impression this was intended to be permanent by anyone, and this confirms that it wasn't.  It may end up being that way, who knows.  But it's clear Portnoy just wanted a break, and to be honest, I don't think that's a bad thing at all.  Kinda surprising that they couldn't come up with a compromise of some kind (maybe a shorter hiatus than Portnoy initially hoped for, or something).  Maybe I'm ignorant, but I don't buy that the guys would be put under severe financial duress simply by taking a year off.

The 500% comment was just absurd, and made him sound very arrogant and full of himself.

This was the only thing he said that kinda bugged me.  Nothing new, of course, just character-revealing.  No doubt Portnoy's always busted his ass and probably always will, and he seems like a great guy.  But he always has to make sure everybody knows it.

-J

Offline Adami

« Reply #263 on: September 11, 2010, 01:13:17 AM »
@J, could you sit around the house and take care of yourself, wife and 2-3 children for a whole year or more? These guys don't have millions rolling in.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline j

« Reply #264 on: September 11, 2010, 01:23:00 AM »
Hell no, I couldn't.  And I know they're not bringing in millions, but I also know that DT are a relatively successful band, and they probably make a very comfortable living.  Not only that, but the guys are all professional musicians...do they not have sources of income outside of DT (endorsements, side projects, etc)?  I honestly don't know anything about this, these may very well be moronic things to say.  For example, are solo albums and stuff not really a viable way to make money (in other words, do successful artists make them as a luxury, having made money in a career with their band and knowing that their solo efforts are just going to cost them)?

I just find it a little hard to believe that it could be impossibly debilitating for them to find other work for a year if they had to, and recharge or whatever.

-J

Offline Adami

« Reply #265 on: September 11, 2010, 01:25:52 AM »
Considering that even hgue bands say that they don't make much money off of record sales, I'd say no. JP, JR, JLB and JM probably won't make much off of record sales or solo tours.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #266 on: September 11, 2010, 01:33:54 AM »
Concerning touring.... a couple of months ago, I read an interview where one of them (I think Petrucci) mentioned that touring is actually more difficult because the economy is taking its toll on attendance (in the states).  So, for Portnoy to even suggest that they take a break is ridiculous.... they probably need to tour more now. 

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #267 on: September 11, 2010, 01:57:30 AM »
thanks for the link to download...listening now!

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #268 on: September 11, 2010, 02:11:51 AM »
Transcript:
https://bit.ly/anB0NP

Matt

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #269 on: September 11, 2010, 03:01:10 AM »
After all the stuff they will have to deal with taking up the slack for all the stuff that MP legitimately does for the band, I find it hard to believe that they will allow MP to just waltz back in whenever he feels like it, especially if the next writing/recording session is a positive experience.  And even more so if the resulting album is successful, and the accompanying tour.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #270 on: September 11, 2010, 03:22:55 AM »
After all the stuff they will have to deal with taking up the slack for all the stuff that MP legitimately does for the band, I find it hard to believe that they will allow MP to just waltz back in whenever he feels like it, especially if the next writing/recording session is a positive experience.  And even more so if the resulting album is successful, and the accompanying tour.

I have to agree here. Granted, there's a lot of history between MP and the rest of the band, but there are many other factors that might prevent an easy reunion in the near future. Of course, it will be the easy way out in many ways, but I just can't get it into my mind that a reunion is pretty much the logical thing in three or four years.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #271 on: September 11, 2010, 03:29:37 AM »
Apart from the 500% comment, I think MP did well in that interview and my respect from him has increased slightly.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: September 11, 2010, 03:33:38 AM »
I feel a little better at ease after that interview.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: September 11, 2010, 03:33:45 AM »
I really hope DT carry on and when he is ready to come back, they say "Sorry Mike, we are doing fine."  IMO Mike has had total control for years and he's slowly bringing the band down.  He makes out that he had to do all the press and all the business stuff cause no one else did, yet the other guys are already stepping up, I think they didn't have a chance cause Mike is just to egotistical.  If you ask me, Mike seems like a bit of a martyr.  I hope the next album is amazing.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 04:09:26 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline muffley_mirkin

• Down the rabbit hole......
« Reply #276 on: September 11, 2010, 05:35:42 AM »
Thanks for the link.......

I think Mike came across well. respect to him for doing it. We all know that he is/was the dominant personality in the band so him wanting to a break will have consequences both positive and negative.

Bands having to record and tour all the time is the way that professional musicians have to make a living now. However after 12+ years of doing that a break is perhaps the option needed so that they can become creative again and continue to make a living.

I'm looking forward to whatever DT or MP do next with possibility that they come back stronger.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #277 on: September 11, 2010, 06:00:10 AM »
I remember towards the end of the CiM tour, MP made a statement that the band was staying out on the road longer than "some members" had agreed to. I asssumed MP was talking about someone else beside him..now I wonder..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #278 on: September 11, 2010, 07:32:29 AM »
Nice interview, we can feel better now. Anyway, it's strange, he was who always wanted more and more about DT, and now is the only ine who is tired. Well, maybe is not that strange.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #279 on: September 11, 2010, 07:43:34 AM »
The interview made me feel great. They're still friends, there's no bad blood - it's just a professional disagreement. They'll take some time apart, and if Mike wants to come back a in the future, I'd be glad. If he doesn't... Well, I wish him well - DT would still kick some ass with another drummer.