Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 510694 times)

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #910 on: September 09, 2010, 06:12:03 PM »
Well, this has caused me to do the DT full discog listen that I've been putting off for a while now.

Offline abrahamclark

• Signer of the Declaration of Independence
« Reply #911 on: September 09, 2010, 06:13:02 PM »
I share the same feelings as most of you.  My hope is that the rest of the band decides to take time off for several years and pursue interests elsewhere.  It would be nice to see them come back in five years for a thirty year “rebirth” if you will.

My honest feeling is that you cannot have Dream Theater without MP or any of the existing members for that matter; you might as well change the name of the band.  I also tend to think that DT is in need of a much needed break anyway.  They’ve been putting out a lot of solid albums but I truly feel like Octavarium was the last excellent album.  I would have liked to see them take a hiatus after SCORE and then return refreshed with a new perspective.

Either way, we may finally get a chance to see MP do one of his heavier side projects without keyboards which he’s spoken of.  Also, we may see some more great side projects from the rest.

Maybe, but that could happen in case DT were a mainstream band. They're not, they need to tour and be constantly active because they have bills to pay, families to take care of, kids going to school...They have not a cellar full of money, they need to be active. They need to pursue the "Dream Theater" project because that's the big element that's made them big and successful.

Playing for the money and risking the creation of mediocre albums should be a sign that it's time for a break.  They could pursue side projects for income or indulge in various other avenues for income, which is something we must all do to put food on the table.  Being in a great band does not necessarily negate the need for financial security.  

Offline Deinonych

« Reply #912 on: September 09, 2010, 06:13:28 PM »
I don't know why you guys are that upset. Look at it from a pure musical standpoint. DT HAS been stagnant for awhile now. This forces them to change...not to mention Portnoy himself has been on cruise control for years.

Pros:

- no terrible harsh vocals
- JP + MP "team" is broken up, perhaps they get a producer?
- new member in band = new creative juices flowing

This really can't be bad for Dream Theater. It's kind of sad to think he's not in the band, but hey, admit it -- he simply wasn't as good of a drummer as he used to be (or as interesting). This makes me excited for the next DT release.

This.

Still a bummer, though.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #913 on: September 09, 2010, 06:16:48 PM »
I'm gonna go take a long shower and see if the news finally sets in.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #914 on: September 09, 2010, 06:21:01 PM »
Playing for the money and risking the creation of mediocre albums should be a sign that it's time for a break.  They could pursue side projects for income or indulge in various other avenues for income, which is something we must all do to put food on the table.  Being in a great band does not necessarily negate the need for financial security. 
So in your job, if it got to the stage where you weren't hugely excited by what you did (although I don't for one second think that's the case with DT, who seem to still really enjoy what they do and continue to make great music), would you quit the job for a few years and find things to do to earn a few scraps here and there? No, you'd continue with your job like anyone would.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #915 on: September 09, 2010, 06:21:50 PM »
Man, I wish Jordan had recorded that band meeting. :D

I'm actually not concerned about the music. I would bet that some of the folks who have been complaining about their direction lately, and have blamed MP for it..well..we'll see just how much of that is factual.

I'm expecting something far more melodic, and I think the big winner will be James.

So musically, I'm not worried, but it's tough to imagine Dream Theater with a totally different character and culture.

Honestly, this reminds me a lot of when Adrian Smith left Iron Maiden. I remember everything about the moment I heard. He was easily my favorite member at the time. Still it's different because MP wasn't "just" the drummer. He was the face and the voice of DT. This is more than a drummer leaving a band. This is truly a new era for the band.

I'm hoping they can sustain life after MP. I don't want them one by one leaving after each album. It would appear that the band called his bluff. Good for them. I applaud that, but MP was great, a true fan's dream..

I don't see MP returning to DT, but I wouldn't discount another LTE sighting, though that's many years away, long after all of this blows over.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #916 on: September 09, 2010, 06:22:04 PM »
Epic. I'd expect nothing less from DT.

~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #917 on: September 09, 2010, 06:22:43 PM »
Jen!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #918 on: September 09, 2010, 06:24:06 PM »
JEN!!!

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #919 on: September 09, 2010, 06:25:40 PM »
did we just have a Jen Drive By
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #920 on: September 09, 2010, 06:26:35 PM »
Thanks for posting :heart

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #921 on: September 09, 2010, 06:27:03 PM »

:omg:

:heart Jen

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #922 on: September 09, 2010, 06:27:10 PM »
Everyones reaction, speculation, rumor, and general freak out to this news reminds me of the mound scene (up til about 2:30) from this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8olTfKZnFiM&feature=related

DTF.......We're dealing with a lot of shit!!!!

Everyone calm down.......this shit happens in rock and roll. Mike will go on, the band will go on, and we'll enjoy whatever they all do in the future I'm sure.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #923 on: September 09, 2010, 06:28:25 PM »
I share the same feelings as most of you.  My hope is that the rest of the band decides to take time off for several years and pursue interests elsewhere.  It would be nice to see them come back in five years for a thirty year “rebirth” if you will.

My honest feeling is that you cannot have Dream Theater without MP or any of the existing members for that matter; you might as well change the name of the band.  I also tend to think that DT is in need of a much needed break anyway.  They’ve been putting out a lot of solid albums but I truly feel like Octavarium was the last excellent album.  I would have liked to see them take a hiatus after SCORE and then return refreshed with a new perspective.

Either way, we may finally get a chance to see MP do one of his heavier side projects without keyboards which he’s spoken of.  Also, we may see some more great side projects from the rest.

Maybe, but that could happen in case DT were a mainstream band. They're not, they need to tour and be constantly active because they have bills to pay, families to take care of, kids going to school...They have not a cellar full of money, they need to be active. They need to pursue the "Dream Theater" project because that's the big element that's made them big and successful.

Playing for the money and risking the creation of mediocre albums should be a sign that it's time for a break.  They could pursue side projects for income or indulge in various other avenues for income, which is something we must all do to put food on the table.  Being in a great band does not necessarily negate the need for financial security.  
Yet, you sustain DT has made mediocre albums as of late. That's your opinion; and that being said. they don't have any reason to stop. The band (JLB, JR, JP and JM) don't feel like stoping, and I hear them. They're doing better in charts/sales/concert attendances/fans better than they have ever done.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #924 on: September 09, 2010, 06:31:18 PM »
btw...Hello Jennifer.  :biggrin:

Offline abrahamclark

« Reply #925 on: September 09, 2010, 06:33:04 PM »

Yet, you sustain DT has made mediocre albums as of late. That's your opinion; and that being said. they don't have any reason to stop. The band (JLB, JR, JP and JM) don't feel like stoping, and I hear them. They're doing better in charts/sales/concert attendances/fans better than they have ever done.

Don't put words in my mouth.  I said they run the risk of making mediocre albums.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: September 09, 2010, 06:33:23 PM »
Mike's last interview

https://vimeo.com/14827294
I'm glad that the interviewer asked him about "improving". He said that because he didn't have time with all of his responsibilities he couldn't practice that much. What about now? I know that he will keep going on with his projects, but do you think he will get behind his monster kit and blast for 6 hours a day to learn something new? And maybe in some years he'll make a great come back with DT? It may be wishful thinking, but who knows.

Also, that last question was just uncanny!!!

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #927 on: September 09, 2010, 06:34:27 PM »
did we just have a Jen Drive By
no, I'm still here. been taking this all in since axeman told me about it yesterday.

i don't like change too much so this upsets me for that reason. however, BC&SL felt like it might be the precursor to a huge change, so this almost feels like the shoe finally dropped. that in itself is sort of a relief at least.

i quite regret only seeing dt a couple of times in the years that i've been a fan. but it's not like the music we've got is going anyplace... and thankfully it wasn't a band member's death that ended this band. there's always room for a reunion tour this way at least.

i suppose.

edit - hi TV. :) nice to see you back in an old, familiar setting for a change.

Offline abrahamclark

« Reply #928 on: September 09, 2010, 06:34:36 PM »
So in your job, if it got to the stage where you weren't hugely excited by what you did (although I don't for one second think that's the case with DT, who seem to still really enjoy what they do and continue to make great music), would you quit the job for a few years and find things to do to earn a few scraps here and there? No, you'd continue with your job like anyone would.

Like I said, I hope the band will see it Mike's way as I think Mike saw that things were becoming tired; I tend to agree that a hiatus could be a good thing.

Edit: Also, Ms. Put Words In Other's Mouths, said they had to keep playing to make money as if out of desperation.  My response was to the assumption that they are playing for the money.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #929 on: September 09, 2010, 06:36:13 PM »
Mike's last interview

https://vimeo.com/14827294
I'm glad that the interviewer asked him about "improving". He said that because he didn't have time with all of his responsibilities he couldn't practice that much. What about now? I know that he will keep going on with his projects, but do you think he will get behind his monster kit and blast for 6 hours a day to learn something new? And maybe in some years he'll make a great come back with DT? It may be wishful thinking, but who knows.

Also, that last question was just uncanny!!!
Very ambiguous, if you ask me.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #930 on: September 09, 2010, 06:46:01 PM »
I'm sooooo sad! Is there any chance this can be a prank?
I mean, we are hundreds of members, one of us gotta find out!

I'm sure that everyone knows deep inside that it's not a prank, but I'll still just say it... it's not a prank. Sorry.  :-\

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #931 on: September 09, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »

edit - hi TV. :) nice to see you back in an old, familiar setting for a change.

Yes. It is. BTW, the pic I was expecting wasn't attached to your last email.  :biggrin:

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
xoxox

Offline Zorander

• DT.net Veteran
  • Rice-megatron expert
« Reply #932 on: September 09, 2010, 07:08:16 PM »
djeeeebusss.. I read about this about 12 hours ago. Insane, lost a day of studying..called one of the few friends I have that I was thinking would care at least a bit. Turned out he took it way harder than me, he ended up going home from work to drink  :sadpanda:

Anyways, since many people seems to be speculating about the album etc.. I found this little response from Rena later in the thread from the petrucci forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenomorph
I hope they go to studio and make the best album ever and then get some badass drummer for the tour

Answer from Rena:

That's the plan!

(https://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70293&page=31)

Yay :) See? They plan to get a badass drummer and make the best album ever. Sounds good to me!

...I'm still sad though =( I'd never thought I'd see this day :sadpanda:
Vanity, my favourite sin.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #933 on: September 09, 2010, 07:16:35 PM »
I'm excited to hear some optimism but I hope it's not to spite Mike.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: September 09, 2010, 07:16:52 PM »
JEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

We missed you.  Now go murder Tri.ad for having "Angelina" so low in his Marillion top 40 :D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #935 on: September 09, 2010, 07:18:51 PM »
JEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

We missed you.  Now go murder Tri.ad for having "Angelina" so low in his Marillion top 40 :D
:lol awww... don't worry about that. tri.ad can redeem himself by have half of his top 10 being songs from Marbles.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #936 on: September 09, 2010, 07:26:38 PM »
After sitting on this news for a day and thinking deeply about it, I still think this is the end fo DT. Regardless how amazing the next album is, seeing them live will not be th same ever again. Sadly, that is the only reason DT is as big as they are.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #937 on: September 09, 2010, 07:28:57 PM »

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #938 on: September 09, 2010, 07:30:07 PM »
Yeah. Pages go by so quickly in this thread it's hard to keep track. Don't post for an hour and you miss a page.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #939 on: September 09, 2010, 07:30:59 PM »
Has it been confirmed mp is staying with a7x?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #940 on: September 09, 2010, 07:31:37 PM »
The end for DT??  Nah.  I'm sure A7X fans were saying that when the Rev died, and looked what happened there.  It all depends on how the guys handle it and the person they choose as a replacement.  It could turn into a Maiden/Blaze Bayley situation, or it could turn into gold.  Time will tell.  Don't just write the other guys off.  Give peace a chance.

Offline ainamotore

« Reply #941 on: September 09, 2010, 07:33:48 PM »
After sitting on this news for a day and thinking deeply about it, I still think this is the end fo DT. Regardless how amazing the next album is, seeing them live will not be th same ever again. Sadly, that is the only reason DT is as big as they are.

The same no. But nothing stays the same anyway. The next time I go to see DT, I will still be seeing one of the best guitarists on the planet, one of the best keyboard players on the planet, one of the best bassists on the planet, new material, and a vocalist who is perfect for the songs that they write. Not a bad way to spend an evening with...

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #942 on: September 09, 2010, 07:36:39 PM »
(((guys)))

You know, I've just been thinking about this fact: I've been sober since August, 2008.

There have been some really bad times since then when I wanted to drink, but didn't. Almost every one of those times I went for a drive and put in a Dream Theater CD and listened to one of the twelve step suite's songs -- BC&SL has been in my vehicle since I bought it, before I left dtf in early 2010, and I still love it.

In fact, the entire time I've been away I've had that and The Incident in my vehicle and anytime I burn out of one band, I switch back to listening to the other. I brought the Score DVD/CD set into the car three days ago because I was getting burned out on The Incident... and I sent a random text message to BlobVanDam that same day, quoting some lyrics for the sake of their sheer awesomeness.

I'm so torn about this right now.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #943 on: September 09, 2010, 07:45:38 PM »
This all still feels surreal for me.

Btw, has anyone else noticed a distinct lack of Jamesman throughout all of this?

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #944 on: September 09, 2010, 07:46:15 PM »
I'm just so.....sad....