Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509767 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #980 on: September 09, 2010, 09:14:18 PM »
Well, I guess anything is possible because, as we all know, the cat came back.  From what I hear, it was the very next day.  Early reports were that many thought he was a goner.  But the c--*smack!*  

Ow.  I think Hef just smacked me from across the country.
Hey, it's my birthday!  What can I say?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DT1

• What teh crap?
  • Sheep... all of you!
« Reply #981 on: September 09, 2010, 09:15:45 PM »
I can't believe this is happening. No more Mike = no more DT for me. Major bummer.  

Best wishes in all you do Mike. Even though this comment will probably drown in a sea of others, I hope you read it.

You'll be missed my friend.  :-\

p.s. Thanks for the drumsticks when we were in Las Vegas. They're mounted on my wall.

Mike Portnoy > God

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #982 on: September 09, 2010, 09:16:43 PM »
I can't believe this is happening. No more Mike = no more DT for me.
OK, bye.  Sorry you wouldn't stay.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #983 on: September 09, 2010, 09:51:47 PM »
I'm not a man of many words, even being on this forum for so many years now. But being a hardcore Dream Theater fan for 18 years I like express the way I feel through my art. It's because of Dream Theater and you that I begun to start my own business over a year ago. Mike we know this was the hardest decision you ever had to make but I completely understand where you are comming from.

It's just like a marriage you had for 25 years... and you have to tell your kids that it's over between mommy and daddy... in your case you have to tell this sad news to millions of ''kids''....

Whatever you do I will always support you... the journey doesn't end here, it's only just begun.

STEVE, CARPE DIEM!

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #984 on: September 09, 2010, 09:53:10 PM »
Well, I guess anything is possible because, as we all know, the cat came back.  From what I hear, it was the very next day.  Early reports were that many thought he was a goner.  But the c--*smack!* 

Ow.  I think Hef just smacked me from across the country.
Hey, it's my birthday!  What can I say?
Happy birthday hef, and sorry about the shitty timing of this whole thing - sucks bad enough without being right near your birthday that this went down.

Anyhow, just read the entire thread -- long read!

I was surprised how few words were said about mike's sobriety. Admittedly I'm far less of a hardcore fan than many people here, but I had thought his habit of being solitary in hotels during touring had more to do with his sobriety than anything else. The fact that he's out and socializing and getting tattoos at 330am and whatnot just makes me worry about his sobriety.

He should do what makes him happy, yes... but I hope that "happy" doesn't equal "count down to chemically induced self destruction".
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #985 on: September 09, 2010, 09:54:42 PM »
That's VERY nice, Steve! Great job, as always!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: September 09, 2010, 09:56:38 PM »
I was actually thinking if he will be start drinking after this. His wife and family wouldn't let him, though. That's good.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #987 on: September 09, 2010, 09:57:33 PM »
Good point, Jen.  Hopefully, no matter what he does in the future, his sobriety won't become a victim of this split.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #988 on: September 09, 2010, 09:57:47 PM »
I can't see that happening...I really can't.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #989 on: September 09, 2010, 09:58:10 PM »
I dunno, he is touring with Avenged Sevenfold.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #990 on: September 09, 2010, 09:59:06 PM »
I dunno, he is touring with Avenged Sevenfold.
Wait...when did this happen?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: September 09, 2010, 09:59:19 PM »
I doubt MP will start drinking again.  After ten years or so (?), a 60 minute suite, and a wife and kids to look after, I think he'll be okay sobriety-wise.  The thing about getting tatoos at 3 am is a little odd, but it might have something to do with that midlife crisis theory.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: September 09, 2010, 09:59:46 PM »
No. He said somewhere that he used to go out and visit, but now he just uses his free time to relax and to get some rest.

I can't believe you guys are speculating on him drinking again. Hell, he left Dream Theater because he needs a break, not because he's now a party animal.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: September 09, 2010, 10:13:50 PM »
Wow, I am pretty late to hearing the news.  I am really not surprised with DT taking breaks and Mike recording and then playing with Avenged.  I kind of get the feeling like the money with Avenged is probably better with less work so it makes sense financially for him.  I mean, they are a bigger band than DT and he doesn't have to be the main guy there.  I can see it like someone getting a better job and leaving thier current job, but its tough considering DT is his "baby."  I can really see this being all about money.  DT wants to keep recording and touring to make money, Mike doesnt want to because he can make his money somewhere else so there is a head butt that ends in a split.  Thats just my opinion, but I just find it hard to believe he would leave for any other reason.  People need to do what is best for them.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #994 on: September 09, 2010, 10:17:03 PM »
Oh hai Jen. :D

I wonder how things will develop in the next few weeks. Maybe there's going to be some turmoil (and there are indeed some signs that lead to this way), but all in all, I'm more excited about DT getting a new, kickass drummer and delivering a good, fresh-sounding album.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #995 on: September 09, 2010, 10:52:11 PM »
This isn't meant as a potshot at A7X, but he did replace someone who OD'ed, so I'm guessing the rev wasn't the only drug user among the members of the band.  I hope that they respect Mike's years of sobriety and stay clean around him.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #996 on: September 09, 2010, 10:54:51 PM »
This isn't meant as a potshot at A7X, but he did replace someone who OD'ed, so I'm guessing the rev wasn't the only drug user among the members of the band.  I hope that they respect Mike's years of sobriety and stay clean around him.

I really hope Mike doesn't join A7X full time.  Would be totally detrimental to his recovery.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #997 on: September 09, 2010, 11:17:22 PM »
Wait, this means their next album will have less balls in the metal, but more prog... Hmm, I like. Best of luck to Portnoy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #998 on: September 09, 2010, 11:24:15 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I think that assuming that Portnoy's departure will mean less metal and more prog is misguided.  Remember that Petrucci is as much of a metal fan as Portnoy is, although his roots seem to be more with classic metal, rather than some of the newer metal, so while they will likely lose the newer metal elements (like the occasional rough vocals), I suspect they will still be as heavy as they were before, generally speaking.

Also, I remember JP saying on one of the BC&SL youtube videos that he was tired of the long instrumental sections that featured guitar and key solos back to back, so perhaps we will see shorter, more focused, more concise instrumental sections?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #999 on: September 09, 2010, 11:26:13 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I think that assuming that Portnoy's departure will mean less metal and more prog is misguided.  Remember that Petrucci is as much of a metal fan as Portnoy is, although his roots seem to be more with classic metal, rather than some of the newer metal, so while they will likely lose the newer metal elements (like the occasional rough vocals), I suspect they will still be as heavy as they were before, generally speaking.

Also, I remember JP saying on one of the BC&SL youtube videos that he was tired of the long instrumental sections that featured guitar and key solos back to back, so perhaps we will see shorter, more focused, more concise instrumental sections?

That would be cool, I think that they should definitely make a return to the more concise, and also melodic, style of music.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1000 on: September 09, 2010, 11:27:21 PM »
Well I hope they do something very wacky, or serious but wacky. Some parts in A Change Of Seasons comes to mind.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1001 on: September 09, 2010, 11:29:01 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I think that assuming that Portnoy's departure will mean less metal and more prog is misguided.  Remember that Petrucci is as much of a metal fan as Portnoy is, although his roots seem to be more with classic metal, rather than some of the newer metal, so while they will likely lose the newer metal elements (like the occasional rough vocals), I suspect they will still be as heavy as they were before, generally speaking.

Probably about as heavy as anything that was on Images And Words/Awake/Falling Into Infinity, I think... It'd be nice to see a more song-oriented approach to metal writing on the next album, as in those old days, rather than extending riffs and solos for metal epics, as has been the case with many songs over the last few albums. Don't get me wrong, I love many of those songs, but perhaps a lot of that had to do with MP's direction. I don't think he had much input in the songs back in the day, which is probably why we have more songs under 8-10 minutes on those albums than we did over 8-10 minutes. The opposite seems true with latter albums, epics and longer songs more numerous than before. Possibly MP's way of incorporating epic-length songs with a metal edge, to satisfy his idea of "proggy" DT while still being "metal" DT.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1002 on: September 09, 2010, 11:44:15 PM »
this better be a joke, i just saw this now and i will read all the pages but someone just tell me if its a joke first, tell me.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: September 09, 2010, 11:45:25 PM »

Yeah, I mean, as much as Portnoy likes newer metal, you can totally tell JP is into all that chugga-chugga stuff going on ever since SDOIT. I don't expect that to change.

What I do expect is to see him doing more on his own, coming to the band with complete or nearly complete songs as he did (I assume) with Wither.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #1004 on: September 09, 2010, 11:48:48 PM »
Well, I guess anything is possible because, as we all know, the cat came back.  From what I hear, it was the very next day.  Early reports were that many thought he was a goner.  But the c--*smack!* 

Ow.  I think Hef just smacked me from across the country.
Hey, it's my birthday!  What can I say?
Happy birthday hef, and sorry about the shitty timing of this whole thing - sucks bad enough without being right near your birthday that this went down.

Anyhow, just read the entire thread -- long read!

I was surprised how few words were said about mike's sobriety. Admittedly I'm far less of a hardcore fan than many people here, but I had thought his habit of being solitary in hotels during touring had more to do with his sobriety than anything else. The fact that he's out and socializing and getting tattoos at 330am and whatnot just makes me worry about his sobriety.

He should do what makes him happy, yes... but I hope that "happy" doesn't equal "count down to chemically induced self destruction".
Whoa, would ya look who it is.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: September 09, 2010, 11:52:50 PM »
My God it's true.. Godspeed Portnoy.
JP at the helm now, its gonna get a whole lotta more creative when he has no one to think for him, I'm shy to say I'm somewhat excited about what's to come.
wow.. what news to wake up to.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1006 on: September 10, 2010, 12:48:21 AM »
I'm all for Dream Theater getting Terry Bozzio. That would be a hell of a band.

Please, no.  Please, no.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #1007 on: September 10, 2010, 01:03:29 AM »
As stated by someone earlier in this thread, my vote goes to Virgil Donati. I don't have his music yet, but I was blown away by his proficiency in handling odd time beats.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1008 on: September 10, 2010, 01:09:31 AM »
What saddens me the most:  MP personal songs that I will never hear live.

"The Best of Times" - Like Space Dye Vest, I think DT will avoid playing this song now, as it is so deeply personal to MP.  I listened to this just yesterday, looking forward to its eventual live debut, then the news hit last night.

"Redemption" & "The Shattered Fortress" - Will DT play the AA suite in its entirety?  Seems unlikely now.    Too bad, MP really deserved to hear our appreciation for this musical achievement, and our acknowlegment of the personal journey he completed.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: September 10, 2010, 01:33:44 AM »
I think we'll hear the Best of Times. Sure, it's MIKE's song, but it's also a song that Petrucci really shreds on. I doubt he'll be able to resist the temptation to play it. And, really, there's no reason why the band SHOULDN'T play it. I also think we'll probably hear sections of the AA saga, though probably not the entire thing.

I know Mike can seem a little irrational at times, but I doubt he'd want Dream Theater to NOT perform The Best of Times. It might make him feel a little sad to see the first live performance of it not include him, but I think that Mike would prefer DT play the song rather than waste it.

Annnnd if he DOES join them on stage for an encore in 5 or 10 years, you can bet your bottom dollar that TBoT will be one of the songs they encore with.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1010 on: September 10, 2010, 01:35:33 AM »
Guess its time to save up for Rich Wilson's third edition of Lifting Shadows . . .

and speaking of which, allow me to quote Chapter 11, Walking on Eggshells, page 222 (re MP's 1998 announcement to quite DT):

"But in hindsight [JP] now accepts that if Mike had left, Dream Theater would effectively have been finished"

"I think it would have been difficult to continue," [JP] says.  "Mike's such a huge part of Dream Theater and this was something we had built together to that point.  So it wouldn't have been the same thing.  Obviously, when it was all happening, you're like 'Fuck it.  I'm going to do whatever I have to do and I'm not going to stop.'  But realistically, could we have continued?  No.  I couldn't see that.  At the time you don't want anything to collapse or want to think that somebody could take that all away.  But it wouldn't have bee nthe same."

Interesting to contrast this with everything that is going on.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #1011 on: September 10, 2010, 02:15:23 AM »
Guess its time to save up for Rich Wilson's third edition of Lifting Shadows . . .

and speaking of which, allow me to quote Chapter 11, Walking on Eggshells, page 222 (re MP's 1998 announcement to quite DT):

"But in hindsight [JP] now accepts that if Mike had left, Dream Theater would effectively have been finished"

"I think it would have been difficult to continue," [JP] says.  "Mike's such a huge part of Dream Theater and this was something we had built together to that point.  So it wouldn't have been the same thing.  Obviously, when it was all happening, you're like 'Fuck it.  I'm going to do whatever I have to do and I'm not going to stop.'  But realistically, could we have continued?  No.  I couldn't see that.  At the time you don't want anything to collapse or want to think that somebody could take that all away.  But it wouldn't have bee nthe same."

Interesting to contrast this with everything that is going on.

The time scale tells you all. That was in 1998, now it's 13 years later. In 13 years everybody has been more involved and all the members see DT as their own band. I mean, Mike changed his thoughts in this past year and now wants to leave, the others has changed his thoughts too in these past years and want to continue, that's all

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1012 on: September 10, 2010, 02:41:59 AM »
If you haven't seen it already, check the reactions from JP and JLB in this thread: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=16450.0

Definitely indicates that there's no personal friction between the guys (particularly JP and MP), which supports those of us who believe that Mike in particular is just feeling upset about the whole thing but that there's nothing boiling under the surface.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #1013 on: September 10, 2010, 03:18:36 AM »
Yes, I have read that. I just hope nothing wrong is gonna happen.  Let's wait and see. We don't want a fight, that is sad and I have lived that in Stratovarius these past years and I do not recommend it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1014 on: September 10, 2010, 03:26:45 AM »
Yeah I'm not a huge Strato fan now, but I was fairly into them when shit first started going down, and it wasn't cool at all. However, Timo Tolkki is an absolute nutter, whereas while Mike can be impulsive and say what's on his mind too readily, he's a decent, caring guy, so I don't think it would ever get anything like that.

Plus, the full list of questions that JP has answered (later in that thread) fills me with a lot of hope that things will be fine once it all settles down. :)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.