Author Topic: The I Need Therapy Thread v. Lets talk it out.  (Read 7605 times)

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
Re: The I Need Therapy Thread v. Lets talk it out.
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 01:16:22 AM »
Mike said this...

Although I wish I could stay on board with A7X in a more permanent capacity, the reality is that I am committed to Dream Theater as my main priority and I will need to resume work with DT to start a new album at some point in 2011

:sadpanda:
Timestamp? 
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 01:24:04 AM »
At first I felt incredibly sadness, then after reading through a lot of posts and eating breakfast it has sunk down and I've begin to accept that Dream Theater will move on, even without one of its co-founders, that's just how reality is. I've rather feel that it's the best thing they can do, instead of breaking up the band.

This is a sad day for me as a Dream Theater fan, since I first heard them in '03. I think, or rather it feels, like I'm never going to listen to DT in the same way I've have done before, not drastically but you know what I mean. While I still will appriciete the awesomeness of the music it will never feel the same when the biggest DT-fan himself and one of the co-founders of the band has left the band. I accept Mikes decision, you should never have to do something you dont feel comfortable or happy about anymore, then its better to move on and do something you are happy about, but it will never be the same as I've always connected his drumming to Dream Theater. I think its good of the rest of the guys in the band to move on, especially when they never have been more popular then now. The future will be interesting and especially of what comes out of the next CD.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 01:30:54 AM »
When I saw the thread I was shocked, I couldn't believe it. As the message sank in, I felt sadness and was also slightly worried about DT's future. But now, I think that as a band, they will pull through, get a good drummer that fits in and write some good music.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2010, 02:10:15 AM »
When I first heard the news, I was sitting in my basement with my friend Steve (fadetoblackdude7), and we came here to check the news. I felt so depressed. The rest of the night was spent honoring, talking, and ultimately attempting to come to terms with what happened.

It still hasn't hit me yet. I even tried listening to Octavarium, watching Octavarium on Score, and listening to it again here, and I still can't keep from becoming depressed (Despite the fact that Octavarium helped me get over my girlfriend of 2 years, it did not help now).

I have gotten so many ideas and concepts about my art from this band, and I even at one point considered painting a series based on Metropolis Pt. 2. Now, I can't see that happening. I get too depressed about it.

In summation, I guess I'm on the "Let's talk it out" side of this thread.

But still... :'(

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2010, 02:40:34 AM »
I woke up this morning feeling kinda okay but with a LOT of personal and worrying shit going on, and I'm not ashamed to say that hearing this news sent my heart through to the pit of my stomach and made me start crying.

I totally respect Mike's decision to leave Dream Theater as nothing lasts forever (especially in the music business) and I've had 25 years years of them releasing the most incredible music I've ever listened to to enjoy and be grateful for (And trust me, I HAVE been grateful, so grateful), I'm even waiting for an appointment to get the Majesty tattoo I've been thinking about for a year. But I just feel so awful. Dream Theater have been an absolute constant in my life for the past six years, I've listened to their music every single day, marvelled at how no other band can come close to what their music does to me, and Portnoy has always in my mind been the driving force behind the band... he was a massive part of the live experience for me, and I've always come away from a gig thinking holy crap, that guy has the most incredible stage presence for someone sat behind a drum kit. I got into Dream Theater when they were in the current line up and every member has been an important part of the music for me, including LaBrie (who is ropey live these days but awesome on CD). And I feel devastated. I don't know if I'm going to feel the same way about the band moving forward. I can listen to their CDs over and over (and I will!) but I always liked that they were still a band in progress, still releasing new stuff to look forward to, still touring, and now that Portnoy isn't a part of that I just feel a little bit empty.

Overall I will try to remain positive for the band's future and wish them all the best in maintaining their long friendships through this, and hope that they come out of the other end and write some more incredible music for years to come but... I can't see that happening.

RIP the Dream Theater I loved. *goes off and cries to Scenes*
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2010, 02:47:50 AM »
Really the only thing to do is wait and see what fruit gets born from this. Dream Theater aren't the first band to have lost a member (even one as integral to the band as Mike was/is) and I could name plenty of examples that came back just as good or better. Until we have an idea of what direction both Mike and the Band are headed, we have no idea whether this will ultimately be a good or a bad thing.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline the-glass-prison

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2010, 02:53:28 AM »
I have saw this day coming ever since he agreed to help out with A7X (a band that I hate and have absolutely no time for, which is besides the point). He finishes a gruelling tour with Transatlantic & then helps them. MP has burn out, not just DT burn out. I fully understand why the other DT members don't want to take an extended break, they are ready to go again. At this point I feel absolutely stunned. Even though I saw this day coming, it still hurts me like hell to think that I will never see another DT show with MP. His presence on that stage was immense. In my eyes he was DT. Interesting times ahead for DT.  :angry: :sad: >:(

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2010, 02:57:31 AM »
Yeah it's the fact I'll never see him live as part as DT again that gets me the most. I have been lucky enough to see them plenty of times but I was always looking forward to the next.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2010, 03:10:54 AM »
I'm lucky I got to see them once (last year), so that's a positive thing I can think about on a day like this.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2010, 03:53:32 AM »
Even though I don't listen to DT much anymore, now I really regret not seeing them with Maiden when I could. :(

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2010, 03:58:19 AM »
I literally had no emotional reaction when I saw this news. I sort of expected it actually.

But I do greatly respect Portnoy. When I first started drumming, DT was my ultimate band, and I tried to learn every song of theirs. So his work really inspired me in that respect. I think this will be better for both parties.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2010, 04:03:14 AM »
Even though I don't listen to DT much anymore, now I really regret not seeing them with Maiden when I could. :(

I kinda had the same feeling, but it was more disappointment cause I saw him with A7X in Chicago.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2010, 04:06:34 AM »
I feel like if I can handle the drama that's plagued Van Halen for the last 13 years or so, I can handle Mike leaving Dream Theater. After all, we already have 10 albums worth of music. If they never make another album at least we were lucky enough to get what we have.

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2010, 04:09:29 AM »
I feel like if I can handle the drama that's plagued Van Halen for the last 13 years or so, I can handle Mike leaving Dream Theater. After all, we already have 10 albums worth of music. If they never make another album at least we were lucky enough to get what we have.

True, and I guess it's safe to assume you saw VH when DLR rejoined for the reunion tour?

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2010, 04:16:37 AM »
^Actually, I didn't have the money. I guarantee that if it was the complete line up including Michael Anthony I would have found a way to get it. Still, I'll never get tired of their albums.

On a seperate note, All this talk(see assuming) of  DTF closing if the band breaks up seems like an overreaction. I'm sure the Rush forums didn't close when it seemed like they were never getting back together. The VH forums didn't. After DT is long gone I'll still come here because of the people and the music. That's what it's all about IMO.

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2010, 04:21:46 AM »
^Actually, I didn't have the money. I guarantee that if it was the complete line up including Michael Anthony I would have found a way to get it. Still, I'll never get tired of their albums.

On a seperate note, All this talk(see assuming) of  DTF closing if the band breaks up seems like an overreaction. I'm sure the Rush forums didn't close when it seemed like they were never getting back together. The VH forums didn't. After DT is long gone I'll still come here because of the people and the music. That's what it's all about IMO.

I concur. The strong following I've seen here wouldn't just allofasudden break down cause of one break up. People would still gather to discuss DT possibilities nonetheless. As fo VH, hopefully they will tour again. VH is my Dad's favorite band, and when I heard DLR was back, I ran to the ticket lines and got him (and I) tickets as a birthday present (you should've seen the look on my sis' face when I gave them to him...she was sooooooo pissed lol). But yeah, totally worth it. If they tour again, I highly recommend it.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2010, 07:25:05 AM »
After a nights rest, these are my latest thoughts...
 I have read many who have painted the DT mates as the bad guys in this matter. I do not agree! Mike should be able to do 17 different projects and make number 1 albums, and play on a major tour while his band mates sitting around for an undisclosed amount of time with there thumbs up there asses waiting for Mike's break to end? When he is actually not on a break but working his ass off?
His band mates feed there family's by touring every year. Dream Theater isn't Rush, a band who can take off large chunks of time with no real financial repercussions.
Its totally unfair to put this on the other guys. They want to make money in 2011, just like Mike will be doing without them if there on the break he wanted.
I love Mike, and he owes us nothing after all these years, but lets be fair, he wants to have his cake and eat it to.
I will say he sounded a bit like a bitch in what he wrote when he says that all he wanted was a break, and his dad named the band. Whoop dee do da day.
If your going to write that you have had more fun in every side project the past year then you have had in Dream Theater for years, then I guess its time to move on.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2010, 07:29:39 AM »
I saw Dream Theater on the Octavarium, Systematic and Prog Nation tours and he was awesome every time. He always wore a Djurgården T-shirt, a local ice hockey team. And I HATE Djurgården. :lol He always seemed to feed of the crowd energy. I'll never forget how the sounds went completely out for everyone during Dance of Eternity, and how he kept it going with an amazing drum solo until the sounds came back.

I'm glad I got to see Mike as many times as I did. He's an amazing performer and he will be missed. In my opinion, the only real entertainer in the band. The only one who cares as much about entertaining the crowd as he is to playing awesome.

:sadpanda:
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2010, 07:31:33 AM »
Well said, tick.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2010, 03:18:28 PM »
As much as this news hit me this morning I'm totally okay with it right now, hopfully the positive things from this will overweight the negative but there's still one very big negative thing for which I still feel a bit sad and that's the future lack of MP at live concerts... I'm really happy that I saw them all 5 together at least once in Budapest last year... it was awesome concert