Poll

How will being forced to adapt affect DT's output?

Things will stay the same
17 (8.2%)
They'll change- for the better
156 (75.4%)
They'll change- for the worse
21 (10.1%)
They won't follow through with moving on
13 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 198

Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Departure Poll  (Read 12668 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Mike Portnoy Departure Poll
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2010, 11:33:48 AM »
I'm probably reaching on this one but they probably had nothing set to write about aside from MP's father so they scribbled down some ideas, reluctantly/apathetically agreed and off they went. I mean what other reason would there be for that ridiculous story about a tour of an Italian castle to end up in a song or the utter lack of care or meaning that went behind "A Rite Of Passage"? I got the impression it started on Systematic Chaos which yes was supposed to be kind of a silly album but Petrucci just plain shrugged and smirked when asked about what songs like "Forsaken" meant.

Hm. I listened to Tuscany today, and, honestly, I can't imagine how the lyrics could have been better. As (I think) Hef stated earlier, they're perfect for the music.
I don't think I ever said that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2010, 11:37:16 AM »
I think that things will undoubtedly change...some for the better, some for the worse.  my hope is that mostly the better will win out.  there is still a sense of loss that will affect my perspective no matter what

Offline j

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2010, 11:37:43 AM »
I'm probably reaching on this one but they probably had nothing set to write about aside from MP's father so they scribbled down some ideas, reluctantly/apathetically agreed and off they went. I mean what other reason would there be for that ridiculous story about a tour of an Italian castle to end up in a song or the utter lack of care or meaning that went behind "A Rite Of Passage"? I got the impression it started on Systematic Chaos which yes was supposed to be kind of a silly album but Petrucci just plain shrugged and smirked when asked about what songs like "Forsaken" meant.

Hm. I listened to Tuscany today, and, honestly, I can't imagine how the lyrics could have been better.

I can't either, but it's probably because those are the only lyrics we've *heard* over the music.  I can't think of a single song whose lyrics I dislike where I could say "oh it would have sounded much better if they said THIS instead".  Maybe it's just me.

Anyway TCoT's lyrics aren't good, but they don't bother me much.  They have a certain appeal.

-J

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2010, 12:59:30 PM »
Anyway TCoT's lyrics aren't good, but they don't bother me much.  They have a certain appeal.

I find them so bad it's embarrassing.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2010, 01:15:03 PM »
BTW, I wonder whether MP has frequented this board lately, and if, whether he saw the outcome of this poll. I think that would hit even harder than the "who is DT's next drummer" discussions.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline j

« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2010, 01:27:56 PM »
You're probably right.  Look at the options though.  Obviously things aren't going to be the same, and it's pretty obvious at this point that the band is going to continue without him.  That leaves things changing for the better or for the worse, and I think even the fans who are going to miss Portnoy most are optimistic about where the band is headed, if for no other reason than it's a big change.

-J

Offline robwebster

« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2010, 01:34:06 PM »
Which do we think Mike would've voted for?

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2010, 03:06:05 PM »
I think that things will undoubtedly change...some for the better, some for the worse.  my hope is that mostly the better will win out.  there is still a sense of loss that will affect my perspective no matter what

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2010, 04:49:14 PM »
virgil donati anyone?

Offline theaterofdreams

• Proudly wearing a Space-Dye Vest
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2010, 04:53:32 PM »
I don't buy Mike's reasons for leaving. I don't think he wanted a break from the guys, I think he just wanted to leave, period. If he has problems with the guys, taking a break isn't going to fix, them, just prolong the inevitable. Yes Dream Theater is pretty much either touring or recording all the time, but Mike has been the driving force behind that. I like Mike and I always will, but I don't think he is being honest about why he left.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2010, 06:09:14 PM »
I don't buy Mike's reasons for leaving. I don't think he wanted a break from the guys, I think he just wanted to leave, period. If he has problems with the guys, taking a break isn't going to fix, them, just prolong the inevitable. Yes Dream Theater is pretty much either touring or recording all the time, but Mike has been the driving force behind that. I like Mike and I always will, but I don't think he is being honest about why he left.

No, I think that was mikes reaosn for leaving. If he just wanted to leave for the sake of leaving, he wouldn't be throwing the hissy fit he does when soemone mentions that he left.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2010, 03:11:27 AM »
I voted for the better. To be honest there have been a few times in which I've hope something like this would happen to shake thing up. I'm glad it was MP who left; I didn't like CM, Repentance, SF, TBoT nor did I like any of his growls or vocal parts. I didn't like much of the input regarding vocals (that I have seen), those parts in which James sounded great but not according to Mike.

I still loved his Drumming I just wish he would step back from many other aspects of DT. In a way I'm sorry to see him go but in another I very glad for the change up. Now we may see James let loose or not but we will find out.   

WTF is with people voting for "They won't follow through with moving on".

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2010, 03:56:23 AM »
I don't buy Mike's reasons for leaving. I don't think he wanted a break from the guys, I think he just wanted to leave, period.
Then why did he suggest a break to the rest of them?

If he has problems with the guys, taking a break isn't going to fix, them, just prolong the inevitable.
He doesn't have a problem with them, he felt that things were getting stale.

Yes Dream Theater is pretty much either touring or recording all the time, but Mike has been the driving force behind that.
The evidence would indicate otherwise.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.