Poll

How will being forced to adapt affect DT's output?

Things will stay the same
17 (8.2%)
They'll change- for the better
156 (75.4%)
They'll change- for the worse
21 (10.1%)
They won't follow through with moving on
13 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 198

Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Departure Poll  (Read 12667 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Mike Portnoy Departure Poll
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 10:16:22 AM »
this is a stunning poll??
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 12:49:25 PM »
For the better, but that feels like the wrong option.  I expect they'll be different, which is its own kind of better, but I have no idea which route I would prefer until hearing it, which is impossible.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 01:13:55 PM »

I think it really reflects the criticism towards DT that a lot of people had lately, that they had become stagnant. I think many here are hoping that this shake-up will result in a new direction.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2010, 01:17:34 PM »

I think it really reflects the criticism towards DT that a lot of people had lately, that they had become stagnant. I think many here are hoping that this shake-up will result in a new direction.

rumborak

I guess its the "the grass is greener" thing, but I dont see it that way, I think this will set DT back, too much energy wasted on "spinning this" finding a drummer.. it hasnt worked for other bands so well
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2010, 01:19:16 PM »
Set back how? They're in a position right now where they really much have to try something drastic and new to prove they can survive.

Offline Mat JB

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2010, 06:52:05 PM »
Survival? Lol, we're talking about a band comprised of John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess, John Myung, and James Labrie. Four f***ing fantastic musicians, and, more importantly, artists. The drummer left - no worries, there are plenty of others.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2010, 07:03:50 PM »
There's no option for "They'll change somewhat, but there's no telling what will happen beyond that". So I didn't vote.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2010, 07:05:59 PM »
Personally I think people are overly optimistic about this.

It will be different, yes, but I don't think that the other band members (Petrucci in particular, who was still the main writer) were against going in the direction they went, the direction so many didn't like. There's a good chance this could just be continuing in that direction, except without a key player, making it doubly worse for all of you. But then again I actually like pretty much all of the Dream Theater albums so I was fine with them continuing as the band they were.

As for me personally... I am looking forward to seeing the album they produce after this. Maybe it will make things interesting, give way to some good songs (you know there's going to be something related to / inspired by this in some way). But then again, I'd also be looking forward to the next album if Mike Portnoy was still there. All this really does is add an extra element of risk that the album could be worse for his absence, or that it could end up not being made, which I was already afraid of.

Really I just hope a new album gets made, and I'll never know if it was better or worse than it would have been without Portnoy. So yeah, I didn't vote since it'll be "They will change", but impossible to know whether for better or worse.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2010, 07:10:25 PM »
I'm surprised by how optimistic the results are.

I am not. 

I think a lot of Dream Theater fans realize that the strength of the band has always lay in all of the members, not just one, so one leaving is not the end of the world.  Well, if that one were John Petrucci, then that optimism would probably not be there, as he is probably the only truly irreplaceable guy in the band from a musical standpoint.

This, definitely. I don't think DT would have survived a JP departure.

rumborak

I agree with all of this.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2010, 07:13:20 PM »
I think they will remain the same, music wise, imo.

They may lose a little of the "metal side" which I love, but could gain a more proggy style at the same time. That is a fair trade-off in my book, but I see the music remaining the same with a new style and approach to drums with a new drummer.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2010, 01:35:20 AM »
I voted "They won't follow through with moving on" yesterday, but I'd change that if I voted again after looking at JPs comments on the situation.

Offline Valdor

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2010, 05:28:25 PM »

I am not. 

I think a lot of Dream Theater fans realize that the strength of the band has always lay in all of the members, not just one, so one leaving is not the end of the world.  Well, if that one were John Petrucci, then that optimism would probably not be there, as he is probably the only truly irreplaceable guy in the band from a musical standpoint.

rumborak

Surely one day they'll work out it would be simpler and far more legal just to suckle on each others' teats in a kind of wonderful 69 of eternal calcium goodness.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
Those results really make it look like the poll is flipping the bird.  How uncanny, not to mention insensitive of us.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2010, 06:55:06 PM »
Ugh. I can't pick a response. I wouldn't say that they'd change for the better or worse. I'd say that they'll just change.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2010, 07:01:05 PM »
Ugh. I can't pick a response. I wouldn't say that they'd change for the better or worse. I'd say that they'll just change.
This.

Offline Billybillz

• Sentimentality
  • It's just a change of seasons..
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2010, 07:10:23 PM »
I would like to think that things would change for the better, its gonna take ALOT of getting used to... But its very possible that the music will now revert back to how I remember it. I hope so
The spirit carries on... Its just another change of seasons.. Isnt it?

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2010, 07:25:26 PM »
***WOW*** at these results!
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2010, 07:27:12 PM »
***WOW*** at these results!
Yeah, I think that's what happens after whole 2 days of going through MP's departure and be realistic and optmistic about DT's future.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline M.C

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2010, 07:29:52 PM »
I cant contribute to this poll...
I hope that DT come out with a fuck off bollock blowing album, and everything works for the best.
Im excited for the next album. (i would like to think they'd go back to "Awake" style ;) )

But... it could not work for the best, by JP's reaction i think everything should work out.

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2010, 09:36:46 PM »
I said "for the worse."  There was a trifecta soul... JP, JM, and MP... the three that started it all.  Pulling out a part of that soul will hurt the band in the long run... maybe in the short term we get one good album and then I think it will be all downhill from there unless MP returns...

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »

I am not. 

Well said.

What's wierd is, i'm on this forum everyday and only just realised tonight that Portnoy has left DT! Just goes to show how often I go on this specific forum. (i'm bored of DT, to be completely honest with myself)

I actually saw this coming from Mike. I had a feeling. But i'm not too bothered about it. I've made my opinions known on the current version of DT, as good as they still are.

Infact, i'm quite happy about it. I'm very much interested in what DT can come up with now. I've not had this kind of DT anticipation for years!

Thanks for the memories Mike, and may DT long continue without you.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2010, 11:12:57 PM »

I am not. 

rumborak

space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2010, 11:48:16 PM »
The shape of the poll (middle finger) goes nicely with the winning poll choice.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2010, 12:16:21 AM »
any doubts the new album is gonna be #1 can go out the window. people who love, hate, or casually enjoy DT are going to be interested in what they're doing with a new drummer. i think they will try new things, and show people they can still be awesome, even without their "leader". i love Mike Portnoy, and cant wait to see what he does too, but i think this kind of stuff is what will get the juices flowing in the band. JP, JM, and JLB know how this is, but Rudess has had the luxury of being in DT with a set line-up. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts (musically) on the next album.

i think it'll be better. I dont think they'll drop the metal thing (let's be realistic, even JP recently said he enjoys playing heavy music) but it may be more prog, maybe even more spacey (based on BC&SL). i also think they'll get a serious drummer (maybe a young guy) who probably loves DT and already knows how to play some of their songs, and we'll listen to the new album and be like "oooohhh shiit!"

btw, does anyone think they'll lay off the epics for the new one? maybe that's for the other thread(s)  :lol

Kosmo

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2010, 12:15:56 PM »
I voted for the better, since it was the best of the given options, for me atleast. And if this gives Myung more room to write i welcome that 100%!
The outcome of this is pretty much solved when we get to hear who the new drummer is and hear some samples.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2010, 12:44:32 PM »
For the better, because I feel they've been kinda samey musically. The lyrics will hopefully get an upgrade since that is their weak spot. As much as MP was the "leader" all the things he did for the band wasn't that much musically (other than producing), it was more promotion and catering to the fans and DT fans are spoiled.

Black Clouds and Silver Linings is one of thier best recent albums and the one album to do and evening with... style tour. Yet, they made a really odd decision do a festival style tour and that be it. They could've done a proper tour for the album if MP didn't do all those side-project tours, but that was cool of him to let us hear Transatlantic and LTE again. But with how well the album did and with little touring promotion they did it just seems odd, it feels like BC&SL hasn't been fufilled enough.

So all we can do now is just sit back and  :corn

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2010, 12:45:50 PM »
For the better, because I feel they've been kinda samey musically.

Don't say that around these parts!

As for the lyrics I was way more disappointed with Petrucci than Portnoy. Portnoy did a somewhat adequate job though his word choices for "The Best Of Times" weren't the most original.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2010, 06:35:23 PM »
I'm going to be optimistic here and say option #2.  Let's hope I'm right.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2010, 11:54:20 AM »
My gut feeling tells me they will move towards prog and give the metal direction a rest, if they indeed continue as a band.

Not sure about that, if Jame's new album sound is any indication we could be in for a Nu Metal sound and that would suck IMO. I like some of the drumming on the new album but that's about it from what I have heard.
My hope is Jordan takes on more of a lead writing role and the next album has a Dance on a Volcano vibe.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline j

« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »
For the better, because I feel they've been kinda samey musically.

Don't say that around these parts!

As for the lyrics I was way more disappointed with Petrucci than Portnoy. Portnoy did a somewhat adequate job though his word choices for "The Best Of Times" weren't the most original.

Disagree.  Petrucci's lyrics weren't good, but I found Portnoy's to be....even less good.  The Best of Times was a major disappointment for me.

I can only hope the lyrics will somehow improve, although I'm not sure what could cause the guys to suddenly remember how to write good lyrics.  Come to think of it, I'm not sure what caused them to suddenly *forget*.

-J

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2010, 12:49:17 PM »
I'm probably reaching on this one but they probably had nothing set to write about aside from MP's father so they scribbled down some ideas, reluctantly/apathetically agreed and off they went. I mean what other reason would there be for that ridiculous story about a tour of an Italian castle to end up in a song or the utter lack of care or meaning that went behind "A Rite Of Passage"? I got the impression it started on Systematic Chaos which yes was supposed to be kind of a silly album but Petrucci just plain shrugged and smirked when asked about what songs like "Forsaken" meant.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2010, 05:57:31 AM »
I voted for the better and now as I see the results I think maybe a lot of people were thinking the same thing I was for the last couple years.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2010, 09:14:44 AM »
I'm probably reaching on this one but they probably had nothing set to write about aside from MP's father so they scribbled down some ideas, reluctantly/apathetically agreed and off they went. I mean what other reason would there be for that ridiculous story about a tour of an Italian castle to end up in a song or the utter lack of care or meaning that went behind "A Rite Of Passage"? I got the impression it started on Systematic Chaos which yes was supposed to be kind of a silly album but Petrucci just plain shrugged and smirked when asked about what songs like "Forsaken" meant.

Hm. I listened to Tuscany today, and, honestly, I can't imagine how the lyrics could have been better. As (I think) Hef stated earlier, they're perfect for the music.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2010, 09:35:33 AM »

Hm. I listened to Tuscany today, and, honestly, I can't imagine how the lyrics could have been better. As (I think) Hef stated earlier, they're perfect for the music.

???
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2010, 09:37:14 AM »
Just listen to the song and try to imagine anything else sung over it. Petrucci's lyrics were perfect for the music. It definitely wasn't something that he just did half-assed on a whim.