Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 514729 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1680 on: September 24, 2010, 06:13:31 PM »
The guys who are saying "oh, MP wanted to party with AX7" aren't properly taking into account the degree to which MP really didn't want to leave DT.
Definitely, although as Jackie already said, mid-life crisis has (maybe) something to do with these recent events in MP's life. His dad passing away, his own very personality, his relationship with the other DT guys, etc.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1681 on: September 24, 2010, 06:14:37 PM »
Mike doesn't want to grow up. He's a Toys R Us kid.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1682 on: September 24, 2010, 06:22:44 PM »
Mike doesn't want to grow up. He's a Toys R Us kid.

This gives some cool ideas for a photoshop. Will do later though, I'm way too tired right now  :lol
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1683 on: September 24, 2010, 08:20:48 PM »
It does have at least something to do with A7X. Mike has said already that the tour- along with the TA and Hail tour- made him realize all the fun he was missing with DT. He just feels more energized touring with the other bands.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1684 on: September 24, 2010, 10:53:24 PM »
So, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.  Dream Theater may have been Mike's baby, but it was also his job.  Any job, including being in a rock and roll band, is still a job, and there is a degree of "obligation resent" even if it's subconscious.

Transatlantic, Hail, Avenged Sevenfold, all those other side projects he's done in the past years... those were all things he wanted to do.  For the music, for the fun of it.  Going back to "work" (DT) suddenly seemed like a drag, so he asked the guys if maybe they could postpone going back into the studio... and the rest is history.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1685 on: September 25, 2010, 03:07:28 AM »
It does have at least something to do with A7X. Mike has said already that the tour- along with the TA and Hail tour- made him realize all the fun he was missing with DT. He just feels more energized touring with the other bands.
No he didn't, he said he was already feeling it a year ago before The Rev even died, and was already thinking about an extended hiatus when touring with TransAtlantic.

If you (not just you personally, a few people keep bringing up A7X) want to just assume that he's lying then go ahead, but I'm getting pretty tired of this crap now.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1686 on: September 25, 2010, 05:24:46 AM »
No he didn't, he said he was already feeling it a year ago before The Rev even died, and was already thinking about an extended hiatus when touring with TransAtlantic.

If you (not just you personally, a few people keep bringing up A7X) want to just assume that he's lying then go ahead, but I'm getting pretty tired of this crap now.

I for one am convinced that his decision has nothing to do with A7X. What bothers me is that if it all started a year ago, why in the hell didn't he discuss it with the other guys in DT instead of formulating an ultimatum that has led we now know where?!?!? One whole year to talk things over (even if I'm conscious of the fact that it took him that whole year to be burned out as well). Sad!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1687 on: September 25, 2010, 05:29:54 AM »
I think MP did take the possibility of an early departure while touring into account; the consequence would have been the cancellation of the remaining concerts, and that would have made the fans even more upset than they are now anyway. Cutting the losses, you know.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1688 on: September 25, 2010, 06:40:31 AM »

He said exactly that on Eddie Trunks (I think it was Eddie Trunks). I think you're reading too much into what I'm saying, because all I'm not *blaming A7X* like some are I'm just saying is what Mike said already: That touring with all those other bands this year helped him realize that he needed a break from DT.

Edit:

Here it is
Honestly, this all was brewing way before AVENGED SEVENFOLD, but AVENGED SEVENFOLD, the experience with them kind of just opened my eyes a bit, as did the TRANSLATLANTIC tour, and as did the HAIL! shows. It just opened my eyes up to what a fresh relationship can be...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 09:11:56 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1689 on: September 25, 2010, 08:35:34 AM »
So, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.  Dream Theater may have been Mike's baby, but it was also his job.  Any job, including being in a rock and roll band, is still a job, and there is a degree of "obligation resent" even if it's subconscious.

Transatlantic, Hail, Avenged Sevenfold, all those other side projects he's done in the past years... those were all things he wanted to do.  For the music, for the fun of it.  Going back to "work" (DT) suddenly seemed like a drag, so he asked the guys if maybe they could postpone going back into the studio... and the rest is history.
Clear, well-put explanation. Speculating is fun about the details, but I think this is it. Pure and simple.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1690 on: September 25, 2010, 10:31:42 AM »
Regardless of how long he's been thinking about it, he didn't act on it till now...which so happens to be in the midst of his tenure with A7X. Its hard me for me to honestly believe that this experience hasn't pushed him further in a direction, whether he was already heading down that path or not prior to the turn of events. I think him expecting us to not connect the dots is insulting. We're not stupid.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1691 on: September 25, 2010, 11:49:32 AM »
I doubt Portnoy is directly lying.  I think he has convinced himself of what he is saying, but he sort of gives himself away with comments he has made.  On the one hand, he says him leaving DT has nothing to do with A7X, but on the other hand, he says how the personal relations he has had in the bands he has toured with this year, A7X being one of them, are better than the ones he has had in DT.  Like what just said in the post above mine, we are not stupid.  Connecting the dots is not that difficult.  This is not reading too much into things either; this is simply coming to a natural conclusion based on the facts and info we have been privy to.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1692 on: September 25, 2010, 12:49:53 PM »
I saw Jordan Rudess at PT last night and after talking with him about the show I said that it was unfortunate that Dream Theater was experiencing a rough patch and he very quickly chimed in that he was excited about the future. He said that he thought that, "this is a chance for us to up our game a notch", and overall I truly got the feel that he was not only okay with Mike's leaving but actually somewhat happy about it. While I don't know if that is accurate or shared by the rest of the band that is the impression I got from him.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1693 on: September 25, 2010, 12:56:56 PM »
I saw Jordan Rudess at PT last night and after talking with him about the show I said that it was unfortunate that Dream Theater was experiencing a rough patch and he very quickly chimed in that he was excited about the future. He said that he thought that, "this is a chance for us to up our game a notch", and overall I truly got the feel that he was not only okay with Mike's leaving but actually somewhat happy about it. While I don't know if that is accurate or shared by the rest of the band that is the impression I got from him.
I definately think that they are excited about the future, and I have been getting the impression that they really aren't dwelling too much on Mike. They've moved on.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1694 on: September 25, 2010, 01:25:32 PM »
That's great to hear, Nick.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1695 on: September 25, 2010, 01:35:46 PM »

Have you met JR enough times that he recognizes you or something?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1696 on: September 25, 2010, 01:41:37 PM »
That was only my 3rd time meeting Jordan. If I met Portnoy for the 8th time *maybe* he'd recognize me.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1697 on: September 25, 2010, 02:55:20 PM »

That's very interesting to hear. Nice story. :tup

Mentlegen.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1698 on: September 25, 2010, 03:57:40 PM »

That's very interesting to hear. Nice story. :tup

And I think that JR is not afraid of changes in general at all.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1699 on: September 25, 2010, 04:13:04 PM »
Yeah. He describes himself as a person who embraces change, actually. For reference, watch the "Change" video on YouTube.

Mentlegen.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1700 on: September 25, 2010, 05:27:42 PM »
Just look how he embraces new music-related technology. That's not commun for a man of his age.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1701 on: September 26, 2010, 12:31:17 AM »
He embraces it alright. Utilizing it to an audibly acceptable level is a completely other story.

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #1702 on: September 26, 2010, 05:13:05 AM »
New update from MP's fb/twitter
I am sickened to say that it has come to this: "fans" (cough) that continuously spam my Facebook wall with non-stop "go back to DT" or "F*ck A7X" posts will be removed and reported...I cant believe some of you DT fans are this mean and insensitive...show some class and respect....I'm very disappointed...please re-read my press release and Trunk interview to refresh your short term memories...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1703 on: September 26, 2010, 05:34:21 AM »
Poor Mike, he obviously cries himself to sleep every night.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1704 on: September 26, 2010, 05:36:37 AM »
Nothing new or surprising there.

Mentlegen.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #1705 on: September 26, 2010, 05:39:56 AM »
I am sickened to say that it has come to this: "fans" (cough) that continuously spam my Facebook wall with non-stop "go back to DT" or "F*ck A7X" posts will be removed and reported...I cant believe some of you DT fans are this mean and insensitive...show some class and respect....I'm very disappointed...please re-read my press release and Trunk interview to refresh your short term memories...

Some guy commented "Shut up Mike, we don't care anymore", I lol'ed.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1706 on: September 26, 2010, 05:43:35 AM »
*sigh*
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1707 on: September 26, 2010, 06:40:43 AM »
Wait.  What's wrong with his post?  That kind of activity is stupid and childish.  Those posters SHOULD be reported.  I don't have any problem whatsoever with that post from MP, and I don't see why anyone would.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1708 on: September 26, 2010, 06:45:00 AM »
Wait.  What's wrong with his post?  That kind of activity is stupid and childish.  Those posters SHOULD be reported.  I don't have any problem whatsoever with that post from MP, and I don't see why anyone would.
My thoughts exactly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1709 on: September 26, 2010, 06:48:45 AM »

Some guy commented "Shut up Mike, we don't care anymore", I lol'ed.

:lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1710 on: September 26, 2010, 06:55:18 AM »
I agree that that kind of activity is very childish, but I do find it a bit LOL-worthy that a guy who embraces the phrase "Eat my ass and balls" would tell other people to be classy. 

"Do as I say, not as I do!"  :lol :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1711 on: September 26, 2010, 07:05:32 AM »
I agree that that kind of activity is very childish, but I do find it a bit LOL-worthy that a guy who embraces the phrase "Eat my ass and balls" would tell other people to be classy. 

"Do as I say, not as I do!"  :lol :lol

Well, dude, look, I'm not gonna lie, I think the difference is that this didn't happen:

M. Shadows' phone rings. It's difficult for him, but he answers:

Shadows "Hello?"
Portnoy "Oh my god dude. I heard about The Rev dying, I'm so sorry."
Shadows "Thank you so much for calling. I wasn't sure how much it would have affected you and I-"
Portnoy "Listen man, it's okay. I wanted to tell you something."
Shadows "Yes?"
Portnoy "Eventually this will all get better, and I know how to start."
Shadows "Uh... Yeah?"
Portnoy "EAT MY ASS AND BALLS!!!"

*click*
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1712 on: September 26, 2010, 07:22:29 AM »
What MP needs to understand is that he DID piss off a lot of people with this decision. I'm sure he thought about the repercutions (sp?), but he clearly underestimated the effect of seeing them in writing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1713 on: September 26, 2010, 07:24:38 AM »
He made the decision, he must face the consequences of it. As ugly as some of them might be.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1714 on: September 26, 2010, 07:59:17 AM »
MP should just ignore such posts. They are just making him bad.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing