Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 514733 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1575 on: September 22, 2010, 01:35:35 AM »
I agree with you Snake Eyes, MP has made the decision, so if the new drummer works out brilliantly then that's kinda his own problem really. But if there any issues, or things don't gel as well as they did before, then Mike returning is a definite possibility.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1576 on: September 22, 2010, 08:42:50 AM »
All I want to say is that the new drummer must cherish this opportunity forever. It's a one in a lifetime opportunity to improve his skills by a 100%, like Derek. (Yeah, there are better drummers than Mike, but I think the technical side of DT can do a lot of goodness to any drummer.)

Offline SlickSy

« Reply #1577 on: September 22, 2010, 11:10:35 AM »
I wasn't too sure if this was worthy of its own thread so I decided to post it here. I found this on the Classic Rock website. It's interesting to see a former members opinion on Mike's departure.

Link: https://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/derek-sherinian-portnoy-will-return-to-dream-theater/

Quote from: Derek Sherinian
"I was more a little surprised, rather than shocked, at his departure. He’s been doing it for 25 years, and I know he wanted to take a break from the constant album-tour-album-tour cycle. He told the other guys that he wanted to take a break, but they told him, ‘We’re going into the studio, so shit or get off the pot’. So he left.

“However, this is Mike’s band. Knowing all the personalities involved, I’d expect them to do one album without him, using an interim drummer, and then he’ll be back. I wish all of them the best. I loved being in Dream Theater [1994-98], and we were such a powerful band.  But clearly Mike wants the time to explore other musical avenues.”

Quote from: Mikael Åkerfeldt
We are heavy metal... but with some beautiful acoustic parts. Some people say that's pussy. Those are the people that get no pussy.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1578 on: September 22, 2010, 11:19:30 AM »
I wasn't too sure if this was worthy of its own thread so I decided to post it here. I found this on the Classic Rock website. It's interesting to see a former members opinion on Mike's departure.

Link: https://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/derek-sherinian-portnoy-will-return-to-dream-theater/

Quote from: Derek Sherinian
"I was more a little surprised, rather than shocked, at his departure. He’s been doing it for 25 years, and I know he wanted to take a break from the constant album-tour-album-tour cycle. He told the other guys that he wanted to take a break, but they told him, ‘We’re going into the studio, so shit or get off the pot’. So he left.

“However, this is Mike’s band. Knowing all the personalities involved, I’d expect them to do one album without him, using an interim drummer, and then he’ll be back. I wish all of them the best. I loved being in Dream Theater [1994-98], and we were such a powerful band.  But clearly Mike wants the time to explore other musical avenues.”

Did anybody see this?

https://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/derek-sherinian-portnoy-will-return-to-dream-theater/

It was a page back. But I'm glad people are still seeing it. :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #1579 on: September 22, 2010, 12:12:28 PM »
DT is bigger than MP.

tl;dr = Deal with it.

F*cking this. Dream Theater is bigger than Mike Portnoy.

The hardest thing to learn in life is which bridge to cross and which... to burn.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #1580 on: September 22, 2010, 12:21:46 PM »

But you're talking about the guy who had the official DT forum shut-down because Train of Thought was being torn a new asshole.

If it wasn't for people wanting to carry on the site afterward, there wouldn't even be a place of DT fans to post freely.

I remember that. I was banned instantly for speaking my mind about the Train of Thought debacle.

The internet and freely communicating about whatever sh*t you want to discuss will rage on. And if it pertains to something personal, it will hurt (your ego) sometimes - including MP's as well.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #1581 on: September 22, 2010, 12:29:45 PM »
I know he's been through a lot lately (dad passing, keeping up the DT machine, side projects galore), but some of that is his own fault. Like, I am glad he did more music with TA, but I honestly think he should've stopped right there. Going on to do stuff with even more side projects is going to burn you out.

MP seems to be acting like this because he's been frustrated with too much stuff. It sounds like he needs to take a break from all music. The other DT members have been active away from DT, but nowhere near what MP has done. He could learn some wisdom about rest from those guys. That's why I don't really feel bad for MP at all.
Agreed. This is of Mike's own volition. Mike Portnoy needs a break from Mike Portnoy. I'm surprised but not shocked this has happened. But I do NOT feel sad about it and I do NOT feel sad for Mike Portnoy.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1582 on: September 22, 2010, 12:38:08 PM »

But you're talking about the guy who had the official DT forum shut-down because Train of Thought was being torn a new asshole.

If it wasn't for people wanting to carry on the site afterward, there wouldn't even be a place of DT fans to post freely.

I remember that. I was banned instantly for speaking my mind about the Train of Thought debacle.

The internet and freely communicating about whatever sh*t you want to discuss will rage on. And if it pertains to something personal, it will hurt (your ego) sometimes - including MP's as well.
If he runs the forum then ultimately it's up to him what can and cannot be discussed. If someone breaks the rules that are set down then they get banned.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #1583 on: September 22, 2010, 01:22:25 PM »
DT 1.0: John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, Charlie Dominici, Kevin Moore, John Myung
DT 2.0: John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, Kevin James LaBrie, Kevin Moore, John Myung
DT 3.0: John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, Kevin James LaBrie, Derek Sherinian, John Myung
DT 4.0: John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, Kevin James LaBrie, Jordan Rudess, John Myung
DT 5.0: John Petrucci, ?, Kevin James LaBrie, Jordan Rudess, John Myung

I'm very excited to see what Dream Theater 5.0 will bring to the table. VERY.

I wish the best for ALL parties involved. This is the best news I have heard about Dream Theater in a LONG time. Good times ahead as I can only assume that JLB, JP, JR, JM are ecstatic about going into the creative and recording sessions now that the shackles have been released.

With DT 5.0, it will be interesting to see a few things:

What kind of presence will the band have in the studio and out touring?
How will the fans react?
Who will be the 'voice' of DT?
Will the departure of Mike Portnoy be the for the better or for the worse of Dream Theater?

Time will only tell. 

I'm sure for some DT fans this will be A Nightmare to Remember and for others it will be The Best of Times. :metal

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1584 on: September 22, 2010, 05:08:50 PM »
We know his full name is Kevin James LaBrie, but why call him that when his artistic name is just James LaBrie? In that case, Michael T. Portnoy and Homer J. Simpson should be included, too.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1585 on: September 22, 2010, 06:42:31 PM »
Too soon for normal tweets  :D

Looks like MP is getting more tattoos and is staying fit
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1586 on: September 22, 2010, 06:59:13 PM »
His last set of tweets are kind of embarrassing in that "Hey guys...remember I'm still not in the band anymore...I left, guys! Anyone?", Facebook status attention seeking kinda way.

« Reply #1587 on: September 22, 2010, 07:09:24 PM »
His last set of tweets are kind of embarrassing in that "Hey guys...remember I'm still not in the band anymore...I left, guys! Anyone?", Facebook status attention seeking kinda way.

I guess it was indeed "too soon" for normal tweets... : (

Yeah, i feel bad for him, but at the same time, im selfish about him leaving DT :(.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1588 on: September 22, 2010, 07:22:51 PM »
Okay, that's it. Time to stop following Portnoy. It makes me sad to watch grown men act like children. You know, if you stop treating every bit of criticism that comes your way like it's a big deal, maybe it'd won't become such a big deal and you have a 'normal' life.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1589 on: September 22, 2010, 07:34:59 PM »
Honestly, I feel for Portnoy right now. He's left DT, he really hates it, he decided to start Tweeting/Facebooking about being with Ax7 which is what's going on in his life and he enjoys. And you know all these petulant DT fans are coming out of the woodwork going "WHY DID YOU LEAVE DT FOR AX7" "WHY ARE YOU PARTYING WITH THEM LIKE A LITTLE KID" "AX7 SUXXXXXXX."

How's he supposed to feel? Maybe he shouldn't take it personally, but I'm not there.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1590 on: September 22, 2010, 07:36:54 PM »
Portnoy always draws attention to the negativity, thereby making it worse. I understand why he feels the way he feels, but he could be handling it much better, or just simply ignoring it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1591 on: September 22, 2010, 07:38:01 PM »
Is there proof that people were actually complaining? The timestamps of his tweets screams attention seeker.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1592 on: September 22, 2010, 07:42:08 PM »

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1593 on: September 22, 2010, 07:47:18 PM »
Thank God I have this place to discuss MP's tweets. Over at his forum they just kiss his ass, and I'm sorry, that gets annoying.

Is it just me, or did 'broken hearted DT fans' sound sarcastic?
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1594 on: September 22, 2010, 07:49:02 PM »
Is there proof that people were actually complaining? The timestamps of his tweets screams attention seeker.

It was probably just the normal kind of stuff you see whenever anything new happens in the music world. Mike's just upset that no-one is fast enough to delete all the negativity for him before he logs onto his facebook/twitter/etc.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1595 on: September 22, 2010, 08:26:27 PM »
How exactly is MP partying with Avenged Sevenfold? He can't drink. It sure would be something awful if he relapsed after all these years and after just finishing the 12 Step Suite.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1596 on: September 22, 2010, 08:27:59 PM »
I love to drink on the right occasion, but you can certainly party and have a good time without alcohol.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1597 on: September 22, 2010, 08:31:06 PM »
Watching a bunch of drunken idiots while sober is not very fun.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1598 on: September 22, 2010, 08:32:08 PM »
I'm actually curious about that, since prior to this (less than a year ago) MP has said that he doesn't even put himself in environments where there's drinking. A7X seem like they're pretty big drinkers/possible drug users.

I guess I'm just curious. I wonder what "The Boys" do to party too.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1599 on: September 22, 2010, 08:32:44 PM »
Watching a bunch of drunken idiots while sober is not very fun.

As long as people aren't getting annoyingly drunk I find being the only sober person in a room full of drunk people to be very amusing.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1600 on: September 22, 2010, 08:42:17 PM »
I'm actually curious about that, since prior to this (less than a year ago) MP has said that he doesn't even put himself in environments where there's drinking. A7X seem like they're pretty big drinkers/possible drug users.

I guess I'm just curious. I wonder what "The Boys" do to party too.
My guess is get tattoos... MP seems to get a new one everyday.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1601 on: September 22, 2010, 08:56:13 PM »
Man, I feel ignorant saying this, because I love everything Mike did in DT, but I seem to be losing more and more respect for him everyday, and his Twitter isn't helping. JP on the other hand...
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1602 on: September 22, 2010, 08:58:45 PM »
Man, I feel ignorant saying this, because I love everything Mike did in DT, but I seem to be losing more and more respect for him everyday, and his Twitter isn't helping. JP on the other hand...

Exactly this.

Offline Slain

« Reply #1603 on: September 22, 2010, 09:03:05 PM »

I know, I feel the same way. I used to be the first one to get angry at anyone attacking him because of how much he did for the band, but as of late he has been losing my respect.

He needs to just MOVE ON. I feel like he doesn't even know any better than to feed the trolls, and say things like "The broken-hearted DT fans that are badmouthing my last tweet really need to lighten up...am I supposed to NOT ENJOY MY LIFE??? I'm Sorry." I mean, of course there are going to be fans that don't get it. But the truth is, that he needs to move on, and not even post about the whole situation. If he wants to post about doing things with A7X, he should do it. Just don't post things like that afterwards. Who cares what other people think, it's the internet, you'd think he would have learned that by now.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1604 on: September 22, 2010, 09:47:20 PM »
DT 2.0: John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, Kevin James LaBrie, Kevin Moore, John Myung
DT 3.0: John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, Kevin James LaBrie, Derek Sherinian, John Myung
DT 4.0: John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, Kevin James LaBrie, Jordan Rudess, John Myung

Strictly speaking, should the new incarnation of Dream Theater be "DT 6.0", with 1.0 including Chris Collins on vocals?
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1605 on: September 22, 2010, 09:53:10 PM »
I figure that since the first album came out with Charlie, that lineup was DT 1.0, so the Chris Collins lineup was like Beta DT 0.5 or something.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1606 on: September 22, 2010, 10:03:44 PM »

Strictly speaking, should the new incarnation of Dream Theater be "DT 6.0", with 1.0 including Chris Collins on vocals?

If you want to get THAT nitpicky, what about Steve Stone? Or Chris Cintron? Or the one show they played live with Jordan Rudess before they settled on Derek? At least those formations of the band were called Dream Theater, but with Chris Collins, they weren't even Dream Theater yet.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1607 on: September 22, 2010, 10:16:03 PM »
That's why they were still Beta DT.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1608 on: September 23, 2010, 12:27:58 AM »
Guys, please cut all this "MP should move on" crap. It's only been a couple of weeks since he made one of the hardest decisions of his life, so cut him some friggin slack. Most of you haven't even been alive for 25 years let alone part of a band, so you have no idea what he's going through. All this "he's so immature" stuff ends just makes you sound arrogant and ignorant.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1609 on: September 23, 2010, 12:33:29 AM »
^Since that's at least partially directed to me, I've gotta ask is it coming from "normal ariich," "moderator ariich," or both?

Because I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out how immature bitching via Twitter is, especially for grown people, but if it's crossing the line of "bashing former members" or whatever then I'll stop :police: