Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509927 times)

Offline RazielSR

Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1015 on: September 10, 2010, 04:14:26 AM »
Yeah I'm not a huge Strato fan now, but I was fairly into them when shit first started going down, and it wasn't cool at all. However, Timo Tolkki is an absolute nutter, whereas while Mike can be impulsive and say what's on his mind too readily, he's a decent, caring guy, so I don't think it would ever get anything like that.

Plus, the full list of questions that JP has answered (later in that thread) fills me with a lot of hope that things will be fine once it all settles down. :)

Tolkki had mental problems, nobody is sure if he still having that problems or not, but it seems he had (has) some kind of bipolar disorder. the story was more or less:

1- Tolkki's idea about a stunt saying that Stratovarius is no more in 2004 and firing Kotipelto and bringing a female singer (all the band agreed with that stunt). Tolkki simulate an stabbing in a concert in a Spain festival. All was a fake.

2- In 2005 reunion and selftitled album (a mediocre album without spirit).

3- In 2007, announce for a new album called Revolution Renaissance and a promised back to the roots album with Visions style. Bad live performances around that era, specially in Wacken (a horrible performance). Last concert with Tolkki in Madrid. The album was never released by Stratovarius.

4- In April 2008, Tolkki says Stratovarius is no more and a flame wars starts everywhere (the press, official forums, face to face). he says that what happened in 2004 was a stunt and the stabbing was a fake.

5- One month later, the rest of the band says that they are gonna continue. Tolkki got mad and saying that's not fair and that Stratovarius was his creation and he composed 98% of the songs (that's true). But the people (we, the fans) wanted them to continue. (My first topic in this forum was to demand help for an online signature I created, yes a silly thing but I was desperated).

6-They bring a new guitarrist called Matias Kupianen, a young promise from Finland. More prog oriented guy, mixed with typical power metal style.

7-New album Polaris released in May 2009. Very good acceptance and good reviews. People happy again and waiting for the new Polaris tour that ended some months ago. They have been touring a lot around europe and a lot of gigs are scheduled for 2011 (including a tour with Helloween). New album coming on February/March 2011.

8-Tolkki in 2008 formed a band called Revolution Renaissance (yes... the name of the supposed Stratovarius album in 2007). And with an album called New Era, he used Kiske, Sammet and Rantanen to sing the songs that were for the Stratovarius album. Then,in 2009 he released with new members an album called Age of Aquarius. Then he announced for this September another new album called Trinity. Some weeks ago he said Revolution Renaissance is no more because of the poor interest in the band and because nobody was able to get some decent gigs.

9-Now he is wandering without band and have no idea wht the future holds.

10-Stratovarius rules. He wanted to leave, so bye bye.

I recommend you to listen Polaris album (if you feel like, of course). It mix some new ideas with old ideas. It was an strange album for them but very important, cause it was the album that told them "hey, you can do it without the mainman". And they did it, now the band is plenty of new ideas and creativity, everybody is composing (TT was the only composer in Stratovarius).

I see this happening with DT. But I don't want to see bad things and flame wars happening, in Stratovarius that was mad. The official forums had fights with Tolkki and the rest, etc, etc.

Sorry for the off topic, but it's incredible how familiar all this is for me (not the part of the stunt).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 04:39:00 AM by RazielSR »

Offline the-glass-prison

« Reply #1016 on: September 10, 2010, 04:21:33 AM »
If you haven't seen it already, check the reactions from JP and JLB in this thread: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=16450.0

Definitely indicates that there's no personal friction between the guys (particularly JP and MP), which supports those of us who believe that Mike in particular is just feeling upset about the whole thing but that there's nothing boiling under the surface.

Ariich, I have just been reading JP's comments over on the JP forum and I have to say I am feeling so much better than I was yesterday about the whole thing. It's great to know that JP is still as hungry as ever to make DT work and give it 1000%. Rest assured, they will get a drummer that is more than capable of producing the goods.

Mike will eventually realise that he has made the wrong move. Like JP, I too think that this will only hit him when he sees a stranger sitting on his seat! Here's to the next chapter Interesting times ahead.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #1017 on: September 10, 2010, 04:43:48 AM »
[

Mike will eventually realise that he has made the wrong move.

You can be sure, he will, and more than we think.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1018 on: September 10, 2010, 04:55:46 AM »
No. He said somewhere that he used to go out and visit, but now he just uses his free time to relax and to get some rest.

I can't believe you guys are speculating on him drinking again. Hell, he left Dream Theater because he needs a break, not because he's now a party animal.

Nothing about the MP situation has made me sad, but if he were to start drinking again, that would do the trick. I can't imagine hearing of a larger "hero's downfall".

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1019 on: September 10, 2010, 05:04:49 AM »
Also, though I'm sure a Dream Theater flame war would never happen, it's a funny image in my head, because...it's like imagining the clash of the titans. The battle of the gods. John Peh-truck-see would maul about 40 youths upon baldhead Rudess (major props to whoever gets the reference).

But really...everybody needs to stop saying things like "Portnoy will realize his mistake!". Do you think he hasn't thought about this 24/7? He's got OCD, and he probably couldn't stop thinking about it the moment it popped into his head. This is something he has no doubt scrutinized, and I doubt he is going to come back after making such a strong and personal decision.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1020 on: September 10, 2010, 05:13:45 AM »
Yeah I'm not a huge Strato fan now, but I was fairly into them when shit first started going down, and it wasn't cool at all. However, Timo Tolkki is an absolute nutter, whereas while Mike can be impulsive and say what's on his mind too readily, he's a decent, caring guy, so I don't think it would ever get anything like that.

Plus, the full list of questions that JP has answered (later in that thread) fills me with a lot of hope that things will be fine once it all settles down. :)

Tolkki had mental problems, nobody is sure if he still having that problems or not, but it seems he had (has) some kind of bipolar disorder. the story was more or less:

1- Tolkki's idea about a stunt saying that Stratovarius is no more in 2004 and firing Kotipelto and bringing a female singer (all the band agreed with that stunt). Tolkki simulate an stabbing in a concert in a Spain festival. All was a fake.

2- In 2005 reunion and selftitled album (a mediocre album without spirit).

3- In 2007, announce for a new album called Revolution Renaissance and a promised back to the roots album with Visions style. Bad live performances around that era, specially in Wacken (a horrible performance). Last concert with Tolkki in Madrid. The album was never released by Stratovarius.

4- In April 2008, Tolkki says Stratovarius is no more and a flame wars starts everywhere (the press, official forums, face to face). he says that what happened in 2004 was a stunt and the stabbing was a fake.

5- One month later, the rest of the band says that they are gonna continue. Tolkki got mad and saying that's not fair and that Stratovarius was his creation and he composed 98% of the songs (that's true). But the people (we, the fans) wanted them to continue. (My first topic in this forum was to demand help for an online signature I created, yes a silly thing but I was desperated).

6-They bring a new guitarrist called Matias Kupianen, a young promise from Finland. More prog oriented guy, mixed with typical power metal style.

7-New album Polaris released in May 2009. Very good acceptance and good reviews. People happy again and waiting for the new Polaris tour that ended some months ago. They have been touring a lot around europe and a lot of gigs are scheduled for 2011 (including a tour with Helloween). New album coming on February/March 2011.

8-Tolkki in 2008 formed a band called Revolution Renaissance (yes... the name of the supposed Stratovarius album in 2007). And with an album called New Era, he used Kiske, Sammet and Rantanen to sing the songs that were for the Stratovarius album. Then,in 2009 he released with new members an album called Age of Aquarius. Then he announced for this September another new album called Trinity. Some weeks ago he said Revolution Renaissance is no more because of the poor interest in the band and because nobody was able to get some decent gigs.

9-Now he is wandering without band and have no idea wht the future holds.

10-Stratovarius rules. He wanted to leave, so bye bye.

I recommend you to listen Polaris album (if you feel like, of course). It mix some new ideas with old ideas. It was an strange album for them but very important, cause it was the album that told them "hey, you can do it without the mainman". And they did it, now the band is plenty of new ideas and creativity, everybody is composing (TT was the only composer in Stratovarius).

I see this happening with DT. But I don't want to see bad things and flame wars happening, in Stratovarius that was mad. The official forums had fights with Tolkki and the rest, etc, etc.

Sorry for the off topic, but it's incredible how familiar all this is for me (not the part of the stunt).

This was one of the most amazing soap operas the world of metal has ever seen.  I was a huge Strato fan and I really loved every minute of this.  I would be looking for updates just to see what was gonna happen next.

Oh and Jens pissing on Tolkki in concert was hilarious.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #1021 on: September 10, 2010, 05:23:35 AM »

This was one of the most amazing soap operas the world of metal has ever seen.  I was a huge Strato fan and I really loved every minute of this.  I would be looking for updates just to see what was gonna happen next.

looooool, yes. And when the band Revolution Renaissance was created, there was a website and a forum and Tolkki registered there just to say that "a friend of him" told him bad things about the new line up, etc, etc. He made a guitar contest cause he wanted to donate as a gift one of his ESP (he donate the Stratocasters a while ago), but the winner of that contest (a spanish guy) has never received the guitar XD. Then you had his first myspace that was hacked and plenty of statements saying that he loved the new album Polaris, etc, etc Hey, I have tons and tons of things to say, but of course that's off topic. But it was hilarious and sad.

But the most funny thing in Stratovarius history was when Jens blowed up a nasty toilet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr4T4UzFB4Q

I love this man hahaha, I had a lot of laughs with him in Madrid in the last concert I went. He is so funny and smart.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #1022 on: September 10, 2010, 05:27:11 AM »

But really...everybody needs to stop saying things like "Portnoy will realize his mistake!".
Hey dude, it's my opinion. I really think it that way.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1023 on: September 10, 2010, 05:51:56 AM »
There have been loads of threads about Mike's departure and many of them have been locked so I think this belongs here (I don't know if someone has mentioned this, anyway):

How will they do the backing vocals live without him? I don't think there are many drummers that are as great as Mike and sing backing vocals. Of course, JP is still in the band but what will happen to songs like Constant Motion where Mike had many vocal parts? Maybe Jordan should start singing backing vocals (at least in the songs where 2 backing vocalists are needed)!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1024 on: September 10, 2010, 05:53:08 AM »
Listening to The Killing Hand... (studio) and i just realized... that recording includes more former members than current

:-[ :| :(
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #1025 on: September 10, 2010, 05:54:37 AM »
There have been loads of threads about Mike's departure and many of them have been locked so I think this belongs here (I don't know if someone has mentioned this, anyway):

How will they do the backing vocals live without him? I don't think there are many drummers that are as great as Mike and sing backing vocals. Of course, JP is still in the band but what will happen to songs like Constant Motion where Mike had many vocal parts? Maybe Jordan should start singing backing vocals (at least in the songs where 2 backing vocalists are needed)!

Well, I suppose it's gonna be Petrucci? Or they will skip that kind of songs?

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1026 on: September 10, 2010, 05:58:18 AM »

I think that at least A Nightmare to Remember won't be played anymore. It'd be hilarious to see JP or JR doing that RRROOOOAAAARRR!! part!  :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1027 on: September 10, 2010, 05:58:39 AM »
I can't quite picture JR singing MPs parts in Constant Motion  :|
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: September 10, 2010, 06:00:13 AM »
I can't quite picture JR singing MPs parts in Constant Motion  :|
I can't imagine anyone but Mike himself doing those parts. Maybe it'll be played again if they'll do some reunion shows in the future.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #1029 on: September 10, 2010, 06:00:32 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1030 on: September 10, 2010, 06:04:14 AM »

I think that at least A Nightmare to Remember won't be played anymore. It'd be hilarious to see JP or JR doing that RRROOOOAAAARRR!! part!  :lol
I dunno, the part was originally written for JLB, I imagine he'll just do it but in a different way to on the recording.

EDIT: In terms of backing harmonies, JR is a perfectly capable singer, so if the new drummer isn't much on vocals then I'm sure JR can join in. 

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1031 on: September 10, 2010, 06:06:16 AM »
They'll maybe find a drummer who can perform it properly. Or we should just wait and see...

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1032 on: September 10, 2010, 06:09:47 AM »
I could imagine JR using a voice effect for many of MP's parts in order to achieve that deeper, rougher voice; as it is, I don't think that his voice is powerful enough to provide that kind of backing vocals properly.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #1033 on: September 10, 2010, 06:26:25 AM »
This really does suck... MP was part of the soul of the band.  He wasn't just some member.  Part of me wishes they'd just fully break up or take the hiatus... none of them are "spring chickens" anymore, either. 

I haven't read the entire thread, but some of the comments sound like he was disposible... certainly there are capable drummers that can play the parts.  Hell, he posted videos to his twitter of 10 year olds playing some of his parts.  That's only a part of it.   Most other bands that lose a piece of their soul never recover until that piece is restored. 

Anyway, good luck to MP in the future, but I hold major reservations about DT for the future...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1034 on: September 10, 2010, 06:56:37 AM »

This was one of the most amazing soap operas the world of metal has ever seen.  I was a huge Strato fan and I really loved every minute of this.  I would be looking for updates just to see what was gonna happen next.

looooool, yes. And when the band Revolution Renaissance was created, there was a website and a forum and Tolkki registered there just to say that "a friend of him" told him bad things about the new line up, etc, etc. He made a guitar contest cause he wanted to donate as a gift one of his ESP (he donate the Stratocasters a while ago), but the winner of that contest (a spanish guy) has never received the guitar XD. Then you had his first myspace that was hacked and plenty of statements saying that he loved the new album Polaris, etc, etc Hey, I have tons and tons of things to say, but of course that's off topic. But it was hilarious and sad.

But the most funny thing in Stratovarius history was when Jens blowed up a nasty toilet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr4T4UzFB4Q

I love this man hahaha, I had a lot of laughs with him in Madrid in the last concert I went. He is so funny and smart.

That's from the wonderful Infinite Visions DVD  :lol  He is one crazy bastard!!

In Tolkki's defense the first RR album was really excellent, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  haven't heard the last one and now before the release of their last album Tolkki says that the band is no more.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1035 on: September 10, 2010, 07:04:10 AM »

Shame really, cos minus the growl rap-thingy, it's a great song.

Offline OneLastTime

« Reply #1036 on: September 10, 2010, 08:16:24 AM »
First time poster, long time lurker

Even though I wish MP the best in his future endeavors, I'm a bit upset at the timing of his departure. DT are, I would say, at the biggest they ever were. They had a #6 album (for being progressive metal, this is incredible) and just came back from playing the biggest shows EVER in their career.

Then all of a sudden, MP is taking on multiple projects and going 24/7 on DT's off-cycle. He very well knew what he was getting himself into. I understand that it is fun to do the various side projects he does, but their comes a time when you need to understand where you come from. He's been with DT for 25 years. He's known JP & JM for over half his life. Hell, even their wives were in the same band.
PLus, what I believe makes this the worst of all, he' s still on tour with A7X. Frankley, I do like them. But I feel tha this is a slap in the face to DT/DTfans. I felt it would be a little bit classier if he were to do it after the tour.

I still have a lot of different feelings about this so hopefully I'll post more about this soon.

Edit: I know JP,JR,JLB all commented on the situation. Does anyone think JM will comment soon (or at all)?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:26:41 AM by OneLastTime »
Will not change this until either:
1. NY Jets win the SuperBowl
2. NJ Devils win the Stanley Cup
or
3. MP comes back to DT

Started September 10, 2010

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1037 on: September 10, 2010, 08:23:11 AM »
ISn't there any interviwes about this yet?! :O It's been 2 days!!!

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1038 on: September 10, 2010, 08:26:07 AM »
I think that at least A Nightmare to Remember won't be played anymore. It'd be hilarious to see JP or JR doing that RRROOOOAAAARRR!! part!  :lol

Shame really, cos minus the growl rap-thingy, it's a great song.

I thought it was shit, but then when I listened to it last night I really enjoyed it. It's strange how perception changes over time.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1039 on: September 10, 2010, 08:27:02 AM »

Are you serious?! How about giving them some time to stomach this event before opening up to the public? Besides, JP and JLB have already given statements about this.

Mentlegen.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1040 on: September 10, 2010, 08:28:06 AM »

OMG 2 days, that is like the longest time ever!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1041 on: September 10, 2010, 08:33:52 AM »
I'm all for Dream Theater getting Terry Bozzio. That would be a hell of a band.

Please, no.  Please, no.

Terry Bozzio is a great drummer, and as a bonus, he can sing.

But I agree that he would not be a good fit for Dream Theater, if that's your objection.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1042 on: September 10, 2010, 08:37:04 AM »
jeez! I was kidding

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1043 on: September 10, 2010, 08:42:35 AM »

But really...everybody needs to stop saying things like "Portnoy will realize his mistake!".

Then state it as an opinion, not a fact.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1044 on: September 10, 2010, 08:47:23 AM »
I really want Myung to comment on this. I know, he doesn't speak, but I want it.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1045 on: September 10, 2010, 08:49:41 AM »
I think it's safe to say that he won't.

Mentlegen.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1046 on: September 10, 2010, 08:50:33 AM »
Anyone who isn't familiar with Rudess's voice should check out his cover of "Just the Same"; he sounds like a total badass and has this pleasantly wonderful gravel in his voice. I would actually be ecstatic if they introduced a few LaBrie/Rudess duets in some songs.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #1047 on: September 10, 2010, 08:55:36 AM »

Then state it as an opinion, not a fact.

Will be a fact. Sorry for say it too soon!  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1048 on: September 10, 2010, 09:11:59 AM »
Given that Petrucci said that everything went down on Wednesday, the fact that the split was announced on Wednesday night, that seems a little weird.  If you're Portnoy, why not sleep on it for a few days in case you change your mind before saying anything to the public?  Granted, we all we know, he might be 100% confident in his decision, so why wait, but it just seems like one of those massive life decisions that are best mulled over instead of being made hastily and then revealed to everyone so quickly. 

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #1049 on: September 10, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
Anyway, I still thinking that the worst for a band is to replace the singer or the guitar player. Ad yes, I'm taking into account what MP represented for DT.