Author Topic: Petrucci's Posting  (Read 81206 times)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Petrucci's Posting
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 08:32:10 PM »
I love that man. Best guitar player in the world.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 08:32:41 PM »
He's like the best human being in the world  :millahhhh

Seriously, he's amazing. There's something in his posts that reflects his humble nature.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline LTE

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 08:33:08 PM »
Great post. Petrucci has always been my favorite in the band come to think of it.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2010, 08:37:24 PM »
nice to see Petrucci is going to make an effort to be online more
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2010, 08:38:08 PM »
He's the bestest bear in all the land.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline guysullavin

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2010, 08:38:37 PM »
Great post. Petrucci has always been my favorite in the band come to think of it.
"Now that Portnoy decided to leave, petrucci has been my favorite member all along!"
lol, just kidding. I dont think anyone is allowed to hate Petrucci.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2010, 08:42:42 PM »
Regarding drummers, are you going to try and find a player that you already know personally?

That's not a prerequisite.

John,

Do you know if you guys will write the new album in the studio or write most of it beforehand?

Both
(FAWK YES)

Seeing as DT always bounce back when they have something to prove(Scenes & Images), has this changed got you pumped for the new album?

I'm absolutely pumped for the next album!
I was before the news and still am.
I love DT and love writing and recording new music more than anything.
I love the challenge of trying to top yourself each time.

If Mike chose to return in the future, would the band be okay with it?

I would love to have the chance to play with Mike again.

Did John Myung say something when he found out?

John has a lot to say and contribute
:rollin
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2010, 08:44:36 PM »
JP: Big Bears have never been so dedicated :D

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2010, 08:45:05 PM »
I'm glad he's stepping up to take on some of what Mike did for the fans! I'd love to see the other guys contribute too. Maybe if one person doesn't have to do everything business related this whole mess could have been avoided in the first place.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member

Offline guysullavin

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2010, 08:46:25 PM »

I did laugh really hard at this.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2010, 08:47:34 PM »
He's so classy. I knew he wouldn't disappoint.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2010, 08:48:10 PM »
I love that dude.
Rock on JP!
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2010, 08:48:51 PM »

:lol
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2010, 08:49:11 PM »

:rollin :rollin

Online The Letter M

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2010, 08:50:02 PM »
I'm quite enamored that JMX has become the Black Bolt of the DT universe... should he EVER speak, thousands may go deaf.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2010, 08:50:35 PM »
Reading these posts from JP are super comforting.  It's nice that he's reaching out.  It makes me feel alright about all this.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2010, 08:51:37 PM »
on whether they considered stopping after MP's departure

Not for a micro second.
25 year careers don't grow on trees!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2010, 08:51:59 PM »
Stop asking JP lots of questions dammit!

They're going to scare him away  :sadpanda:
He waded into the thread saying...

"I'm here.
Any questions?"

I don't think he's going to be scared. :p

Quote from: John Petrucci
Quote from: asierraalta7
Cuz I know you're going to read this 
You're the most incredible musician in the whole world, you're so unbelievable tasteful, and you inspire me to do music. My whole life change becuase of DT but especially because of you. The "An evening with.." is by far the most amazing music ever written, I love every second of it. So thank you for all the music you have made

Thank you so much.
We have the best fans in the world and plan on making lots and lots of great music as DT.
Just need a drummer ;)
I think John Petrucci might be the classiest guy of the day. I'm really impressed with how cool he's being.

It's like, everything blew up, everyone started running around like headless turkeys, and then he came in and went "Right. Calm down guys. Thanks so much for sticking with us, this is how it is." Made everything serene, almost. Like a sort of guitar-god version of Morgan Freeman, all freckly with his voice like chocolate.

Honestly? Early days yet (VERY early days yet), but right now, I prefer John as a band spokesman. This, to me, is my personal And the Fandom Rejoiced moment. I was already optimistic, but this is the bit where the fairly horrible news (I loved Mike as a leader!) morphed into "this is definitely an incarnation of the band I can get behind." I feel comfortable in my convictions, now. I'm looking forward to DT11 more than I ever was, I'm looking forward to JP in the hotseat, I'm looking forward to a different studio dynamic and I'm looking forward to a completely different future.

Brilliant as Mike was - and he was brilliant with a capital everything - this is good news. Really excited for the road ahead.

I'm getting all worked up over a few posts on a message board. I must be hysterical. Really psyched, though. This is like when I found out that Steven Moffat was taking over Doctor Who. I was so, so sorry that the last guy was going - Russell T. Davies being the core of the show I fell in love with, and Mike Portnoy being the core of the band I fell in love with - but then you get the rest of the memo! Steven "Silence in the Library" Moffat gets Doctor Who! John Petrucci gets to represent Dream Theater! Even better! A recipe for wonderful things.

Out with the old, in with the new. Comforting's definitely the word. What few worries I had have basically evaporated. I'm psyched.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2010, 08:52:35 PM »
I'm quite enamored that JMX has become the Black Bolt of the DT universe... should he EVER speak, thousands may go deaf.

-Marc.
I'm just glad I got the reference, after being out of comics collecting for over 10 years.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2010, 08:53:42 PM »
Oh god yes. Can't wait to hear the new album!
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2010, 08:54:45 PM »
He says they will continue taking great care in crafting live sets, that is good.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online The Letter M

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2010, 08:55:06 PM »

-Marc.
I'm just glad I got the reference, after being out of comics collecting for over 10 years.
:tup

Also - I am REALLY excited to hear that JP is excited for the new album to begin work. And that JMX will likely have a lot to contribute. JR also seems very excited, and no doubt JLB is gearing up for something new with them... it seems like, no matter what, they were ready to go in and start DT11, with or without MP.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2010, 08:55:25 PM »
Hey John,

How do you think this will effect the writing of future (or at least this upcoming) records? Do you think you guys are still going to enter the studio on a blank slate and go from there?

Our method of writing wont change. It's hard to say.

Hmmm...
I AM A GUY

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2010, 09:00:29 PM »
Stop asking JP lots of questions dammit!

They're going to scare him away  :sadpanda:
He waded into the thread saying...

"I'm here.
Any questions?"

I don't think he's going to be scared. :p

Quote from: asierraalta7
Cuz I know you're going to read this  
You're the most incredible musician in the whole world, you're so unbelievable tasteful, and you inspire me to do music. My whole life change becuase of DT but especially because of you. The "An evening with.." is by far the most amazing music ever written, I love every second of it. So thank you for all the music you have made

Thank you so much.
We have the best fans in the world and plan on making lots and lots of great music as DT.
Just need a drummer ;)
I think John Petrucci might be the classiest guy of the day. I'm really impressed with how cool he's being.

It's like, everything blew up, everyone started running around like headless turkeys, and then he came in and went "Right. Calm down guys. Thanks so much for sticking with us, this is how it is." Made everything serene, almost. Like a sort of guitar-god version of Morgan Freeman, all freckly with his voice like chocolate.

Honestly? Early days yet (VERY early days yet), but right now, I prefer John as a band spokesman. This, to me, is my personal And the Fandom Rejoiced moment. I was already optimistic, but this is the bit where the fairly horrible news (I loved Mike as a leader!) morphed into "this is definitely an incarnation of the band I can get behind." I feel comfortable in my convictions, now. I'm looking forward to DT11 more than I ever was, I'm looking forward to JP in the hotseat, I'm looking forward to a different studio dynamic and I'm looking forward to a completely different future.

Brilliant as Mike was - and he was brilliant with a capital everything - this is good news. Really excited for the road ahead.

I'm getting all worked up over a few posts on a message board. I must be hysterical. Really psyched, though. This is like when I found out that Steven Moffat was taking over Doctor Who. I was so, so sorry that the last guy was going - Russell T. Davies being the core of the show I fell in love with, and Mike Portnoy being the core of the band I fell in love with - but then you get the rest of the memo! Steven "Silence in the Library" Moffat gets Doctor Who! John Petrucci gets to represent Dream Theater! Even better! A recipe for wonderful things.

Out with the old, in with the new. Comforting's definitely the word. What few worries I had have basically evaporated. I'm psyched.

Extremely well put, as usual.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2010, 09:02:10 PM »
i feel like someone should make a master list of JP's questions and answers

just so we all dont post them randomly

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2010, 09:04:24 PM »
I had quite a few posted earlier on this page. I'll try to compile more so that they can be edited into the OP.

Edit: THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT

Hey john are you working on a new solo album??. Do you have an estimated date of release?

Yes, it's mostly written and yet to be recorded. Coming soon details to follow.

:caffeine:
I AM A GUY

Offline guysullavin

« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2010, 09:07:52 PM »
Quote from: aJPfan
What do you think about the thought of releasing an instructional video that explores the depths of music and songwriting, deepens into theory and the idea of tension and release which you so well master, and the creational side of the mind.... other than technique?
I wish Steve Vai would make that video.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2010, 09:08:10 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjanuranus
Hey John i had a few questions. Any answer would be fine and none would be fine. lol. anyway...

I was wondering if the revolving setlists for the shows would remain? I know MP kept track of that stuff and i was wondering if that was going to change.

Now that MP is gone are you guys producing the album yourself or are you thinking about hiring an outside producer?

and What about ytsejam records? Will that continue or go away.

Thanks!

We haven't decided.

No decision on outside producer! It's not ruled out, or he'd have jossed it. It's a possibility!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2010, 09:10:41 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2010, 09:13:21 PM »
Quote from: aJPfan
What do you think about the thought of releasing an instructional video that explores the depths of music and songwriting, deepens into theory and the idea of tension and release which you so well master, and the creational side of the mind.... other than technique?
I wish Steve Vai would make that video.
JP is droll.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2010, 09:18:04 PM »
Here it is guys. I think I got them all.

Do you have anyone as of right now to fill MP's spot as a drummer?

No, not yet. This all went down yesterday.

Wow. So was this out of the blue for you guys too or have you been weighing the options over the past while?

Shocking.
No one ever anticipated Mike leaving.
I love him and personally think it's a mistake but he's his own man.

Did you guys even for a second consider ending the band upon hearing Mike's decision?

Not for a micro second.
25 year careers don't grow on trees!

I'm going to be very greedy and ask if musical differences played a factor in the parting with Mike?

Not at all.

Regarding drummers, are you going to try and find a player that you already know personally?

That's not a prerequisite.

John,

Do you know if you guys will write the new album in the studio or write most of it beforehand?

Both
(FAWK YES)

Seeing as DT always bounce back when they have something to prove(Scenes & Images), has this changed got you pumped for the new album?

I'm absolutely pumped for the next album!
I was before the news and still am.
I love DT and love writing and recording new music more than anything.
I love the challenge of trying to top yourself each time.

If Mike chose to return in the future, would the band be okay with it?

I would love to have the chance to play with Mike again.

:rollin

Hey JP.

Has the band been in serious talks about what comes next, or are you all kinda giving it a moment to sink in before any concrete plans?

Our plans for 2011 haven't changed.

You probably have no idea since it's so early, but how are the setlists gonna work out? MP always made them, and took the time to see what songs hadn't been played in a while in each state.

We will take great care in making the setlists

I feel bad that we're storming you with questions John, but you're handling it well and thanks so much for opening up this Q&A of sorts.

How do you think the band will fill the other roles that Mike played? At least from the fans perspective it appeared Mike did a great deal of the bands management, not just drumming.

God Bless

We have a manager that has always handled the band's affairs. Mike was excellent at promoting the band and making public appearances as well as communicating with our fans. We will have to step it up to match all he did.

Hey John,

How do you think this will effect the writing of future (or at least this upcoming) records? Do you think you guys are still going to enter the studio on a blank slate and go from there?

Our method of writing wont change. It's hard to say.

John,

Don't know if you'd answer this, but are you guys considering an acoustic album, without drums? After seeing Jordan's video today, I think if you all were putting together songs without drums it might create something completely different and pretty cool.

Not at this time
John,

Are you still just as happy with the Mark V's, or do you still like going back to your Mark IIC+'s?

They are all awesome. The Mark V is a monster and I will definitely use it in the studio.
Hey John i had a few questions. Any answer would be fine and none would be fine. lol. anyway...

I was wondering if the revolving setlists for the shows would remain? I know MP kept track of that stuff and i was wondering if that was going to change.

Now that MP is gone are you guys producing the album yourself or are you thinking about hiring an outside producer?

and What about ytsejam records? Will that continue or go away.

Thanks!

We haven't decided.

Last question, I promise. Do you foresee a stylistic change with the forthcoming album? Many fans are speculating that Mike had a large role to play in the recent shift towards a more modern metal sound.

It's not predetermined. It happens organically when we write together. I'd rather not speculate because I've always had a passion for playing heavy music. We'll have to see what happens in the studio.

Without going into too many details, how did the Mike tell you he was finished?

He was a gentleman.

John,

Are you intimidated at all going into writing a new album without mikes creative input?

P. S., thanks for taking the time to do this. A lot of us have been members of your page for ten years, and we've waited patiently to hearing (reading) your words.

No. There is nothing I enjoy more than writing and recording. I'm really looking forward to it.

Hey john are you working on a new solo album??. Do you have an estimated date of release?

Yes, it's mostly written and yet to be recorded. Coming soon details to follow.
I AM A GUY

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2010, 09:24:18 PM »

He was a gentleman.

I love this.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2010, 09:25:30 PM »
JP is really awesome to step up and answer questions like this. :tup

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2010, 09:28:46 PM »

He was a gentleman.

I love this.

This. Very professional.