Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509799 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #2170 on: October 07, 2010, 04:39:55 PM »
"Mike Portnoy: Goodbye Cruel World....."

...Wait what?
Being discussed here already: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=17334.msg621461#msg621461
Um, but isn't that thread supposed to be in this thread? :p
But... but...

*brainsplode*

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2171 on: October 07, 2010, 05:53:30 PM »
It's a thread that's inside a thread. Soon there will be another thread coming from that thread.

And then: Inception 2: Portnoy's Complaint

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2172 on: October 07, 2010, 06:29:26 PM »
So nothing new except we've got a lot of people wondering here at DTF?

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #2173 on: October 07, 2010, 06:41:10 PM »
This is all just totally boring now.

It's like some kind of high school banter between ex-best friends. How old is Mike, 12?

He needs to go away for a bit. Look how classy the DT guys are being by not responding to any of this. They've just completely had enough of Mike, and as i've said before - it's probably been a long time coming all of this.

In any case, i'm done with the Mike Portnoy show. I couldn't care less about what's going on right now. All I care about is the future of DT - and what the band has up their sleeve for the next album.

The fans need to get over it as well. Leave the guy be.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #2174 on: October 07, 2010, 06:46:21 PM »
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2175 on: October 07, 2010, 07:06:16 PM »
Great posts, Sam and SnakeEyes  :tup

Hey lad,

Sorry that I copied it. I didn't know how to quote it, so that it why I copied and paste it. Hope you're not too upset with it...otherwise...have a beer, I owe you one!  :chill
I will put your name above the text  ;)

Hehe, don't worry, I'm just kidding. I'm more flattered that someone would plagiarize my opinion, since I have a certain reputation of failing around here. But not everyone would be so happy about it.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2176 on: October 07, 2010, 07:10:36 PM »
Wait for it.....

Wait for it.....

LOLMikeProtnoy :neverusethis:

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2177 on: October 07, 2010, 08:08:23 PM »
I'm sorry, but you guys a fucking heartless. Since he left the band, whenever he posts on his forum, tweets something or update his facebook status he's getting crap. Every time I read the same thing ''He's playing the victim but he's the bad guy in this'' ''He's fucking childish'' ''He's immature''. I keep seeing people posting that they lost respect for him.

Come on. Everytime he posts something thousands of people are interpreting his words like crap. Give him a break, he's a human after all. You think it's easy to let things being discussed on internet about how you're an asshole in this story? I bet everyone would try to explain himself, and everytime he does it you're giving him crap.

I just saw the picture of him at the Roger Waters show and he seems damn happy. He went to see one the best concert of his life and we he gets home, he reads this ridiculous 'open letter' and all the crap that's going on on his forum. Just because the guy did what he thought was best for him. Fucking ridiculous.

I think we can turn the page now.

Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2178 on: October 07, 2010, 08:14:28 PM »
Nic, the whole point is he needs to STOP POSTING this crap. HE needs to turn the page, not the fans.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2179 on: October 07, 2010, 08:16:30 PM »
I'm sorry, but if the fans would have been respectul, all this would've been avoided.

He started to tweet A7X stuff and he got bullshit. That's what started it.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2180 on: October 07, 2010, 08:18:45 PM »
I'm sorry, but if the fans would have been respectul, all this would've been avoided.
Man, we're talking about fans

It's kind of obvious they're gonna bitch and make a riot...This wouldn't have happened if MP paid less attention to the internet, I'd say.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2181 on: October 07, 2010, 08:21:31 PM »
We all know that MP is an internet guy and reads a lot of fan's opinion. He even wrote a song about it. The fans should've known he would read everything. He just tried to defend himself, but it was 'childish' according to the fans.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2182 on: October 07, 2010, 08:23:08 PM »

He started to tweet A7X stuff and he got bullshit. That's what started it.

And he just simply could not let it go, that fans will be fans. Nevermind that he's talked this way about his idols before.

Expecting a grown man to have some common sense and maturity to not bitch about his daily problems on the internet is normal.

Expecting an entire online fanbase to "JUST GIVE THE MAN A BREAK ALREADY" while he continues to hormonally tweet about how sad he is-- i just don't see how that's a reasonably expectation.

Not trying to be inflammatory, just calling it like I see it. Mike brought this ALL on himself. The only thing he can do is ignore the internet now, or keep to posting positive things while ignoring the trolls.

We all know that MP is an internet guy and reads a lot of fan's opinion. He even wrote a song about it. The fans should've known he would read everything. He just tried to defend himself, but it was 'childish' according to the fans.

Of course the fans "knew" he'd read it. THEY WANTED HIM TO READ IT. lol. He lashed out at James, which was childish, and then when EVERYONE called him out on it he said he "didn't know what he had to be sorry about," which was also childish. I don't get why we should blame "the fans," because the fans are a force that can't and shouldn't be controlled. Mike only has himself to blame. Things will NOT improve for him until he realizes that his constant jumping into fan arguments makes them much, much worse.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2183 on: October 07, 2010, 08:23:38 PM »
Well, it was. A 45+ years artist being hurt by people on the internet? Maybe MP's always been like this, but being this way was ultimately going to lead him down to this. Sooner or later, he would have felt overwhelmed by the bad responses and attitudes (hell, it's rock & roll baby!). This is life teaching him a lesson, I concur.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2184 on: October 07, 2010, 08:29:54 PM »
Nic, the whole point is he needs to STOP POSTING this crap. HE needs to turn the page, not the fans.
I have to say, I totally agree. It kills me to me in the negative camp as far as Mikes actions go, but I can't help it, its making me cringe.
I will continue to be a Mike fan but this is the weirdest thing right now.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #2185 on: October 07, 2010, 08:32:59 PM »
"Mike Portnoy: Goodbye Cruel World....."

...Wait what?
Being discussed here already: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=17334.msg621461#msg621461
Um, but isn't that thread supposed to be in this thread? :p

I smell a plot to a new M Night Shyamalan movie!!

Thank you for providing my lol of the day
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2186 on: October 07, 2010, 08:37:34 PM »
I agree that his comment on JLB's interview crossed the line, but he was given crap since he left the band.

Anyways, I don't want to  get into a big debate. IMO we should stop discussing about his departure and his behavior and just let him enjoy his life. That's it.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2187 on: October 07, 2010, 08:49:25 PM »
Yup. As soon as he stops with the attention-begging tweets, us fans will stop commenting on 'em. Can't comment on something that doesn't exist, after all  ;D

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2188 on: October 07, 2010, 08:51:38 PM »
But what's the point on commenting on something you find immature?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2189 on: October 07, 2010, 08:56:50 PM »
Sorry, I've never lived in a world where people don't talk about the things their favorite bands are currently doing.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2190 on: October 07, 2010, 08:58:36 PM »
He's not in the band anymore. Whats's the point of bashing on a former member's behavior? That's the thing I don't understand.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2191 on: October 07, 2010, 09:01:55 PM »
I don't see any bashing going on. I just see fans talking about their almost unanimously shared disappointment.

This is someone us fans talked about almost every day. Why would we just 'stop' because he's not in the band anymore? Especially when he refuses to leave quietly?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2192 on: October 07, 2010, 09:03:09 PM »
Nic, what you're suggesting is really against human nature, it seems.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2193 on: October 07, 2010, 09:09:25 PM »
I don't know, that's just me. When someone says something immature, I just don't care because I'm enough mature to take his statement and put it in the garbage because it's not worth discussing. (don't know if it makes sense, keep in mind English isn't me first language)

But I'm not saying you're are immature guys. Of course I'm not telling you to stop discussing about it (you wouldn't listen to me either if I told you so), but I don't feel the necessity of saying over and over again that Mike's behavior is childish.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2194 on: October 07, 2010, 09:16:30 PM »
Well, I actually agree that I've been talking about this far more than is healthy.

But still there's this:

stuff

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2195 on: October 07, 2010, 09:23:18 PM »
I guess you're talking about this?

0. Says he doesn't like James' voice publically.
1. Leaves band.
2. Cry about being forced to leave.
3. Get mad over discussions of possible future drummers on his forum.
4. Delete threads with such discussions.
5. Says that the rest of the band would need to put 110% into everything they do to fill his shoes.
6. Says that it would be a tragedy if he never plays with the band again.
7. Bitch about Blabbermouth taking things out of context yet fall into their trap and remove James' tour dates.
8. Posts an apology in a half hearted way "okay fine whatever sorry".
9. Calls himself a victim.

Literally still have fans that defend him wow.

What really happened:
0. He said he wasn't into that style of singing anymore. Not that he doesn't like it.
2. He didn't cry at all. Total bullshit. He and the band said that all went down in a very friendly way.
3. He said in a polite way that it was hard for him to see discussions about the next drummer, that's why he asked to avoid the subject for now.
4. It's just normal. It's HIS forum. Like I said, he asked it in a polite way. His 'fans' should've understood how he felt.
5. He never said that.
6. It would be a tragedy because he loves DT and loves the guys, that's why it would be a tragedy. He didn't say that in an arrogant way.
7. That wasn't actually bright from MP.
8. The letter was ridiculous. What did you expect?
9. Because he is a victim of thousands of people (like you) that are bitching him.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2196 on: October 07, 2010, 09:25:02 PM »
I'm just gonna say I disagree, and let you take up that argument with Flash if you want. 'Cuz I don't have time do this again!!!

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2197 on: October 07, 2010, 09:26:37 PM »
 :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2198 on: October 07, 2010, 09:45:47 PM »
I strongly suggest people read this before posting anyting else in this thread:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=17311.0
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2199 on: October 07, 2010, 09:56:04 PM »
I have a confession to make. I think this is one of the best things that could have happened to DT. As of late I had found DT boring and predictable, and their musical output interested me less and less. This development not only provides seemingly endless entertainment due to the drama factor (I was getting afraid it had already died down), but it also adds a new spark to DT, and that's good.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2200 on: October 07, 2010, 09:59:34 PM »
I don't share that opinion (the part about them becoming boring and predictable), but I understand that a lot of people do.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2201 on: October 07, 2010, 10:01:49 PM »
I think a lot of things about predictability is good and I personally love the album and touring cycle they've gotten into. It means I have a new album I will more than likely enjoy every 2 years and that I'll have 2 legs of touring to get to see them after that album... I like that.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2202 on: October 07, 2010, 10:07:47 PM »
I'm not saying this would happen, but here's a hypothetical nobody has talked about:  Mike was key in providing a lot of the structure and arrangement of DT's songs.  What happens if that element is suddenly removed, but a lot of other things stay the same?  I.e., what if we get an album that is a JP/JR shredfest, but lacking the kind of structure and arrangement that Mike brought to the table?  I mean, it would be pretty ironic if the next album came out, and people were like, "What the--MIKE, PLEASE COME BACK!!!"   :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2203 on: October 07, 2010, 10:09:03 PM »
I have a confession to make. I think this is one of the best things that could have happened to DT. As of late I had found DT boring and predictable, and their musical output interested me less and less. This development not only provides seemingly endless entertainment due to the drama factor (I was getting afraid it had already died down), but it also adds a new spark to DT, and that's good.

rumborak
I was just fixing to make a rare DT side post to say almost that very thing.  I still maintain that we're going to get much better music from both camps, and the drama is a real hoot.  Kinda like watching a drunken, white trash domestic on Cops.  Now if MP would just mix in another side project with all the melodrama, all would be wonderful.  
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2204 on: October 07, 2010, 10:10:20 PM »
I'm not saying this would happen, but here's a hypothetical nobody has talked about:  Mike was key in providing a lot of the structure and arrangement of DT's songs.  What happens if that element is suddenly removed, but a lot of other things stay the same?  I.e., what if we get an album that is a JP/JR shredfest, but lacking the kind of structure and arrangement that Mike brought to the table?  I mean, it would be pretty ironic if the next album came out, and people were like, "What the--MIKE, PLEASE COME BACK!!!"   :lol

Yeah, Mike helped with the structures of the songs. But that doesn't mean the other members don't know anything about song structure...