Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 514728 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1715 on: September 26, 2010, 08:31:19 AM »
Wait.  What's wrong with his post?  That kind of activity is stupid and childish.  Those posters SHOULD be reported.  I don't have any problem whatsoever with that post from MP, and I don't see why anyone would.

This.

But, Mike constantly reacting only invites more trolls.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1716 on: September 26, 2010, 11:05:20 AM »
What MP needs to understand is that he DID piss off a lot of people with this decision. I'm sure he thought about the repercutions (sp?), but he clearly underestimated the effect of seeing them in writing.
To be honest, anyone who got "pissed off" by the decision should probably get a life.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1717 on: September 26, 2010, 11:07:01 AM »
Yeah...getting dissapoint and a bit sad is one thing. But being pissed is something else...

And eating oranges is completely a different thing...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1718 on: September 26, 2010, 11:19:48 AM »
Yeah...getting dissapoint and a bit sad is one thing. But being pissed is something else...

You eat oranges?

That pisses me off so much!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1719 on: September 26, 2010, 11:20:48 AM »
MP should just ignore such posts. They are just making him bad.
This. The guy needs to understand that some people are just trolling. Also, disappointed with DT Fans in general just because some d-bags want to piss him off? Come on Mike. We all know that you're not like that.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1720 on: September 26, 2010, 11:26:34 AM »
Also, disappointed with DT Fans in general just because some d-bags want to piss him off? Come on Mike. We all know that you're not like that.
Indeed we do, because he didn't say anything of the sort.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1721 on: September 26, 2010, 11:36:18 AM »
Wow MP, just shut up. He needs to understand what comes with the territory. It's the internet. You'd think he understand how it works and that he's only provoking more.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1722 on: September 26, 2010, 11:39:34 AM »
Wow MP, just shut up. He needs to understand what comes with the territory. It's the internet. You'd think he understand how it works and that he's only provoking more.
He should know by now. He's seen this hundreds of times. It's a wonder why he has so much trouble just stepping away.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1723 on: September 26, 2010, 11:43:55 AM »

You eat oranges?

Yeah! Fuck oranges, with their pain in the ass skin, and seeds, thinking their all cool and stuff.
He should know by now. He's seen this hundreds of times. It's a wonder why he has so much trouble just stepping away.

Because, there is a part of him that still wants to be with DT, no matter how much he denies it.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1724 on: September 26, 2010, 11:47:29 AM »

You eat oranges?

Yeah! Fuck oranges, with their pain in the ass skin, and seeds, thinking their all cool and stuff.
Wow. You guys are sooo immature. I knew you wouldn't understand my choice but hey, I got news for ya: I'm eating it anyways. :corn (just imagine the popcorn is oranges)

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1725 on: September 26, 2010, 01:44:34 PM »
Also, disappointed with DT Fans in general just because some d-bags want to piss him off? Come on Mike. We all know that you're not like that.
Indeed we do, because he didn't say anything of the sort.
Yep.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1726 on: September 26, 2010, 02:53:43 PM »
First off, It's nice to be back to the DT forums. I haven't been one of the regular posters since the forum was on DTs actual website years ago. I figured this was a good post to get started back up on again.

I haven't read much of the feedback coming from the DT fans about Portnoy's departure, but I certainly have an opinion of my own. To be honest, I haven't listened to the last 2 albums until a few months ago. I must say, they aren't DT's strongest albums for me. Perhaps it's due to the fact that I only gave the albums a couple listens only, but to be blunt without going into too much detail, some of the songs seem to not really go anywhere. Now, I'm not just some troll that's looking to rip on DT for no good reason or anything, if anyone even vaguely remembers me from the previous forum, I've always supported DT, been one of their biggest fans. Hell, I was even at both performances and recordings of Live Scenes from NY and Live and Budokan. Got a couple Metropolis 00 Jerseys, JPM100 in beat to hell from use condition, etc.

Anyway, to make this posting relevant, I'm going to give my two cents on the whole Portnoy leaving thing. I think Mike has the perfect mindset and I only wish the rest of the band would have followed. It's obvious and it came from the horses mouth that Portnoy never wanted to leave DT and he even looks forward to rejoining the band if it feels right again. See, portnoy has put himself in a unique position the rest of the band just doesn't seem to get at the moment. Myung contributes to the song writing occasionally and plays Bass, Petrucci steers the ship a bit as far as lyrics and song writing is concerned and he plays guitar. Jordan likes to play circus music and he's tried with all his might to incorporate that into the bands songs. James drinks a lot of water, takes voice lessons and uses concerts as proving grounds. (I kid, in other more serious words, they are all awesome artists and they have contributed, wrote, recorded and performed brilliantly throughout the years.) I can't imagine DT without these members. MP is no exception. But MP has a sort of oblique and omni directional perspective of band affairs and direction that the rest of the band doesn't really get at the moment. (I wish JP all the luck in the world trying to fill Mike's shoes.)

To simply put, Mike understands the feeling when you've been cramming for something, or writing, drawing, painting or trying to find some sort of inspiration for the longest time to create something, but all you end up doing is stressing yourself and you need to take a step back; a breather, in other words. He knows that through the act of doing nothing can a lot of times lead to the perfect solution. Detaching yourself from what you care most about can sometimes lead to the best result. There's an old romantic proverb that states that and I have no idea where it came from, but it sounds fitting "If you want to keep someone, you've got to be willing to lose them." or, "You don't know what you've really had until you've lost it" I probably butchered those a bit, but I'm sure you get what I'm getting at. In other words, Mike simply wanted some time to reflect. Mike felt it was time to bring things to an indefinite halt until that spark came back. 25 years is a long time to be engaged in something. A couple years is nothing if it means coming back bigger and better than ever with a head full of truly fresh ideas.

Mike knew best where the band has been headed since it's creation. Mike also knows best where the band is going. Unfortunately, it's not going in the direction that it felt it was going after Images and Words, after Awake, after Falling into Infinity, after Scenes from a Memory, etc. I think after the last Dream Theater album, it finally dawned on him that that feeling has faded a bit. Mike doesn't want to make music for the sake of making music. He's always wanted that sense of evolution for the band, that the music would always take the next great direction in it's path of evolution. I think that feeling was lost for him, and it's sort of stuck in a holding pattern. I don't think the other band members see that the way Mike does. After all, Myung still gets to play the Bass, John gets to play the guitar, Jordan keys and James sings. Sure, JP probably has a couple ideas of where to take the band from here and wants to give it a shot, but I think if the band would have taken a break, everyone else in the band would have said to Mike a year or so from now "Damn, this was a really good idea. I understand why you did what you did now. Those ideas that I had when you initially left seemed like shit in comparison to this."

I honestly think this is the best idea for the band. Myung, spend a year just touring the world with your family. Petrucci, buy a Ferrari California, a 64 iPod touch, jam pack it with all that music you've been meaning to listen to and take a year tour of the USA for a year straight. Jordan can play with his keyboards to try and find some more unique sounds. James, take some writing Journals, an acoustic guitar and just disappear for a year and develop a greater sense of writing music. I don't know, just do anything that will ultimately let you one day come to the conclusion "Wholey shite! I have an awesome idea that I never would have thought up before under the constants of the DT machine."

Ok, ranting now. But facts are facts, things aren't going to happen that way. I might be wrong in all of this, but it just feels right. Under the circumstances I hope I'm wrong and DT will just progressively get better and continue to put out awesome albums. We shall see.

-AytheSryche

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1727 on: September 26, 2010, 05:10:25 PM »
ok

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1728 on: September 26, 2010, 05:14:21 PM »
OK
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1729 on: September 26, 2010, 05:17:13 PM »
Okay
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1730 on: September 26, 2010, 05:46:09 PM »
*snip*

Honestly, I wish DT would do exactly what you outlined in the second to last paragraph.  But to them, DT is more than just a band, it's a job.  They would essentially be losing their revenue for a year.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1731 on: September 26, 2010, 05:55:43 PM »
Because, there is a part of him that still wants to be with DT, no matter how much he denies it.

He hasn't denied that.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1732 on: September 26, 2010, 07:08:19 PM »
First off, It's nice to be back to the DT forums. I haven't been one of the regular posters since the forum was on DTs actual website years ago. I figured this was a good post to get started back up on again.

I haven't read much of the feedback coming from the DT fans about Portnoy's departure, but I certainly have an opinion of my own. To be honest, I haven't listened to the last 2 albums until a few months ago. I must say, they aren't DT's strongest albums for me. Perhaps it's due to the fact that I only gave the albums a couple listens only, but to be blunt without going into too much detail, some of the songs seem to not really go anywhere. Now, I'm not just some troll that's looking to rip on DT for no good reason or anything, if anyone even vaguely remembers me from the previous forum, I've always supported DT, been one of their biggest fans. Hell, I was even at both performances and recordings of Live Scenes from NY and Live and Budokan. Got a couple Metropolis 00 Jerseys, JPM100 in beat to hell from use condition, etc.

Anyway, to make this posting relevant, I'm going to give my two cents on the whole Portnoy leaving thing. I think Mike has the perfect mindset and I only wish the rest of the band would have followed. It's obvious and it came from the horses mouth that Portnoy never wanted to leave DT and he even looks forward to rejoining the band if it feels right again. See, portnoy has put himself in a unique position the rest of the band just doesn't seem to get at the moment. Myung contributes to the song writing occasionally and plays Bass, Petrucci steers the ship a bit as far as lyrics and song writing is concerned and he plays guitar. Jordan likes to play circus music and he's tried with all his might to incorporate that into the bands songs. James drinks a lot of water, takes voice lessons and uses concerts as proving grounds. (I kid, in other more serious words, they are all awesome artists and they have contributed, wrote, recorded and performed brilliantly throughout the years.) I can't imagine DT without these members. MP is no exception. But MP has a sort of oblique and omni directional perspective of band affairs and direction that the rest of the band doesn't really get at the moment. (I wish JP all the luck in the world trying to fill Mike's shoes.)

To simply put, Mike understands the feeling when you've been cramming for something, or writing, drawing, painting or trying to find some sort of inspiration for the longest time to create something, but all you end up doing is stressing yourself and you need to take a step back; a breather, in other words. He knows that through the act of doing nothing can a lot of times lead to the perfect solution. Detaching yourself from what you care most about can sometimes lead to the best result. There's an old romantic proverb that states that and I have no idea where it came from, but it sounds fitting "If you want to keep someone, you've got to be willing to lose them." or, "You don't know what you've really had until you've lost it" I probably butchered those a bit, but I'm sure you get what I'm getting at. In other words, Mike simply wanted some time to reflect. Mike felt it was time to bring things to an indefinite halt until that spark came back. 25 years is a long time to be engaged in something. A couple years is nothing if it means coming back bigger and better than ever with a head full of truly fresh ideas.

Mike knew best where the band has been headed since it's creation. Mike also knows best where the band is going. Unfortunately, it's not going in the direction that it felt it was going after Images and Words, after Awake, after Falling into Infinity, after Scenes from a Memory, etc. I think after the last Dream Theater album, it finally dawned on him that that feeling has faded a bit. Mike doesn't want to make music for the sake of making music. He's always wanted that sense of evolution for the band, that the music would always take the next great direction in it's path of evolution. I think that feeling was lost for him, and it's sort of stuck in a holding pattern. I don't think the other band members see that the way Mike does. After all, Myung still gets to play the Bass, John gets to play the guitar, Jordan keys and James sings. Sure, JP probably has a couple ideas of where to take the band from here and wants to give it a shot, but I think if the band would have taken a break, everyone else in the band would have said to Mike a year or so from now "Damn, this was a really good idea. I understand why you did what you did now. Those ideas that I had when you initially left seemed like shit in comparison to this."

I honestly think this is the best idea for the band. Myung, spend a year just touring the world with your family. Petrucci, buy a Ferrari California, a 64 iPod touch, jam pack it with all that music you've been meaning to listen to and take a year tour of the USA for a year straight. Jordan can play with his keyboards to try and find some more unique sounds. James, take some writing Journals, an acoustic guitar and just disappear for a year and develop a greater sense of writing music. I don't know, just do anything that will ultimately let you one day come to the conclusion "Wholey shite! I have an awesome idea that I never would have thought up before under the constants of the DT machine."

Ok, ranting now. But facts are facts, things aren't going to happen that way. I might be wrong in all of this, but it just feels right. Under the circumstances I hope I'm wrong and DT will just progressively get better and continue to put out awesome albums. We shall see.

-AytheSryche

tl:dnr

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1733 on: September 26, 2010, 08:19:33 PM »
I'm personally curious how Mike reconciles his own sudden departure with that of Kevin's years earlier.  I mean it's been almost 20 years and he hasn't forgiven him for basically pulling the same stunt he is now.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1734 on: September 26, 2010, 10:29:52 PM »
I'm personally curious how Mike reconciles his own sudden departure with that of Kevin's years earlier.  I mean it's been almost 20 years and he hasn't forgiven him for basically pulling the same stunt he is now.

The difference is that Kevin Moore quit DT and hurt mike, in this case DT fired Mike against his will.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 12:05:31 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1735 on: September 27, 2010, 12:04:52 AM »
I'm personally curious how Mike reconciles his own sudden departure with that of Kevin's years earlier.  I mean it's been almost 20 years and he hasn't forgiven him for basically pulling the same stunt he is now.

The difference is that Kevin Moore quite DT and hurt mike, in this case DT fired Mike against his will.

Exactly.

Offline Yazman

« Reply #1736 on: September 27, 2010, 02:26:51 AM »
Aythesryche, I hate to shit in your cornflakes but I honestly do not think the hiatus was a good idea. Mike had a large hand in all things DT but he wasn't 'in charge', we know from what the band members have all said that they have all contributed to where the band is today, and I seriously disagree with the notion that just because Mike is uninspired that it means everybody in the band is.

Petrucci, LaBrie & Rudess have all said that they are excited for the next album and they have a lot of great ideas. Hell, we know Petrucci is already working on some preliminary stuff, they're going to hold auditions next month. DT is doing fine, and they've been doing better and better every year.

I think a hiatus might actually kill a lot of the momentum they've built up and have the reverse effect. Mike was the only one who wanted that break - remember that all the other band members have ALREADY been on a break for months now. Miek is the only one who hasn't. So for them, they pretty much already did what you suggested and now they're excited to get going again.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #1737 on: September 27, 2010, 08:41:37 AM »
I'm so pissed off that someone shit in someone's cornflakes. What kind of forum is this? First Oranges and now shit-flavored cornflakes.

Back on topic: Should prove interesting how the rest of the year plays out and what comes together for music in the world of all things DT.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1738 on: September 27, 2010, 10:07:47 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if MP is also a bit annoyed by the forums' easy acceptance of it and that (at least here) the majority sees it as a positive development.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

« Reply #1739 on: September 27, 2010, 10:09:50 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if MP is also a bit annoyed by the forums' easy acceptance of it and that (at least here) the majority sees it as a positive development.

rumborak

Of course you wouldn't be surprised, he has stated it directly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1740 on: September 27, 2010, 10:16:43 AM »

The difference is that Kevin Moore quit DT and hurt mike, in this case DT fired Mike against his will.

What? DT didn't fire Mike. No one, not even Mike has said that. And I don’t think Kevin leaving hurt Mike, except that it put the band in an awkward position at the time. I thought Kevin refusing to talk about DT in interviews and not wanting to perform a reunion song/show with DT live was what annoyed Mike?

rumborak

Yeah, it's like breaking up with your girlfriend, and then seeing her later on and noticing she got her hair done and lost 10 pounds.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1741 on: September 27, 2010, 10:17:21 AM »

rumborak

Of course you wouldn't be surprised, he has stated it directly.

Has he? I mean, I know that his Twitter posts have somewhat alluded to the easy acceptance issue, but I haven't heard anything about him complaining that people see this as a positive development.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

« Reply #1742 on: September 27, 2010, 10:18:48 AM »
@ Cool Chris, I was kidding bro.

@ Rumbortron3000, He asked people to stop talking about how who is going to replace himm, that seems like a positive thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1743 on: September 27, 2010, 10:47:12 AM »
But it is still two different situations...Mike didn't want to leave and Moore did.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1744 on: September 27, 2010, 11:30:30 AM »
Aythesryche, I hate to shit in your cornflakes but I honestly do not think the hiatus was a good idea. Mike had a large hand in all things DT but he wasn't 'in charge', we know from what the band members have all said that they have all contributed to where the band is today, and I seriously disagree with the notion that just because Mike is uninspired that it means everybody in the band is.

Petrucci, LaBrie & Rudess have all said that they are excited for the next album and they have a lot of great ideas. Hell, we know Petrucci is already working on some preliminary stuff, they're going to hold auditions next month. DT is doing fine, and they've been doing better and better every year.

I think a hiatus might actually kill a lot of the momentum they've built up and have the reverse effect. Mike was the only one who wanted that break - remember that all the other band members have ALREADY been on a break for months now. Miek is the only one who hasn't. So for them, they pretty much already did what you suggested and now they're excited to get going again.

It's cool, I'm not a big fan of cornflakes as they taste rather generic to me. Sort of like cardboard and it leaves me with feeling ripped off all day. I'm sure your shit will enhance the flavor substantially. I like to use a lot of milk in my cereal, too. So, I'm especially looking forward to the part where I get to drink the rest of the brown milk out of the bowl to wash the rest of the cornflakes down. Mmmmn...

But as far as your counterpoint goes, you may be right! I actually hope that's true. But another opinion of mine suggests that both arguments could be true. I know the entire band contributes to the song writing and such, and that's one of the things that makes the band so great. However, just because the rest of the band is still "inspired" doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be any good. It's kinda like the movie Zoo. Mr. Hands was inspired, too. But doesn't necessarily mean his inspiration lead to something good. Now, now... I know what you're saying. Having sex with horses is completely ridiculous and has nothing to do with Dream Theater. This is true. I just like getting my point across in a somewhat outlandish way.

But really, I think we are both onto something here. If they continue the way they are going, maybe they will continue brilliantly! I certainly hope so and I honestly can't imagine anything less from the remaining guys. But also, I think if they would have taken a break, It would have been interesting to see what that would have lead to. Personally, I think it would have been healthy for the band to take that step back for awhile. A lot of great things have happened for a lot of great people by doing just that.

But really, I'm just another fan that has an opinion. Dream Theater knows what's best for Dream Theater hopefully. Regardless of what they end up doing and putting out. I'm definitely excited to hear what's next and I'll give it a thorough listen. MP left, James cut his hair, Myung has spoken more so in the last month than he has in the last 25 years... Shit's changing, just like the seasons. I'm so pumped.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1745 on: September 27, 2010, 11:41:55 AM »
It's cool, I'm not a big fan of cornflakes as they taste rather generic to me. Sort of like cardboard and it leaves me with feeling ripped off all day. I'm sure your shit will enhance the flavor substantially. I like to use a lot of milk in my cereal, too. So, I'm especially looking forward to the part where I get to drink the rest of the brown milk out of the bowl to wash the rest of the cornflakes down. Mmmmn...
DUDE!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1746 on: September 27, 2010, 01:45:42 PM »
JM has spoken? Where?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1747 on: September 27, 2010, 04:05:21 PM »
JM has spoken? Where?

I would like to know as well.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1748 on: September 27, 2010, 04:28:40 PM »
JM has spoken? Where?

I would like to know as well.

AFAIK, his only words have been with Rich Wilson for an interview he did with the band members about MP's departure for an upcoming issue of Classic Rock Present Prog.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
« Reply #1749 on: September 27, 2010, 08:46:30 PM »
So, I don't check the forum for a while and when I come back, this has happened??

Damn, never thought Mike would actually quit. It makes sense though (the reasons he gave). I wish the whole band had taken a break, not because Mike wanted it, but just because it could've been a great and glorious thing. But hey, it's not my band.

I'm both excited to see what new stuff they'll come up with but also hesitant. The rest of the band may feel excited, but that doesn't mean it will be any good. It could be another SC - or worse. My only concern is that they follow some kind of formula as to how DT should sound and just simply color the numbers.

It will be interesting to see how all this turns out, to say the least.
And now I've only habits left
to break