Author Topic: Last Mike Portnoy Interview before leaving Dream Theater  (Read 3103 times)

Offline John94

Last Mike Portnoy Interview before leaving Dream Theater
« on: September 09, 2010, 03:34:12 PM »
https://vimeo.com/14827294

Posted on Mikes fanpage on facebook - and it will "hopefully put a smile on your face today."

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
Re: Last Mike Portnoy Interview before leaving Dream Theater
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 04:00:13 PM »
I can't get the video to play - can someone summarize it?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 04:27:20 PM »
I kinda smiled but... some of those questions and his answers are so... I don't know. It almost feels like he's a bit doubtful about some things, be it the questions or his answers. It's eerie considering the circumstances now. Had this been posted on Tuesday, it might have had a different reaction but... now? Not the same... :sadpanda:

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 04:31:55 PM »
I kinda smiled but... some of those questions and his answers are so... I don't know. It almost feels like he's a bit doubtful about some things, be it the questions or his answers. It's eerie considering the circumstances now. Had this been posted on Tuesday, it might have had a different reaction but... now? Not the same... :sadpanda:

-Marc.
Exactly this for me.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 04:37:05 PM »
I can't get the video to play - can someone summarize it?
He basically talks about everything that this board has been speculating over the last months: Myung writing lyrics again, himself writing lyrics again (Surprisingly he said he doesn't want to do lyrics anymore and might leave that to Petrucci "in the next album"), what would happen if the next DT album was his last (:sadpanda:). His opinions on Avenged Sevenfold, Transatlantic, working with Neal Morse, LTE (Which he thinks might not be necessary right now unless for a concert reunion or something), his influences, Kevin Moore, working with Kevin Moore, why didn't he like working with Kevin Moore, the music he wants to play, everything.

Damn, why this happened to come out after he left?

Anyway another possibilty would be that... Well... He had several bands for every stuff he liked. For Metal, he had HAIL! and A7X, for Prog, he had Transatlantic, but when it came down with DT, well... He did had something to do with their music, but maybe he didn't know what was DT for him musically speaking. Was it metal-driven? prog?, maybe he didn't know which direction to take it to, and needed a break to think so while continuing with the rest of the bands.

This also strenghtens my opinion about him coming back after a few years.

Offline TL

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 05:27:31 PM »
How recently was this interview conducted? I mean, I'm guessing his decision to leave DT wasn't made overnight, so when he's talking about the future of DT in that interview, it feels a bit disingenuous knowing what we know now.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 08:25:17 PM »
Aaaghh... it was heart-breaking for me to watch that interview. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 08:36:14 PM »
As I watch this interview I feel a bit sad that he quit DT...I mean I'm happy for the new beginning and everything but I love the guy too! :(

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 09:53:17 PM »
Does he need to bash KM again in the OSI segment?  "Stubborn," "uncollaborative," "not fun," etc.  Kevin might be those things, but maybe part of the problem is that MP can also be those things.  MP's reluctance to take Kevin's in-studio suggestions during OSI could be seen as stubborn and uncollaborative, no?  Why is it always other people, not MP?  Idk, I'm just venting.  Hopefully, this is the last anti-KM remarks we hear from MP.  I definitely won't miss that "finger-pointing" part of MP's personality.  His drumming I will miss though.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline LKap13

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 10:39:48 PM »
Anyone know what the music at the beginning of the segment is?

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 10:40:48 PM »
Anyone know what the music at the beginning of the segment is?

It's Transatlantic's Duel With The Devil.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 10:57:42 PM »
This interview actually made me more depressed that he left, because it really showed how much he cared about Dream Theater, and how much he did.