Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509773 times)

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #665 on: September 09, 2010, 10:17:30 AM »
Me neither

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #666 on: September 09, 2010, 10:19:02 AM »
This isn't a Mike bash, but did it seem to anybody else that he was wording his statement to be as damning to the remaining DT members as possible?

Nah, I think it was just his usual patting himself on the back and letting us all know that he did everything for the band. 

Offline Aniland

« Reply #667 on: September 09, 2010, 10:19:30 AM »
A couple of honest criticisms in retrospect:

1. Why are people blaming the rest of the band for Mike's decision? It was Mike who chose to NEVER TAKE A BREAK. While DT winded down, he committed to tons of other bands and projects; it's his fault that he got burnt out, and nobody should have expected DT to cater to him wanting a break.

2. I think it's a little selfish that Mike would have broken up the band if the others had left. I wonder if that factor has ever kept past members from leaving: because they didn't want to be solely responsible for Mike ending the band. Now that he's gone, and they're still together, I realize that Mike was being a little selfish in that regard.

Still...very excited.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #668 on: September 09, 2010, 10:31:21 AM »
I didn't read the whole thread, but I did see people mentioning one of Opeth's old drummers, and James LaBrie's drummer. What are the other possible options?

One of my Facebook friends said Joey Jordison... and I know he is involved with Murderdolls (and probably other stuff I'm not aware of), but in all honestly, skill-wise, I think he'd be a worthy replacement. Plus, he's filled in for tons of bands for one-nighters. Yes he's overrated, but that doesn't mean he's not really good.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: September 09, 2010, 10:38:15 AM »
Joey's personality would not jive with the other DT members at all. Mike's replacement can't just be technically skilled; he'll also have to be someone they can gel with offstage. I just don't see Joey fitting in in that respect.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
  • Waiting for the new Threshold album.
« Reply #670 on: September 09, 2010, 10:43:11 AM »
I didn't read the whole thread, but I did see people mentioning one of Opeth's old drummers, and James LaBrie's drummer. What are the other possible options?

One of my Facebook friends said Joey Jordison... and I know he is involved with Murderdolls (and probably other stuff I'm not aware of), but in all honestly, skill-wise, I think he'd be a worthy replacement. Plus, he's filled in for tons of bands for one-nighters. Yes he's overrated, but that doesn't mean he's not really good.
You should have read the whole thread.
It was there right before our eyes, we were blind not to realize
In the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom
We forgot how to criticize, we were scared to be demonized
As the truth was neutralized we lost the art of reason.

- Threshold "The Art of Reason"

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #671 on: September 09, 2010, 10:48:05 AM »

You should have read the whole thread.
:umno:

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #672 on: September 09, 2010, 10:51:36 AM »
Got the news at work today. A friend texted me with the news and i offcourse couldn't believe him. Reading the statement on mp.com left me absolutely heartbroken. I can't believe this! It's Mike for crying out loud!!

I can't really be mad, because Mike did so much for the band and the fans, but i don't feel sorry for him either. I understand him wanting a break after the INSANE schedule he made for himself this year, but it's completely his own fault, and the rest of the guys shouldn't be forced to sit and wait for him..

I don't really know what to make of this at all.. DT has been one of my favorite bands for the last 10 years, and it's the band i've followed most intensely. For all those years this was the lineup, and it will be pretty damn weird to see it change.

I've managed to come up with some positive things that may happen because of this, but it still feels weird like hell:
- New member and perhaps an outside producer, and no standout-band leader means a more fresh starting point for a new album.
- Maybe some of the old "writing-rules" will disappear, so it'll be easier for JlB and JM to come up with or bring in lyrics, ideas and maybe complete songs. Im definitely seeing the band becoming more of a unit when it comes to writing, instead of JP/JR + MP arranging.
- Mike made every setlist, decided every album-cover and had much to say in the making of dvd's etc. It will be very interesting to see how the band will deal with all this. This can become both positive or negative, off course.
- Now JP is the only main lyricist, maybe we'll see some JR-lyrics?
- I have a distinct feeling that without MP the next album will be much less "metuuul" than SC and BCaSL, something i would be interested in.

Even though, i would much rather have MP in the band, but there's a lot of interesting things this can evolve into.
Still:  :(

Offline John94

« Reply #673 on: September 09, 2010, 10:52:50 AM »
Just quoting a post from JLB forum - in case some people haven't seen it. I msut say - I agree with some elements...
With all due respect, I think the burnout that MP talks about, he brought it to himself. He was in FULL DT mode all the time. Why not delegate? I am deeply saddened by MP's departure, but all the side projects and all the commitments that MP brought to himself? If this was MP's baby, he should of prioritize or participate only in one or two projects and focus on Dream Theater. The band was (is) set to return to the studio in Jan 2011 but with Avengefold's tour in Europe early next year, I really think the band couldn't wait to get in DT mode. DT is also the other guys' priorities and that's what making them continue in Dream Theater. I am not attacking MP (we owe him tons of DT stuff), but I understand the other guys' side as well. Also, as I said earlier, DT is on top with its commercial success. I'm pretty sure the IM tour was very successful in getting new fans (and many). Why stop there?

Definitely agree with the first sentence.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #674 on: September 09, 2010, 11:06:59 AM »
I am still in shock. Got the news a couple of hours ago but haven't been able to post until now.

I concur with what lots of people are saying and, whilst I am obviously sad about MP's departure, I can't help but sympathise with the others and not him.

I don't see why the guy thinks that he can expect everyone else in the band to do things based on his schedule and what he wants to do. I mean I respect how important to DT Mike has been and I will always be a huge fan of his BUT taking on numerous side projects and then telling the other guys that he wants to take a break when they've all been pretty much on a break for the last few months or so and are now ready to get back to DT is pretty out of order.

I've also felt that, I am sure inadvertently, MP has at times been responsible for making others in the band feel less confident than they should (especially JLB). He has consistently dominated the band's process of writing, recording and touring and I feel has undoubtedly stifled other members (apart from probably JP and maybe JR) because of this.

Furthermore MP has, as far as I am aware, been the main driving force of the band in a more 'metal' direction and personally I would like DT to go back down the more 'prog' route again.

Despite all this though I have to confess I am sad to see him go and hope that one day he will return to the band. I wish him the best of luck in his future musical endeavours and am relieved that DT will carry on.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #675 on: September 09, 2010, 11:10:48 AM »
This isn't a Mike bash, but did it seem to anybody else that he was wording his statement to be as damning to the remaining DT members as possible?

It did come across that way to me. I found the tone of his statement quite denigrating and immature. It kind of hurts me to see the statement by Portnoy followed by Rudess's message saying Portnoy was an "incredible talented drummer and supportive friend". Certainly displays the difference in character between them.

Or maybe I'm just interpreting MP's message all wrong.

Offline John94

« Reply #676 on: September 09, 2010, 11:13:28 AM »
Mike and Jordan aren't following each other on twitter. To my knowledge, I am sure they were. Something is just not right here.

I don't believe we are getting the full story.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #677 on: September 09, 2010, 11:15:57 AM »
I don't believe we are getting the full story.

:lol  Of course we're not.  That goes without saying.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TJPNET

« Reply #678 on: September 09, 2010, 11:17:19 AM »

It did come across that way to me. I found the tone of his statement quite denigrating and immature. It kind of hurts me to see the statement by Portnoy followed by Rudess's message saying Portnoy was an "incredible talented drummer and supportive friend". Certainly displays the difference in character between them.

Or maybe I'm just interpreting MP's message all wrong.

I don't know if damning is exactly how I would put it, but there was definitely something there. Everyone has to do what is best for themselves, and I guess that what's happened here. I'll miss Mike, but he isn't the sole reason that I like Dream Theater.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #679 on: September 09, 2010, 11:18:40 AM »
Cheeky question...

In the slightly contrived scenario that Mike Portnoy were to return, say, seven years down the line, and resume all his previous duties (including setlists), do you reckon he'd put songs from the non-MP period onto the setlists?

Offline John94

« Reply #680 on: September 09, 2010, 11:20:09 AM »
Well you understood where I was coming from!

I personally think MP asked the guys if he could see through 2011 with Avenged and delay the new album. They said no. Mike couldn't accept that and was given an ultimatum, so he left.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #681 on: September 09, 2010, 11:20:18 AM »
Would MP even be allowed to design the setlists?
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #682 on: September 09, 2010, 11:20:37 AM »
Cheeky question...

In the slightly contrived scenario that Mike Portnoy were to return, say, seven years down the line, and resume all his previous duties (including setlists), do you reckon he'd put songs from the non-MP period onto the setlists?
I think he'll have no choice to do so. You can't just return and pretend that nothing interesting happened during your absence.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #683 on: September 09, 2010, 11:21:13 AM »
Cheeky question...

Mike is a fan's fan.  I think he definitely would include those songs.  Yes, he has excluded certain songs, but only where he has a specific reason for doing so.  
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #684 on: September 09, 2010, 11:21:50 AM »
Cheeky question...

I don't see why not. Yes has done it many times over, even though Steve Howe doesn't always enjoy playing Trevor Rabin's parts, but as that band has gone through dozens of roster changes, there's always music from every part of their band's history they're willing to play, even after Jon Anderson left, it opened up the door to play music from their album Drama.

So I don't see why not... Mike might feel a bit odd about it, but I'm sure if the other guys want to play any post-MP songs, they'll do it with him. Especially if something becomes a "hit", either with fans or even in the mainstream.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TL

« Reply #685 on: September 09, 2010, 11:22:15 AM »
I just realized something;
The final official Dream Theater release with Mike on drums was Raw Dog.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #686 on: September 09, 2010, 11:22:24 AM »
Jon Anderson pretended that the Drama album never happened when he returned to Yes.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #687 on: September 09, 2010, 11:23:17 AM »
 :rollin :rollin

Read the DT last.fm page. (the shoutbox)
https://www.last.fm/music/Dream+Theater
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #688 on: September 09, 2010, 11:25:38 AM »
Jon Anderson pretended that the Drama album never happened when he returned to Yes.

And it's a great album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #689 on: September 09, 2010, 11:30:13 AM »
People, do you see the band's statement like if it was written with desesperation, or do you feel it is solid? I mean, do you think they really feel and believe in what they are saying?

In this part:

we can assure you that Dream Theater will continue to move forward with the same intensity -- and in the same musical tradition -- that you have all helped make so successful, and which is truly gratifying to us. [7quote]

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #690 on: September 09, 2010, 11:31:49 AM »
Not sure if this has been stated yet but...

Drummer Mike Portnoy says that his current involvement with AVENGED SEVENFOLD had nothing to do with his decision to quit DREAM THEATER, the band he formed and led for 25 years. "I BEG of the fans to please NOT hold [AVENGED SEVENFOLD] responsible for MY decision... They are just as shocked as you guys," Mike writes on his Facebook page. He adds, "I had been contemplating this and desiring a 'break' (not split) [from DREAM THEATER] as long ago as last year. Everything else is fully explained in the press release" that Mike issued yesterday announcing his split from DREAM THEATER. Portnoy continues, "Thank you all for your support and understanding... This is the hardest thing I've ever done."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #691 on: September 09, 2010, 11:32:43 AM »
You know, I had a feeling that this ridiculous A7X gig would have undesired consequences . . . if he had decided to take time off like the rest of the band after the Maiden tour, he probably wouldn't be feeling "burned out". Oh well, maybe the guys will be forced to get super-creative and will release a great record. As long as JP is in the mix, I remain confident in them. Looking forward to JLB hopefully writing his own vocal melodies.

Offline Talon

« Reply #692 on: September 09, 2010, 11:33:05 AM »
People, do you see the band's statement like if it was written with desesperation, or do you feel it is solid? I mean, do you think they really feel and believe in what they are saying?

In this part:

we can assure you that Dream Theater will continue to move forward with the same intensity -- and in the same musical tradition -- that you have all helped make so successful, and which is truly gratifying to us.

Well it'd be hard for them to lie there

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #693 on: September 09, 2010, 11:33:28 AM »

In this part:

we can assure you that Dream Theater will continue to move forward with the same intensity -- and in the same musical tradition -- that you have all helped make so successful, and which is truly gratifying to us.

I'm not sure what you mean.  I'm sure it is sincere.  I think they have every intention of going into the studio in January and putting out a new album.  But I have no idea whether there is any agreement on whether or not the band is committed to staying together in the long term or not.  After fullfilling their contractual obligation with Roadrunner for one more album, I wouldn't be surprised by either them throwing in the towel or getting another contract together for more albums.  I think it's just way too early to tell.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #694 on: September 09, 2010, 11:37:18 AM »

In this part:

I'm not sure what you mean.  I'm sure it is sincere.  I think they have every intention of going into the studio in January and putting out a new album.  But I have no idea whether there is any agreement on whether or not the band is committed to staying together in the long term or not.  After fullfilling their contractual obligation with Roadrunner for one more album, I wouldn't be surprised by either them throwing in the towel or getting another contract together for more albums.  I think it's just way too early to tell.

What I meant is exactly the last part of your response. I'm afraid. I don't want to see that statement just with the business pov. I hope they are saying that because they want to continue as a band, for the music and because they have a lot to say, not because "we have to say this cause we have a contract".

Offline cygnusaz

« Reply #695 on: September 09, 2010, 11:39:23 AM »
DT may never bring Mike back. While my first response was anger/sadness/etc... I am now in 'acceptance' mode and reconsidering my harsh approach.

It's going to be a new era, Mike will be missed, but there is a possibility DT will continue their success and grow even bigger.

Plenty of bands have lost 'key' members and continued on to bigger success or at least kept the same level: AC/DC, Van Halen, Alice in Chains to name a few.

It's not the 'end of the world' for DT, but its a huge change and they better NAIL the first album without Mike or they will be toast.

I know Mike said not to blame A7X, but come on, the lure of those paychecks must be pretty appealing. If he writes on their next album, he stands to make a bundle as well.

It's the end of an era, no doubt about that. Very, very few bands thrive or even survive at the level they were at without a key member. If any band can do it - it's DT.

We all know what will happen most likely; both Mike and DT will stumble around for a few years and then Mike will come back and it will be a huge resurgence for the band.  

Anyway, let's give the other guys a chance with album 11, we own them that much at least.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #696 on: September 09, 2010, 11:46:11 AM »
I think the band should make an statement soon, a good one. They have to explain their plans. I supose they knew all this about MP in these past months and this is not new for them, so I hope they were thinking about DT without MP since some weeks ago.

Offline John94

« Reply #697 on: September 09, 2010, 11:49:40 AM »
I don't like how Mike want us to show Avenged respect.

Especially, when the father of one of their members blurts out saying "it looks like Mike has left DT and is joining A7X full-time."

Found that very disrespectful.

Brian Haner - I guess Mike is out of DT and staying with A7X. Tough decision. Wow. Great news for A7X fans. In my opinion, he is simply the only man on the planet who could take the Rev's place, (at least from a technical perspective - which begs the question, who does DT get to replace Mike???). Alas, not so great news for DT fans ...who will no doubt blame A7X.
After spending a week on the bus with the guys, I'm not surprised. He is now family. And family is what you need after suffering tragedy. God bless you, Mike!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #698 on: September 09, 2010, 11:51:56 AM »
I think the band should make an statement soon, a good one. They have to explain their plans.

No they don't.  And if they're smart, they won't.  They can't possibly know what their long-term plans are on any concrete level, so it would be quite dumb for them to try to be more specific only to have the information change at some point down the line.  They've said exactly what they needed to say, and said it in a classy way that shows care and concern for (1) the band, (2) the fans, and (3) Mike Portnoy.  That's really all anyone can ask.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #699 on: September 09, 2010, 11:52:57 AM »
I don't like how Mike want us to show Avenged respect.

Especially, when the father of one of their members blurts out saying "it looks like Mike has left DT and is joining A7X full-time."

Found that very disrespectful.

Brian Haner - I guess Mike is out of DT and staying with A7X. Tough decision. Wow. Great news for A7X fans. In my opinion, he is simply the only man on the planet who could take the Rev's place, (at least from a technical perspective - which begs the question, who does DT get to replace Mike???). Alas, not so great news for DT fans ...who will no doubt blame A7X.
After spending a week on the bus with the guys, I'm not surprised. He is now family. And family is what you need after suffering tragedy. God bless you, Mike!

??? How on earth is that disrespectful?