Author Topic: The I Need Therapy Thread v. Lets talk it out.  (Read 7606 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
The I Need Therapy Thread v. Lets talk it out.
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:13:41 PM »
I am angry and sad. I fully understand Mike does not owe DT fans anything after all these years, but man does leave be beside myself right now. It bothers me more because he will no doubt become A7X's full time drummer, and I hate that fucking band! So unless Mike does something I like in the future I won't be following his work with A7X.
What an awful night this is. I need a hug. :sad:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: The I Need Therapy Thread v. Lets talk it out.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 09:15:23 PM »
*hugs*

*kisses*

*grop...

Wait. What?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 09:15:28 PM »
I'm actually fairly apathetic despite being initially shocked. I can only see good things coming out of this.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 09:17:29 PM »
I just looked at my DT discography, and I honestly wanted to throw it in the garbage.

Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:17:40 PM »
While I can kinda excited to see a new musical direction and stuff I don't really know what will happen with the fans connection. Man this is sad.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 09:18:35 PM »
I just looked at my DT discography, and I honestly wanted to throw it in the garbage.

Oh come on.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 09:19:12 PM »

Oh come on.

:lol
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 09:19:16 PM »
I am getting over it. I'm convinced it was not a prank or hack, which was my initial theory for the past hours. I won't be able to listen to any DT album for couple of days, the mood is just totally broken, i don't know. I think the best we can do now is to wait, talk to each other, and hope that the new album will be a complete change of directions, a new AWESOME direction. We must be positive and support Petrucci, Jordan, James and Myung. I know they can do a very nice job together, we all know that.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 09:19:42 PM »

wat
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 09:21:19 PM »
....I don't really know what will happen with the fans connection. Man this is sad.
It will get stronger, IMO. I was never so active in the forum like I was today.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 09:21:54 PM »
I'm with orc.  Yes I'm upset, and it will take awhile for me to stop thinking about it.  Part of me want's to see what DT's style will be now the Mike has left.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 09:22:26 PM »
I was saying that because I feel I won't be able to listen to them for a couple of weeks. Maybe it was a little too exagerated :lol
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 09:23:13 PM »

WUT, i looked at my DT collection and wanted to play them more than ever.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 09:23:33 PM »
I was saying that because I feel I won't be able to listen to them for a couple of weeks. Maybe it was a little too exageated :lol

Perfectly understandable. On the flipside I think tomorrow I should actually do my discography runthrough.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 09:27:14 PM »
I've been crying uncontrollably ever since I heard the news guys I don't think I'm going to be o.k.

loljk I have a penis

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 09:27:46 PM »
I saw this coming, and don't really care, though I feel bad for those of you guys that are disappointed (that do not include the ridiculous ex-fanboys screaming "OMFG A7X SUCKS WHY WOULD YOU BETRAY US PORTNOY!"). As I said in another thread, if Mike Portnoy has lost the passion for Dream Theater and is enjoying himself in Avenged Sevenfold, I don't understand why he shouldn't stay with them.

I've been crying uncontrollably ever since I heard the news guys I don't think I'm going to be o.k.

loljk I have a penis

:heart

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 09:28:36 PM »
I'm not saying good can't come of this. I'm interested in seeing what Petrucci can do with the band under his control.

But we're seriously underestimating how important MP was to the band purely as a drummer. Maybe I just personally enjoy his drumming more than is personally healthy, but I'm really worried that the drums will just simply be less good.

Also, why is everyone hoping that now DT will become more prog/fusion/whatever oriented? Petrucci wrote the main riff for ANTR for godssakes, it's not like it's gonna happen. The metal is going no where. And while I do prefer the more prog-metal type stuff on the whole (TCOT for example), I'd really hate to see DT become a less heavy band. These are the guys that wrote Lie and The Glass Prison. I don't want that to go away.

Also, I really question the ability of a less metal oriented drummer to (a) technically handle and (b) artistically feel Portnoy's parts.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 09:33:10 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 09:38:39 PM »
YOU ARE TEARING ME APART MP!

Edit-Well this sounds kinda homosex
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 09:39:41 PM »
I'll go to bed. Can't wait to wake up at 7 tomoz and check the forum as well as Twitter. Things are happening so fast...

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 09:40:15 PM »
I have a bottle of fine whiskey I haven't opened in years.  It's been opened several times tonight.

It still hasn't fully hit home, and probably won't until we hear from the other band members.  In the mean time I think Dream Theater is the last thing I want to listen to right now.  Don't need salt in these fresh still bleeding wounds.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 09:41:38 PM »
 In the mean time I think Dream Theater is the last thing I want to listen to right now.  Don't need salt in these fresh still bleeding wounds.
I don,t want to listen to anything with MP on drums.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 09:42:56 PM »
I'm listening to their discography straight through... what is wrong with you guys?
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 09:45:36 PM »
It's like when you break up with your girlfriend. You don't want to see pictures of the two of you when you were together and happy, because you know it's never gonna be the same.

That's exactly how I feel. Time is what I need.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 09:45:54 PM »
You know, you guys can piss me off a lot, and I am left quite angry at several of you, but its times like these we become like a big DTF family.
This just feels like a wake. Like a loved one has died, and this whole extended family called "DTF" comes together and mourns.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 09:47:14 PM »
I tried listening to TCOT. It felt like a weird blur. Couldn't do it.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 09:53:39 PM »
I'm pretty much in utter shock.  I could have never seen this coming.  It's like someone in your family dying or something unexpectedly.  Seriously.  This is just so out of nowhere.  I would have never thought that Mike would ever leave the band.  damn.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 10:01:32 PM »
I tried going through The Spirit Carries On...I'm seriously crying.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 10:06:15 PM »
I think that we all realize now how we loved DT, even if some of you weren't into them anymore. At least for me, it makes me realize that this band did a lot for me and seeing one of the pillar leaving the band is truly heartbreaking.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 10:18:26 PM »
This is still very surreal for me. Listening to their music right now...it just feels like the band is virtually 'retired'. It's like I'm listening to Queen...you know? An essential/founding member is gone. When I listen to the songs now I know I'll never see the same band that wrote that classic song I'm listening to.

I dunno. Maybe I'll feel different in the morning.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 10:24:28 PM »
It's like when you break up with your girlfriend. You don't want to see pictures of the two of you when you were together and happy, because you know it's never gonna be the same.

That's exactly how I feel. Time is what I need.

This.  Dream Theater has been my favorite band for 12 years.  I would never consider getting a tattoo, except for a DT one if I ever found a tattoo artist I completely trusted to do a good job.  I've invested THOUSANDS of dollars and THOUSANDS of hours (no, that's not an exageration) in them, and now I don't know whats going to happen.  It's very unsettling and I just don't think I have it in me right now to listen, and unless something changes by the end of the week, this might be the first time since 2001 I've gone an entire week without listening to Images and Words.  As I posted on my facebook, this is the worst day of my life since my friend died of leukemia in 2004, so yes this day is worse than the shootings for me.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 10:24:42 PM »
Holy shit there are a lot of people in this forum right now.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 10:26:05 PM »
Mike said this...

Although I wish I could stay on board with A7X in a more permanent capacity, the reality is that I am committed to Dream Theater as my main priority and I will need to resume work with DT to start a new album at some point in 2011

:sadpanda: