Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509770 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #2240 on: October 10, 2010, 09:06:38 AM »
Well, Eddie and Portnoy are good friends, so I it was a given that Eddie wasn't going to ask any really hard questions.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2241 on: October 10, 2010, 09:41:29 AM »
Well, Eddie and Portnoy are good friends, so I it was a given that Eddie wasn't going to ask any really hard questions.
I agree, but that doesn't mean that Mikes answers had to indicate he would like to possibly return someday. He made it seem that the fact the band wanted to move forward in there careers in 2011, he sadly had no choice but to quit. Now his anger at the fact they are excited for the future is mind boggling. Does he really expect them to wear Black and mourn for the appropriate time period?
He needs to remind himself everyday that he quit. He was not fired. Those guys did nothing wrong.
I said it before, if I was in his shoes and did the work he has done I might expect my request to be granted, but it wouldn't make me right.

When I quit my band, I think the remaining members were sad they lost a hell of a front man who thrived on entertaining the audience as well as being a good vocalist, but I also think they were a bit relieved that there world didn't revolve around me anymore. I was demanding and I wanted things my way. Admittedly I was wrong. I think they knew my replacement wasn't as good as I was, but I think they loved the fact they were now the ones calling all the shots. I also became a friend of the guy who replaced me and always showed him my support.
There were no hard feelings in the end, and I still love the guys I spent 6 years playing with.
Not that you guys give a shit about my story, but I just wanted to share.
I guess what I'm saying is I can relate to this whole saga on some level. I have since apologized for being so difficult at times.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2242 on: October 10, 2010, 03:25:50 PM »

Not that you guys give a shit about my story,

Nah tick, that was a nice story! :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2243 on: October 10, 2010, 04:07:48 PM »

Do you REALLY have to say that dude? I mean, look at Zook, he posts some random stories and the majority of people on here probably don't read them because well... he's Zook, but he doesn't care. This is a fuckin internet forum, people post pointless shit all the time. Get over it if no one reads what you said every once in awhile. Shit, I don't even know if you're going to read this. I meant all of this in a very positive way, my friend. Although I don't always agree with some of the things you say, I have read many of your posts.

ANYWAY,

I'm actually REALLY excited to hear what will come of this now, especially with Myung learning how to speak again.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2244 on: October 10, 2010, 04:13:44 PM »
Now wait a minute, man.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2245 on: October 10, 2010, 04:33:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's how it is.

Don't worry Zook, I read and enjoy your posts. :tup

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2246 on: October 10, 2010, 04:47:49 PM »
Only because you have to :neverusethis:

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2247 on: October 10, 2010, 04:50:16 PM »

Do you REALLY have to say that dude? I mean, look at Zook, he posts some random stories and the majority of people on here probably don't read them because well... he's Zook, but he doesn't care. This is a fuckin internet forum, people post pointless shit all the time. Get over it if no one reads what you said every once in awhile. Shit, I don't even know if you're going to read this. I meant all of this in a very positive way, my friend. Although I don't always agree with some of the things you say, I have read many of your posts.

ANYWAY,

I'm actually REALLY excited to hear what will come of this now, especially with Myung learning how to speak again.
Well, I guess I just feel like people will think I'm full of my self when I post a story about myself pertaining to the Dream Theater situation, but I was just telling a life experience that helps me relate personally to the current DT saga. :tup
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2248 on: October 10, 2010, 08:13:07 PM »
Actually, tick, it helps us to know where you're coming from, especially since your situation was very similar.  I post possibly-boring personal shit all the time.  People can skip it if they want, or read it.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2249 on: October 11, 2010, 12:19:41 AM »

ANYWAY,

Yeah c'mon guys, I think Zook is a cool guy.  Eh kills aliens and dosen't afraid of anything.

Wat.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #2250 on: October 11, 2010, 12:28:09 AM »
That was a very interesting story, tick, and it brings a possible perspective on how it could have been with MP because the situation was similar in some kind of way.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2251 on: October 11, 2010, 12:36:07 AM »
I know he's a cool guy, he's my brother, one of my best friends and one of my heroes.

:2metal: Zook :2metal:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2252 on: October 11, 2010, 03:18:22 AM »
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :biggrin:

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2253 on: October 11, 2010, 09:47:06 AM »
"Former Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy has announced that he will continue touring with Avenged Sevenfold throughout next year.

While initial plans were for Portnoy to tour with the band until the end of 2010. However, the drummer confirmed in a recent interview with Sabian Cymbals that he will continue with the band after the Rock Star Uproar Tour and complete the full touring cycle."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mike_portnoy_to_stay_with_avenged_sevenfold_in_2011.html
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2254 on: October 11, 2010, 09:57:31 AM »
"Former Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy has announced that he will continue touring with Avenged Sevenfold throughout next year.

While initial plans were for Portnoy to tour with the band until the end of 2010. However, the drummer confirmed in a recent interview with Sabian Cymbals that he will continue with the band after the Rock Star Uproar Tour and complete the full touring cycle."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mike_portnoy_to_stay_with_avenged_sevenfold_in_2011.html

Oh here we go...

I mean, at least he's going to be doing SOMETHING. Although I'd rather see him record/tour with Neal Morse (either solo or with Transatlantic), or at least do something else. Any idea how much longer the "full touring cycle' will be? I suppose this kicks any fans' hopes that he'll "realize his mistake" and rejoin them in January.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2255 on: October 11, 2010, 09:58:13 AM »
Glad to see he'll be keeping busy. Good for him.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2256 on: October 11, 2010, 10:04:29 AM »

Me too, except this kind of conflicts with his original intentions of wanting to take a break and recharge, but perhaps his need to stay busy has allowed him to continue touring with A7X into next year.

He also seems to reaffirm his musical and personal connections with the members of A7X a couple of times. Good for him. I think that's very important and I wonder if it'll eventually lead them, and him, to record another album together.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2257 on: October 11, 2010, 10:16:59 AM »
I think some people aren't realizing what MP meant by a break. He meant he needed a break from DT not from touring per se . MP has said that whenever he played with Hail or TA or A7X there was a different vibe and it was a lot of fun compared to being with the guys from DT.

Him wanting to take a break wasnt about being exhausted physically it was about him not being able to fully commit to the band on a mental level. I guess he's alluded to the fact that he's had no emotional connection to making new DT music of late.

So taking a break from DT was to recharge his love and passion for DT on all levels. The other guys in the band disagreed and they didn't echo his sentiments or feelings and decided to move on. I think maybe MP felt hurt that they didn't feel the same way as him.

These are how I see things went down in the DT camp. I don't harbor any ill will towards MP for taking a break or the other guys for wanting to continue without him even though it feels strange.

In the end I think all of them went ahead with what their heart told them to. Regardless of who they may have/have not disappointed.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2258 on: October 11, 2010, 10:23:37 AM »
Right, he wanted a break from Dream Theater. Is it me, or does it seem more and more like they needed a break from him?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2259 on: October 11, 2010, 10:25:10 AM »
The feeling was probably mutual.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2260 on: October 11, 2010, 10:27:13 AM »
The feeling was probably mutual.
Absolutely.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2261 on: October 11, 2010, 10:29:09 AM »
Really hard to tell, at least for me. Many things don't come out public and what we are seeing in the public may just be a piece of the whole situation. So I guess it's hard to gauge who was tired of who.

James said in his usedbin interview that he never saw the signs of MP's lack of interest that MP said started more than a year ago. To James it was a shock when MP told the band of how he's been feeling.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2262 on: October 11, 2010, 10:55:31 AM »

Surprised this does not make me
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2263 on: October 11, 2010, 11:26:04 AM »
I think some people aren't realizing what MP meant by a break. He meant he needed a break from DT not from touring per se . MP has said that whenever he played with Hail or TA or A7X there was a different vibe and it was a lot of fun compared to being with the guys from DT.

Him wanting to take a break wasnt about being exhausted physically it was about him not being able to fully commit to the band on a mental level. I guess he's alluded to the fact that he's had no emotional connection to making new DT music of late.

(more good stuff)

The thing is, if he wasn't thrilled by how things were with DT lately, he was the one most in the position to change it.  Start off writing sessions by jamming for a while, reconnecting with each other musically as well as personally?  No! We now write songs and then go into the studio.  Shake things up a little bit in terms of writing?  Maybe bring in JLB earlier in the process?  Maybe get JM's input?  No! This is how the writing works now.

But I'm soooo tired of this and need a break!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2264 on: October 11, 2010, 11:35:22 AM »

Me too, except this kind of conflicts with his original intentions of wanting to take a break and recharge, but perhaps his need to stay busy has allowed him to continue touring with A7X into next year.

He also seems to reaffirm his musical and personal connections with the members of A7X a couple of times. Good for him. I think that's very important and I wonder if it'll eventually lead them, and him, to record another album together.

-Marc.

It's hard to judge this decision as conflicting with his statements. Had the DT break actually happened would he have agreed to continue on with A7X? We'll never know. I think its anything he does now can't be compared against statements he made previously. It's a totally different situation he is in now.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2265 on: October 11, 2010, 11:51:08 AM »

The thing is, if he wasn't thrilled by how things were with DT lately, he was the one most in the position to change it.  Start off writing sessions by jamming for a while, reconnecting with each other musically as well as personally?  No! We now write songs and then go into the studio.  Shake things up a little bit in terms of writing?  Maybe bring in JLB earlier in the process?  Maybe get JM's input?  No! This is how the writing works now.

But I'm soooo tired of this and need a break!

I hear what you're saying and understand what you're getting at. But really there is no right or wrong way this should or could have been handled. And who knows what the exact details of what went on, what they wanted to do to, how they wanted to shake things up so they don't feel stale or out of ideas.

You're saying that "if he wasn't thrilled by how things were with DT lately, he was the one most in the position to change it." By the looks of it James & JP have stated that they didn't feel the same way. They wanted to write again and felt they weren't in a slump and were excited to get into the studio to record another album.

Whether MP was right or wrong at this point frankly I don't care and I've moved on from it now. 

MP has said it wasn't a rash decision and this was on his mind even before he joined A7X. We'll just have to wait and see how things unfold.

Offline John94

« Reply #2266 on: October 11, 2010, 12:02:51 PM »
The announcement that he will play 2011 just confirmed what we already knew.

Just waitin' for DT to announce the new drummer then A7X can make their statement saying MP is permanent.

Nostradamus effect here.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2267 on: October 11, 2010, 12:08:54 PM »
You're saying that "if he wasn't thrilled by how things were with DT lately, he was the one most in the position to change it." By the looks of it James & JP have stated that they didn't feel the same way. They wanted to write again and felt they weren't in a slump and were excited to get into the studio to record another album.

We don't and never will know exactly how the dynamics worked in Dream Theater up until Mike's departure, but the general public perception is that Mike had a large say in how things were, and therefore could have worked to move things in a different direction if he didn't like it.

For all we know, JP and JR have been slowly taking control of things, moving them in a direction that Mike wasn't happy with, and Mike has been saying "We now do it this way" because "we" applies to the whole band and Mike was just the one doing the talking.  Mike did express some discontent months ago, before this all blew up.  There could have been tension building up within the band for a long time, with Mike just putting a happy face on things.  Until now.

Actually, wow, that doesn't sound as ridiculous as I first thought.

Offline John94

« Reply #2268 on: October 11, 2010, 12:11:57 PM »
"Waging a war inside my head"

That quote seemed ideal for the above.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2269 on: October 11, 2010, 03:29:02 PM »
Just waitin' for DT to announce the new drummer then A7X can make their statement saying MP is permanent.

I still don't see that happening.  He and A7X may be buddies now, but I dunno, I can't see A7X running with MP forever. 

Offline John94

« Reply #2270 on: October 11, 2010, 03:34:53 PM »
The age gap may catch up to them, but I honestly can't see anyone else joining them. They will only keep going with Mike. That's my opinion anyway.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2271 on: October 11, 2010, 03:43:34 PM »
The age gap may catch up to them, but I honestly can't see anyone else joining them. They will only keep going with Mike. That's my opinion anyway.

Yea, despite how young portnoy acts, the age thing will make itself known.

"Hey what are you guys doing this weekend?"
"Whores, booze, pills, parties, the usual, you?"
"....taking my children to the zoo.....then remodelling the kitchen with my wife, we got a knew crock pot, it's amazing"
"................pot?"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2272 on: October 11, 2010, 03:45:41 PM »
I can't seem them keeping Mike for longer than the ending of the tour, and I don't think Mike would want that anyway.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2273 on: October 11, 2010, 03:45:54 PM »
I can't even imagine what will happen when Portnoy starts having kidney stones and hip replacements
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2274 on: October 11, 2010, 03:49:09 PM »
I can't even imagine what will happen when Portnoy starts having kidney stones and hip replacements

Well I think we're still a few decades away from that. I'd worry more about JR.
fanticide.bandcamp.com