Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 516946 times)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1400 on: September 16, 2010, 06:23:58 PM »
He should drum in a Dream Theater tribute band :neverusethis:

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1401 on: September 16, 2010, 07:47:51 PM »
:yeahright

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
  • Waiting for the new Threshold album.
« Reply #1402 on: September 16, 2010, 08:05:55 PM »
I wonder what Ringo is doing these days?
It was there right before our eyes, we were blind not to realize
In the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom
We forgot how to criticize, we were scared to be demonized
As the truth was neutralized we lost the art of reason.

- Threshold "The Art of Reason"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1403 on: September 16, 2010, 08:08:25 PM »
Dying?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
  • Waiting for the new Threshold album.
« Reply #1404 on: September 16, 2010, 08:10:28 PM »
Dying?
I heard he was pretty upset about MP leaving DT, but I don't think it was that serious.
It was there right before our eyes, we were blind not to realize
In the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom
We forgot how to criticize, we were scared to be demonized
As the truth was neutralized we lost the art of reason.

- Threshold "The Art of Reason"

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1405 on: September 16, 2010, 08:34:02 PM »
I wonder what Ringo is doing these days?
I know he supports Megadeth, if that helps.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1406 on: September 16, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Portnoy saying his personal relationships weren't as good with the DT members is a major implication that something was wrong besides him just being tired of DT.  Odds are, the truth will come out in time.

Remember dirt comes out in the wash and eventually the shit talking will leak. The members will reach a level of frustration when Portnoy says the wrong thing publicly or does something disrespectful to the continuance of the band and the shits gunna hit the fan. Mark my words, it happens with every band and people love to talk about the drama. Sometimes way more than the music which is what most DT fans only care about. I am sure this will get uglier and then they will kiss an make up down the road...
 :corn

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1407 on: September 16, 2010, 10:21:49 PM »
Please show some sensitivity....this is even harder for me than you guys!

Sorry gang, I hate to be a party pooper...but all of the threads about "who should be the new DT drummer" is REALLY difficult for me to see right now....

I know it's all just creative and free discussion for you guys as drummers, DT/MP fans or simply general music fans...and this site is all about "freedom of speech" (or at least to the extent that Weymolith sees respectful and tasteful), but it's just too hard for me to sit here and read everybody's choices of "replacements" for me...

Remember, I didn't *WANT* to leave the band or have them continue without me....

And it's still very hard for me to sit back and watch this kind of discussion...

Right or wrong, no guy going through a divorce wants to watch some new guy immediately move into the home he built with his blood, sweat and tears for 25 years and f*ck his wife....

I know many of you (or at least on other sites) will say, "well then, you shouldn't have left"...but I NEVER wanted this outcome.....and to think of DT withOUT me breaks my heart....

I'm not trying to tell you guys what you can and cannot talk about....I'm just asking for some sensitivity for a little while....this is even harder for me than you guys!

Thanks for all your support and understanding everyone,
MP

:justjen

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1408 on: September 16, 2010, 10:26:16 PM »
Wtf? Ugh...

I'm sorry, not trying to blast on the guy but he needs to stop whining.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1409 on: September 16, 2010, 10:31:15 PM »
Actually, most people would probably feel the same way, no matter how much bravado they might try to put up, but when he says things like...

"Right or wrong, no guy going through a divorce wants to watch some new guy immediately move into the home he built with his blood, sweat and tears for 25 years and f*ck his wife...."

...it just reinforces the belief that some have that he thinks he did it all.  Yes, Mr. Portnoy, you built that home all by yourself. :facepalm:

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1410 on: September 16, 2010, 10:36:38 PM »
Was that in reference to posts on here or on MP forums?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1411 on: September 16, 2010, 10:37:19 PM »
Was that in reference to posts on here or on MP forums?

MP forums I assume, since he mentions Wey.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1412 on: September 16, 2010, 11:02:31 PM »
Yes, the MP forums.

I know it must be hard to leave something as big as DT and then watch how people are chirping about who's to replace you, but what else is to be expected? He's the one that walked away, DT is bigger than MP.

tl;dr = Deal with it.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1413 on: September 16, 2010, 11:18:42 PM »
Jeez. The more MP talks, the harder I find it to observe "no bashing band members, either previous or current" rule. And yet for every disappointing comment he makes, there's an equally cool comment somewhere else. He LEFT Dream Theater, but he wants people to think he was kicked-out, at least in principle. If anyone that's part of this split is fostering an Us vs. Them attitude, that person is without a doubt MP.

Without bashing, I think I can now safely say that MP is my least favorite DT member that's ever recorded a studio album with the band. I still like him, and I *love* Transatlantic and the showman that he is on stage and his dedication to fans and all-around "attitude" when playing music... but his continual beating this into the ground is becoming pretty classless, don't ya think?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1414 on: September 16, 2010, 11:24:07 PM »
Seriously. This is pretty ridiculous. Maybe MP should just take a break from the internet. I don't understand why he browses his DT forums if everything bugs him so much.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1415 on: September 16, 2010, 11:38:30 PM »
Seriously. This is pretty ridiculous. Maybe MP should just take a break from the internet. I don't understand why he browses his DT forums if everything bugs him so much.

I concur. Let's take his analogy of a divorce, for example... Being on the internet is like being in the neighborhood you lived in with your wife/where your house was. Being on the MP forums is like being at the house your wife lives in after the divorce. And reading certain posts that distress you is like watching the "new guy" "f*ck [your] wife"... You don't have to watch it - you don't have to read it.

People have opinions, and when something as passionate as music comes along, they'll voice those opinions regarding it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1416 on: September 16, 2010, 11:40:13 PM »
Of all the things he could have a problem with people talking about, he shouldn't be so shocked and down on people discussing replacement drummers. It's kind of bewildering in a way. Maybe it's finally starting to become real to him, like the fans really are ready to see what a DT without him at the helm can do. I know this is definitely speculation but do you think he might've expected a chunk of fans to declare themselves done with DT when he left?

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1417 on: September 16, 2010, 11:42:03 PM »

Exactly. If he browses his own forum (or other DT-related message boards), he should be aware of the consequences - ie seeing threads about DT's possible new drummer etc. He should either deal with it or not read it. Expecting the other members to "give it some time until discussions like this" is pretty disrespectful from his side, to be honest. Such a post shows - at least to me - that he is handling the situation very badly, especially compared to the other DT members.

I for one don't see any reason why our "DT's new drummer" thread should be closed.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1418 on: September 16, 2010, 11:46:03 PM »

Exactly. If he browses his own forum (or other DT-related message boards), he should be aware of the consequences - ie seeing threads about DT's possible new drummer etc. He should either deal with it or not read it. Expecting the other members to "give it some time until discussions like this" is pretty disrespectful from his side, to be honest. Such a post shows - at least to me - that he is handling the situation very badly, especially compared to the other DT members.

I for one don't see any reason why our "DT's new drummer" thread should be closed.

Agreed. It's not like JP and the rest would feel bad if there were discussions about "MP's New Band"  :lol

I know it's not quite the same thing, but you get my meaning. I'm sure the other guys aren't as excited as they may seem - their friend, bandmate, "brother" for 25 years decided to leave so I am sure they are having quite a time dealing with this themselves, but are very open to discussion about things moving forward.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #1419 on: September 16, 2010, 11:53:58 PM »
Of all the things he could have a problem with people talking about, he shouldn't be so shocked and down on people discussing replacement drummers. It's kind of bewildering in a way. Maybe it's finally starting to become real to him, like the fans really are ready to see what a DT without him at the helm can do. I know this is definitely speculation but do you think he might've expected a chunk of fans to declare themselves done with DT when he left?

Yeah, I did. Hence why I started the poll asking if people were going to continue to listen to DT without Portnoy. I was pleased and not at all surprised by the overwhelming majority saying "Yes", but I think Portnoy was expecting both the fans and his former bandmates to have a harder time with it.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1420 on: September 17, 2010, 12:02:31 AM »
MP is going a bit too far... At least I knew immediately that people would start speculating who's the new drummer. He shouldn't take it so seriously, people are just excited and can't wait to hear about his replacement. Maybe it was his band but if I left a famous band that I've been part of for a long time, I would be sure that people would be wondering about who will replace me.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1421 on: September 17, 2010, 02:22:05 AM »
You know what? i'm tired of all this whining on the part of MP. He's just behaving like a kid. You left the band, deal with it! I've even decided I would stop posting on MP forum and yet i like the guys a lot there! I cannot support HIS community any longer now. i'm fed up with all this. (Hope this will not be taken as bashing, don't want to be abnned from DT forums).
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1422 on: September 17, 2010, 02:41:57 AM »
I think like 50 people have registered since "the news" came down. I'm expected a pretty big forum migration later on, too. With things going as they are (I mean, Jeez, DT haven't even replaced Mike yet and topics talking about DT's future are already disappearing), I think that the situation is going to inevitably sour between Mike, DT, and the fans, and it's only a matter of time before the bans start getting handed out over at MPforums. Understandably so, as well. It's fairly obvious that stuff Mike doesn't like and stuff that generates even the slightest bit of controversy doesn't fly there. At all. And since that's Mike's house, it's his right to have the place run that way.

I'm not trying to bash MP forums at all, I'm just speculating that DT & MP fans are probably going to have to tread ever-so-lightly with all things DT related from now on, especially later in the future when things start happening in DT world.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1423 on: September 17, 2010, 03:02:11 AM »
I can see what you mean, PC, and I think the scenario you just depicted is pretty likely to happen. Judging from the history of the MP forum and how things are handled there, it won't be even that surprising imo.

Mentlegen.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1424 on: September 17, 2010, 03:48:44 AM »
Since we're on the topic of MP forums, it looks like someone's planning to murder Mike.

https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2577173.aspx

:omg:

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1425 on: September 17, 2010, 04:02:15 AM »
 :yeahright

Mentlegen.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #1426 on: September 17, 2010, 04:53:19 AM »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:....... >:( >:( >:( >:(

This is ridiculous...deal with it Mike, if it was a loooong and RATIONAL (according to some posters around here, not me) decision, then I'd suppose that you were preparing how to deal with these kind of reactions. But I just don't see it. Now we are seeing the first parts of his regret, as I said. In the future you will see the hate because the others wants to continue. Just wait and see, as I said. I just hope he forget the whole thing and start to bring us good music, the same with DT. And hey, you can always think about the whole stupid decision and return, now it's the time, then it's gonna be too late.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1427 on: September 17, 2010, 05:13:34 AM »
It's a natural topic for DT fans to discuss.  It LITERALLY has NOTHING to do with him.  He needs to get over it a little.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #1428 on: September 17, 2010, 05:24:18 AM »

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1429 on: September 17, 2010, 05:47:52 AM »
just posting to say I won't be discussing this topic again at this forum, and I'm not a member or my account died several years ago at his site.

Im surprised this thread is 40+ pages long...really....
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1430 on: September 17, 2010, 06:23:51 AM »
just posting to say I won't be discussing this topic again at this forum, and I'm not a member or my account died several years ago at his site.

Im surprised this thread is 40+ pages long...really....

Please tell me you mean MP.com... It'd really be said if you meant you're done with DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1431 on: September 17, 2010, 06:42:02 AM »
I hope DT find a replacement and are just as successful if not more, just to piss MP off.  Because it's quite clear he wants them to fail and come crawling back saying "you were right Mike, we'll take 10 years off is that's what you want."

How is he going to act when they actually get a replacement and start releasing new music???
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1432 on: September 17, 2010, 06:59:52 AM »
I don't get the whole censorship deal over at MP. Is he really that upset that people are imagining Dream Theater move on?
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1433 on: September 17, 2010, 07:02:34 AM »
Maybe MP should just take a break from the internet. I don't understand why he browses his DT forums if everything bugs him so much.
This this this!

First, the 12 Step Saga..
Next, the 5 Stages Of Grief Saga

Reading MP's post, it DOES sound like the band threw him out. But I really take him at his word that he needed a break.

Other than a few weeks in South America and 6 weeks with Maiden, DT has basically taken this entire year off. I can't help but think that MP could've used this time to repair some of these relationships. Like maybe go to JP's house and write a song' just the two of them... It would seem like a better use of this time than doing the A7X tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1434 on: September 17, 2010, 07:05:16 AM »
hmm LTE III

good idea
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.