Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509789 times)

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #840 on: September 09, 2010, 04:22:46 PM »
I'm with DT. I know you didn't ask but I'm saying it anyway. You?

DT, and based on current developments, definitely DT.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #841 on: September 09, 2010, 04:25:54 PM »
I think it'll still be heavy considering JLB and Myung like heavy stuff. It's a shock, but it was for the better. He could've stayed but DT most likely Would've been over if he did. that's what i get from his letter
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #842 on: September 09, 2010, 04:26:48 PM »
There is enough room in the world (and on your iPods) for both DT and whatever projects MP embarks on. Dream Theater is not just Portnoy's drums; it's Petrucci's guitar, Rudess' (and if you go further back, Sherinian's and Moore's) keyboard, Myung's bass, and LaBrie's vocals. Just because their drummer has left doesn't mean the whole DT sound has gone forever.

So I'm sticking with DT and Portnoy. I'll admit I'm not that big on A7X, but I love Transatlantic and hope they'll bring out more material in the future.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #843 on: September 09, 2010, 04:27:48 PM »
A single person is not bigger than a band.

What about Luciano Pavarotti?

:neverusethis:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #844 on: September 09, 2010, 04:28:26 PM »
I had to come out of lurking for this news, quite shocking indeed. I was a bit upset at first, but I'm definitely looking forward to DT's music in the future now (not that I have anything against MP, but it's sure to be something different).

And I'll always stick with DT. Agreed with RoeDent though, there's room for both.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #845 on: September 09, 2010, 04:28:53 PM »
I'm with DT. I know you didn't ask but I'm saying it anyway. You?
I'm DT.

MP, even before this, was getting just too annoying for me and his 180 in personality (I always felt he became different during SC and BC&SL, and his overall metal attitude, was not something I was into.)

He's living his dream right now of being a true rockstar, and I'm happy for him. However, I feel that DT has their mindset balanced. Right now, I don't feel like MP is in the right mindset. Just like your thread 73109, MP's in his midlife crisis.

Sorry if this post is moderatable or you guys don't agree with it. I just feel like this right now
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #846 on: September 09, 2010, 04:29:27 PM »
A single person is not bigger than a band.

What about Luciano Pavarotti?

:neverusethis:

BWAHAHAHA, ten points to you sir  :rollin

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #847 on: September 09, 2010, 04:30:54 PM »
Team DT vs. Team Portnoy

Hopefully its more interesting than Team Edward vs. Team Jacob or whatever the hell their names are.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #848 on: September 09, 2010, 04:32:24 PM »
Team DT vs. Team Portnoy

Hopefully its more interesting than Team Edward vs. Team Jacob or whatever the hell their names are.

I hope you know this from the Burger King commercial. :laugh:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #849 on: September 09, 2010, 04:33:05 PM »
Yeah, I don't.

???
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #850 on: September 09, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »
I know it may seem mean and unwarranted, but if Mr. Howard Portnoy was still alive, how do you think he would have reacted to his son leaving his first TRUE band? Do you think it would have happened at all?
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #851 on: September 09, 2010, 04:37:22 PM »
I'm on Team Coco.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: September 09, 2010, 04:39:02 PM »
I know it may seem mean and unwarranted, but if Mr. Howard Portnoy was still alive, how do you think he would have reacted to his son leaving his first TRUE band? Do you think it would have happened at all?
I just think he'd let his son do what the fuck he wants to do.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #853 on: September 09, 2010, 04:40:08 PM »

Maybe him leaving DT is, in some way, part of his grieving process. He also recently lost his dog, Bongo. You never completely get over losses like that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #854 on: September 09, 2010, 04:40:42 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #855 on: September 09, 2010, 04:41:44 PM »

Yeah, what does that have to do with anything?

Offline Aniland

« Reply #856 on: September 09, 2010, 04:41:59 PM »
Absolutely nothing.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #857 on: September 09, 2010, 04:42:09 PM »
Team DT still has this:

Bring it on

No but really, I hope it doesn't seriously turn into a DT vs. MP sort of thing :|. By that I mean I hope DT and MP themselves don't bring it to that, it goes without question the fans will.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #858 on: September 09, 2010, 04:42:31 PM »
True. I just was thinking how cool it was how close they were and how open they were with each other. I was just thinking it would be interesting to imagine the two talking about leaving DT and how they would discuss with each other.

God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Online The Letter M

« Reply #859 on: September 09, 2010, 04:43:17 PM »
Team DT still has this:

Bring it on

No but really, I hope it doesn't seriously turn into a DT vs. MP sort of thing :|. By that I mean I hope DT and MP themselves don't bring it to that, it goes without question the fans will.

Indeed - They still have a bear, a wizard, and a pirate. Sounds like a good joke...

"A wizard, a pirate and a bear walk into a bar..."

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #860 on: September 09, 2010, 04:45:52 PM »
Team DT still has this:

Bring it on

Indeed - They still have a bear, a wizard, and a pirate. Sounds like a good joke...

-Marc.

Sounds like the next instalment of The Chronicles Of Narnia :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #861 on: September 09, 2010, 04:46:56 PM »
And I really hope this forum doesn't descend into a DT v MP debate/battle. It's a Dream Theater forum, the focus should stay on DT.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #862 on: September 09, 2010, 04:49:27 PM »
Team DT still has this:

Bring it on

-Marc.
And this ninja dude says...
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #863 on: September 09, 2010, 04:51:09 PM »
Team DT still has this:

Bring it on

-Marc.
And this ninja dude says...

"                                          "

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #864 on: September 09, 2010, 04:53:01 PM »
I just hope their friendships remain intact or strengthen. Being best friends for 25 years and for it to end over him leaving the band would be terrible.

Offline CoF-Carl

• Wizard in training
« Reply #865 on: September 09, 2010, 05:04:04 PM »
This is a sad day.. Mike Portnoy leaving? Wow, I can't wrap my head around that.. I ended up spending the day making a tribute-video with myself playing "Best Of Times". Would love it if some of you would check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fXQzLVP8x4

Offline AlienWebguy

« Reply #866 on: September 09, 2010, 05:05:30 PM »
Hey I'm Sean. I'm the guy with the huge DT logo tattooed on my back (https://www.myspace.com/dreamtheater/photos/30554725). This news of MP leaving is devastating to me. I depend on DT to keep me sane. The thought of MP staying permanent in A7X is like pouring salt on my wounds.

Anyway, I created a Facebook group for us to mourn and petition for MP to come back: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=124638157587159

The website ComeBackMikePortnoy.com will be coming soon. Maybe if 100,000 fans let him know that we will NOT be supporting him on A7X and that he's being short sighted and not thinking clearly, maybe just maybe he'll go back to DT. Wishful thinking at best, I suppose, but knowing him and his obsession with PR and marketing, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is a giant PR stunt which will end with a DT/A7X tour where he announces his return.

Please join the group. I'm not trying to steal members off this board by any means so please keep discussions here. I was just hoping we could all say a few words to MP on the FB page.

Peace~
--S--

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #867 on: September 09, 2010, 05:07:03 PM »
Yeah...no.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: September 09, 2010, 05:09:29 PM »

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline changing_seasons

« Reply #871 on: September 09, 2010, 05:13:23 PM »
I hate changes.

But please don't petition anything. That is just wrong. We don't own Mike Portnoy.
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #872 on: September 09, 2010, 05:14:05 PM »
I'm sad he's leaving, but I'm not going to try and convince him to stay active with Dream Theater if he doesn't want to.  We can't force him to want to be where we might be happier.  It's his and the remaining band members lives, not ours.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #873 on: September 09, 2010, 05:15:01 PM »
Hey I'm Sean. I'm the guy with the huge DT logo tattooed on my back (https://www.myspace.com/dreamtheater/photos/30554725). This news of MP leaving is devastating to me. I depend on DT to keep me sane. The thought of MP staying permanent in A7X is like pouring salt on my wounds.

Anyway, I created a Facebook group for us to mourn and petition for MP to come back: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=124638157587159

The website ComeBackMikePortnoy.com will be coming soon. Maybe if 100,000 fans let him know that we will NOT be supporting him on A7X and that he's being short sighted and not thinking clearly, maybe just maybe he'll go back to DT. Wishful thinking at best, I suppose, but knowing him and his obsession with PR and marketing, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is a giant PR stunt which will end with a DT/A7X tour where he announces his return.

Please join the group. I'm not trying to steal members off this board by any means so please keep discussions here. I was just hoping we could all say a few words to MP on the FB page.

Peace~
--S--

Good thoughts, but not worth pursuing, sorry.