Author Topic: Conversion Therapy  (Read 4230 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Conversion Therapy
« on: September 09, 2010, 03:29:29 PM »
THIS SHIT EXISTS!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_therapy

This world is fucked.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Re: Conversion Therapy
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 05:51:50 PM »
Its nothing new. Disgusting certainly, but nothing new.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:56:28 PM »
You really didn't know this exists? 
ololit'sfunnycauseit'sascam.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 08:08:57 PM »
Ugh, completely disgusting.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 08:14:08 PM »
It works.  Ted Haggard is now 100% heterosexual.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 09:32:05 PM »
 :lol
In all seriousness, rarely does it ever work.  I am a firm believer that the only way any sexual preference, orientation, fetish, paraphilia, etc. cannot be changed without extreme psychotherapy such as electroshock therapy.
www.bedeceived.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 10:00:13 PM »
It's been around forever, but it's pretty stupid.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 03:32:38 AM »
Why is it disgusting? Why the reflex reactions to this? What if somebody was disgusted by the "preferences" after being abused by a sibling as a child? What about people who hate their life because of it and want to have a family but are tortured by urges they don't want?

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 03:46:20 AM »
What about people who hate their life because of it and want to have a family but are tortured by urges they don't want?

I don't believe they truly *hate* their urges.  They just have outside forces influencing their thoughts.  It's quite normal for some people to have homosexual interests (if you don't think its normal that's another discussion).  They are simply feared or humiliated into the false notion that their thoughts are evil, bad, or sinful.  In a more accepting and compassionate atmosphere I doubt they will feel "tortured."  

If there is any therapy to be had, perhaps its the rest of society that needs to learn to come to peace with modern civilization.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 04:28:05 AM »
What about people who hate their life because of it and want to have a family but are tortured by urges they don't want?

I don't believe they truly *hate* their urges.  They just have outside forces influencing their thoughts.  It's quite normal for some people to have homosexual interests (if you don't think its normal that's another discussion).  They are simply feared or humiliated into the false notion that their thoughts are evil, bad, or sinful.  In a more accepting and compassionate atmosphere I doubt they will feel "tortured."  

If there is any therapy to be had, perhaps its the rest of society that needs to learn to come to peace with modern civilization.

This x100.  They shame you into hating yourself and believing there is something wrong with you and you must be 'cured' into being heterosexual.  How is that not disgusting?  Sure, the people want to do it, but I think it would be far more useful considering the rate of success that people go to a therapist to come to terms with their sexuality, not to change it.
www.bedeceived.com

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 04:40:56 AM »

This is saying in effect "I know better than you" to the people who have expressed the wish to be different than they are. Also, if some heterosexual woman wants (or doesn't want) to "experiment" there's a whole sector of white culture who pressure or jeer her on but if anybody wants to go the other way then it's "disgusting". People surely have the right to choose this and puruse a wish to be heterosexual as much as the other way.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 05:09:00 AM »
It works.  Ted Haggard is now 100% heterosexual.

women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 06:13:07 AM »
This is saying in effect "I know better than you" to the people who have expressed the wish to be different than they are. Also, if some heterosexual woman wants (or doesn't want) to "experiment" there's a whole sector of white culture who pressure or jeer her on but if anybody wants to go the other way then it's "disgusting". People surely have the right to choose this and puruse a wish to be heterosexual as much as the other way.

In a perhaps perversely Libertarian way, this is actually a good point.

But then should parents be able to force their children into these kinds of programs? I'm leaning towards no.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 07:54:40 AM »
Andy actually makes a good point. There are plenty of bullshit therapies out there that attempt to cure things that don't exist or can't/don't need to be cured, but people buy into it because they feel a need to have whatever thing they think they have "cured". While it's certainly unfortunate that someone would feel like they need to be "cured" of their sexuality, if they do feel that way then it's certainly their right to waste their money and time on this.

Of course, what Reapsta says is true too. Not only from the parents/children aspect but a religious one, too. Any person in authority pressuring someone into therapy like this is obviously fucked up.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 11:08:45 AM »
In what Lala-land does one need to live to believe that these therapies are sought out by the victims themselves?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 11:11:29 AM »
In the same Lala-land where people believe that getting an enema somehow clears them of toxins and makes them healthier.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 11:23:51 AM »
THIS SHIT EXISTS!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_therapy

This world is fucked.
Are you seriously surprised this exists?  People try to push what they believe onto others all over the world.  If there are people running around saying something is wrong or evil, there's a good chance someone is out there trying to find a way to correct or punish those they're talking about.

In what Lala-land does one need to live to believe that these therapies are sought out by the victims themselves?
:rumborak:
There probably are cases of people that do, especially if they succumb to social pressure easily.  That might not mean as much now, but even 10 years ago that pressure was much worse than we might imagine it is today.  

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 11:33:20 AM »
Andy actually makes a good point. There are plenty of bullshit therapies out there that attempt to cure things that don't exist or can't/don't need to be cured, but people buy into it because they feel a need to have whatever thing they think they have "cured". While it's certainly unfortunate that someone would feel like they need to be "cured" of their sexuality, if they do feel that way then it's certainly their right to waste their money and time on this.

Of course, what Reapsta says is true too. Not only from the parents/children aspect but a religious one, too. Any person in authority pressuring someone into therapy like this is obviously fucked up.

I don't think we're talking about rights. Obviously any gay, lesbian or whoever else is free to do whatever they want about their sexuality. However, I have yet to even hear about a single gay/lesbian/trans/bi person who hated the way they were and wanted to change for any reason OTHER than an indoctrinated morality that tells them to feel bad about it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 04:03:08 AM »
In the same Lala-land where people believe that getting an enema somehow clears them of toxins and makes them healthier.
??? That doesn't work?

BRB, gonna visit my doc.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.