Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509876 times)

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #630 on: September 09, 2010, 08:34:45 AM »
Man is A7X's Facebook page a mess. It makes me sick about both sides (A7X and DT fans)

Yikes.

Pemburu Pertamax is a funny troll guy.
Makes me feel embarrassed myself.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #631 on: September 09, 2010, 08:37:15 AM »
Reading the 5/8 thread.

I wasn't aware that it redirected to the home of anonymous.

You can't honestly believe it's not a little warranted to poke a little fun at the people who act like their life is over? Especially when they're not doing it here. Some of you guys ARE overreacting a bit, I've seen someone compare it to the day Lennon was shot and someone call it the worst day in music history. It's a drummer leaving a band. Please don't take that, and the people on another board poking fun, so seriously. After all, it is NOT life and death.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: September 09, 2010, 08:38:22 AM »
Lots of great posts in this thread by a lot of people.

@Reap', Rob, and DoC:  :clap:  :uny:

@TOX:  great post as well.  One of the best things I've read on this forum in ages.

@Bacong:  You are within an inch of being banned.  Quit trolling, now.

Bosky, chill it. I wasn't trolling. Spamming, yes.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #633 on: September 09, 2010, 08:40:52 AM »
Reading the 5/8 thread.

You can't honestly believe it's not a little warranted to poke a little fun at the people who act like their life is over? Especially when they're not doing it here. Some of you guys ARE overreacting a bit, I've seen someone compare it to the day Lennon was shot and someone call it the worst day in music history. It's a drummer leaving a band. Please don't take that, and the people on another board poking fun, so seriously. After all, it is NOT life and death.

And as always, the truth lies somewhere in-between.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline limnides

• DTF.org Member
  • Dum vita est, spes est.
« Reply #634 on: September 09, 2010, 08:41:33 AM »
Man is A7X's Facebook page a mess. It makes me sick about both sides (A7X and DT fans)

Yikes.

Pemburu Pertamax is a funny troll guy.
Makes me feel embarrassed myself.

Aye, hah.  It's a shame.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #635 on: September 09, 2010, 08:43:19 AM »
I just read the thread and sorry for the few people who came over and trolled (fuck is a 5/8 member, I'll be talking to him) I was mostly serious in this thread :p

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: September 09, 2010, 08:44:15 AM »
Reading the 5/8 thread.

And as always, the truth lies somewhere in-between.

Of course, but it's a little dramatic the way some people have been acting. I'm not telling them how to act but a little perspective would never hurt :)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #637 on: September 09, 2010, 08:49:04 AM »
We're definitely on the same page about our attitudes towards the over-dramatic reactions of some fans, although we displayed in different ways. That's where the difference lies - and it's only natural to defend his own way of reacting towards questionable statements. I can't say I really approve of it, but I can see why it was displayed.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: September 09, 2010, 08:51:09 AM »
I just wanted to lighten things up :(

Bosky, you hurt my feelings saying I was trolling. :(

Offline cygnusaz

« Reply #639 on: September 09, 2010, 08:53:14 AM »
There is no other way to view this news. It's the worst thing short of someone dying that could have happened to one of the best bands in the world.

I am truly grateful for all the shows I have seen with DT since 1994. I've seen every tour, bought every album on day one.

DT could have gotten away with losing Rudess, even LaBrie. But breaking up the 'Holy Trinity' of JM/JP/MP is not going to work imo, and it's not something I am interested in seeing.

I simply cannot imagine seeing DT without Portnoy behind the skins. Or buying an album without him, in the same way I cannot imagine the band without JP or JM.

This akin to Neil Peart leaving Rush.

I personally will not be buying anything this incarnation of DT puts out, or going to see them play. I am purist when it comes to this band. My hope is that this will end up being temporary or the rest of the band will come to their senses and take the damn break.

I look forward to James Labrie's new solo album and tour, I look forward to seeing Mike in other projects. But he is the SOUL of DT, and I just cannot imagine seeing this band without him.

Thank you DT for 16 great years. Thank God I got to see them this summer with IM. The last song I ever saw DT play with the first song I saw them play back in 1994 - Pull Me Under.

Perhaps that was prophetic, the cycle is complete.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #640 on: September 09, 2010, 08:56:07 AM »

No.  It really isn't.

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #641 on: September 09, 2010, 08:56:14 AM »
This may have been mentioned elsewhere on the thread, but I'm wondering if the IM tour may have contributed to, or at least hastened, MP's departure.  DT wasn't originally scheduled to tour much in 2010, but they had this opportunity that no rational band would pass up.  However, MP wants a break from the band, and instead of a break, they get a summer of touring, and then they're in the studio in January.  

Perhaps this might all be for the best.  Assuming the replacement is as solid of a live player as MP, we might even see the return of the "Evening with" shows, which Portney himself stated he didn't like as much (on the Constant Motion DVD).  
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #642 on: September 09, 2010, 08:59:53 AM »
This may have been mentioned elsewhere on the thread, but I'm wondering if the IM tour may have contributed to, or at least hastened, MP's departure.  DT wasn't originally scheduled to tour much in 2010, but they had this opportunity that no rational band would pass up.  However, MP wants a break from the band, and instead of a break, they get a summer of touring, and then they're in the studio in January.  

Perhaps this might all be for the best.  Assuming the replacement is as solid of a live player as MP, we might even see the return of the "Evening with" shows, which Portney himself stated he didn't like as much (on the Constant Motion DVD).  
Pretty sure MP said they were going to return to the evening with format on the next tour

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #643 on: September 09, 2010, 09:05:18 AM »
I just wanted to lighten things up :(

Bosky, you hurt my feelings saying I was trolling. :(

Okay, understood.  But the way I read a few of your posts, it wasn't appreciated, so please tone down things that are obviously going to be sensitive to a lot of users here.  This is, after all, a DT forum.  That means that whether you or I or anyone else personally feels people are overreacting, this of all places is going to have a large group of people who do take this news very hard, so please be a bit more understanding.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline John94

« Reply #644 on: September 09, 2010, 09:08:35 AM »
I have a huge feeling that they will recruit JLB drummer. I also think Mike leaving is no more than an over-dramatized hiatus.

A hiatus just for Mike. I hope so anyway...

Offline Logical Nightmare

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #645 on: September 09, 2010, 09:12:11 AM »
I got a text from my friend in the beginning of today's biology lesson saying this. It completely ruined my day.

Who is going to be the interesting one in the band now? When I saw them live at Progressive Nation, and the sound died multiple times, he saved it all, and he did it so smoothly. The sound for the drums and his mic still worked, so he was the only one who could have done anything, but I honestly can't imagine anyone else doing it. Not nearly as good anyway.

I'm sorry to say it, but it feels like Dream Theater now will become... a fair bit boring. Not completely uninteresting, but they'll be like a pizza with no toppings - still good, but could be better.

I am sad.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #646 on: September 09, 2010, 09:17:40 AM »
Sad news for sure, but I think this is an opportunity for both MP and DT to become more creative. I think a hiatus would have been good for DT, but I understand why that wouldn't really be finacially possible for most of the members. I'm curoius to see how the next album shakes out. I haven't been huge on the last few, so to me there's really no where to go but up.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #647 on: September 09, 2010, 09:18:52 AM »
I completely disagree that MP is the only one with much presence on stage, JR and JLB both have a ton of character up there. Plus, we don't know who the new drummer will be yet.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #648 on: September 09, 2010, 09:20:28 AM »
I'm wondering, what will happen to Ytse Jam Records? There won't probably be new releases now that MP is gone.

Offline the-glass-prison

« Reply #649 on: September 09, 2010, 09:30:08 AM »
As much as I hate to say this.... I think this is the end for DT. Regardless how great their next album is, their live show will never be the same. Unfortunately that is where's DT's success is. Personally I really don't have a desire to see the again, it will just seem weird. I can't imagine seeing metropolis, or many other songs without MP at the kit. It just seems wrong. Idk, it's gonna take a while to settle in.

I'm very sad and upset about his news, and agree 100% with this post - NO ONE can replace MP live.

100% agreed by me. I can't see how DT can perform with a stranger behind the kit. I was all set to save up and get tickets for every evening with UK date. Now, I honestly don't see me attending any of them. I think DT could lose a hell of a lot of their fanbase over this. Only time will tell.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #650 on: September 09, 2010, 09:31:12 AM »
Oh My god, what the heck did I just read... :O DT Without MP...I wonder what it will end up like : /

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #651 on: September 09, 2010, 09:31:30 AM »
Roadrunner just posted a DT comment about Mike leaving and then their website crashed. :lol
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Logical Nightmare

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #652 on: September 09, 2010, 09:32:26 AM »
I completely disagree that MP is the only one with much presence on stage, JR and JLB both have a ton of character up there. Plus, we don't know who the new drummer will be yet.
JP, yeah, sure, but he doesn't show it much. JLB, maybe, but he doesn't seem to want to show it too much.

Maybe those two will begin taking more space now. Hopefully.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #653 on: September 09, 2010, 09:35:47 AM »
wow.. can't say im 100% shocked, and the timing was sorta ironic.

wishing Mike the best and hoping the band can keep going forward with quality music ithout him, Im sure they can find a fine drummer to do Mikes part, the writing part going forward will be interesting.
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: September 09, 2010, 09:37:51 AM »
I haven't read through the whole thread..I will..but when I saw the pic of MP golfing and saying how the A7X guys actrually were getting him to leave his hotel room, I knew things would not be the same in DT.

....What picture are you talking about?

https://twitpic.com/2gdzo0

I don't see how that pic could have helped anybody predict the future, but whatever.

Gad, like I said in my above port, MP's been saying how much FUN he's been having on this tour. When he posted that pic, he mentioned how the A7X guys have this great comraderie and they have been able to get him out og his hotel room.  I think he posted something along those lines when he posted the pic. Reading between the lines, I just knew this was going to affect DT in some way..that's all.

Ah ok. I see where you're coming from. I wasn't trying to be snippy; sorry if I came off that way.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #655 on: September 09, 2010, 09:43:32 AM »
From Wikipedia:

Michael Stephen Portnoy (born April 20, 1967) is an American drummer primarily known as the former drummer and backing vocalist for the progressive metal band Dream Theater.

Its just really weird reading that...
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: September 09, 2010, 09:44:35 AM »
What's more weird is seeing his name spelled out in full as Michael. :p
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline LTE

« Reply #657 on: September 09, 2010, 09:47:33 AM »

Neil did leave the band once. After his daughter and wife died. The whole band has said they most likely wouldn't play together every again. And now look what happened. Granted, this is for a completely different reason but I wouldn't be surprised if Mike gets an itching to come back and play with his band. I think he shouldn't have specified that he was leaving, but more of an extended hiatus for an indefinite amount of time.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #658 on: September 09, 2010, 09:55:05 AM »
Only just found out. As Goon said on Page 1, I don't know why I'm so sad about this as I barely listen to them anymore. But damn, it's really affecting me.  :sadpanda:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #659 on: September 09, 2010, 09:55:34 AM »
Peart did not leave the band.  The whole band was on an extended hiatus.  If you are gonna say that Peart left the band, the they all left the band, as they never knew if they would play together again or not.  In other words, Lee and Lifeson NEVER would have gotten a new drummer and went ahead as Rush without Neil Peart.

I think he shouldn't have specified that he was leaving, but more of an extended hiatus for an indefinite amount of time.

That would be unfair to the rest of the band.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #660 on: September 09, 2010, 10:10:05 AM »
Exactly.  Neil needed a break, so Rush took a break.

In this case, Mike needed a break, but the rest of Dream Theater did not want to take a break.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #661 on: September 09, 2010, 10:12:10 AM »
Exactly.  Neil needed a break, so Rush took a break.

In this case, Mike needed a break, but the rest of Dream Theater did not want to take a break.

True, and considering the boys in Rush have a good 10-15 years on DT, and had way more touring under their belts at the time of Neil's tragedies than what DT has now, they could AFFORD the break. It just so happens that DT really can't right now, considering the economy and the fact that the rest of the band has been on a break since July.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #662 on: September 09, 2010, 10:14:18 AM »
This isn't a Mike bash, but did it seem to anybody else that he was wording his statement to be as damning to the remaining DT members as possible?

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
  • Waiting for the new Threshold album.
« Reply #663 on: September 09, 2010, 10:16:38 AM »
This isn't a Mike bash, but did it seem to anybody else that he was wording his statement to be as damning to the remaining DT members as possible?
No.
It was there right before our eyes, we were blind not to realize
In the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom
We forgot how to criticize, we were scared to be demonized
As the truth was neutralized we lost the art of reason.

- Threshold "The Art of Reason"

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #664 on: September 09, 2010, 10:17:12 AM »
I didn't think so.