Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509887 times)

Offline LTE3

Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #735 on: September 09, 2010, 01:56:21 PM »
Jordan's twitter posts seem rather positive. The band is planning to start the new album in January.

Good to hear.  Honestly, I think we all know that Petrucci and Rudess have been the main creative forces for years already (with Portnoy being more like a conductor, saying, "Let's do a heavy song here," or, "Let's do an epic song here"),  so, while the drumming will be different, regardless of who it comes from, musically they should be fine.  I like where they went on BC&SL, and no more Portnoy probably means no more attempt at certain kinds of metal (which is fine with me), not to mention no more Portnoy vocals, so color me excited about the band's future.  

Portnoy will be missed, but I think his personality had almost taken over the band a bit too much, and the others probably feel a bit liberated now, being able to now continue on with the band without him ruling over them with his iron fist (which I mean in a nice way).  Ya know? :)

Not true dude, Mike and John have been the main creative writing team, especially since 6DOIT.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #736 on: September 09, 2010, 01:58:11 PM »
I cried while listening to ACOS  :sadpanda:

I agree it's no Octavarium, but it's not that bad !

ACOS is amazing. I personally rank it higher than 8varium.

lol I'm so pathetic and depressed right now. I can't seem to suck it up and move on like the lot of you. I can't imagine how things are going to work. :(

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #737 on: September 09, 2010, 02:05:43 PM »
these are the numbers from MP's forum right now

There are 80 members and 44829 guests.

Offline asira624

« Reply #738 on: September 09, 2010, 02:07:06 PM »
What the fucking fuck!?!?

When is dream theater's funeral? id like to pay my respects

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #739 on: September 09, 2010, 02:08:23 PM »
these are the numbers from MP's forum right now

There are 80 members and 44829 guests.

"Most users ever online was 977687 at Thursday, March 04, 2010 1:18 PM"

Somehow I don't think that's accurate.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #740 on: September 09, 2010, 02:10:14 PM »
What the fucking fuck!?!?

When is dream theater's funeral? id like to pay my respects

What's up Chris? Finally decided to post?  :loser:
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #741 on: September 09, 2010, 02:10:48 PM »

Offline Aniland

« Reply #742 on: September 09, 2010, 02:12:04 PM »
This will all blow over once the dust settles.  MP will finish his tour with A7X.  He’ll do some soul searching during the Holidays with his family.  He’ll realize that the dedication to his DT fans was his passion and to turn around and abandon them just isn’t the right thing to do for himself, his fellow DT members, and most of all the dedicated fans that helped them achieve the status that we’ve all come to know and appreciate over the years.

On a similar note, the remaining members will also come to the realization that they’ve been down this road before, several times.  Maybe not the exact circumstances, but similar crossroads nonetheless.  I’m not sure that DT can find an adequate replacement for MP in time to start recording in Jan-11.  It’s simply just not enough time.  Remember, it took 18 months for them to find the right singer in LaBrie.  I don’t think finding a replacement drummer would easier by any means.  I believe all members (including MP) will let the rest of 2010 play itself out and re-evaluate the situation in the New Year.

I firmly believe that one of two scenarios will take place next year.  1) MP will be back in the studio with DT in Jan-11 as he realizes that DT is closer to his heart than anything else could possibly be.  2) DT will only be in hiatus for 6 months or possibly most of next year working on material in the meantime.  Either way, MP will eventually end up back with DT within the next 12 months.  We all know that DT has taken short breaks before.  Maybe they need a longer break this time and it definitely couldn’t hurt.
Honestly, I don’t see them getting another drummer and running straight into the studio in January.  It’s too soon.

Quite frankly, none of this really makes too much sense right now.  Some decisions were probably made too quickly and in the heat of argument.  In time, things will settle down and everyone will get the break they need and come back together when the time is right.

You're going to be pretty pissed when January 2011 comes around. Portnoy is gone, and he's not coming back.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #744 on: September 09, 2010, 02:13:20 PM »
Now that my thoughts have been rationalized, I'm better with it. I was in a complete depression last night as MP is one of my biggest idols as a drummer but it's out of our hands and all we can hope for is he comes back or we at least get a great album from the guys.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member

Offline Aniland

« Reply #746 on: September 09, 2010, 02:14:29 PM »

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #747 on: September 09, 2010, 02:15:29 PM »
Than you Jordan, thank you. THANK YOU.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #748 on: September 09, 2010, 02:16:16 PM »

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #749 on: September 09, 2010, 02:16:35 PM »
Oh my god. JR is so fucking amazing.
I AM A GUY

Offline John94

« Reply #750 on: September 09, 2010, 02:19:08 PM »
Who needs drums when you have Jordans wonderful piece. That will probably end up on the album.

Offline asira624

« Reply #751 on: September 09, 2010, 02:20:19 PM »
yeah lol. im in econ now... still cant believe it

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #752 on: September 09, 2010, 02:22:41 PM »
Who needs drums when you have Jordans wonderful piece. That will probably end up on the album.

Would be epic.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #753 on: September 09, 2010, 02:24:27 PM »
yeah lol. im in econ now... still cant believe it
I'm kind of hopeful for the future though. Mike was king of holding them back in a way, so I'm looking forward to what Petrucci can do (since he is the only primary songwriter left). Also, I hop Myung can write more because everything he does is  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
I AM A GUY

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #754 on: September 09, 2010, 02:26:16 PM »
MP just tweeted this

https://paulgargano.blogspot.com/2010/09/mike-portnoy-quits-dream-theater-can.html

anybody checking that out? is MP saying something through that guy?

I have the uneasy feeling that this whole thing could turn very ugly... I'm reminded of Pink Floyd. Roger Waters left just figuring the band would dissolve, but when they actually carried on he couldn't stand it and things went so poorly from there. I hope that doesn't happen here.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline robwebster

« Reply #755 on: September 09, 2010, 02:26:20 PM »
MP just tweeted this

https://paulgargano.blogspot.com/2010/09/mike-portnoy-quits-dream-theater-can.html

anybody checking that out? is MP saying something through that guy?
Maybe I'm just being picky, maybe I'm not seeing straight seeing as it's all still new news... but does posting that link on his twitter come across as slightly bad form to anyone else?

"Check this out, this guy reckons the band I just left will flounder and says how I'm all important 'n' shiz - how cool is that!?"

I'm certain it's not the reason he posted it. He was probably just psyched to see people saying nice things about him. But it comes across a little bit schadenfreudy.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #756 on: September 09, 2010, 02:26:58 PM »
Than you Jordan, thank you. THANK YOU.

:hefdaddy

EDIT: I don't know, Rob. You may be giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure he's fully aware of how perceptions work..

Offline asira624

« Reply #757 on: September 09, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
yeah but he was responsible for the whole band. he had to be the leader, manager, accountant, whatever. he did it all and it burnt him out

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #758 on: September 09, 2010, 02:29:41 PM »
yeah but he was responsible for the whole band. he had to be the leader, manager, accountant, whatever. he did it all and it burnt him out
I'm sure they will be alright. They just need a new "frontman" to step up and be the leader of the band in the same way Mike was. Maybe Petrucci?
I AM A GUY

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #759 on: September 09, 2010, 02:30:43 PM »
Vlasto's watching us  :omg:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #760 on: September 09, 2010, 02:35:46 PM »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #761 on: September 09, 2010, 02:37:21 PM »
Question remains....

will MP change his twitter account?

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #762 on: September 09, 2010, 02:38:35 PM »

yes, but this is definetely NOT a happy vlasto day !.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #763 on: September 09, 2010, 02:39:08 PM »

yes, but this is definetely NOT a happy vlasto day !.
:(
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: September 09, 2010, 02:39:14 PM »
I'd rather see JLB step up as the frontman.  I enjoy reading JLB interviews a lot more than Mike interviews.

And that JR piece was great!  Hopefully we see more of that stuff in the new DT.  Not as much overplaying from him either.  

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #765 on: September 09, 2010, 02:40:58 PM »
I'd actually rather see JLB as the frontman too, but at this point he doesn't really contribute much to the band in terms of songwriting, so I can't really see that happening. Petrucci seems more likely to step up, imo.
I AM A GUY

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #767 on: September 09, 2010, 02:48:07 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgqm8g95wwI

Jordan "speaks"
:D :smiley: :-\ :( :'( ;D

In that order.
I'd add a  :( with that last chord he plays. I had never heard something like that coming from Jordan before, you can tell he is really sad.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #768 on: September 09, 2010, 02:49:22 PM »
This will all blow over once the dust settles.  MP will finish his tour with A7X.  He’ll do some soul searching during the Holidays with his family.  He’ll realize that the dedication to his DT fans was his passion and to turn around and abandon them just isn’t the right thing to do for himself, his fellow DT members, and most of all the dedicated fans that helped them achieve the status that we’ve all come to know and appreciate over the years.

On a similar note, the remaining members will also come to the realization that they’ve been down this road before, several times.  Maybe not the exact circumstances, but similar crossroads nonetheless.  I’m not sure that DT can find an adequate replacement for MP in time to start recording in Jan-11.  It’s simply just not enough time.  Remember, it took 18 months for them to find the right singer in LaBrie.  I don’t think finding a replacement drummer would easier by any means.  I believe all members (including MP) will let the rest of 2010 play itself out and re-evaluate the situation in the New Year.

I firmly believe that one of two scenarios will take place next year.  1) MP will be back in the studio with DT in Jan-11 as he realizes that DT is closer to his heart than anything else could possibly be.  2) DT will only be in hiatus for 6 months or possibly most of next year working on material in the meantime.  Either way, MP will eventually end up back with DT within the next 12 months.  We all know that DT has taken short breaks before.  Maybe they need a longer break this time and it definitely couldn’t hurt.
Honestly, I don’t see them getting another drummer and running straight into the studio in January.  It’s too soon.

Quite frankly, none of this really makes too much sense right now.  Some decisions were probably made too quickly and in the heat of argument.  In time, things will settle down and everyone will get the break they need and come back together when the time is right.

You're going to be pretty pissed when January 2011 comes around. Portnoy is gone, and he's not coming back.

You don't know that for sure.  Nobody does, and that was the reason for my post.  Time changes a lot of things that can't be predicted by anyone.  That's why I mentioned the time frame out to 12 months because nobody knows what will happen or how things may change.  Only time can sort this out and a lot of people are getting up in arms prematurely.  This is not a time to get pissed off because we don't know how this will pan out in the coming months.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline guysullavin

« Reply #769 on: September 09, 2010, 02:50:58 PM »
I can see JLB stepping up in terms of Media & talking about DT, but Petrucci in songwriting. Most of my Favorite songs are by Petrucci anyways.