Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509824 times)

Offline muffley_mirkin

• Down the rabbit hole......
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #770 on: September 09, 2010, 02:58:01 PM »
Terrible news.

MP's tweets over the last few weeks have mentioned DT now and then. One the other day was about him having a tatoo being done on a tour bus at 3.30am and that "this would never happen in DT". Maybe he wants to experience music and the all that comes with it with a new outlook.

Hopefully some Transatlantic soon (without a 10 year gap) but does this also mean the end of any Liquid Tension Experiment.

As others have said maybe they all need a break from each other and get it together again down the road.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #771 on: September 09, 2010, 03:01:43 PM »
This will all blow over once the dust settles.  MP will finish his tour with A7X.  He’ll do some soul searching during the Holidays with his family.  He’ll realize that the dedication to his DT fans was his passion and to turn around and abandon them just isn’t the right thing to do for himself, his fellow DT members, and most of all the dedicated fans that helped them achieve the status that we’ve all come to know and appreciate over the years.

On a similar note, the remaining members will also come to the realization that they’ve been down this road before, several times.  Maybe not the exact circumstances, but similar crossroads nonetheless.  I’m not sure that DT can find an adequate replacement for MP in time to start recording in Jan-11.  It’s simply just not enough time.  Remember, it took 18 months for them to find the right singer in LaBrie.  I don’t think finding a replacement drummer would easier by any means.  I believe all members (including MP) will let the rest of 2010 play itself out and re-evaluate the situation in the New Year.

I firmly believe that one of two scenarios will take place next year.  1) MP will be back in the studio with DT in Jan-11 as he realizes that DT is closer to his heart than anything else could possibly be.  2) DT will only be in hiatus for 6 months or possibly most of next year working on material in the meantime.  Either way, MP will eventually end up back with DT within the next 12 months.  We all know that DT has taken short breaks before.  Maybe they need a longer break this time and it definitely couldn’t hurt.
Honestly, I don’t see them getting another drummer and running straight into the studio in January.  It’s too soon.

Quite frankly, none of this really makes too much sense right now.  Some decisions were probably made too quickly and in the heat of argument.  In time, things will settle down and everyone will get the break they need and come back together when the time is right.

You're going to be pretty pissed when January 2011 comes around. Portnoy is gone, and he's not coming back.

You don't know that for sure.

And neither do you. Let's leave it at that.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #772 on: September 09, 2010, 03:03:56 PM »
Honestly, I don’t see them getting another drummer and running straight into the studio in January.  It’s too soon.
Well, if Avenged Sevenfold was capable of doing that, why do you think a professional band like Dream Theater wouldn't be able to pull it off? That's an option I'd for one like to see the most - the band starting to work on the new album in January with a new drummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgqm8g95wwI

Jordan "speaks"
This was wonderful, but the last chord sent chills down my spine. I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean. I'd still like to read some words from Petrucci, though... JMX will most likely remain silent about this, I wonder if they even told him that Mike left the band.  :lol

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #773 on: September 09, 2010, 03:05:14 PM »
I wonder if they even told him that Mike left the band.  :lol
If this is the case, then Dream Theater has more serious problems than just Portnoy leaving...
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline John94

« Reply #774 on: September 09, 2010, 03:05:46 PM »
JMX is still in his cave. Practicing.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #775 on: September 09, 2010, 03:06:01 PM »
I wonder what Kevin Moore has to say about this.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #776 on: September 09, 2010, 03:07:33 PM »
:splodetard:
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #777 on: September 09, 2010, 03:07:57 PM »
I propose that for the next DT album, Bob Rock plays the drums while they look for a new drummer.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #778 on: September 09, 2010, 03:08:35 PM »
I really enjoyed that piece by JR and somehow can imagine it getting a full-band treatment. Would be cool.

I propose that for the next DT album, Bob Rock plays the drums while they look for a new drummer.

:puke:
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #779 on: September 09, 2010, 03:08:59 PM »
Get Eric Singer

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: September 09, 2010, 03:09:34 PM »
Listening to Scenes right now.  I love how musical his parts are.  I'm really going to miss him.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #781 on: September 09, 2010, 03:09:50 PM »
Two words: Martin. Lopez.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #782 on: September 09, 2010, 03:10:36 PM »
Two other words: Highly. Unlikely.

For clarification: I can see him having the playing abilities, but apparently, his anxiety issues would be a serious problem when it comes to touring. I don't think that DT would take that risk.

Mentlegen.

Offline the-glass-prison

« Reply #783 on: September 09, 2010, 03:11:28 PM »
I've now had 13 hours to try and digest what has happened and it's still stuck in my throat. MP has made his decision. Nothing lasts forever and all good things must come to an end. Basically we can either like it or lump it. As much as i know he will regret it for the rest of his life it is his choice. In my opinion something more has happened behind the scenes that we will probably never get to know about. Right now, i cant think of any other drummer who could offer DT the passion and commitment that mike has given the fans and the band over the last 25 years. As for MP coming back, I think he would need to change his mind pretty damn quickly. I hope he does. Mike, all the very best.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #784 on: September 09, 2010, 03:12:47 PM »
Mike, I'd sooner take my life away than live with losing you.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #785 on: September 09, 2010, 03:13:31 PM »
Everybody seems to think there's an ulterior motive. That isn't out of the question, but why is that a necessity? This could very well go exactly as he said it did.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #786 on: September 09, 2010, 03:14:05 PM »
Are you stalking my last.fm? I'm listening that song right now...
I AM A GUY

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
  • Waiting for the new Threshold album.
« Reply #787 on: September 09, 2010, 03:14:19 PM »
I wonder what Jimmie Nicol is doing?
It was there right before our eyes, we were blind not to realize
In the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom
We forgot how to criticize, we were scared to be demonized
As the truth was neutralized we lost the art of reason.

- Threshold "The Art of Reason"

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #788 on: September 09, 2010, 03:14:52 PM »
As I am

As am I

Offline Hampster69

« Reply #789 on: September 09, 2010, 03:15:44 PM »
I'm sad. Being a fan for 14 or so years, i just can't picture them without MP, but I do have to say that I listen to earlier songs more than last few albums and if this had to be done (Mike leaving) for them to return to their roots (and JM starts writing songs again!!!) this is a good thing.

just read on wiki: Mike and his wife Marlene (née Apuzzo) are currently living in suburban Philadelphia with their children, Melody Ruthandrea and Max John. Marlene used to be a guitarist in the all-female band Meanstreak, and two of the other members, guitarist Rena Sands and bassist Lisa Martens, are married to Dream Theater guitarist John Petrucci and bassist John Myung, respectively.

And I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that Mike & JP got a abit wasted after all the talk and Mike said: "but if I ever wanna come back John,..."  :heart

call me weird but I still see doors open to Mike come back one day if band keeps going on!

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #790 on: September 09, 2010, 03:15:49 PM »
As I am

As am I
Nuggetz?
I AM A GUY

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #791 on: September 09, 2010, 03:16:12 PM »
I...don't know what to feel about this.  I just don't see DT being the same ever again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgqm8g95wwI

Jordan "speaks"

Stunning.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #792 on: September 09, 2010, 03:16:58 PM »
As I am

As am I
Nuggetz?
Chicken nuggetz. Yum.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #793 on: September 09, 2010, 03:17:14 PM »

They could also hire a therapist so they can let out their anger on the next album in healthy ways. Try to sonically and lyrically show how they feel. I'm sure it'll be a hit.

Offline guysullavin

« Reply #794 on: September 09, 2010, 03:18:25 PM »
My biggest grudge isn't the fact that he left, its that there's a huge possibility that he WILL join Avenged Sevenfold.

Dont get me up, I cry into my pillow because he left, but I'm more scared of the fact that he may join what will probably be the next Metallica and ruin his reputation in my books.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #795 on: September 09, 2010, 03:19:09 PM »

They could also hire a therapist so they can let out their anger on the next album in healthy ways. Try to sonically and lyrically show how they feel. I'm sure it'll be a hit.

Their next album is going to be Wrath Town, then?

Mentlegen.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #796 on: September 09, 2010, 03:20:02 PM »

Maybe they can make a documentary about it?
I AM A GUY

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #797 on: September 09, 2010, 03:21:41 PM »

Maybe they can make a documentary about it?
I think they should just have the new drummer scream "FUUUUUUUUUUUCK" into a microphone, and make him record the next album with no snares on.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #798 on: September 09, 2010, 03:24:08 PM »
You saw it here first: DT's next album Wrath Town will be the next St Anger.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #799 on: September 09, 2010, 03:25:02 PM »
:lol

Offline cygnusaz

« Reply #800 on: September 09, 2010, 03:25:07 PM »
Terrible news.

MP's tweets over the last few weeks have mentioned DT now and then. One the other day was about him having a tatoo being done on a tour bus at 3.30am and that "this would never happen in DT". Maybe he wants to experience music and the all that comes with it with a new outlook.

Mike leaving DT can be very easily summed based on that experience;

Mid-life Crisis.

Simple as that. He is playing with younger guys, partying probably, seeing what a popular American band pulls in money wise, seeing the groupies (which DT doesn't get).  Heck I'm 42, if someone offered me a new job hanging with a bunch of 20 somethings, more money, and tons of groupies it might be fun for awhile.

I mean a 40-something father getting a tattoo on a tour bus at 3:30am? Come on, that's just pathetic.

DT never experienced the bombastic, groupie filled world that most rock bands enjoy. All married young, kids, and a mostly male crowd until recently.

Someday Mike is going to look back at this decision and see it for what it really is about. Psychoanalyze his statement, this is a mid-life crisis - no doubt in my mind.

If it really was about time off, he could have worked it out with the band. Or stated he will record, but sit the tour out. Honestly a compromise could have been reached.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: September 09, 2010, 03:26:05 PM »
I don't know why you guys think he'll join A7X. He says is his letter that he has more fun playing side projects, it would be very surprising if he joined another full time band.

Pretty weird, I had my iTunes on shuffle and it played two drumless DT songs. :-\
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #802 on: September 09, 2010, 03:26:25 PM »
I just thought of something - we're never going to get an official live release of the last DT tour with Mike Portnoy... ever.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #803 on: September 09, 2010, 03:28:50 PM »
You know what's strange? This is the possibly biggest blow in the band's entire 25 year history. And we're all here to witness it first hand. And strangely, most of us are remaining optimistic and have no intentions to abandon the band.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #804 on: September 09, 2010, 03:29:53 PM »
You know what's strange? This is the possibly biggest blow in the band's entire 25 year history. And we're all here to witness it first hand. And strangely, most of us are remaining optimistic and have no intentions to abandon the band.
No way man. I can't listen to a band this much then just up and leave. I'll definitely be anticipating the next release.
I AM A GUY