Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509905 times)

Offline AlienWebguy

Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #875 on: September 09, 2010, 05:17:24 PM »
Sorry that's not how it works. If you're gonna be a professional musician, you do what the fans want. Obviously the A7X fans are giving him more love than we are.

Offline veronica

• Bosk-approved weird aunt
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Something must be done about this girl at once!
« Reply #876 on: September 09, 2010, 05:17:51 PM »
Hey, stop with the quote pyramids already (*takes off wannabe-mod hat* :lol )

Yeah...no. And also, oh, you're the guy with the big-ass tattoo! You're semi famous for that, but you probably knew that. About your "pr stunt" theory.. I don't know what to say. You really think they'd do that? M-hmm... Cause doing something like that wouldn't taint their reputation at all. These are grown up people we're talking about, not 17 year olds playing in daddys garage.

Honorary Junior Old Fogey
I have a dual-citizenageinternetgroupship.

Offline bmc

« Reply #877 on: September 09, 2010, 05:18:06 PM »
yes, MP leaving the band is a bummer. but people need to stop acting like he died or something, im sure he will still be as busy or even busier than he ever was.
Quote from: SinisterMinisterX
Both "feel" longer than they are (in a good way).

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #878 on: September 09, 2010, 05:18:54 PM »
I don't understand this "claws coming out" that people are referring to about his wife's post. What's so hostile about it?
To me, it sounds like Rena is upset with MP and is showing her true feelings about MP getting credit
Or maybe, like almost everyone who is a fan of DT, she is upset and getting emotional. Seems a much more explanation than "THERE MUST HAVE BEEN A FIGHT OMG".

The amount of ignorance throughout this thread is actually a little irritating.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: September 09, 2010, 05:20:19 PM »
Sorry that's not how it works. If you're gonna be a professional musician, you do what the fans want. Obviously the A7X fans are giving him more love than we are.
I have no words to explain the randomness of this post.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline feehan

• I'm Finally Free
« Reply #880 on: September 09, 2010, 05:20:24 PM »
at least he finished the 12 steps

this sucks big time but will be interesting to see what they make next (both parties)
Have tickets for Wembley :D

my label page www.littleravenrecords.blogspot.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #881 on: September 09, 2010, 05:21:45 PM »

Your plan is obviously coming from the best intentions.  But IMO, it's a very bad idea and is a bit insulting to MP.  
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline AlienWebguy

« Reply #882 on: September 09, 2010, 05:25:49 PM »
This isn't just any other band. MP isn't just any other drummer. I don't think some of you are grasping how huge of a deal this is. There are less than a handful of drummers who have the creative and technical mastery that MP has, and there are even fewer bands who play off each other's creativity SO well. I'm preaching to the choir here, but guys, come on. DT has a story, a history. 3 kids from Berklee started the most technically amazing band around and created a legacy of 25 years of music that can't be touched by ANY of the shit that "makes money" or "sells out stadiums". This is affecting me more than when Mike Baker died. I mean, sure it'll be way cool if DT finds a drummer with similar talent and creativity, but in my mind I can't replace MP.

I think the hardest part of this is that MP would rather play for fans who have no clue what they are even listening to.

Anyway whatever. I need to get drunk or something. This day fucking sucks. All your hasty optimism is making me depressed and ashamed.

Peace~
--S--

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #883 on: September 09, 2010, 05:27:19 PM »
Wow...this guy made a petition. I better get back with DT.

Not gonna happen bro. Sorry. Cool tat.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #884 on: September 09, 2010, 05:27:35 PM »
I think he may just be regretting that huge tattoo on his back.

/troll
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: September 09, 2010, 05:27:45 PM »
Bye Webguy.  We'll miss you.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #886 on: September 09, 2010, 05:28:43 PM »

Your plan is obviously coming from the best intentions.  But IMO, it's a very bad idea and is a bit insulting to MP.  
Wrong quote ;)
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #887 on: September 09, 2010, 05:29:06 PM »
Dude, it's OK. Life moves on. Portnoy will move on, and so will Dream Theater. The band means a lot to all of us, but let's be rational here.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #888 on: September 09, 2010, 05:30:35 PM »
Did he just get the :bosk1:

edit: I fail

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #889 on: September 09, 2010, 05:31:46 PM »
Why would he have been banned?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #890 on: September 09, 2010, 05:32:35 PM »
My bad, someone just said good bye and I couldn't find him in the members part of the forum. My bad. I got him now.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #891 on: September 09, 2010, 05:32:49 PM »
This isn't just any other band. MP isn't just any other drummer. I don't think some of you are grasping how huge of a deal this is. There are less than a handful of drummers who have the creative and technical mastery that MP has, and there are even fewer bands who play off each other's creativity SO well. I'm preaching to the choir here, but guys, come on. DT has a story, a history. 3 kids from Berklee started the most technically amazing band around and created a legacy of 25 years of music that can't be touched by ANY of the shit that "makes money" or "sells out stadiums". This is affecting me more than when Mike Baker died. I mean, sure it'll be way cool if DT finds a drummer with similar talent and creativity, but in my mind I can't replace MP.

I think the hardest part of this is that MP would rather play for fans who have no clue what they are even listening to.

Anyway whatever. I need to get drunk or something. This day fucking sucks. All your hasty optimism is making me depressed and ashamed.

Peace~
--S--

Ashamed? Because we're happy DT are carrying on and respect MP's decision?
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #892 on: September 09, 2010, 05:33:16 PM »
I don't understand this "claws coming out" that people are referring to about his wife's post. What's so hostile about it?
To me, it sounds like Rena is upset with MP and is showing her true feelings about MP getting credit
Or maybe, like almost everyone who is a fan of DT, she is upset and getting emotional. Seems a much more explanation than "THERE MUST HAVE BEEN A FIGHT OMG".

I think the average fan assumes she understands the whole situation because she is a band member's wife, but I don't think she knows anything that we don't.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline j

« Reply #893 on: September 09, 2010, 05:34:58 PM »

This.  The minimal amount of information we have has been extrapolated into a shitload of wild assumptions and ridiculous speculations.  Now let me add mine.

Based on what little I can gather, this may not have been a bitter schism, but it seems like it wasn't completely amicable either, even if the drama is already being exaggerated.  Obviously, there's more at play than Portnoy just not feeling fulfilled in DT or whatever, and there's probably something to the "mid-life crisis" theory IMO.  I'd like to hear what each of the guys has to say about it, preferably not in the form of canned, carefully engineered PR statements.

Other people have already stated most of my thoughts on this better than I can.  I'm disappointed in Portnoy's departure (and uncertain of its permanence) and simultaneously looking forward to what DT will do next.  I didn't always agree with him, but I'm not sure why anybody wouldn't want him to do what he thinks will make him happy.

-J

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #894 on: September 09, 2010, 05:38:31 PM »

This.  The minimal amount of information we have has been extrapolated into a shitload of wild assumptions and ridiculous speculations.  Now let me add mine.

Based on what little I can gather, this may not have been a bitter schism, but it seems like it wasn't completely amicable either, even if the drama is already being exaggerated.  Obviously, there's more at play than Portnoy just not feeling fulfilled in DT or whatever, and there's probably something to the "mid-life crisis" theory IMO.  I'd like to hear what each of the guys has to say about it, preferably not in the form of canned, carefully engineered PR statements.

Other people have already stated most of my thoughts on this better than I can.  I'm disappointed in Portnoy's departure (and uncertain of its permanence) and simultaneously looking forward to what DT will do next.  I didn't always agree with him, but I'm not sure why anybody wouldn't want him to do what he thinks will make him happy.

-J
This.

People should stop bullshiting with their speculations. All we know is that Mike wanted a break and not the band, so he decided to call it quit. That's it.

Offline AlienWebguy

« Reply #895 on: September 09, 2010, 05:43:03 PM »
just wanted to come back and apologize for being a crabby bitch. all round shitty day, didn't mean to take it out on my fellow prog nerds.

peace~
--S--

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #896 on: September 09, 2010, 05:43:40 PM »
This will all blow over once the dust settles.  MP will finish his tour with A7X.  He’ll do some soul searching during the Holidays with his family.  He’ll realize that the dedication to his DT fans was his passion and to turn around and abandon them just isn’t the right thing to do for himself, his fellow DT members, and most of all the dedicated fans that helped them achieve the status that we’ve all come to know and appreciate over the years.

On a similar note, the remaining members will also come to the realization that they’ve been down this road before, several times.  Maybe not the exact circumstances, but similar crossroads nonetheless.  I’m not sure that DT can find an adequate replacement for MP in time to start recording in Jan-11.  It’s simply just not enough time.  Remember, it took 18 months for them to find the right singer in LaBrie.  I don’t think finding a replacement drummer would easier by any means.  I believe all members (including MP) will let the rest of 2010 play itself out and re-evaluate the situation in the New Year.

I firmly believe that one of two scenarios will take place next year.  1) MP will be back in the studio with DT in Jan-11 as he realizes that DT is closer to his heart than anything else could possibly be.  2) DT will only be in hiatus for 6 months or possibly most of next year working on material in the meantime.  Either way, MP will eventually end up back with DT within the next 12 months.  We all know that DT has taken short breaks before.  Maybe they need a longer break this time and it definitely couldn’t hurt.
Honestly, I don’t see them getting another drummer and running straight into the studio in January.  It’s too soon.

Quite frankly, none of this really makes too much sense right now.  Some decisions were probably made too quickly and in the heat of argument.  In time, things will settle down and everyone will get the break they need and come back together when the time is right.

You're going to be pretty pissed when January 2011 comes around. Portnoy is gone, and he's not coming back.

You don't know that for sure.

And neither do you. Let's leave it at that.

I never said I knew anything for sure.  You did.  Let's leave it at that.   :p

Nope, you definitely did. I bolded what you were stating as fact.

No, that was my opinion.  I never stated it as fact.  You saying that MP is gone and he's never coming back was a definitive statement.  Understand the difference?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #897 on: September 09, 2010, 05:45:09 PM »

I think the average fan assumes she understands the whole situation because she is a band member's wife, but I don't think she knows anything that we don't.

Uh, what?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #898 on: September 09, 2010, 05:50:18 PM »
just wanted to come back and apologize for being a crabby bitch. all round shitty day, didn't mean to take it out on my fellow prog nerds.

peace~
--S--

No problem.  I don't think anyone took it that way.  Again, I may not agree with your plan, but it is obviously coming from a good place in your crabby bitch heart.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #899 on: September 09, 2010, 05:55:01 PM »

This.  The minimal amount of information we have has been extrapolated into a shitload of wild assumptions and ridiculous speculations.  Now let me add mine.

Based on what little I can gather, this may not have been a bitter schism, but it seems like it wasn't completely amicable either, even if the drama is already being exaggerated.  Obviously, there's more at play than Portnoy just not feeling fulfilled in DT or whatever, and there's probably something to the "mid-life crisis" theory IMO.  I'd like to hear what each of the guys has to say about it, preferably not in the form of canned, carefully engineered PR statements.

Other people have already stated most of my thoughts on this better than I can.  I'm disappointed in Portnoy's departure (and uncertain of its permanence) and simultaneously looking forward to what DT will do next.  I didn't always agree with him, but I'm not sure why anybody wouldn't want him to do what he thinks will make him happy.

-J
As I said in one of the numerous other threads, the reason this has come about is because MP couldn't come to an agreement with the other guys over how to proceed. He wanted a break, they weren't happy with that. OF COURSE there is going to be a bit of upset and bitterness on either side, but that doesn't mean there is any anger, resentment or falling out going on. Let's just take things at face value instead of turning every sentence we read into some political drama nonsense.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ainamotore

« Reply #900 on: September 09, 2010, 05:55:14 PM »
People should stop bullshiting with their speculations. All we know is that Mike wanted a break and not the band, so he decided to call it quit. That's it.

Yes but to trade DT for this? Same dance different partners. Only these partners are dancing the Funky Chicken compared with the precision ballet of Dream Theater.

Mike left the best prog rock band in the world for THIS? I've tried to listen to this band, but I'd rather walk on glass. Plus wut's up with the names?

In other news... A7F has announced that the artist formerly known as Mike Portnoy is no longer. He will now be referred to simply as M. Nightfright.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: September 09, 2010, 05:56:20 PM »
 :facepalm:

Offline Aniland

« Reply #902 on: September 09, 2010, 05:56:58 PM »
LOL if that were true I'd...I don't even know.

Offline abrahamclark

• Signer of the Declaration of Independence
« Reply #903 on: September 09, 2010, 05:57:46 PM »
I share the same feelings as most of you.  My hope is that the rest of the band decides to take time off for several years and pursue interests elsewhere.  It would be nice to see them come back in five years for a thirty year “rebirth” if you will.

My honest feeling is that you cannot have Dream Theater without MP or any of the existing members for that matter; you might as well change the name of the band.  I also tend to think that DT is in need of a much needed break anyway.  They’ve been putting out a lot of solid albums but I truly feel like Octavarium was the last excellent album.  I would have liked to see them take a hiatus after SCORE and then return refreshed with a new perspective.

Either way, we may finally get a chance to see MP do one of his heavier side projects without keyboards which he’s spoken of.  Also, we may see some more great side projects from the rest.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #904 on: September 09, 2010, 05:58:57 PM »
A several year break? No way.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: September 09, 2010, 05:59:30 PM »

Yes but to trade DT for this? Same dance different partners. Only these partners are dancing the Funky Chicken compared with the precision ballet of Dream Theater.

Mike left the best prog rock band in the world for THIS? I've tried to listen to this band, but I'd rather walk on glass. Plus wut's up with the names?

In other news... A7F has announced that the artist formerly known as Mike Portnoy is no longer. He will now be referred to simply as M. Nightfright.

Where did you see that MP will join A7X? Let me tell you, he wanted to take a break, so he'll take a break to plan his next projects. Then he'll play with numerous bands because, like he said in the letter, that's what makes him happy. That's it.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #906 on: September 09, 2010, 06:00:36 PM »
He will now be referred to simply as M. Nightfright.

wat

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #907 on: September 09, 2010, 06:01:49 PM »
I share the same feelings as most of you.  My hope is that the rest of the band decides to take time off for several years and pursue interests elsewhere.  It would be nice to see them come back in five years for a thirty year “rebirth” if you will.

My honest feeling is that you cannot have Dream Theater without MP or any of the existing members for that matter; you might as well change the name of the band.  I also tend to think that DT is in need of a much needed break anyway.  They’ve been putting out a lot of solid albums but I truly feel like Octavarium was the last excellent album.  I would have liked to see them take a hiatus after SCORE and then return refreshed with a new perspective.

Either way, we may finally get a chance to see MP do one of his heavier side projects without keyboards which he’s spoken of.  Also, we may see some more great side projects from the rest.

Maybe, but that could happen in case DT were a mainstream band. They're not, they need to tour and be constantly active because they have bills to pay, families to take care of, kids going to school...They have not a cellar full of money, they need to be active. They need to pursue the "Dream Theater" project because that's the big element that's made them big and successful.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #908 on: September 09, 2010, 06:02:23 PM »
Hey, stop with the quote pyramids already (*takes off wannabe-mod hat* :lol
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #909 on: September 09, 2010, 06:03:25 PM »
The intranets hath spoken, aye
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing