Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509781 times)

Offline Aniland

Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1190 on: September 11, 2010, 01:44:52 PM »
Every Dream Theater album is actually secretly a concept album about Mike leaving the band. Moore figured it out, which is why Mike gave him the shaft.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1191 on: September 11, 2010, 01:49:51 PM »
Every Dream Theater album is actually secretly a concept album about Mike leaving the band. Moore figured it out, which is why Mike gave him the shaft.
:facepalm:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1192 on: September 11, 2010, 01:50:22 PM »
:therearenowords:

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1193 on: September 11, 2010, 03:40:05 PM »
I guess seeing TROAE, TGP & TDS in one show is as close to seeing 12Steps live as ill get for now.

How close have you guys got, have they even played repentance or TSF yet?

Matt
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 03:45:48 PM by MajorMatt »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1194 on: September 11, 2010, 03:43:08 PM »
Repentance was played in NY in '08. It's on the Fan Club CD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1195 on: September 11, 2010, 03:45:26 PM »
Repentance was played in NY in '08. It's on the Fan Club CD.

Ahh so they did.

Thanks,
Matt

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1196 on: September 11, 2010, 04:17:15 PM »
If given the choice between:

A) Dream goes on two year hiatus
B)  Dream Theater records new record in 1-11-11 and tours without MP

I would choose B.  Four-fifths of  Dream Theater is better than no parts Dream Theater (for two or more years).

At least I'll have something to tide me over until MP's eventual return.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #1197 on: September 11, 2010, 04:20:44 PM »
It's not going to go down well with the new drummer if MP is allowed to return to the band.

No, I think this is the end of Portnoy with DT.

Personally, I am glad to see DT taking a new direction. If there was anyone i'd want leaving DT from the current lineup, it's Mike.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1198 on: September 11, 2010, 05:35:28 PM »
After hearing MP's interview last night I don't think this will be permanent.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1199 on: September 11, 2010, 05:51:56 PM »
Who is to say that the rest of the band won't reconsider and just break up albeit temporarily? I can see the band over the next couple of months coming out and saying that ,

"As we get closer and closer to starting work on a new project, we can't help but feel more and more that we simply cannot go on as Dream Theater without Mike, so we have agreed to take a break and hopefully regroup bigger, better, and stronger in 2012."
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1200 on: September 11, 2010, 05:56:28 PM »
Who is to say that the rest of the band won't reconsider and just break up albeit temporarily? I can see the band over the next couple of months coming out and saying that ,

"As we get closer and closer to starting work on a new project, we can't help but feel more and more that we simply cannot go on as Dream Theater without Mike, so we have agreed to take a break and hopefully regroup bigger, better, and stronger in 2012."
I think, if that were ever even a possibility, things wouldn't've ended up like this.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1201 on: September 11, 2010, 06:05:32 PM »

I doubt it. This isn't Metallica. It's not like JP, JLB, JR and JM (wow that's a lot of J's) haven't played with tons of other musicians. They've all had plenty of experience with other drummers. It's not like Mike has been all they knew. Sure DT was always mike on drums, but I'm sure they can adapt.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1202 on: September 11, 2010, 10:10:07 PM »
:MP: I demand this to be taken down; he is no longer a member! :neverusethis:

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1203 on: September 11, 2010, 10:23:59 PM »
A statement by MP's sister on his forum:

Before I write this, understand that this is MY statement.  Mike might kill me for speaking up, but I just can't sit by quietly.  I guess I'm like Mike in that way.

PLEASE stop reading between the lines with this whole situation. There is no hidden meaning in all of this (is there ever with Mike?  The guy is an open book with his fans!!).  Everything Mike said in his interview with Eddie Trunk, in his press release or otherwise is everything he has been saying to me for the past year, at least.  He LOVES the other (DT) guys and their families.  They have grown up together, married women that were (and are) best friends, have raised their kids as best friends.  They are family.  This was not an easy decision for him as a drummer, founding band member (and band leader) or person. 

Let's put 25 years into perspective.  I am 40.  I met John and John when I was 15.  How many friends do I still have that I have had to live AND work with for the past 25 years?  Not a single one.  I can't imagine looking at the same group of people for that many years and being able to come up with new, fun ideas (that will then be judged the world over).  My friends and I get stuck on doing the same things on random weekend gatherings!     

Remember, this is strictly my perspective here...

You'd think that being a rock star would be 100% fun 100% of the time.  But I know that Mike works extremely hard and takes every bit of this experience to heart.  You might think you know, but you have no idea (to borrow a line from Behind the Music).  It is a part of who he is as a person, it is definitely not just a job.  He's been running at a pace (WITH DREAM THEATER) most people couldn't keep up for a few months, much less 25 years.  He just wants a break.  He wants to have the chance to play with other musicians and be reminded of how special this all is.  He wants to have fun and not be in charge of every detail for a bit.  (And for those of you thinking he should just let others take the reins in DT, all I'll say is that you have no idea what you are talking about.) 

The way I see it, it's not a matter of Mike not wanting to be in DT (Remember, he DOES want to be in DT... he NEVER wanted or planned to leave the band).  Giving up Dream Theater must be like giving up a child for him.  I know it's been horribly painful.  But I am extremely proud of him for recognizing that he needs to be reinvigorated and for doing what he needs to do to make that happen.  You know Mike.  He does not do anything half-assed.  He wants every drop of music that Dream Theater releases to be perfect and fulfilling for everyone.  Right now, he is guaranteeing that he can't do that.  Maybe (apparently) the other guys don't feel the same about this situation, I can't speak to that, but he knows that he needs a break to be able to bring the best of himself to the table.  There is no alterier motive.  He genuinely just needs a break.  He needs a break that allows him to find new inspiration and have some down time.  When he has done his other side projects, if you think he was not also working on DT stuff, you'd be incredibly mistaken.   

I guess I got a bit long-winded there... sorry, but it's torture to sit back and watch my brother getting ripped apart or criticized for making this incredibly INCREDIBLY hard choice.  And for those of you who are supporting/understanding of his decision, I want you to know HOW MUCH it is appreciated. 

Thanks for listening...
~ Sam

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #1204 on: September 11, 2010, 10:34:27 PM »
How irritating.  Not that she's defending her brother, but that she doesn't understand why people (at least me, personally, and I'm sure other people) have criticized him.  It's not that he wanted to leave DT.  That's his choice and I even understand the reasons.  It's that he's TRYING TO PIN IT ON THE OTHER GUYS.  He should just be a man and say, "I WANT TO DO OTHER THINGS," not, "Well, uh, THEY put ME in this position," as if their careers and livelihoods aren't as important as his.  So, yeah.... NO.  

edit..

I can reword this or delete it if it seems inflammatory.... really wasn't meant to be.  Mods - delete it if necessary or tell me to modify it and it will be done. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1205 on: September 11, 2010, 10:43:59 PM »
I see merit in what she said. As well as what everyone has said. Luckily, DT's hardcore fan-base seems to be made up of fairly intelligent people. Perhaps this brand of music attracts that sort of mind. Everyone's got different stances and biases towards this. Most of them are not unfounded. I don't think we'll ever even get close to having a union of feeling toward this. I think we're all just gonna take our places and wait and see what happens. The bombshell effect has, for the most part, finished. We are now waiting for the next big chunk of news. That may be an announcement on a new drummer...or that the band is breaking up...or that Mike isn't leaving after all. But, as of now, most of us appear to have made up our minds on the events as they have unfolded thus fat. It's simply a matter of waiting and seeing what happens next.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1206 on: September 12, 2010, 03:21:56 AM »
I do see what she's saying, though this one bit kind of annoyed me.

(And for those of you thinking he should just let others take the reins in DT, all I'll say is that you have no idea what you are talking about.) 
But... that's what's actually happening. I don't know why she's kind of snidely going "pff, let's see THAT happen," when that's exactly what they're doing, now.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1207 on: September 12, 2010, 03:43:36 AM »

(And for those of you thinking he should just let others take the reins in DT, all I'll say is that you have no idea what you are talking about.) 
But... that's what's actually happening. I don't know why she's kind of snidely going "pff, let's see THAT happen," when that's exactly what they're doing, now.
My thoughts exactly. Must you always be right about everything Rob?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1208 on: September 12, 2010, 03:47:20 AM »
I agree with rob. Of course, as his sister, she's bound to be a bit biased at least, but I think she's taking the defending thing a bit too far.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1209 on: September 12, 2010, 04:08:14 AM »
I don't think any of them need defending, Mike included.  They are all grown men, and they have all made their decisions.  They will live or die with the consequences of the decisions they've made.  That's it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1210 on: September 12, 2010, 04:22:38 AM »
Man it's kinda fun watching everyone's frustrations with Mike start to bubble over (not fun for Mike, of course).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: September 12, 2010, 04:25:18 AM »

I really hope this doesn't happen.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1212 on: September 12, 2010, 04:29:28 AM »

I really hope this doesn't happen.
Me too.  And frankly, after all of the assurances they have put out in the last few days, including all of the good will that JP has engendered with his Q & A sessions, that would be a PR nightmare.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline AngusT

« Reply #1213 on: September 12, 2010, 04:33:57 AM »
Sad news.   :'(

I wish the best to all of them and hope for more awesome music.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1214 on: September 12, 2010, 04:34:03 AM »

My thoughts exactly. Must you always be right about everything Rob?
Haha, that's a relief. I looked back and was worried I was being a bit harsh. Almost edited it.

The rest is fine! Good! I agree with her even. There's an inherent danger in reading too much into things, as you can end up treating people as though they've said things that they explicitly haven't. He's been very gracious in giving a half hour interview, and although it's just one side of the story, we should make sure we take our guesses with a pinch of salt. (and we're right to guess! we care about things we could never know, guessing isn't so much "clutching at straws" as "all we've got") But I think it's a bit low to go "oh, the band can't exist without my brother and you'd be silly and ignorant to think otherwise." They can, do, and will.

It's not so much "no idea what we're talking about," more "an accurate historical representation of current events."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: September 12, 2010, 04:43:46 AM »
Yeah... I'm not gonna bash Mike's sister because I can understand her coming to the defense of her brother. Though it was completely unnecessary. And, honestly, only reinforced the incorrect assumption that Mike's a control-freak and that the other guys in DT aren't "good enough" to run the show.

Offline welshexile1963

« Reply #1216 on: September 12, 2010, 04:53:35 AM »
Oh man this was like a kick in the nuts! MP no longer in DT?! Is it DT without MP? I dont know what to say or think  ???

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1217 on: September 12, 2010, 04:55:35 AM »
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1218 on: September 12, 2010, 05:17:35 AM »

You know what? I see it differently : my guess is that she implies, in defense of her brother, that he does NOT have the reins all for himself, but that the others have them also. Now, I may be wrong of course.
BTW, I find it also a little harsh implying that Poor Little Mike ONLY is the victim. After all, what she has to keep in mind is that it's MP who left. And TBH, MP does not appear to me as having the status of victim.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1219 on: September 12, 2010, 05:20:54 AM »
Its funny how she says she's tired of everyone reading between the lines of MP's statement, only for everyone to read between the lines on her statement.

Bit of a funny thing there.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: September 12, 2010, 05:22:02 AM »
Mike can't do anything without making it into a big deal. Not meaning that in a bad way at all, either. But, I mean, did anyone really think he would or could just leave quietly and have that be it?

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1221 on: September 12, 2010, 05:22:41 AM »
Its funny how she says she's tired of everyone reading between the lines of MP's statement, only for everyone to read between the lines on her statement.

Bit of a funny thing there.

It's because we're all funny guys, you know. :rollin
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1222 on: September 12, 2010, 05:35:40 AM »

You know what? I see it differently : my guess is that she implies, in defense of her brother, that he does NOT have the reins all for himself, but that the others have them also. Now, I may be wrong of course.
BTW, I find it also a little harsh implying that Poor Little Mike ONLY is the victim. After all, what she has to keep in mind is that it's MP who left. And TBH, MP does not appear to me as having the status of victim.
Hmm, you know what, I'm actually with you on that one. MP did a hell of a lot of work with DT but he certainly wasn't controlling the band. The way she worded it was almost saying "You people are being so ridiculous I'm not even going to dignify it with a full response".

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1223 on: September 12, 2010, 05:45:26 AM »
^I got that vibe as well.^

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #1224 on: September 12, 2010, 05:57:04 AM »
With everything that has been said, I think this is the right decision for the band.

There are plenty of great drummers out there who can perform to the level of Portnoy, do not doubt that for a second. He will be missed, but DT can start a new chapter in their careers, and i'm interested now more than ever to hear something fresh, without the influence of Portnoy.

Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.