Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509761 times)

Offline Aniland

Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1050 on: September 10, 2010, 09:20:02 AM »
Given that Petrucci said that everything went down on Wednesday, the fact that the split was announced on Wednesday night, that seems a little weird.  If you're Portnoy, why not sleep on it for a few days in case you change your mind before saying anything to the public?  Granted, we all we know, he might be 100% confident in his decision, so why wait, but it just seems like one of those massive life decisions that are best mulled over instead of being made hastily and then revealed to everyone so quickly. 

Because he's probably slept on it for months. Just because it's new to us doesn't mean it's new to him.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #1051 on: September 10, 2010, 09:45:31 AM »
I wonder what Kevin Moore has to say about this.

Nothing, and who gives a fuck.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1052 on: September 10, 2010, 09:59:23 AM »
Given that Petrucci said that everything went down on Wednesday, the fact that the split was announced on Wednesday night, that seems a little weird.  If you're Portnoy, why not sleep on it for a few days in case you change your mind before saying anything to the public?  Granted, we all we know, he might be 100% confident in his decision, so why wait, but it just seems like one of those massive life decisions that are best mulled over instead of being made hastily and then revealed to everyone so quickly. 

Because he's probably slept on it for months. Just because it's new to us doesn't mean it's new to him.

I am sure that is true, but Petrucci did say it all went down on Wednesday, so announcing his departure the same day still seems awfully hasty (assuming what JP said is true, and not him taking the high road and not flinging mud).

Some of us would be curious to hear Kevin Moore's take on things.  We aren't gonna get it :lol, but some of us would like to hear it.

Offline John94

« Reply #1053 on: September 10, 2010, 10:04:13 AM »
I think Kevin Moores feelings about Mike Portnoy leaving can be summed up by these quotes.

Now that you're gone I'm trying to take it
Learning to swallow the rage

This is not how I want it to end

It would probably end by him saying that he could never be open again.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1054 on: September 10, 2010, 10:08:47 AM »
Some of us would be curious to hear Kevin Moore's take on things.  We aren't gonna get it :lol, but some of us would like to hear it.

I'd be curious, and I'm sure he's had some thoughts about it. That is, if he even knows. At the same time, the idea of him coming out to make a comment about DT NOW would seem kinda pathetic to me.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #1055 on: September 10, 2010, 10:11:24 AM »

I am sure that is true, but Petrucci did say it all went down on Wednesday, so announcing his departure the same day still seems awfully hasty (assuming what JP said is true, and not him taking the high road and not flinging mud).

If Mike had known for ages then he was probably ready to announce it by Wednesday. If he was going to announce it then surely it only makes sense for the band to announce it at the same time rather than waiting.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1056 on: September 10, 2010, 10:47:07 AM »
jeez! I was kidding

You can't yet.  It's still too early to joke about.  Sorry.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #1057 on: September 10, 2010, 10:50:14 AM »

But really...everybody needs to stop saying things like "Portnoy will realize his mistake!".
Hey dude, it's my opinion. I really think it that way.

Then state it as an opinion, not a fact.

So you want everyone to go around putting 'IMO' at the end of all their posts? If someone's posting it then ofc it's gonna be what they think. People are allowed to say what they think, whether you disagree with it or not. I notice you're not posting your opinions as opinions, just as normal posts. Why should anyone have to do anything different?
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1058 on: September 10, 2010, 10:54:33 AM »

But really...everybody needs to stop saying things like "Portnoy will realize his mistake!".

So you want everyone to go around putting 'IMO' at the end of all their posts? If someone's posting it then ofc it's gonna be what they think. People are allowed to say what they think, whether you disagree with it or not. I notice you're not posting your opinions as opinions, just as normal posts. Why should anyone have to do anything different?
lol<3

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #1059 on: September 10, 2010, 10:55:18 AM »
it's all about you, not me comes on when i'm thinking MP, hahaha you're right buddy.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1060 on: September 10, 2010, 10:58:47 AM »

Oh, come on.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1061 on: September 10, 2010, 11:08:13 AM »

Kev, mabye I'm wrong but didn't someone post that they've been talking to Portnoy for the last 2 weeks about not leaving?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1062 on: September 10, 2010, 11:12:13 AM »
This is kind of related but more so in terms of how the forums work here... will all non-DT MP discussion take place here in this forum? Or should it be done in the General Music Discussion forum, as has been done with JLB's upcoming solo album? Just something to point out that I don't think has been pointed out yet... Perhaps there can be a DT-Member-Related Music Discussion forum? Sure it won't have a lot in it (well, it might soon considering JLB's Static Impulse, the third Jelly Jam album, JP's solo album, and whatever MP has coming up on the horizon), but it'd be a good way to keep all those topics in one area so people won't have to sift through things here and in GMD.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1063 on: September 10, 2010, 11:13:15 AM »

I don't think being diplomatic and saying what you think in a forthright and clear manner are mutually exclusive. Nor is the process limited to suffixing your posts with "IMO."

I don't tend to find myself very fond of people who speak in absolutes. If you don't mean to be taken literally, then write the words you mean. People will only take away what's there, for starters, but I also usually find people like that a lot more gracious and likeable.

Besides which, if everyone expressed their opinions as facts... how would anyone be able to distinguish the facts from the speculation? They're completely different things. A fact needs a binary opposite for "factiness" to have any innate significance. If someone states their opinion as a fact, then I'm going to assume that they want it to be read as an absolute. If I've read the words comprehensively and thoroughly, and still not read what was intended to be expressed, then the mistake's in the writing.

Sorry. Bit of a purist. Maybe it's my problem. But I myself find it difficult to sympathise with people who complain about being misunderstood, when if they'd written what they meant in the first place they wouldn't've been. The person complaining has usually precisely understood exactly the words that were typed: it's a miswriting rather than a misunderstanding.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1064 on: September 10, 2010, 11:21:28 AM »
But rob, if he is talking about an event to happen in the future, such as the above example (Portnoy will realize his mistake), then it obviously isn't a fact.  Unless the poster is harboring a heretofore unrecognized divine nature, that kind of comment would ipso facto be an opinion.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1065 on: September 10, 2010, 11:26:07 AM »
But rob, if he is talking about an event to happen in the future, such as the above example (Portnoy will realize his mistake), then it obviously isn't a fact.  Unless the poster is harboring a heretofore unrecognized divine nature, that kind of comment would ipso facto be an opinion.
Oh yeah, definitely. I'm responding to BodiesinFlight's statement, rather than the specific example cited.

That said, I think even a prediction, when expressed as fact can come across as being very dismissive of other possibilities. "Ohhh, Person A is obviously going to transform into a leaf." "How can you know that?" "Come on." I do think it's generally prudent, even with predictive opinions, to show at least a certain degree of humility.

Anyway! We digress.

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #1066 on: September 10, 2010, 11:45:21 AM »

Kev, mabye I'm wrong but didn't someone post that they've been talking to Portnoy for the last 2 weeks about not leaving?
It was someone claiming they were petrucci's brother in law. But from JP's recent posts it seems like it only just happend so that guy was obviously making it up.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #1067 on: September 10, 2010, 11:46:33 AM »
Oh yeah, definitely. I'm responding to BodiesinFlight's statement, rather than the specific example cited.

That said, I think even a prediction, when expressed as fact can come across as being very dismissive of other possibilities. "Ohhh, Person A is obviously going to transform into a leaf." "How can you know that?" "Come on." I do think it's generally prudent, even with predictive opinions, to show at least a certain degree of humility.

Anyway! We digress.

I appreciate your point Rob, I just think that it's ridiculous for people to have to change the wording of their posts to make sure everyone understands that what they might be saying is an opinion and not a fact. I think to do otherwise kinda negates the point of being a forum if you see what I mean.

Sorry! I've digressed again  :lol
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1068 on: September 10, 2010, 11:47:54 AM »
I had to take a day off from DTF to let this news sink in, and I am still very sad. I cannot believe Mike is leaving, out of all people I did not expect it to be him. Now I do applaud him for following his heart, this could not have been an easy decision in the least, as I am sure he thought it through from all points of view, including us the fans. I wish him all the luck, except I hope he returns sometime in the future to play with Dream Theater. Good luck Mike, thanks for all the great music you have helped Dream Theater make.

Offline Norwood

• Keep it all in perspective.
« Reply #1069 on: September 10, 2010, 11:56:45 AM »
I wonder how will their newest album be recieved...maybe things are cooling down a bit on this forum and we're getting somewhat more rational, but thousands of fans throughout the world (and Portnoy diehards) are probably not going to support a Portnoy-less DT a lot..

I don't see myself supporting them without him.

And I can't see myself supporting Avenged Sevenfold, they sound like a typical alternative rock band...some kind of Staind or something boring.

This sucks.

[[--Comic Nut's Jar--]]  --  Comics.Politics.Computers  --  [[--The Sneakernet--]]  --  Computers.Toys.Geekdom

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1070 on: September 10, 2010, 12:09:32 PM »
I wonder how will their newest album be recieved...maybe things are cooling down a bit on this forum and we're getting somewhat more rational, but thousands of fans throughout the world (and Portnoy diehards) are probably not going to support a Portnoy-less DT a lot..

I don't see myself supporting them without him.

And I can't see myself supporting Avenged Sevenfold, they sound like a typical alternative rock band...some kind of Staind or something boring.

This sucks.

Ok, well nice knowing you.

And A7X are very clearly a metal band.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1071 on: September 10, 2010, 12:13:36 PM »

Metal, maybe. But not that clearly. You've got to admit they have been incorporating more pop/alternative elements to their music since City of Evil (Seize the Day, M.I.A.), and even Waking the Fallen (Remenissions, this is a really good song though).

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1072 on: September 10, 2010, 12:21:17 PM »
After taking a day off them to take in the news, I am now listening to Metropolis Pt. 1. Whatever band he plays in, MP is one hell of a drummer.

The both of you will (someone harmonise with me!  ;)) BE CONFINED!!!  :metal

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #1073 on: September 10, 2010, 12:32:56 PM »

Metal, maybe. But not that clearly. You've got to admit they have been incorporating more pop/alternative elements to their music since City of Evil (Seize the Day, M.I.A.), and even Waking the Fallen (Remenissions, this is a really good song though).

They were metal but they're more hard rock these days I suppose.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1074 on: September 10, 2010, 12:37:19 PM »
Regarding Kev's question, I would imagine that the idea of a break or longer hiatus has been discussed for longer, but the actual decision to part ways happened very suddenly on Wednesday. That's my understanding anyway.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1075 on: September 10, 2010, 12:39:20 PM »

They were metal but they're more hard rock these days I suppose.
Coming to think about it, I agree.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #1076 on: September 10, 2010, 12:40:58 PM »
Regarding Kev's question, I would imagine that the idea of a break or longer hiatus has been discussed for longer, but the actual decision to part ways happened very suddenly on Wednesday. That's my understanding anyway.

This actually, now I think about it.
ariich to the rescue!
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1077 on: September 10, 2010, 01:06:42 PM »
I wonder whether mp.com will enforce some kind of separation of topics from now on.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1078 on: September 10, 2010, 01:07:19 PM »
The smugest forum I've ever been to?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1079 on: September 10, 2010, 01:11:10 PM »
Ugh dude. Can you post a single post without inciting things?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #1080 on: September 10, 2010, 01:11:53 PM »
I still can't register on the JP forum and have forgotten my login for MP forum

Of all the times for that to happen... ::)
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1081 on: September 10, 2010, 01:25:21 PM »

From what I understand, JP has shut down registration for the time being on his forum.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #1082 on: September 10, 2010, 01:26:30 PM »

From what I understand, JP has shut down registration for the time being on his forum.

Yeah, so I gather, fair enough I suppose. Thought he might have allowed it again by now.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1083 on: September 10, 2010, 01:27:44 PM »
If he is smart he will leave it closed for a few months. You don't want people joining simply because they want to ask him a question, and it will be nice for those who have been there a long time to get some time to enjoy this new perk.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #1084 on: September 10, 2010, 01:40:22 PM »

Jeez, I thought Kevin Moore was enough of a joke for this to be taken the opposite of seriously.

*looks at post count*

Oh, you're just a nub. Understandable. Carry on.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3