Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 512093 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1960 on: October 04, 2010, 09:22:22 PM »
There'd probably be more traffic in a Porcupine Tree subforum than a TA one. I know it's not a side project but in terms of "other" bands on this forum...

A PT subforum would get more traffic than fan mixes, bootlegs, musicians and reviews combined.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1961 on: October 04, 2010, 09:26:32 PM »
But there's already a PTF.

Offline DREAMS FTIME45

« Reply #1962 on: October 04, 2010, 11:10:12 PM »
Please see and read my thread

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1963 on: October 05, 2010, 05:58:38 AM »
just browsed 5/8 forum for the first time. them peeps got some freaky ass avatars over there.
Its October.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1964 on: October 05, 2010, 12:57:35 PM »
just browsed 5/8 forum for the first time. them peeps got some freaky ass avatars over there.
Its October.

and it's 5/8

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #1965 on: October 05, 2010, 02:01:10 PM »
I appreciate those who understand I was not trying to disrespect Mike. I am a huge Mike Portnoy fan and that's why I get upset at the fact I feel he is embarrassing himself in his tweets and such. Am I allowed to say that?
Mike wears his heart on his sleeve. I can relate to that.

Right now though knowing full well his is going to get a mixed bag of support and criticism, he should probably take a hiatus from so much social media.

That strikes me as being a very good idea.....

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1966 on: October 05, 2010, 04:04:47 PM »
Agreed, but that's the one thing Mike cannot seem to do: just ignore things for a while.  He knows there's a bunch of stuff being written about him right now that will just upset him, and not only does he continue to read it, he keeps reacting to it, which just keeps things going.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1967 on: October 05, 2010, 04:30:17 PM »
Agreed, but that's the one thing Mike cannot seem to do: just ignore things for a while.  He knows there's a bunch of stuff being written about him right now that will just upset him, and not only does he continue to read it, he keeps reacting to it, which just keeps things going.

I think he's a bit like us, he's a kid who loves music and though he put himself in this postition, he can't separate the fan from the buisness right now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1968 on: October 05, 2010, 04:55:23 PM »
Agreed, but that's the one thing Mike cannot seem to do: just ignore things for a while.  He knows there's a bunch of stuff being written about him right now that will just upset him, and not only does he continue to read it, he keeps reacting to it, which just keeps things going.

I think he's a bit like us, he's a kid who loves music and though he put himself in this postition, he can't separate the fan from the buisness right now.
Its because he has that regular guy mentality. Thats what I love about him, but he has a loud personality, and he is sensitive. That can be a volatile combination. He would have more inner peace if he avoided the internet for a bit, but we all know that aint Mike, and it won't happen.
In fairness to Mike, if I was in his shoes, I would probably unfortunately react very much like he does to stuff.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 08:43:05 PM by tick »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1969 on: October 06, 2010, 12:33:10 AM »
"So I had the tour dates thread open in a tab and when I went to refresh it, it was gone?   Was it deleted for some reason?"

"I'm afraid your eyes are not playing tricks on you....

I was willing to ignore that the DT guys insisted all MP-related stuff be removed from DT.net....but then on Monday, reading the Blabbermouth headlines with James insensitively proclaiming they are "not sad at all" about my departure from DT, I cannot in happy standing "promote" his solo tour....

I am so sad it's come to this, but I am even more shocked and hurt by James' completely disrespectful quote...... 

MP"

https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2599140.aspx

:-\
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1970 on: October 06, 2010, 12:44:54 AM »
Oh dear. How childish.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1971 on: October 06, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »
Oh dear. How childish.

There it comes! It's only the beginning! Wait for the new drummer to be announced...
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1972 on: October 06, 2010, 12:56:56 AM »
Wow... I am speechless.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1973 on: October 06, 2010, 01:00:09 AM »
Wow... I am speechless.

Indeed! And now, he's beginning to "attack" former band members... :-\ I'm afraid he's beginning to take steps where a possible return to DT will prove impossible.
BTW, am I the only one not being surprised by his "attacking" James?

B.Lee
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 01:09:31 AM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1974 on: October 06, 2010, 01:28:54 AM »
Wow...

Wow.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1975 on: October 06, 2010, 01:35:46 AM »
I'm still not surprised. I'm sorry that I have to say that, but MP keeps embarrassing himself more with each post about his departure.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1976 on: October 06, 2010, 01:44:55 AM »
I'm having a very hard time right now convincing myself that Mike Portnoy isn't completely out of line here. Anyone want to give changing my mind a go?

Even the usual MP.com Portnoy Army isn't defending him. Plus, Mike Portnoy of all people is not entitled in anyway to comment on James LaBrie disrespecting him. What a joke! The guy who's said-- time and time again-- that he doesn't like James' voice, or that James 'sounded like shit' on x-night, or that verses need to be cut since James can't sing them anymore (even when James disagrees) or that James isn't who they'd pick if DT were hiring a vocalist today is mad that James saying he 'isn't sad' about the future of the band is disrespectful???

LOL.

Okay, MP.

::)

All I have to say is I hope the rest of the guys in DT maintain the level of class which they have throughout so far. I really hope they don't allow Mike Portnoy to drag them into a childish argument.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 03:19:04 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1977 on: October 06, 2010, 03:22:23 AM »
IMO, what he's trying to do from the beginning is to turn fans against each other. He thought DT couldn't do without him, maybe he thought so for fans as well. Seeing this is not happening seems to drive him mad. Even if I'm convinced this is a voluntary move...

B.Lee

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1978 on: October 06, 2010, 03:36:45 AM »
Is Mike fucking retarded? Of course the remaining DT members are not going to say they are sad. How would that make them look. They are still a great band with great fans, the last thing they want us to think is that they are a bunch of bitchy little school girls. DT is going back into the studio, does Mike really think they are going to go in with a depressed fml attitude? They have to remain positive, it's their only chance of surviving.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1979 on: October 06, 2010, 03:44:50 AM »
I wouldn't say that MP is retarded, but he certainly seems to be unable to see things from any different perspective but his. Which is understandable to some extent, but this time he went too far.

Mentlegen.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1980 on: October 06, 2010, 03:55:36 AM »
As someone who knows Blabbermouth as well as Mike does, I'm genuinely surprised that Mike would take any of the site's articles at face value and publicly rebuke James based on Blabbermouth's allegations without at least giving him a phone call first, or even bothering to listen to the full interview.

Had Mike listened to the interview, he would have at least heard James describe them as brothers, say that he thinks Nightmare is great, etc.  Is Mike so self-centered that he can't even imagine why the band would want to, oh, I don't know, reassure the fans that things are still going well?

I don't know what the hell's wrong with Mike. He's obviously frustrated, and willing to blame everyone but himself for what's going on. So we'll see what happens. Like I said earlier, I just hope he doesn't drag the other guys in DT down to his level.

But the fact Mike would decide the draw the line without even talking to the guys first: the says a lot about the relationship between Mike and the other guys right now.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1981 on: October 06, 2010, 04:00:16 AM »
Plus, I've just been to read the thing on his forum and I'm happy the guys there are telling him he's overreacting (one old forumer pretty harshly too). And his comment "I won't promote JLB's album"?!?!? Come on! As if anybody had asked him to do so...

B.Lee

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1982 on: October 06, 2010, 04:00:58 AM »
As someone who knows Blabbermouth as well as Mike does, I'm genuinely surprised that Mike would take any of the site's articles at face value and publicly rebuke James based on Blabbermouth's allegations without at least giving him a phone call first, or even bothering to listen to the full interview.

Had Mike listened to the interview, he would have at least heard James describe them as brothers, say that he thinks Nightmare is great, etc.  Is Mike so self-centered that he can't even imagine why the band would want to, oh, I don't know, reassure the fans that things are still going well?

I don't know what the hell's wrong with Mike. He's obviously frustrated, and willing to blame everyone but himself for what's going on. So we'll see what happens. Like I said earlier, I just hope he doesn't drag the other guys in DT down to his level.

But the fact Mike would decide the draw the line without even talking to the guys first: the says a lot about the relationship between Mike and the other guys right now.

I don't know, it doesn't necessarily need to be that way. The general relationship between MP and the guys from DT might be still kind of intact (although his latest comment might give it a blow), but as we all know, MP is quite the hothead. So it doesn't surprise me that the actions he's been taking as an additional reaction (boycotting news about JLB's touring plans) are rather irrational and crude.

Mentlegen.

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #1983 on: October 06, 2010, 04:01:40 AM »
This makes me so sad :'-(

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1984 on: October 06, 2010, 04:05:22 AM »
Frankly, does he read/ listen to the whole things before reacting like that or is he relying on somebody else to read/ listen to them for him? If he had listened to the whole interview, he wouldn't have reacted like that. Yet, again, I'm not surprised it's James he is attacking...

B.Lee

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1985 on: October 06, 2010, 04:09:57 AM »
I see what you mean. Keep in mind, though, that JP seems to try everything to not stir up another shitstorm by MP by being super-tactful. JR doesn't say anything at all anymore, which doesn't make him a good target either. And JM... yeah, self-explanatory. JLB's comment about him and the rest of DT being excited was adding fuel to the fire.

Nonetheless, both JR and JP somehow expressed their positive attitude about the future, and MP left them alone. So your point is still valid, I guess...

Mentlegen.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1986 on: October 06, 2010, 04:16:52 AM »
I think MP is overreacting (*shocked face*).  The posting he is overreacting is one answer that was transcribed from a much longer interview.  He of all people should know the problem with taking things out of context.

Not to mention that the MP stuff is still on DT.net, contrary to what MP said in his post.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 04:47:35 AM by hefdaddy42 »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1987 on: October 06, 2010, 04:20:29 AM »
I can't believe this. I've been cool about the whole thing for quite a while, but now it makes me sad to see Mike react like this. Does he think anyone would take Dream Theater's future without Mike seriously if they kept saying that they miss him and that they're sad about him leaving? Well, obviously they were sad at first, but they're over it, and they want to keep on rockin'. They just need to show the fans that everything is fine. Leave them alone, Mike.

I'm really losing respect for one of my all time favorite drummers. Show some class, for fuck's sake! You don't see the rest of the guys bitching about the situation, do you?

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #1988 on: October 06, 2010, 04:31:25 AM »
 :omg:

I hope it doesnt get any worse then this.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1989 on: October 06, 2010, 04:49:08 AM »
Plus, Mike Portnoy of all people is not entitled in anyway to comment on James LaBrie disrespecting him. What a joke! The guy who's said-- time and time again-- that he doesn't like James' voice, or that James 'sounded like shit' on x-night, or that verses need to be cut since James can't sing them anymore (even when James disagrees) or that James isn't who they'd pick if DT were hiring a vocalist today is mad that James saying he 'isn't sad' about the future of the band is disrespectful???
Some pretty good points right here.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #1990 on: October 06, 2010, 05:10:28 AM »
You know what would be really funny... if they hired back KM. All of the other guys get along well together and even gain some popularity. Imagine Mike's reaction...

Btw not intended as a troll just a harmless joke

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1991 on: October 06, 2010, 05:20:27 AM »
Plus, Mike Portnoy of all people is not entitled in anyway to comment on James LaBrie disrespecting him. What a joke! The guy who's said-- time and time again-- that he doesn't like James' voice, or that James 'sounded like shit' on x-night, or that verses need to be cut since James can't sing them anymore (even when James disagrees) or that James isn't who they'd pick if DT were hiring a vocalist today is mad that James saying he 'isn't sad' about the future of the band is disrespectful???
Some pretty good points right here.

Yeah, well said PC.  MP is starting to look pretty childish, just hope the DT guys have enough restraint to not turn this into a pissing contest.  I'm kinda starting to like the idea of DT sans MP.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1992 on: October 06, 2010, 05:43:43 AM »
This is making me so sad. For some reason, against all logic, I thought this wasn't going to happen.

EDIT: On the flipside, it's also fascinating.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 05:54:55 AM by antigoon »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1993 on: October 06, 2010, 05:56:44 AM »
Is Mike fucking retarded? Of course the remaining DT members are not going to say they are sad. How would that make them look. They are still a great band with great fans, the last thing they want us to think is that they are a bunch of bitchy little school girls. DT is going back into the studio, does Mike really think they are going to go in with a depressed fml attitude? They have to remain positive, it's their only chance of surviving.
The first line is something I would have been reprimanded for. The last half of the last sentence is a bit over dramatic. Besides that, I completely agree with this.
Why should they be anything but excited? They are driven right now and that usually produces a stellar result.
As far as Mike's comment. It just solidified every remark I made about his situation in the past couple days.
Unlike ariich feeling sorry for Mike if he has read this thread, I feel this thread is required reading for Mike at this time, because the vast majority of the thoughts in it are spot on.
He is doing so much damage to his reputation right now its scary.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1994 on: October 06, 2010, 06:11:51 AM »
BTW, will ariich comment on Mike's comment? If i remember it well, he said that MP had not criticized the remaining members of DT, what will he say now it's been done?

B.Lee