Author Topic: Do not be stunned or saddened...  (Read 3638 times)

Offline ainamotore

Do not be stunned or saddened...
« on: September 08, 2010, 10:33:06 PM »
It's just the music business. Mike is having a bit of a mid-life crisis and of course it is exciting and fresh to be touring with a newer and younger group of bandmates, with all the energy that it imparts. It is similar to the older man who leaves his wife for a younger woman.

I think the entire explanation lies with Mike himself, who characterizes the associations with Transatlantic and AVS as providing more "fun" than Dream Theater.

I think this shows am innate immaturity and lack of character. However, it is not uncommon. It is in all of us to a degree, especially those who are older than 40. While Mike is making a mistake, it is his to make and he should not be condemned. It is after all a free country, and time is all we have. So we must all decide for ourselves how to spend that time.

The one aspect that is troubling is the fact that Mike wanted an extended hiatus but no breakup. But what are the other band members supposed to do while Mike is "recharging"? Go to the beach and wait? These guys have families, mortgages, and kids to feed and send to college. They can't just sit around waiting for the band diva to feel interested again. They can do side projects, but side projects do not further the Dream Theater franchise or make it better. They are just that: "side" projects. The main project has to be Dream Theater, and it will be, but without Mike. It is unfair to put your daily dose of "fun" ahead of the normal business interests that require write/record/tour. Especially for a band with the history and quality of DT. And besides that, what will the cycle be now? Write/record/tour. But with a new group of guys who are not familiar with your warts as well as your qualities. When they learn your warts, and you learn theirs, you will be back to square one, only in your 50's instead of your 40's. And looking for a younger and prettier group of guys with which to continue fostering the illusion that you are NOT getting old? Mistake.

The mistake lies in thinking that anything will really change in exchanging one band for another. The "write/record/tour" cycle that Mike complains about is a fact of music life for all successful bands (and even unsuccessful bands). It is a business necessity that cannot be escaped. If one does not love that cycle, one will never find happiness in the business, with any band.

So Mike will realize this after some time if he is half as smart as he claims to be. When that happens, will the solution be to ditch or be ditched by AVS for the next new thing? Hopefully not, but probably yes. We see this so often in the music industry.

Bottom line of course is that life goes on, DT will go on, and so will Mike. Happiness and success to them all.

Offline robwebster

Re: Do not be stunned or saddened...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 10:38:54 PM »
I agree with bits to a certain extent... but, on the other hand, if you look at his tastes nowadays, they don't exactly align with Dream Theater.

He does fairly frequently say (well, twice, including once in a book and everyfink) that JLB isn't the kind of vocalist he's into any more. I think his taste in music's probably mutated, and that he's maybe grown overly comfortable with DT. Being in new projects keeps him stimulated. Keeps him in brand new environments. And he'd been with the old one for 25 years, and imposed his own restrictions on what the fans might want, at that.

I'm not sure if it's a midlife crisis so much as a gradual mutation. But both are possible.

I think, when it comes to it, Dream Theater were probably too comfortable. Too routine. It's a routine that he'd had for a quarter of a century, I can understand him wanting a new one.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:55:38 PM by robwebster »

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 10:42:43 PM »
Do not be stunned or saddened...

lol

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 10:52:41 PM »
what the fuck is this i don't eve?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 11:33:01 PM »
When did he say that JLB's singing is not his style anymore?

Other than that I agree with most of the things u guys are saying. I think he is tired as hell... I remember looking at his schedule and there was no break at all.  Kinda sad, maybe the other guys could have agreed with Mike to take a little break and we wouldn't have faced a day like this.  But then again, the others weren't or aren't as busy as Mike and they wanna make some new DT music asap.

I feel weird as hell right now but I think we will all be better if they just find a drummer as good as Mike. Sure things arent going to be the same because MP added a lot of character to the band and has done a lot for the fans. But as long as DT keeps making good music, I think we will all be happy.

I dont know why Im getting this weird feeling that MP is going to join A7X as a full time drummer. Because he said that hed never do that and that DT is his "baby"... However after today, I think things can be the total opposite now...

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 05:24:41 AM »
When did he say that JLB's singing is not his style anymore?

I believe he said something like that around the time they were working on 6DOIT, or after it was released. He said they (or MP himself) had tried to approach Chris Cornell to sing on (portions of) 6DOIT.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 05:47:56 AM »
I think you explained very clearly what is going on right now. At first I didn't agree with you on the part about the "band diva" and calling him immature but after reading the post on his forum I see what you mean. Especially the last paragraph.

I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"...

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes....

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 06:04:02 AM »
I completely agree, and it is more or less what i'm tryint to say in the main topic about the Mike's decision. for me this is not rational, it is just a decision that suits his mental state right now, a mistake that he will regret soon. You all will see.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 09:50:39 AM »
I agree ainamotore
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Octavawake

• If you're sleepin', you're not gonna play anything
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 04:42:30 PM »
This can go many ways. MP becomes full-time member of A7X, and DT find a worth replacement. Or he doesn't become a full-time member and DT still get a new drummer.

Anything you can think of, it could happen! We really have to sit back and wait.

Perhaps Kevin Moore's even been secretly learning the Drums the past 15'odd years, purchasing a copy of each new DT release and studying it like crazy!

Who knows?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 04:48:51 PM by Octavawake »
He who gambles his money away is a fool! But he who believes in me will go to spend eternity in space.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 04:50:32 PM »
It is unfair to put your daily dose of "fun" ahead of the normal business interests that require write/record/tour.

This is stupid.  Music is all about expression, and enjoyment.  If a musician isn't happy playing with a band, its time to throw in the towel, which is what he's done and I understand that completely. 

Offline ainamotore

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 05:32:57 PM »
It is unfair to put your daily dose of "fun" ahead of the normal business interests that require write/record/tour.

This is stupid.  Music is all about expression, and enjoyment.  If a musician isn't happy playing with a band, its time to throw in the towel, which is what he's done and I understand that completely. 

Nonsense. Same dance different partners. Only these partners are dancing the Funky Chicken compared with the precision ballet of Dream Theater.

Nothing will change, except that it will NOT be 25 years before Mike leaves this bunch. By the way, Avenged Sevenfold is awful, derivative, repetitive, garbage. Mike left the best prog rock band in the world for THIS???? I've tried to listen to this band, but I'd rather walk on glass. Plus wut's up with the names?

In other news... A7F has announced that the artist formerly known as Mike Portnoy is no longer. He will now be referred to simply as M. Nightfright.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 05:35:10 PM »
Again we don't need a thread for every thought someone has, particular ones that insist that MP is having a mid-lfie crisis. Unless you have something particularly new to start a thread with, please keep it in the stickied thread, thanks.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.