Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509810 times)

Offline EstyMaJ

Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #595 on: September 09, 2010, 06:59:10 AM »
I am still shocked by this but the only thing i have been able to think about is there are a lot of great drummers out there and I can't help but wonder what the next DT album will be like .
I guess what im trying to say is Mike is one of my all time favorite drummers and I am not at all happy about him leaving BUT there are some friggin amazing drummers out there and DT remaining members are ALL great musicians there could be some great NEW stuff coming from DT in the future.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #596 on: September 09, 2010, 07:01:56 AM »
remaining members are ALL great musicians there could be some great NEW stuff coming from DT in the future.

I hope, I just hope this doesn't mean the end of DT.

Offline limnides

• DTF.org Member
  • Dum vita est, spes est.
« Reply #597 on: September 09, 2010, 07:05:12 AM »
Speechless, really.
This is about the last thing I expected to read today.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #598 on: September 09, 2010, 07:06:02 AM »
I think a lot of this also has to do with MP's personality. Even though he is 40-something, he acts like teenanger when he's with his friends (Or at least, that's the impression I have had thanks to lots of videos we've seen of MP goofing around). A7X are a younger band, and thus they tend to have more "fun". He probably fits better under that scheme...I don't know, even though 1 night has already passed, I'm having a hard time realizing and digesting this.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline robwebster

« Reply #599 on: September 09, 2010, 07:06:26 AM »
I wonder when Mike actually made his choice, when he informed the band, and when he made it public?  Since they weren't planning on entering the studio til early next year, I kind of wish Mike would have waited to make this decision if the timeline of events I questioned happened quickly.  I respect his choice, but I just want to know how rash of a decision it really is.  It seems like he made his mind up a while ago, and by formallizing his departure he is allowing the rest of the band to find a new drummer and proceed as planned, which is what I would like to think he did.
I'm trying to work out the timeline myself. Not long enough he was claiming to be going full steam ahead for a bit of Jan 2011 studio time. But apparently this is something that's been eating away for about a year?

So... conflict of personality for a year or so, he becomes a little bit disenchanted over that time but doesn't consider leaving, then he goes on the Transatlantic tour followed by the A7X tour and thinks "I'm with the wrong people?"

That said, I'm very impressed with the rest of 'em for going "Right, well either you do the album with us in Jan 11 or you leave." I figured they were a lot more passive than that. I do think this is the right decision. For Mike and for the band. Especially for the band.

They won't struggle. They're professional musicians. Starting from scratch, now that's tough, but they managed that alright in 1989 and again in 1992 with about 1/10 of the internal cohesion. Drummer leaving? Not nearly as tricky, no matter how crucial he was. Not saying it'll be easy - it won't - but if anyone can cope with their drummer leaving, it'll be a band of four world-class, top notch, ultra-experienced musicians with a fanbase of thousands whose albums are still continuing to chart higher and higher after 25 years. This is the bit where Dream Theater prove their mettle. Heck, this is the bit where they've got something to prove again, and something to strive for. DT11's not just an album, now. It's the album. And I reckon they could knock it out of the park again. I've got every faith in them.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #600 on: September 09, 2010, 07:06:36 AM »
I cried while listening to ACOS  :sadpanda:

I agree it's no Octavarium, but it's not that bad !
:lol

On a serious note, the news struck me hard. For now, I'll just try to contain the news and leave my personal analysis for the future. I won't deny that I'm quite disappointed.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #601 on: September 09, 2010, 07:11:01 AM »
I wonder how will their newest album be recieved...maybe things are cooling down a bit on this forum and we're getting somewhat more rational, but thousands of fans throughout the world (and Portnoy diehards) are probably not going to support a Portnoy-less DT a lot..
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Talon

« Reply #602 on: September 09, 2010, 07:20:16 AM »
Rational =/= correct.
That's actually pretty much exactly what it means.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #603 on: September 09, 2010, 07:23:39 AM »
That said, I'm very impressed with the rest of 'em for going "Right, well either you do the album with us in Jan 11 or you leave." I figured they were a lot more passive than that. I do think this is the right decision. For Mike and for the band. Especially for the band.
One thing that has really come to light with all this is how off-base the assumptions that MP had control of the band were. If that was the case, and the rest really were all passive (as a number of people would insist was the case) this would not have happened the way it did. Which is definitely a good thing, shows that the remaining members still have the drive in them to get on with things!

I wonder how will their newest album be recieved...maybe things are cooling down a bit on this forum and we're getting somewhat more rational, but thousands of fans throughout the world (and Portnoy diehards) are probably not going to support a Portnoy-less DT a lot..
I don't doubt there'll be a bit of that, but I don't think it'll be a huge deal. I mean, we cope with people who complain about DT with MP, this'll just be the same but the other way round.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #604 on: September 09, 2010, 07:31:08 AM »
I'm guessing The Best Of Times will be put besides Space Dye Vest now...

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #605 on: September 09, 2010, 07:31:46 AM »
If they're still going to go into the studio in January they should probably be announcing a new drummer in the next month or so... I think

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #606 on: September 09, 2010, 07:32:27 AM »
I need Petrucci to hug me with his burly bear arms...  :'(

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #607 on: September 09, 2010, 07:33:41 AM »
I wonder when Mike actually made his choice, when he informed the band, and when he made it public?  Since they weren't planning on entering the studio til early next year, I kind of wish Mike would have waited to make this decision if the timeline of events I questioned happened quickly.  I respect his choice, but I just want to know how rash of a decision it really is.  It seems like he made his mind up a while ago, and by formallizing his departure he is allowing the rest of the band to find a new drummer and proceed as planned, which is what I would like to think he did.
I'm trying to work out the timeline myself. Not long enough he was claiming to be going full steam ahead for a bit of Jan 2011 studio time. But apparently this is something that's been eating away for about a year?

There definitely were signs going back a ways.  I don't think Mike was actually comtemplating leaving, but there were some odd decisions.  Remember, for example, the fact that BCSL was their highest debut ever, and yet they decided not to do a U.S. headlining tour supporting it?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #608 on: September 09, 2010, 07:36:21 AM »
Nope ,SDV now gets played!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setebos

« Reply #609 on: September 09, 2010, 07:37:24 AM »
Just found out about this... Still quite shocked.

Now I regret not having gone to Progressive Nation last year. I wanted to wait for an "An Evening With..." tour to experience Dream Theater live for the first time. But now it looks like I will never see them live, at least not in the way I know and have come to love them. :|

The reason Mike gives for his departure seems a little weird to me, though.
I mean, if you have worked together for 25 years, you think you should be able to finde a way to make it work somehow and not just go different ways. But I guess Mike grew a little apart from the rest of the band and maybe they grew apart of him, too. He did seem to have more fun with his side projects, so I guss his leaving is for the best, although at this point I can't really imagine DT without Portnoy.

I really hope JP, JR, JLB and JMX can work this out, find a worthy successor and keep the dream alive.  :hefdaddy

Offline robwebster

« Reply #610 on: September 09, 2010, 07:37:29 AM »
One thing that has really come to light with all this is how off-base the assumptions that MP had control of the band were. If that was the case, and the rest really were all passive (as a number of people would insist was the case) this would not have happened the way it did. Which is definitely a good thing, shows that the remaining members still have the drive in them to get on with things!
Aye. I think this concept of MP's complete and unadultered control is one of those things that passed into fanon. MP's input was the only bit anyone really saw from the outside, due to MP being very outgoing, very visible, very public about being obsessive, very outspoken about what "his lot" in the band was. So a lot of people - myself included, although not to quite such an extent as some perhaps - kind of went "Right, this is literally all we ever get to see. Is he basically the only engine?" We only saw more of him 'cause he was a leader, and more outspoken and open than the others. (And WAY more open than KevMo.) I'm very happy that they've gone "We want you, but there's more to the band than just you. Are you coming or going?" That's a very ballsy decision, a very brave decision, and absolutely quashes any doubt that they might not be up to the challenge. They've laid down the gauntlet themselves. Ace.

I say it all the time, but dirty magnifying glass. Some bits get exaggerated, others are obscured completely. We don't realise how ridiculously warped and limited our "insight" is.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: September 09, 2010, 07:39:59 AM »
Something to notice: in September of 25years ago Dream Theater were formed.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #612 on: September 09, 2010, 07:42:28 AM »
I wonder when Mike actually made his choice, when he informed the band, and when he made it public?  Since they weren't planning on entering the studio til early next year, I kind of wish Mike would have waited to make this decision if the timeline of events I questioned happened quickly.  I respect his choice, but I just want to know how rash of a decision it really is.  It seems like he made his mind up a while ago, and by formallizing his departure he is allowing the rest of the band to find a new drummer and proceed as planned, which is what I would like to think he did.

There definitely were signs going back a ways.  I don't think Mike was actually comtemplating leaving, but there were some odd decisions.  Remember, for example, the fact that BCSL was their highest debut ever, and yet they decided not to do a U.S. headlining tour supporting it?
That's a very good point.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: September 09, 2010, 07:46:30 AM »
Something to notice: in September of 25years ago Dream Theater were formed.

Actually, not DT foundation, but in September 1985 John Petrucci and John Myung met for the first time Portnoy.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #614 on: September 09, 2010, 07:48:55 AM »
this will reach 2000 posts in no time.    :yarr

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #615 on: September 09, 2010, 07:50:53 AM »
So i just found out about this now, and even though i don't listen as much to DT now as i used to, im pretty shocked.
Mike Portnoy = Dream Theater for me, by that i dont mean that he's the whole band, more like that i cant imagine him not being in the band. (if that makes any sense)
It's pretty sad to hear.  :-\

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: September 09, 2010, 07:56:01 AM »
Good news: I finally stopped crying.

Edit: but my urge to vomit returned. Damn it.
And we wonder why we have trolls coming on here?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #617 on: September 09, 2010, 07:57:32 AM »

Not the rest of them - Petrucci.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #618 on: September 09, 2010, 08:04:26 AM »
I'd like to say that I started my day by listening to ACOS, Wither, then The Count Of Tuscany. These songs have an entirely new set of emotional value to me. To the future, everyone.

The outro of TCOT, fuck man.. it just sounds like it's the ending of an era.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #619 on: September 09, 2010, 08:06:30 AM »
Wow, this bothers me, a lot.

I was on Charlie Dominici's official facebook page, and someone had told him about Mike leaving, possibly because of A7X, then Charlie put "I'm sure it was only a part of the picture."

However, then he put "Wait did he leave or get kicked out LOL?"

Then he went on Avenged Sevenfold's page and put "\m/"
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #620 on: September 09, 2010, 08:06:48 AM »
As much as I hate to say this.... I think this is the end for DT. Regardless how great their next album is, their live show will never be the same. Unfortunately that is where's DT's success is. Personally I really don't have a desire to see the again, it will just seem weird. I can't imagine seeing metropolis, or many other songs without MP at the kit. It just seems wrong. Idk, it's gonna take a while to settle in.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: September 09, 2010, 08:08:31 AM »
I'm actually really excited to see and her the new DT. I haven't been this excited for DT in a long time.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #622 on: September 09, 2010, 08:12:59 AM »
As much as I hate to say this.... I think this is the end for DT. Regardless how great their next album is, their live show will never be the same. Unfortunately that is where's DT's success is. Personally I really don't have a desire to see the again, it will just seem weird. I can't imagine seeing metropolis, or many other songs without MP at the kit. It just seems wrong. Idk, it's gonna take a while to settle in.

I'm very sad and upset about his news, and agree 100% with this post - NO ONE can replace MP live.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #623 on: September 09, 2010, 08:13:59 AM »
Man is A7X's Facebook page a mess. It makes me sick about both sides (A7X and DT fans)
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline predator13

« Reply #624 on: September 09, 2010, 08:15:20 AM »
I'd hate to be the drummer that has to learn the DT catalogue.  That would be a challenge to say the least.
You can make a fortune in pies; you can keep a giant alive.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #625 on: September 09, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
I'd hate to be the drummer that has to learn the DT catalogue.  That would be a challenge to say the least.

I'm sure that there are quite a few drummers who love challenges and who'd love to accept one such as this.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: September 09, 2010, 08:22:16 AM »

I'm sure that there are quite a few drummers who love challenges and who'd love to accept one such as this.

This, also it wouldn't be like he would have to learn the entire catalog in one sitting. It would be something that would come about slowly. I think there are many drummers out there who are up to the challenge and being professionals would probably be able to handle it.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #627 on: September 09, 2010, 08:22:43 AM »
Man is A7X's Facebook page a mess. It makes me sick about both sides (A7X and DT fans)

im a fan of both bands, but i wouldnt mind demolishing a couple a7x fans at the moment

Offline limnides

• DTF.org Member
  • Dum vita est, spes est.
« Reply #628 on: September 09, 2010, 08:25:01 AM »

Yikes.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: September 09, 2010, 08:30:32 AM »

Yikes.

Pemburu Pertamax is a funny troll guy.