Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 510572 times)

Offline RazielSR

Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #700 on: September 09, 2010, 11:53:55 AM »
But now everybody is gonna say stupid things without knowing, that's why I said it's better to explain a little more their plans.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #701 on: September 09, 2010, 11:54:07 AM »
I think the band should make an statement soon, a good one. They have to explain their plans.

No they don't.  And if they're smart, they won't.  They can't possibly know what their long-term plans are on any concrete level, so it would be quite dumb for them to try to be more specific only to have the information change at some point down the line.  They've said exactly what they needed to say, and said it in a classy way that shows care and concern for (1) the band, (2) the fans, and (3) Mike Portnoy.  That's really all anyone can ask.

I agree with this. I do, however, hope that they say something about the new drummer. A simple "We have somebody / We don't have somebody" would suffice. A "We have a few people to ask / We will hold auditions" would also be good.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #702 on: September 09, 2010, 11:56:22 AM »
I think the band should make an statement soon, a good one. They have to explain their plans.

No they don't.  And if they're smart, they won't.  They can't possibly know what their long-term plans are on any concrete level, so it would be quite dumb for them to try to be more specific only to have the information change at some point down the line.  They've said exactly what they needed to say, and said it in a classy way that shows care and concern for (1) the band, (2) the fans, and (3) Mike Portnoy.  That's really all anyone can ask.

I agree with this. I do, however, hope that they say something about the new drummer. A simple "We have somebody / We don't have somebody" would suffice. A "We have a few people to ask / We will hold auditions" would also be good.

This. At least something, you know. If not, it's gonna be a fucking circle of rumours.

Offline LadyEars

« Reply #703 on: September 09, 2010, 11:56:48 AM »
OMFG just when I thought this day couldn't get any worse... I come home to find this?!?

There are no words to describe the sick, sinking feeling in my stomach and in my heart. I'm going to go cry now. Seriously. This can't be happening. WTF???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 :'(
Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create.

Offline John94

« Reply #704 on: September 09, 2010, 11:59:50 AM »
To me, it is someone jumping the gun. Did Mike say he was joining Avenged? No. Is it inevitable? Kind of. But still you don't say stuff like that less than 24 hours after Mike left Dream Theater. This may sound like me spitting my dummy out, but it is not a respectful comment to say.

I wouldn't dump a girl I was going out with for a long time, to get involved with a girl I had known for a few months, the next day.

It is just like...Woah! Let it settle before you make allegations.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #705 on: September 09, 2010, 11:59:57 AM »
I don't have any inside knowledge on the situation, but I am pretty sure they have no idea right now who is going to fill in.  They may not know that for quite some time.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up having someone sit in as a session drummer in January that isn't ultimately made a permanent member.  The drummer spot is a lot more critical in DT than your average metal band, and it'll probably take a while to find the right fit.  They've got to get somebody with the chops to play DT's stuff, which isn't easy, and who is a good singer.  Not to mention, I'm sure they'll want the right chemistry.  Granted, they may already have someone in mind.  But it wouldn't surprise me if it takes quite a while.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #706 on: September 09, 2010, 12:01:36 PM »

Honestly, I think the auditions will be after the writing stage, i.e. after JP+JR wrote all songs together (I'm sure JR can whip some drum tracks together). So, don't expect to hear anything until early next year.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Aniland

« Reply #707 on: September 09, 2010, 12:03:15 PM »
That's what I'm saying though: It would be nice if they at least told us if they DEFINITELY had somebody in mind, or if they DIDN'T DEFINITELY have someone in mind. It's the kind of information that would be nice to know.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #708 on: September 09, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
It is actually his own fault. He decided to do all the other projects plus tour while the rest of the guys were taking a break.

I wish him the best of luck and a great R&R that he long needed. next time don't over do it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #709 on: September 09, 2010, 12:07:01 PM »
I don't have any inside knowledge on the situation, but I am pretty sure they have no idea right now who is going to fill in.  They may not know that for quite some time.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up having someone sit in as a session drummer in January that isn't ultimately made a permanent member.  The drummer spot is a lot more critical in DT than your average metal band, and it'll probably take a while to find the right fit.  They've got to get somebody with the chops to play DT's stuff, which isn't easy, and who is a good singer.  Not to mention, I'm sure they'll want the right chemistry.  Granted, they may already have someone in mind.  But it wouldn't surprise me if it takes quite a while.

I don't think it would hurt to look into getting a new drummer permanently and a background vocalist for touring.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #710 on: September 09, 2010, 12:08:17 PM »
That's what I'm saying though: It would be nice if they at least told us if they DEFINITELY had somebody in mind, or if they DIDN'T DEFINITELY have someone in mind. It's the kind of information that would be nice to know.

Give them some time
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Octavawake

• If you're sleepin', you're not gonna play anything
« Reply #711 on: September 09, 2010, 12:08:54 PM »
This is EXACTLY what I was freaking out about when he started playing/recording with A7X.

This is a terrible day for the music industry.

This. Nothing less than this.

Playing with A7X was NEVER a good idea.
He who gambles his money away is a fool! But he who believes in me will go to spend eternity in space.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #712 on: September 09, 2010, 12:10:32 PM »
This is EXACTLY what I was freaking out about when he started playing/recording with A7X.

This is a terrible day for the music industry.

This. Nothing less than this.

Playing with A7X was NEVER a good idea.

True, but the problem was that he felt the necessity of playing with that band too. That was the problem.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:31:39 PM by RazielSR »

Offline Octavawake

• If you're sleepin', you're not gonna play anything
« Reply #713 on: September 09, 2010, 12:31:18 PM »

It's not the 'end of the world' for DT, but its a huge change and they better NAIL the first album without Mike or they will be toast.

True. They have to get off to a good start. Think about it this way . . . we're now technically awaiting a new Images & Words.

This could be spectacular o_O
He who gambles his money away is a fool! But he who believes in me will go to spend eternity in space.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #714 on: September 09, 2010, 12:34:19 PM »
I've never been so down about a band. I'm honestly depressed...

Offline LadyEars

« Reply #715 on: September 09, 2010, 12:35:45 PM »
I've never been so down about a band. I'm honestly depressed...

You're certainly not alone.
Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #716 on: September 09, 2010, 12:37:35 PM »
In a recent interview, Portnoy seemed annoyed with James or his vocals. Does anyone remember this interview? I can't find it, but I remember it.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #717 on: September 09, 2010, 12:45:55 PM »
All I know is the next pressing of Lifting Shadows should be quite a read.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #718 on: September 09, 2010, 12:46:29 PM »
In a recent interview, Portnoy seemed annoyed with James or his vocals. Does anyone remember this interview? I can't find it, but I remember it.

I vaguely remember something like this. Has MP ever considered that people might perform better if he gets off their back about things?
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline LTE3

« Reply #719 on: September 09, 2010, 12:51:14 PM »
it's also one of the worst songs conceived.

You have to love MP's solo in the song, I would love to see that live. It is one of his best.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #720 on: September 09, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
All I know is the next pressing of Lifting Shadows should be quite a read.

:caffeine:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #721 on: September 09, 2010, 12:54:35 PM »
This will all blow over once the dust settles.  MP will finish his tour with A7X.  He’ll do some soul searching during the Holidays with his family.  He’ll realize that the dedication to his DT fans was his passion and to turn around and abandon them just isn’t the right thing to do for himself, his fellow DT members, and most of all the dedicated fans that helped them achieve the status that we’ve all come to know and appreciate over the years.

On a similar note, the remaining members will also come to the realization that they’ve been down this road before, several times.  Maybe not the exact circumstances, but similar crossroads nonetheless.  I’m not sure that DT can find an adequate replacement for MP in time to start recording in Jan-11.  It’s simply just not enough time.  Remember, it took 18 months for them to find the right singer in LaBrie.  I don’t think finding a replacement drummer would be easier by any means.  I believe all members (including MP) will let the rest of 2010 play itself out and re-evaluate the situation in the New Year.

I firmly believe that one of two scenarios will take place next year.  1) MP will be back in the studio with DT in Jan-11 as he realizes that DT is closer to his heart than anything else could possibly be.  2) DT will only be in hiatus for 6 months or possibly most of next year working on material in the meantime.  Either way, MP will eventually end up back with DT within the next 12 months.  We all know that DT has taken short breaks before.  Maybe they need a longer break this time and it definitely couldn’t hurt.
Honestly, I don’t see them getting another drummer and running straight into the studio in January.  It’s too soon.

Quite frankly, none of this really makes too much sense right now.  Some decisions were probably made too quickly and in the heat of argument.  In time, things will settle down and everyone will get the break they need and come back together when the time is right.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:53:34 PM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline John94

« Reply #722 on: September 09, 2010, 12:59:12 PM »
Pretty solid post there dubla. Sounds very logical and could actually happen. I can just see John Petrucci going - "what the fuck have we come to? We worked our asses off for 25 years to end on a sour note."

Wishful thinking, maybe, maybe not.

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #723 on: September 09, 2010, 01:01:41 PM »
I'm 100% sure there has to be more to his decisions on leaving. It really doesn't make sense as the reasons he talks about were created from the decisions he made. I still don't know what to make about the whole thing. I do look forward to the new DT though, but at the same time DT will never be the same without MP. Only thing we can do now is wait.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #724 on: September 09, 2010, 01:02:17 PM »
Oh. Holy. Shit.

I was browsing the comments about this on Fark just now and someone made the following post, to which I LITERALLY lol'd:

Is he going to get a stage name now, like the rest of the A7X guys?

Because that would make their liner notes ridiculous:

M. Dragonslayer - Vocals
Zippie Evilpants - Guitar
Syntax Darkness - Lead Guitar
Johnny HocusPocus - Bass
Mark Portnoy - Drums

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #725 on: September 09, 2010, 01:03:16 PM »
I hope it's just Mark Portnoy :lol

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
  • Waiting for the new Threshold album.
« Reply #726 on: September 09, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »
It was there right before our eyes, we were blind not to realize
In the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom
We forgot how to criticize, we were scared to be demonized
As the truth was neutralized we lost the art of reason.

- Threshold "The Art of Reason"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #727 on: September 09, 2010, 01:20:37 PM »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
  • Waiting for the new Threshold album.
It was there right before our eyes, we were blind not to realize
In the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom
We forgot how to criticize, we were scared to be demonized
As the truth was neutralized we lost the art of reason.

- Threshold "The Art of Reason"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #729 on: September 09, 2010, 01:37:35 PM »
WTF

This is a pretty shitty birthday present.
Agreed.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: September 09, 2010, 01:38:50 PM »
Sorry your birthdays were ruined, Hef and Lonestar.

So wait, do we actually have official confirmation that Mike left and is drumming with A7X permanently, or just for a European tour that goes past January 2011 or what?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #731 on: September 09, 2010, 01:39:23 PM »
Nothing about A7X.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #732 on: September 09, 2010, 01:40:56 PM »
The worst part about MP leaving is that Raw Dog was the last DT song with him on it.

lolol

True, that song left a lot to be disired.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: September 09, 2010, 01:45:59 PM »
Nothing about A7X.

I didn't think so.  Just a lot of bloggers/"news sources" talking about how he's joining A7X and I didn't see any official sources saying that.  Just making sure.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #734 on: September 09, 2010, 01:47:11 PM »
Not only is this a pivotal day in the history of Dream Theater, but also, I think, it's a pivotal day in the history of this forum. Never before have I seen it so active in terms of new topics, speculation and hopes/fears for the future. It has been a truly interesting experience coming here today and reading fans' opinions of this seismic event.

I really do hope everything turns out well in DT World. Let's keep the dream alive!  :metal