Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509780 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #805 on: September 09, 2010, 03:30:31 PM »
"What would you say if I walked away?"

Well Mike, I hope we have all answered your question.

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #806 on: September 09, 2010, 03:30:36 PM »
It sounds to me like "Mike leaves DT" is only half-accurate. He does make it sound like it was mutual...or almost mutual.
He did want a break, they didn't want to give him one, so this is the outcome. Styx did the same thing with Dennis DeYoung; Journey did the same thing with Steve Perry. Everyone thought that would be the end of them, but they're still doing their respective things.
It does feel like a relationship in my life has ended, though. I guess I should have done the meet and greet last year when I wanted to.
Very sad news.
By the way, when exactly did this happen? I haven't been on much and I just read it on myspace 5 minutes ago.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #807 on: September 09, 2010, 03:30:44 PM »
im optimistic because JP is still there. i dont know what i would do if he left

Offline Aniland

« Reply #808 on: September 09, 2010, 03:31:23 PM »
Mike's last interview

https://vimeo.com/14827294

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #809 on: September 09, 2010, 03:41:10 PM »
So I heard this news this morning, and have been digesting it at work all day. Was a pretty shitty day of work, which didn't help. My first thoughts were actually pretty positive, as I too am interested to see where this will take DT for future records. The lack of 'balls' will definately be a good thing. Then as the day grew on I realised I'm really going to miss MP. DT are the band that got me into prog rock and really into complex music in general, and his drumming was a big part of that initial love affair. Then to see the article he linked to on his FB page, about how DT has lost it's 'heart,' made me feel really disappointed in him. I'll still follow what he does now and in the future, but I hope it all doesn't decend into a nasty slagging match between him and the other members of DT, as i don't think many fans would take his side.

I'll definately be wearing a DT shirt when I see Sevenfold next month

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #810 on: September 09, 2010, 03:54:22 PM »
Some interesting things over on MP's forum

According some users there, the last three posts by the user Rainee are actually JP's wife. Not sure if it's true, but if they are... very interesting indeed.

https://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70293&page=5
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #811 on: September 09, 2010, 03:56:22 PM »
If that is her...

In the words of the famous Joker.

Here. We. Go.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #812 on: September 09, 2010, 03:56:38 PM »

According some users there, the last three posts by the user Rainee are actually JP's wife. Not sure if it's true, but if they are... very interesting indeed.

Yeah, that's definitely Rena. She's been a poster on there for a while. Like, years. She reported when JP's grandma died.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #813 on: September 09, 2010, 03:57:32 PM »
Did she just say that MP only wrote New Millennium?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #814 on: September 09, 2010, 03:57:38 PM »
God damn. This is making me sad.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #815 on: September 09, 2010, 03:57:49 PM »
Than I definately think there was an argument, and not sure if anyone else felt it, Rena isn't liking MP too much anymore
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #816 on: September 09, 2010, 04:02:22 PM »
I don't know how smart pointing out how little contribution to FII Mike had is. I mean, that album is always regarded as the stinker in the discography. Are we supposed to get excited that we may get something more in that vain? :lol

That being said, I have total confidence that the next record will be good. More contributions from Myung and LaBrie are hopefully in order, and there's the always talented team of the bear and the wizard. I'm really excited to see where they take it. I wouldn't be apposed to commercial appeal. I guess I wonder if the metal will be taken down a notch. They've made it seem that John is just as responsible for that direction as Mike (as far as his riffing style goes). I hope they keep it heavy, but maybe take stab at more concise songs and work with a producer.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #817 on: September 09, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »

Very interesting.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline John94

« Reply #818 on: September 09, 2010, 04:03:36 PM »
Claws are out.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #819 on: September 09, 2010, 04:04:06 PM »
yes, that is his wife.

gonna get ugly

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #820 on: September 09, 2010, 04:04:23 PM »
I hate this. Not MP leaving the band, the subsequent mess that's following.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #821 on: September 09, 2010, 04:06:15 PM »
I just don't want it to come down to me choosing sides. Although, I think I already have my mind made up if it were to happen
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #822 on: September 09, 2010, 04:06:27 PM »
Ruh roh.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #823 on: September 09, 2010, 04:06:43 PM »
Well, now we know what it was like when Roger Waters left Pink Floyd.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #824 on: September 09, 2010, 04:08:16 PM »
This is making me lol

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #825 on: September 09, 2010, 04:08:43 PM »
Your mom makes me lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: September 09, 2010, 04:08:52 PM »

At least so far there doesn't seem to be any fight brewing over the use of the 'Dream Theater' name.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Aniland

« Reply #827 on: September 09, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »
I don't understand this "claws coming out" that people are referring to about his wife's post. What's so hostile about it?

Offline the-glass-prison

« Reply #828 on: September 09, 2010, 04:10:23 PM »

At least so far there doesn't seem to be any fight brewing over the use of the 'Dream Theater' name.

lol.....yet!! If things get nasty (which i'm sure they won't) then who knows what could happen with regards to the name.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #829 on: September 09, 2010, 04:11:32 PM »
Things are getting just a little bit scary...
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #830 on: September 09, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
Your mom makes me lol

YEAH WELL

YOUR MOM

lol

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #831 on: September 09, 2010, 04:12:06 PM »
I don't understand this "claws coming out" that people are referring to about his wife's post. What's so hostile about it?
To me, it sounds like Rena is upset with MP and is showing her true feelings about MP getting credit
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #832 on: September 09, 2010, 04:13:07 PM »
This will all blow over once the dust settles.  MP will finish his tour with A7X.  He’ll do some soul searching during the Holidays with his family.  He’ll realize that the dedication to his DT fans was his passion and to turn around and abandon them just isn’t the right thing to do for himself, his fellow DT members, and most of all the dedicated fans that helped them achieve the status that we’ve all come to know and appreciate over the years.

On a similar note, the remaining members will also come to the realization that they’ve been down this road before, several times.  Maybe not the exact circumstances, but similar crossroads nonetheless.  I’m not sure that DT can find an adequate replacement for MP in time to start recording in Jan-11.  It’s simply just not enough time.  Remember, it took 18 months for them to find the right singer in LaBrie.  I don’t think finding a replacement drummer would easier by any means.  I believe all members (including MP) will let the rest of 2010 play itself out and re-evaluate the situation in the New Year.

I firmly believe that one of two scenarios will take place next year.  1) MP will be back in the studio with DT in Jan-11 as he realizes that DT is closer to his heart than anything else could possibly be.  2) DT will only be in hiatus for 6 months or possibly most of next year working on material in the meantime.  Either way, MP will eventually end up back with DT within the next 12 months.  We all know that DT has taken short breaks before.  Maybe they need a longer break this time and it definitely couldn’t hurt.
Honestly, I don’t see them getting another drummer and running straight into the studio in January.  It’s too soon.

Quite frankly, none of this really makes too much sense right now.  Some decisions were probably made too quickly and in the heat of argument.  In time, things will settle down and everyone will get the break they need and come back together when the time is right.

You're going to be pretty pissed when January 2011 comes around. Portnoy is gone, and he's not coming back.

You don't know that for sure.

And neither do you. Let's leave it at that.

I never said I knew anything for sure.  You did.  Let's leave it at that.   :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #833 on: September 09, 2010, 04:13:37 PM »
All of this attempted interpretation of tweets/statements/dissonant piano chords is a sign of frustration over the uncertainty of the future. It's only been 24 hours since the news broke; maybe we oughta wait a couple weeks/months before we determine that there is a fallout between MP and the rest of DT.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #834 on: September 09, 2010, 04:14:02 PM »
This will all blow over once the dust settles.  MP will finish his tour with A7X.  He’ll do some soul searching during the Holidays with his family.  He’ll realize that the dedication to his DT fans was his passion and to turn around and abandon them just isn’t the right thing to do for himself, his fellow DT members, and most of all the dedicated fans that helped them achieve the status that we’ve all come to know and appreciate over the years.

On a similar note, the remaining members will also come to the realization that they’ve been down this road before, several times.  Maybe not the exact circumstances, but similar crossroads nonetheless.  I’m not sure that DT can find an adequate replacement for MP in time to start recording in Jan-11.  It’s simply just not enough time.  Remember, it took 18 months for them to find the right singer in LaBrie.  I don’t think finding a replacement drummer would easier by any means.  I believe all members (including MP) will let the rest of 2010 play itself out and re-evaluate the situation in the New Year.

I firmly believe that one of two scenarios will take place next year.  1) MP will be back in the studio with DT in Jan-11 as he realizes that DT is closer to his heart than anything else could possibly be.  2) DT will only be in hiatus for 6 months or possibly most of next year working on material in the meantime.  Either way, MP will eventually end up back with DT within the next 12 months.  We all know that DT has taken short breaks before.  Maybe they need a longer break this time and it definitely couldn’t hurt.
Honestly, I don’t see them getting another drummer and running straight into the studio in January.  It’s too soon.

Quite frankly, none of this really makes too much sense right now.  Some decisions were probably made too quickly and in the heat of argument.  In time, things will settle down and everyone will get the break they need and come back together when the time is right.

You're going to be pretty pissed when January 2011 comes around. Portnoy is gone, and he's not coming back.

You don't know that for sure.

And neither do you. Let's leave it at that.

I never said I knew anything for sure.  You did.  Let's leave it at that.   :p

Nope, you definitely did. I bolded what you were stating as fact.

Offline the-glass-prison

« Reply #835 on: September 09, 2010, 04:15:39 PM »
no point in arguing amongst ourselves. It's starting to get a bit ridiculous now.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #836 on: September 09, 2010, 04:17:26 PM »
I just don't want it to come down to me choosing sides. Although, I think I already have my mind made up if it were to happen

Out of curiousity, who'd you pick?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #837 on: September 09, 2010, 04:19:43 PM »
I'm with DT. I know you didn't ask but I'm saying it anyway. You?

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: September 09, 2010, 04:21:07 PM »
All of this attempted interpretation of tweets/statements/dissonant piano chords is a sign of frustration over the uncertainty of the future. It's only been 24 hours since the news broke; maybe we oughta wait a couple weeks/months before we determine that there is a fallout between MP and the rest of DT.

Welcome to DTF where everything said/done by the band and its members get over-analyzed to the point of nausea
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline John94

« Reply #839 on: September 09, 2010, 04:22:22 PM »
I am Team DT too! A single person is not bigger than a band.