Poll

How will being forced to adapt affect DT's output?

Things will stay the same
17 (8.2%)
They'll change- for the better
156 (75.4%)
They'll change- for the worse
21 (10.1%)
They won't follow through with moving on
13 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 198

Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Departure Poll  (Read 12670 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
The Mike Portnoy Departure Poll
« on: September 09, 2010, 01:07:06 AM »
So many topics about MP, and not one poll. Oh well. Here's a poll.

How will being forced to adapt creatively affect Dream Theater's sound?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Mike Portnoy Departure Poll
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 01:12:05 AM »
Change for the better. Better meaning different, a creative spark they've needed for the better part of a decade.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 01:13:37 AM »
My gut feeling tells me they will move towards prog and give the metal direction a rest, if they indeed continue as a band.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 01:24:42 AM »
My gut feeling tells me they will move towards prog and give the metal direction a rest, if they indeed continue as a band.

Bolded my fear. I see solo projects and a full break up on the horizon

Offline Cyglade

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 02:03:11 AM »
I have a feeling that the best is yet to come.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 02:50:40 AM »
I personally do not see myself enjoying DT that much in a live setting. Mike Portnoy was a huge part of the live show. I mean, Gavin Harrison can play circles around him, but MP is nonetheless a very impressive powerhouse, with GREAT stage presence. He's definately my favorite drummer to look at. I´m SO glad I saw them live last year during the Progressive Nation tour in Rotterdam (Ahoy). Opeth were excellent, and DT were really, really great. BC&SL was just out, and the moment they kicked off ANTR I was practically in heaven. I'd seen them 5 times before, but this last gig was just through the roof.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 03:25:25 AM »
Hm. I'm pretty shocked at the results of this so far. I'm not sure whether to take it as people genuinely being optimistic about DT's ability to turn things around or not.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 03:30:01 AM »
Yo Mike, I'm real happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but Dream Theater is one of the greatest bands of all time. Of ALL TIME!

Those are essentially my thoughts on it. Not excited at all about DT carrying on without MP, but that could change if they release a good album.

Though I'd rather see JP become a profilic solo guitarist. He and the whole G3 club can come around here every year, so I can have an amazing show to watch. Preferably Satch/Petrucci/Johnson. Hell yes.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 03:43:10 AM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 03:33:27 AM »
They'll change for the better. The metal elements were starting to take over from the prog. Three words that prove that:

EVERYONE SURVIVED!! RRRRROOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR!!!!!

Hopefully they'll move back towards prog, as in the pre-Train of Thought days.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 03:43:52 AM »
There's no option for "They'll change somewhat, but there's no telling what will happen beyond that". So I didn't vote.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 04:13:12 AM »
I voted "for the better."  There will be a large transition as they decide how to distribute all the things that Portnoy took care of, but I think once they get in the studio, things will be exciting.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 04:46:30 AM »
I said for the worse because of the whole divvying up portion of the transition. After everything is split up, then they start writing. Sure, they'll try and get used to it, but it won't be the same. Pretty soon they'll experience, in little ways, all the stress Portnoy was under, and it will surely effect their writing.

Hopefully this will be the wakeup call they needed to see that not giving Mike time to recharge was a mistake. Consequently, Mike will feel a filthy, filthy emotion as he sees a new DT album on stock in Best Buy and know he had nothing to do with it. Hopefully this will be the wakeup call he needed to get his head out of his ass and get back with DT.

IMHO, take it or leave it.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 04:54:01 AM »
I said for the worse because of the whole divvying up portion of the transition. After everything is split up, then they start writing. Sure, they'll try and get used to it, but it won't be the same. Pretty soon they'll experience, in little ways, all the stress Portnoy was under, and it will surely effect their writing.

Hopefully this will be the wakeup call they needed to see that not giving Mike time to recharge was a mistake. Consequently, Mike will feel a filthy, filthy emotion as he sees a new DT album on stock in Best Buy and know he had nothing to do with it. Hopefully this will be the wakeup call he needed to get his head out of his ass and get back with DT.

I think I'm gonna be on the leave it side. Sorry.

A bit of pressure doesn't mean they'll crumble. I mean, okay. A lot of pressure. But it's not gonna be anything like as bad as it was in, say, the pre-SFAM days, back when they used to fight tooth and claw amongst themselves and power their own ideas through. And listen to how well some of those turned out! Images and Words was probably the most tense, didn't have MP as a band leader per se, and that was their most successful album in the long run.

The easy option isn't always the right one. I don't think they have made a mistake.

"I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater..."

That sounds to me like a split that was made for all of The Right Reasons™. On both sides.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 04:57:54 AM »

A bit of pressure doesn't mean they'll crumble. I mean, okay. A lot of pressure. But it's not gonna be anything like as bad as it was in, say, the pre-SFAM days, back when they used to fight tooth and claw amongst themselves and power their own ideas through. And listen to how well some of those turned out! Images and Words was probably the most tense, didn't have MP as a band leader per se, and that was their most successful album in the long run.

The easy option isn't always the right one. I don't think they have made a mistake.

"I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater..."

That sounds to me like a split that was made for all of The Right Reasons™. On both sides.

I can understand that, but did you just reference a Nickelback album on DTF?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 05:03:54 AM »
That's OK.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline guysullavin

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 05:05:34 AM »
Neil Peart.

Rush don't need 'em anymore.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 05:06:21 AM »

I can understand that, but did you just reference a Nickelback album on DTF?

Hahahaha. Not consciously. I take it the Right Reasons is a Nickelback album?

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 05:09:15 AM »
Man, this topic now...well...I'm not sure wht's gonna happen. Who knows? But please, do not mention that they will break up the band soon like i'm reading around here.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 05:27:28 AM »
There's no option for "They'll change somewhat, but there's no telling what will happen beyond that". So I didn't vote.

Exactly
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Amoniz

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 05:33:55 AM »
Honesty, I can't imagine DT without Mike...He was the driving force...
And things will change for the worse I think.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 05:44:56 AM »

Of course, yours is the correct answer. However, the point is to speculate. That's where all the fun is.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 05:47:35 AM »
How will being forced to adapt creatively affect Dream Theater's sound?

None of us will know until we hear new material.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 06:40:55 AM »
Neil Peart.

Rush don't need 'em anymore.

Ya know, I have seen the "This is like Peart leaving Rush" comment made in several places in regards to this, but I think that is ludicrous. 

First off, Rush and Dream Theater are very different bands.  The three members of Rush are like family; all one needs to do is watch their dinner at the lodge on the extras of the new documentary to see this.  There is a camaraderie, a friendship, almost a kinship, that exists between Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart.  That did not exist with all of the members of Dream Theater when Portnoy was a member of the band.  It might have existed between some of them (like JP and Portnoy), but not all of them.  It is just a different dynamic.  As as such, Peart IS irreplaceable in Rush, just like the other two guys are irreplaceable. 

Portnoy is not irreplaceable in Dream Theater.  The fact that they are going on without him shows this.  They have now changed their lead singer, their keyboard player twice, and now their drummer since the release of their first album.  They survived the first three changes, and they will survive this one.  Sure, Portnoy is the biggest loss, simply because of everything he did for the band and because of how much his personality was a part of the band, and it will take some time, but they will survive it. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 06:43:46 AM »

Of course, yours is the correct answer. However, the point is to speculate. That's where all the fun is.
Indeed, but even an option of "They'll change, but not for the better or worse" would have allowed me to vote, because I think things will change, but I don't think we'll see a significant change in quality of output (although obviously we might, but purely from a speculative standpoint, that's what I'd go with). Forcing me to choose between "better" or "worse" is just mean. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mat JB

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 07:26:40 AM »
It's been said, but...

DID THEY EVER SEE THE RED LIGHT?

I predict that good things will come of this artistic renewal.

Offline tumbok

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 07:28:03 AM »
my opinion is on the mainstream, they will changer for the better.

Offline Slain

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 07:42:24 AM »
I hate voting this, but this in a way will make things more interesting for me. I've been casually listening to DT, but not as much as I used to. I've been saying I'd like them to go a new direction, and I doubt they would've with Mike. No disrespect to him at all, but for the better.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 08:01:44 AM »
I'm surprised by how optimistic the results are.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 08:12:10 AM »
I can't see another drummer giving the flavor he gave. There are a gazillion with the chops, but that's it. Though I know the other guys can put out amazing stuff...I still can't get rid of that "it's just not the same" feeling.

I voted for the worse.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 08:44:17 AM »
One thought: It might also mean a return of JM writing, now that all responsibilities are up in the air.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 08:46:21 AM »

I am not. 

I think a lot of Dream Theater fans realize that the strength of the band has always lay in all of the members, not just one, so one leaving is not the end of the world.  Well, if that one were John Petrucci, then that optimism would probably not be there, as he is probably the only truly irreplaceable guy in the band from a musical standpoint.

Offline TL

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 08:47:08 AM »
Trying to find the silver lining; in the past, the band has always released some of their best material when everything was on the line. Hopefully, that trend will continue.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2010, 08:48:32 AM »

I am not. 

I think a lot of Dream Theater fans realize that the strength of the band has always lay in all of the members, not just one, so one leaving is not the end of the world.  Well, if that one were John Petrucci, then that optimism would probably not be there, as he is probably the only truly irreplaceable guy in the band from a musical standpoint.

This, definitely. I don't think DT would have survived a JP departure.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2010, 09:24:23 AM »

I am not. 

Agreed 100%. I don't know whether any new material will be better or worse than their previous output, but as saddened as I am by the news, change is an inherently exciting thing, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 09:38:49 AM »
They'll get someone to drum in the studio for them (sound familiar??) and then tour with someone, but Mike will feel pain when he sees a new DT disc without his name/playing on it. Then he'll want back in.....as he says, DT 'was his baby'