Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509854 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #945 on: September 09, 2010, 07:46:36 PM »
Yeah, I think he's the only regular member who hasn't made a post.  :lol
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #946 on: September 09, 2010, 07:49:51 PM »
Let's hope he didn't let this get too far to his head...  :-\

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #947 on: September 09, 2010, 07:50:43 PM »
I haven't seen BRGM around either.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #948 on: September 09, 2010, 07:52:41 PM »
Oh he's posted here, don't worry.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #949 on: September 09, 2010, 08:02:01 PM »
Jamesman requested a temp ban for an entire semester, IIRC...
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline veronica

• Bosk-approved weird aunt
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Something must be done about this girl at once!
« Reply #950 on: September 09, 2010, 08:02:36 PM »
James is on a self imposed hiatus I think.

JEN SQUEE :heart

Honorary Junior Old Fogey
I have a dual-citizenageinternetgroupship.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #951 on: September 09, 2010, 08:03:06 PM »
 :sadpanda:

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #952 on: September 09, 2010, 08:05:24 PM »
Ah yes I remember now.  Off topic though.  Reported.

I can't wait to see what news develops over the coming weeks.  This has got to be the most I've been excited about DT in a long time.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #953 on: September 09, 2010, 08:07:35 PM »
That last chord in the Jordan Speaks video it's still ringing in my head. I don't know what it meant. I think there's so much embodied in that chord that... Wow, it's like, after several minutes of improvisation and saying that "It's ok, it's alright" that MP had left, that chord it's like a "But it's not that alright for us and you're still breaking our heart and making us feel pain, you bastard".

Offline predator13

« Reply #954 on: September 09, 2010, 08:08:08 PM »
It just feels so weird.  Like I can't really believe it.  

Musically, this is probably the most interesting thing that could have happened for the band.

Emotionally, apart from the unthinkable death of any of the members, this is the saddest thing that could have happened.
You can make a fortune in pies; you can keep a giant alive.

Offline veronica

• Bosk-approved weird aunt
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Something must be done about this girl at once!
« Reply #955 on: September 09, 2010, 08:10:23 PM »
This has got to be the most I've been excited about DT in a long time.
I want to feel bad for feeling exactly this, but I don't... DT meant so much for me and now that we've grown apart (I still very occasionally listen to and love their stuff, but...) I'm just exited to see something new happening. I'm looking forward to see how they'll do with what cards they have now.

Honorary Junior Old Fogey
I have a dual-citizenageinternetgroupship.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #956 on: September 09, 2010, 08:10:54 PM »
These are some notes I made about Mike's original post last night, but I didn't post them because I wanted to wait 24 hours and make sure I wasn't being clouded by my sadness.  I agree with my assessment last night, so here it is:

If there are some problems between MP and the band that haven't come to light yet, I wouldn't be surprised.  In MP's initial posting, there seemed to be subtle shots fired at the band.  He was very possessive of the DT brand and clearly sees it as his baby:

Dream Theater was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985...24/7, 365...never taking time off from DT's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)...working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!),

and while it was ultimately his decision to leave, it seems like he was trying to push a portion of the blame on others (bolded parts for emphasis):

...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes....

I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work...I honestly just wanted a break

they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes

So, I think there is some stuff brewing under the surface, and I hope for every member of DT they can settle this privately and amicably and not have it blow up.

And now, after Mike's posting of that blog entry (this one: https://paulgargano.blogspot.com/2010/09/mike-portnoy-quits-dream-theater-can.html, I'm more concerned this might end in a way no fan wants it to.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:19:53 PM by dreamtheatervt »

Offline j

« Reply #957 on: September 09, 2010, 08:15:54 PM »
^ Yeah, no doubt he's going through a seriously emotional time right now, but he did sorta come across sounding like a martyr, among other things.

-J

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #958 on: September 09, 2010, 08:22:03 PM »
Well, at least JustJen came back.  So everything is cool.

Oh shit, I forgot Jamesman's request for an unban.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #959 on: September 09, 2010, 08:27:34 PM »
Whatever the case may be man, life goes on.  Mike has done what he has thought was best for himself and (coming from a guy who has practically given all he has to his fans) there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  So what if he let some of his own (seemingly) negative thoughts come out in a letter to his fans, Mike has always been like that; honest and open.  I just hope he doesn't take all this negativity from some fans to heart, especially considering the problems of his past.  I'd hate for this to be the reason for Mike falling off the wagon.  As stupid as that may sound.  Sometimes we forget that our heroes are human.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #960 on: September 09, 2010, 08:28:08 PM »
Either DT will kick ass and reinvent themselves or they will try to be the same band and fail.

MP probably feels held back by the bounds of DT, Bounds that he created himself. It's kinda like when your boss says something stupid but instead of admitting he's wrong takes everyone down the wrong path for years then he fires everyone for doing what they were told if that makes any sense. I just hope the rest of the band has their balls dangling and are ready to try some new things and not worry so much about trying not to be popular.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #961 on: September 09, 2010, 08:31:11 PM »
24 hours later and I finally can type something out, since I found out last night but I was already quite drunk, coincidentally with the buddy who I went to see Dream Theater for the first time with (ToT tour at MSG) back in the day. We dedicated the rest of the night's drinking to DT/MP and listened to the bootleg of that show through ACOS.

This is the first time I've watched a favorite band go through some sort of trauma, every other band that I really listen to either has been disbanded already (classic rock stuff) or hasn't had a lineup change (closest I came was Newsted left Metallica 6-8 months before I became a fan). It hasn't really hit me until tonight though. The last hour and a half or so I've gone through this whole thread, and reading some of the posts here while listening to Jordan's improv piece nearly moved me to tears, and I don't think I could make it through some of the more heartfelt DT songs without getting too emotional.

Between being my absolute favorite band, the holy trinity of I&W, Awake, and SFAM all probably inhabit my top 5 all time albums list, and leading me to the various incarnations of DTF where I've found some of the best friends I have, spent a mind numbing number of hours in conversation with a great group of people, and discovered most of the rest of the music that's filled my ears in the last half a decade or so, Dream Theater has far and away been a huge influence in my life since the first time I put Six Degrees in my cd player and The Glass Prison blew my mind. I have no doubt both Mike Portnoy and the remaining members of Dream Theater will go on to create more great music, that's what they do, and I'll continue to check it all out. That said, even if the new music Dream Theater puts out is fantastic, and better than their recent output (I wasn't one of those "Portnoy is ruining the musical direction of the band people, though I didn't particularly care for good chunks of Train of Thought through Systematic Chaos. I thought BC&SL was a big step in the right direction though), I think anyone who tells him/herself that the experience of being a Dream Theater fan will remain the same is still in denial. In addition to the music, the whole experience of loving Dream Theater has been incredibly rewarding, and it's been so in large part thanks to Mike Portnoy. The rotating setlists, the official bootlegs, directing the DVDs, all the communication with the fans (his forum, Christmas vids etc...), all that done by a man who, as someone earlier in the thread said, worked 25 hours a day for Dream Theater fans. Some of those responsibilities may be taken up by one or more members of the band, but (with all due respect)  none of the rest of the guys ever exuded the kind of passion for making Dream Theater as great a band to be a fan of as Mike did, and that's what I think will be missed the most.

Mike, I understand why you had to make the change you did, and I wish you the best in whatever musical endeavors you undertake in the future (more Transatlantic would be nice, hint hint), I'll be along for the ride listening. JP, JR, JLB, and JM, I understand why you felt the need to press on, I look forward to finding out who will be playing drums with you guys in the future and I'm excited to hear what the next album of music you guys put together sounds like.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #962 on: September 09, 2010, 08:36:27 PM »
The best possible outcome is that DT will find a good replacement drummer and they will continue to make great music, while Transatlantic and perhaps LTE get together occasionally to also produce great new music, alongside whatever else MP winds up doing.  All with a minimum of ugliness.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #963 on: September 09, 2010, 08:37:24 PM »
I'm all for Dream Theater getting Terry Bozzio. That would be a hell of a band.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #964 on: September 09, 2010, 08:38:19 PM »
Nice post Bill, and it really does sum up how I'm feeling quite nicely.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #965 on: September 09, 2010, 08:41:03 PM »

Everytime God removes a band member, he reinstates a forum member.

It is the way of things.

;)
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #966 on: September 09, 2010, 08:44:06 PM »

It is the way of things.

;)

So who has to go for us to get Blob back? :P

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #967 on: September 09, 2010, 08:45:23 PM »
WOW.  I am late for the Funeral.  Having 3 kids will do that.  I just checked my email and got the newsletter from Mark Brudius.

I am Utterfly Floored and saddened by this news.  That being said, great bands  dont go on forever. And with age and time, changes will occur.  But, I still cant help but feel like I am greiving someones death.  Good luck in your future Endeavors MP.   I am a true DT fan of 25 Yrs and will continue to be so.................Hey, Look what happen to RUSH when they picked up this shy replacement drummer............name escapes me.  

You never know.

FUCKING WOW

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #968 on: September 09, 2010, 08:46:05 PM »

It is the way of things.

;)

Don't you DARE jinx anything...

-M.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #969 on: September 09, 2010, 08:50:44 PM »

It is the way of things.

;)

You just stop it right fucking now. 

Not about Blob coming back, but about anyone else leaving.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #970 on: September 09, 2010, 08:51:38 PM »
Although it would be quite ironic if Jordan left and it caused Blob to come back. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #971 on: September 09, 2010, 08:52:35 PM »
Although it would be quite ironic if Jordan left and it caused Blob to come back. :lol

A very ironic balance in the universe indeed  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #972 on: September 09, 2010, 08:52:56 PM »
Don't you think?

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #973 on: September 09, 2010, 08:54:14 PM »
Speaking of Jordan, I'm really hoping he gets to do a good bit of piano work on the next album.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #974 on: September 09, 2010, 08:55:03 PM »

I was just about to post "I think you all know the answer to that" but then Nick went ahead and spelled it out.

Seriously though, only Blob knows what Blob will do. But, it's nice that he's missed. :)

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #975 on: September 09, 2010, 08:56:25 PM »
Don't you think?
Deja vu.

Hef - the bears CAME BACK.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #976 on: September 09, 2010, 09:00:02 PM »
 ::) Way to wreck a decent thread...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #977 on: September 09, 2010, 09:04:03 PM »
Well, I guess anything is possible because, as we all know, the cat came back.  From what I hear, it was the very next day.  Early reports were that many thought he was a goner.  But the c--*smack!*  

Ow.  I think Hef just smacked me from across the country.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #978 on: September 09, 2010, 09:11:12 PM »
Well, I guess anything is possible because, as we all know, the cat came back.  From what I hear, it was the very next day.  Early reports were that many thought he was a goner.  But the c--*smack!*  

Ow.  I think Hef just smacked me from across the country.

lol

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: September 09, 2010, 09:14:09 PM »
Don't you think?
A little too ironic. Yeah, I really do think.