Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509777 times)

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #2135 on: October 07, 2010, 09:05:27 AM »
GUYS

I'M REALLY FUCKING PISSED

RIGHT NOW

First, read my post yesterday:
Even the usual MP.com Portnoy Army isn't defending him. Plus, Mike Portnoy of all people is not entitled in anyway to comment on James LaBrie disrespecting him. What a joke! The guy who's said-- time and time again-- that he doesn't like James' voice, or that James 'sounded like shit' on x-night, or that verses need to be cut since James can't sing them anymore (even when James disagrees) or that James isn't who they'd pick if DT were hiring a vocalist today is mad that James saying he 'isn't sad' about the future of the band is disrespectful???

Now read what NICKY SPANJAARDS said on the JLB forum earlier today
Plus, Mike Portnoy of all people is not entitled in anyway to comment on James LaBrie disrespecting him. What a joke! The guy who has said (time and time again) that he doesn't like James' voice, or that James 'sounded like shit' on x-night, or that verses need to be cut since James can't sing them anymore (even when James disagrees) or that James isn't who they'd pick if DT were hiring a vocalist today, is mad that James saying he 'isn't sad' about the future of the band is disrespectful???

https://www.jameslabrie.com/forum/index.php?topic=792.15

Dude. I DEFENDED HIS VOICE!

WHATTHEFUCK

>:(

Okay I'm really not upset about this, just thinks it's kinda funny. But come'on man! If you're gonna steal someone else post at least change the words around and stuff!

Edit your original post, add this:

©Perpetual Change, 2010

and sue him.  :P

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #2136 on: October 07, 2010, 09:07:27 AM »
You know, as much as Portnoy did something kind of dumb, I just want to say one thing.....

I actually feel a little bad for him.  I really do think he has a good heart and I really don't think he's malicious.  I think Portnoy really does cherish the relationship he has with his fans and I think he's a little embarassed and doesn't want to admit he was wrong.  I mean, that's happened to ALL of us, but I feel bad for Portnoy because he did something stupid, he's famous and thousands of people are now involved.  

Twenty years ago, this would have ONLY been between the guys in DT and maybe some inside friends and family or something like that, but the majority of fans would NOT have been involved.  The internet has made everything so quick now and we're all so integrated with each other.  I really think Portnoy just doesn't think about the consequences of posting ONLINE.  He's thinking of it like, "this is my forum, you're all my friends," as if he's just talking to a group of people in a room, but what he forgets is that millions of people could potentially be reading what he's saying.  Most of the time, it's OK because it's nothing controversial.  But, the second you say something stupid, those millions of people are now enabled.  It's like turning on a switch.  

I don't think he was right at all, but I feel bad for him in the sense that he obviously seems to be embarassed, plus I really think that he believed everyone was going to side with him on the issue of him leaving the group and most people are not.  So, he must feel like he has to go on the defensive, even though he really doesn't.  His best bet, in my opinion, would be to just come clean and say, "Hey guys, I'm totally sorry about all this.  I acted kind of dumb and .... hey, we've all been there!  I wish the guys the best!" and just move on.  I think that would end everything.  
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #2137 on: October 07, 2010, 09:09:04 AM »
GUYS

RIGHT NOW

You've just been plagiarized!

It's the CJS forum: expect to get pirated :yarr

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2138 on: October 07, 2010, 09:10:10 AM »
That's it. I've got it screen'capped and everything. Can I get a lawyer? BOSK???

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #2139 on: October 07, 2010, 09:13:19 AM »
Who's the creepy guy with the late 80's pseudo-perm on the right of the screen?
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #2140 on: October 07, 2010, 09:17:19 AM »
Wow, that sucks  :|

Make an account over at JLB and show them the original post?
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #2141 on: October 07, 2010, 09:20:16 AM »
MP's made the right choice by stepping away from the interweb for a while. 
Me too, I was kind of happy for him when I read his response to that. Sometimes you just have to leave the Internet and live in the real world. I think it actually will make him feel better because then he only can "talk" to people that he really knows, like his family, friends etc + the times he talks with his ex-band mates DT don't have to be over analyzed, scrutinized and taken in the wrong way. He doesn't have to speak to people he doesn't know over the Internet and read their comments. I really hope he can make it, just like he defeated his alcoholic disease.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2142 on: October 07, 2010, 09:20:43 AM »
That's everyone's favorite DT cover singer. Nicky S!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2143 on: October 07, 2010, 09:23:40 AM »
As has already been said, MP's statement is in no way an apology! Geez, how can he be so blind as not to see HE was wrong! Is that too much for him to be honest? And the whole "going public" thing....I'm just disgusted!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2144 on: October 07, 2010, 09:23:55 AM »
That's Nicky. Sorry. Had his website opened in the other window.  Was trying to see how much money he made off his DT cover series so I could sue him for it.

Wow, that sucks  :|

Make an account over at JLB and show them the original post?

Haha, thanks, but it's not that serious.  :biggrin:

That's everyone's favorite DT cover singer. Nicky S!

Would it be a stretch to say "The Voice of DTF?"  ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:29:29 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #2145 on: October 07, 2010, 09:24:59 AM »
the only thing I got from that is that Nicky agrees with SeRoX :lol

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2146 on: October 07, 2010, 09:26:55 AM »

SeRox.........  :sadpanda:

I miss that guy hahaha
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2147 on: October 07, 2010, 09:28:19 AM »

Lol. That's funny, because SeRox laid it into him about his vocals over there lol. But you gotta right click and view image to see it all big and stuff.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #2148 on: October 07, 2010, 09:32:52 AM »
but then on Monday, reading the Blabbermouth headlines with James insensitively proclaiming they are "not sad at all" about my departure from DT, I cannot in happy standing "promote" his solo tour....

I am so sad it's come to this, but I am even more shocked and hurt by James' completely disrespectful quote......  

MP"

Oh the dramedy.
Feed the troll, Mike.

If I only cared what Mike "has to say" anymore.

The only thing I do care about is Dream Theater - looking forward to their next album and excited to see who they bring on to pound the skins.

To the rest of the people commenting on this particular thread, you have all made insightful comments. It is greatly appreciated to see the fans of DT stick this one out, remain patient and overly supportive. I know the current 4 guys of DT are appreciative as well.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:11:12 AM by Bone_Daddy »

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #2149 on: October 07, 2010, 09:37:38 AM »
I've got a feeling JP, JLB, JM and JR have wanted this for a long, long, time.

This.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #2150 on: October 07, 2010, 10:18:04 AM »
RE: the shitstorm Mike created with regards to the JLB Blabbermouth quote

Mike stepping away from the interweb is the best thing he could do and should have done immediately after making the statement that he was departing Dream Theater.

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #2151 on: October 07, 2010, 10:47:42 AM »
GUYS

RIGHT NOW

First, read my post yesterday:
Even the usual MP.com Portnoy Army isn't defending him. Plus, Mike Portnoy of all people is not entitled in anyway to comment on James LaBrie disrespecting him. What a joke! The guy who's said-- time and time again-- that he doesn't like James' voice, or that James 'sounded like shit' on x-night, or that verses need to be cut since James can't sing them anymore (even when James disagrees) or that James isn't who they'd pick if DT were hiring a vocalist today is mad that James saying he 'isn't sad' about the future of the band is disrespectful???

Now read what NICKY SPANJAARDS said on the JLB forum earlier today
Plus, Mike Portnoy of all people is not entitled in anyway to comment on James LaBrie disrespecting him. What a joke! The guy who has said (time and time again) that he doesn't like James' voice, or that James 'sounded like shit' on x-night, or that verses need to be cut since James can't sing them anymore (even when James disagrees) or that James isn't who they'd pick if DT were hiring a vocalist today, is mad that James saying he 'isn't sad' about the future of the band is disrespectful???

https://www.jameslabrie.com/forum/index.php?topic=792.15

Dude. I DEFENDED HIS VOICE!

WHATTHEFUCK

>:(

Okay I'm really not upset about this, just thinks it's kinda funny. But come'on man! If you're gonna steal someone else post at least change the words around and stuff!

Hey lad,

Sorry that I copied it. I didn't know how to quote it, so that it why I copied and paste it. Hope you're not too upset with it...otherwise...have a beer, I owe you one!  :chill
I will put your name above the text  ;)

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #2152 on: October 07, 2010, 10:58:32 AM »
Ya know, this has sat with me for a while, and although my disappointment in Mike's attitude as of late has left me infinitely disappointed, I tried to analyze WHY some of us feel, shall I say, almost betrayed by his rash reaction towards things. And I realized that, well, its because Mike set his bar SO damn high by being great for what has seemed like an eternity, so a sudden 180 degree twist to a more self-fulfilling mindset has left us all in a tail spin trying to figure out where it all went wrong.
So I say, Mike, go, have your day. Make decisions for number 1 for a while and explore that path and see if it satisfies you. It would be dumb of me not to admit that if anyone has earned the right to a little bit of "me" focus, its Mike. I for one can say that Mike has given us plenty in the past 25 years, so that even if he never gets back on the same path or in the same mindset, I'm happy to say that he gave me plenty. I never want to be an expectant fan. Sure, its tough when you open your hands and the faucet just floods you with all sorts of good stuff, and it can leave you scratching your head when it suddenly, without much warning, just stops. But that is life, and I'm going to learn to live with it.
The bright side is both DT and Mike will move on. And once all this blows over, it will be a sad, silly joke of the past that we can shrug off as some exposed wounds and hurt feelings. I'm not saying Mike shouldn't be held responsible for his actions, but I can say that, as of now, I simply don't care anymore. It really doesn't effect me. Not nearly as much as I initially thought it might. I'm over it. I'm sure a lot of you will come to a similar conclusion sooner or later.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2153 on: October 07, 2010, 11:09:38 AM »
Also something worse could have happened. If Mike really was feeling burned out and didn’t have another outlet like AX7 to play music without being the <insert role he played with DT here>, he could have gone in to the studio with the DT guys in early 2011 as scheduled with negative results.  He could have not given it his usual 100% all; he could have butted head with the other 4 guys on more issues; he could have not wanted to start a supporting tour… ultimately, it would have come to a head at some point. Better that it happened now, when they were already taking a few months off, than put the band in another KM post-Awake situation or something like that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #2154 on: October 07, 2010, 11:11:58 AM »
I didn't know how to quote it

You just wrap [quote author=PerpetualChange ] [/quote] tags around the quoted text.

Offline j

« Reply #2155 on: October 07, 2010, 11:16:29 AM »
^Couple of good posts.

As is this:

MP's made the right choice by stepping away from the interweb for a while. 

And for the record, my disappointment with Portnoy's actions of late is definitely mixed with a lot of sympathy.  I can't help but feel bad for the guy, he's in a tough spot, even if he's there mostly by his own hand.

-J

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2156 on: October 07, 2010, 12:04:39 PM »
In response to Mike Portnoy's "last" post:

Mike, for God's sake, you left the goddamn band. YOU LEFT. Instead of getting what you want by going on hiatus and basically making your bandmates find another avenue for income (which you had no problem with, because you knew you had A7X if you wanted it), you didn't do the one thing you should have:

ASKED THE DAMN BAND THAT YOU TAKE A HIATUS AND THEM BRING ON A FILL-IN FOR AN ALBUM CYCLE SO THAT YOU COULD CLEAR YOUR HEAD.

Had you actually done that, instead of what you did, none of this would have happened. You have some sort of need to feel wanted, and while that is human, you caused all of the backlash the way you have continually put yourself in the spotlight for attention.

How are you the "bad guy?" READ ABOVE. You need all this damn attention it seems. What you SHOULD HAVE DONE, is do what I said above, OR, OR...instead of releasing your own messages, had the BAND ANNOUNCE EVERYTHING, AND YOU JUST ANNOUNCE ABOUT THE NON-DT stuff.

Instead, you had to be an attention whore.

MP - I love what you did for all the fans, I love you as a drummer, and I have complete respect for you as a musician. But dude, you have a serious need for attention, and you make really stupid comments publicly because of it. If you didn't want to fully leave DT, you didn't have to. YOU made that choice by going to one extreme or another. THAT is YOUR fault. Not anyone else's.

So for God's sake, shut up now, go play with A7X, go do the projects we'll all check out, and let Dream Theater BE Dream Theater. Because frankly, DT is a LOT bigger than just Mike Portnoy. If Pink Floyd can go on without Roger, successfully, then Dream Theater can very easily go on without Mike Portnoy. That's not a shot at ya bro, it's just reality.

Go live life and enjoy the new chapter. Let time take its course. HOPEFULLY, this post finds its way to you.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2157 on: October 07, 2010, 12:07:41 PM »
I've got a feeling JP, JLB, JM and JR have wanted this for a long, long, time.

This.

Absolutely, this. And they're very good at getting the message across subtly.

Regarding MP's reply, it boggles my mind why he would reply to individual posters' statements. The only thing he would have needed to do was to keep his fingers still. He had massive support at the beginning after his departure, and by now he's managed to lose that all. And there is nobody else to blame but him.

rumborak
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 12:27:48 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2158 on: October 07, 2010, 12:12:48 PM »

The GIF is awesome, but the current MP situation reminds me of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c2etjMl3WM

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2159 on: October 07, 2010, 01:09:42 PM »
This whole situation is just insane lol.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2160 on: October 07, 2010, 01:26:40 PM »
The best possible choice all five members of the band could make is to have an open conference call to affirm their allegiance with each other and to kill off all this "reading-between-the-lines" crap.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2161 on: October 07, 2010, 01:50:47 PM »
OK, this whole saga broke out suddenly. MP does seem to come across as being a bit attention-seeking. I took JLB's 'not sad at all' comment to mean: 'It's a bump in the road, but we're moving on from it', but MP *seemed* to take it as 'We're not sad, we're glad he left'.

I have enormous respect for MP as a musician, but my respect for him as a man has gone down considerably in recent weeks.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2162 on: October 07, 2010, 03:34:12 PM »
You know, as much as Portnoy did something kind of dumb, I just want to say one thing.....

I actually feel a little bad for him.  I really do think he has a good heart and I really don't think he's malicious.  I think Portnoy really does cherish the relationship he has with his fans and I think he's a little embarassed and doesn't want to admit he was wrong.  I mean, that's happened to ALL of us, but I feel bad for Portnoy because he did something stupid, he's famous and thousands of people are now involved. 

Twenty years ago, this would have ONLY been between the guys in DT and maybe some inside friends and family or something like that, but the majority of fans would NOT have been involved.  The internet has made everything so quick now and we're all so integrated with each other.  I really think Portnoy just doesn't think about the consequences of posting ONLINE.  He's thinking of it like, "this is my forum, you're all my friends," as if he's just talking to a group of people in a room, but what he forgets is that millions of people could potentially be reading what he's saying.  Most of the time, it's OK because it's nothing controversial.  But, the second you say something stupid, those millions of people are now enabled.  It's like turning on a switch. 

I don't think he was right at all, but I feel bad for him in the sense that he obviously seems to be embarassed, plus I really think that he believed everyone was going to side with him on the issue of him leaving the group and most people are not.  So, he must feel like he has to go on the defensive, even though he really doesn't.  His best bet, in my opinion, would be to just come clean and say, "Hey guys, I'm totally sorry about all this.  I acted kind of dumb and .... hey, we've all been there!  I wish the guys the best!" and just move on.  I think that would end everything. 
This is a really great post SE. :tup

Mike reacts badly to things. Always has done and always will do. Right now it's worse than usual, I guess because he is particularly hurting and because there is so much to react to. I'm not saying it justifies him at all, he was very out of line with his response to JLB's interview, ESPECIALLY because he didn't actually read or listen to the whole interview and just went by the Blabbermouth article.

However, he has apologised for that and pledged to take some time out from internet posting. I completely agree with you Snake, it seems incredibly obvious to me that he isn't a malicious person and isn't trying to hurt or upset anyone, he just doesn't know how to deal with difficult situations. I think people accusing him of "playing games" are being very unfair to him.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #2163 on: October 07, 2010, 03:42:25 PM »
It's a good thing that MP takes some time off the internet; while it's something that he should have done several weeks ago, it means something that he actually does it. Whether he pulls through or not is a different question, but let's not settle down on that too quickly.

However, I think that this apology he posted was either half-assed or one of the hardest things he ever had to bring himself to do. I'm not deciding on anything yet about that.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #2164 on: October 07, 2010, 04:20:28 PM »
"Mike Portnoy: Goodbye Cruel World....."

...Wait what?
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2165 on: October 07, 2010, 04:22:23 PM »
Probably its his dramatic way to say that he will be away from the net for a while...
I really feel sorry for Mike, seeing the way he handles all this...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2166 on: October 07, 2010, 04:24:59 PM »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #2167 on: October 07, 2010, 04:29:36 PM »

...Wait what?
Being discussed here already: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=17334.msg621461#msg621461
Um, but isn't that thread supposed to be in this thread? :p

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2168 on: October 07, 2010, 04:31:04 PM »

...Wait what?
Being discussed here already: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=17334.msg621461#msg621461
Um, but isn't that thread supposed to be in this thread? :p

I smell a plot to a new M Night Shyamalan movie!!
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2169 on: October 07, 2010, 04:34:39 PM »
Just reading about this now.

Mike should have listened to the interview before opening his mouth.  James said nothing wrong, Mike totally twisted this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.