Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509812 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #525 on: September 09, 2010, 12:49:02 AM »
Jon Anderson left Yes. What happened?

here are some of my thoughts

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #526 on: September 09, 2010, 12:50:32 AM »

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #527 on: September 09, 2010, 12:56:37 AM »
You're a little late for that to be dramatic.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #528 on: September 09, 2010, 01:02:46 AM »
Just found out.  Very sad indeed, but for a band to have the great run that they did with that solid of a lineup is a gift to all of us. Thanks Mike, and Ihhope to see you back.  :sadpanda:

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #529 on: September 09, 2010, 01:10:21 AM »
I've started my binge through DT's discography...
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: September 09, 2010, 01:12:47 AM »
Listening to The Glass Prison right now...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #531 on: September 09, 2010, 01:18:50 AM »
I'm creating a playlist/CD-mix of MP-penned songs...all of them, plus related instrumentals.

Here's my working set list as of right now (after going through a dozen different track orders):

10:15 - "The Mirror" (Demo Version)
11:36 - "Raise the Knife"
 6:46 - "Never Enough" ->
 8:56 - "Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu"  (Making Of SFAM Alternate Mix)
 5:28 - "Just Let Me Breathe"
 6:55 - "Constant Motion"
10:14 - "Honor Thy Father"
 8:20 - "New Millennium"
13:03 - "Home" (Making Of SFAM Alternate Mix)
 5:43 - "Ytse Jam"
 9:45 - "Burning My Soul/Hell's Kitchen" ->
11:56 - "Finally Free"  (Making Of SFAM Alternate Mix + My own edits at the end) ->
55:51 - "The Twelve Step Suite" (My remix of the suite, not one track but that's the total length)
 5:11 - "Eve"
13:07 - "The Best of Times"
23:06 - "A Change of Seasons"

The end of "Raise The Knife" is the same key as "Never Enough" so the transition is pretty sweet. Also, JLMB followed by CM is pretty sweet too.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:25:02 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #532 on: September 09, 2010, 01:23:12 AM »
WTF?!

What a terrible way to wake up.

This.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: September 09, 2010, 01:23:34 AM »
I don't know if I'll be wanting to listen to DT at the moment. Perhaps a needed "break" from them would be healthy.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #534 on: September 09, 2010, 01:25:28 AM »
fuck.. im like super depressed right now...

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #535 on: September 09, 2010, 01:35:11 AM »
:(

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #536 on: September 09, 2010, 01:51:18 AM »
I went through four of the five stages of death, but I just can't accept this.

I'm going to go paint it out...

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #537 on: September 09, 2010, 02:15:56 AM »
My girlfriend texted this to me. I laughed and didn't believe her. Then I logged into my Twitter account on my phone and saw Jordan's latest tweets. :(

Dear GOD! He really is the last person I expected to leave this band. I seem to remember him saying that the current line-up is so great that if any of them were to leave now, it would be the end of DT. Well, I'm glad that isn't the case.

Even though I'm still in shock, I'm glad that they are continuing. Finding a drummer with Portnoy's skills probably won't be that hard, not when you've got the reputation that DT has.

But who is going to take care of Ytse Jam shop? The rotating set lists? The interviews? And a TON of other things he does that none of us knows anything about. :(

And to think I listened to Transatlantic's The Whirlwind this morning, being angry that I couldn't listen to the whole piece. I'm really glad if this leads to more Transatlantic records, but...

BUT WHAT ABOUT DT!!!! :sadpanda:
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #538 on: September 09, 2010, 02:24:10 AM »
This is unexpected.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: September 09, 2010, 02:25:38 AM »
Bah, too bad. But I can't say I'm shocked to hear it.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #540 on: September 09, 2010, 03:15:07 AM »
Yeah I'm pretty much doing the same. Listened to most of BSCL on the way to work, and since arriving have finished that off and am now nearing the end of ACOS.

I've also now finished reading through the full thread. The news shocked me, but only two things have so far brought a tear to my eye:
- TOX's post. Seriously, the way it ended made me feel incredibly sad.
- The end of The Shattered Fortress. When the TGP reprise came in, it hit me that this really is the end of an era.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline the-glass-prison

« Reply #541 on: September 09, 2010, 03:24:05 AM »
I'm gutted but not surprised. I wish MP all the very best. I look back at all the DT shows I have been to with fond memories. It hurts to think that I will never see MP behind that monster kit at a DT show again. My mind is numb, I just can't think straight now.  :sad: :angry:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: September 09, 2010, 03:26:11 AM »
Yeah I'm pretty much doing the same. Listened to most of BSCL on the way to work, and since arriving have finished that off and am now nearing the end of ACOS.

I've also now finished reading through the full thread. The news shocked me, but only two things have so far brought a tear to my eye:
- TOX's post. Seriously, the way it ended made me feel incredibly sad.
- The end of The Shattered Fortress. When the TGP reprise came in, it hit me that this really is the end of an era.

Yeah. ToX's post needs to be archived, or something. Nominated for POTY.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #543 on: September 09, 2010, 03:41:57 AM »
WTF

This is a pretty shitty birthday present.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #544 on: September 09, 2010, 03:54:35 AM »
Now that I've seen more posts, I like how, as always, Jordan keeps looking forward and being optimistic. Gonna need that always in a band.... Good job, Wiz ;)

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #545 on: September 09, 2010, 03:56:18 AM »
I'm speechless... I had the impression he was the one band member who would stick with DT until the bitter end.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #546 on: September 09, 2010, 04:08:18 AM »
WTF

This is a pretty amazing birthday present.

wtf is the internet?

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #547 on: September 09, 2010, 04:10:58 AM »
I think this is going to be a relively long post. Bear with me if you want. If you ignore it, that's okay too.

I came back from a movie tonight at around one o'clock this morning. When I opened up my laptop and logged into MSN, I received an offline message from my guitarist saying, "MIKE PORTNOY LEFT?!?!?!?!?! MIKE PORTNOY LEFT?!?!?!?!"

"No fucking way," I thought, "not Dream Theater."

I jumped on here immediately and saw the news, I headed over to Blabbermouth and saw it. I literally started to cry. I'm still in shock and the very thought of Mike not being in Dream Theater scares the shit out of me. Mike is/was Dream Theater in my honest opinion.

As a drummer, this hits me very hard since I very much look up to Mike Portnoy because it was him who influenced me to expand my style of playing, encorporating odd-time signatures, etc. I know I'm talking about him as if he were dead but I'm sorry; I'm just as much a fan of Dream Theater and from a drummer's point of view, I learned so goddamn much from him as an individual drummer and a member of Dream Theater.  And seeing him live at Massey Hall on March 25th, 2004 on the Train Of Thought world tour in Toronto is something that I will never forget.

I read this thread from beginning to end and I too believe that Mike will be back soon. I hope to God he comes back. I just don't see Mike not doing anything with the band that he pretty much carried on his back for over twenty-five years. I honestly think after some time and rest, he will come back and he will be stronger, better, and more clear-headed than ever. I never expected this to happen, to be quite honest. I just sincerely hope that he comes back and puts out a whole new slew of Dream Theater records because I personally thought that Black Clouds And Silver Linings was their best release in over a decade.

If he doesn't come back, however, I wish him nothing but the best and I hope he is happy with his choce(s).

And personally- just by short of a miracle that he is reading this page: Thank you, Mike. I have been admiring you since I was eleven years old. I have much to owe you in terms of music appreciation, drumming, and discovering your band which has taken me on such an extraordinary journey that I could never thank you enough.

Cheers, Mike.

Carpe diem. Seize the day.  
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #548 on: September 09, 2010, 04:12:33 AM »
I think I recall Mike almost leaving DT after FII? I don't think this is completely unexpected, he is a passionate man, and if things aren't going he's way, he will usually do something about it.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #549 on: September 09, 2010, 04:17:48 AM »
You know what...

I absolutely love Mike. He's one heck of a guy. He might be one of the best drummers on the planet, and a huge creative force in Dream Theater in every way you can imagine. But if he decided to leave the band, so be it, even though I can't even imagine how it would feel like without him. I wish him luck and happiness. Dream Theater just can't end. Huge support towards LaBrie, Myung, Petrucci and Rudess. I can't wait to see who the new drummer is.

Keep the dream alive, guys!

:metal

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: September 09, 2010, 04:19:05 AM »
I almost am mad at some of you guys and how easy you are letting this situation go.

I'm all for looking at the positives, but it worries me to see so many "This is great for the sound of the band!" reactions.

Its 2 a.m. here and I don't think I'll be sleeping.

I'm so upset....

And  I don't understand how people lose sleep over a band member deciding to move on, there were so many " I cried " posts I actually thought I was going to get sick. Its not like the man has died nor the band break up.

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #551 on: September 09, 2010, 04:28:23 AM »
I can't believe it.  Today has been surreal.  I found out that two people I was in hospital with who had the same disease as me had died, one from the disease and one suicide.  Then I found out that my friend has hours left to live.  And now home to find this.  It feels like I'm dreaming.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #552 on: September 09, 2010, 04:29:13 AM »
 :omg:
European n00b since Octavarium here.

Woke up went to work and looked as usual to blabbermouth.net then I watched the news.
Big fucking news!

Didn't imagine one of the bands mastermind would ever leave the band. I've said LaBrie in the other thread "pull a Kevin Moore" because I thought he might be in danger of the MP non happy with vocals answers but this took me by surprise, most have said correctly if Lars left Metallica it would be same.

MP was a huge part of the band and I understand the burning out. He was apart from LaBrie and Rudess on few occasions the voice to the press of the band, the mentor of b-sides/bootlegs selling of the band. He pushed the band to the maximum and I love songs like The Best of Times and Metropolis.

But hey this is clear I think, probably a amicable split.

To be honest I don't believe the "DT are poor and wanted to make a new album to earn money". There are more these days than CD sales. They are a popular and unique band in the metal world and if they stopped for one year they wouldn't have gasoline for their Ferraris because merchandise sells and cds sell too even in stale years.

JP and company probably love DT more than MP these days and want to carry on. The Band had set up after the end of Prog Nation that 2010 would be a quiet year to write and prepare for the next album. James LaBrie probably could have saved some of his material for if MP had not agreed for that one year hiatus.
Then MP has a reunion with the band to extend the hiatus. If I were in the band I wouldn't agree either. MP hasn't stopped touring and making records with others and enjoying it, the band thought probably that he isn't into it, doesn't like LaBrie vocals and loves more other bands more these days.

Only time will tell who DT picks as a new drummer and how they will make the new album. MP will be in AS, Transatlantic and in other bands, he won't disappear IMO.

Only time will tell now...  probably DT will change and JM and JLB become more into the bands songwriting.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: September 09, 2010, 04:31:46 AM »
From Facebook:
I BEG of the fans to please NOT hold A7X responsible for MY decision...they are just as shocked as you guys..I had been contemplating this and desiring a "break" (not split) as long ago as last year...everything else is fully explained in the press release...thank you all for your support and understanding...this is the hardest thing I've ever done... : (

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #554 on: September 09, 2010, 04:33:51 AM »
I understand the band wanting to continue.  I mean, Mike wanted a hiatus, and the band is on one, and weren't planning to reconvene until January at the earliest anyway.  It's not the band's fault that Mike filled up his schedule with other stuff.

I am confident that DT can find another drummer.  Their biggest adjustment will be how to divvy up all of MP's non-musical responsibilities.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #555 on: September 09, 2010, 04:41:09 AM »
The only problem is now I gotta change my avatar...  :facepalm:

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #556 on: September 09, 2010, 04:42:06 AM »
The only problem is now I gotta change my avatar...  :facepalm:

To say what? "15 Minutes and I'm Outtta Here!"?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: September 09, 2010, 04:58:22 AM »
I understand the band wanting to continue.  I mean, Mike wanted a hiatus, and the band is on one, and weren't planning to reconvene until January at the earliest anyway.  It's not the band's fault that Mike filled up his schedule with other stuff.

Yeah I somehow get the feeling that he brought this on himself, by doing a lot of side-projects when they were going to take 2010 off. And now that he finally wants to have a break, the other guys feel like they've had their hiatus and wants to continue doing DT music. Or I'm just confused right now. Angry, sad, disappointed.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #558 on: September 09, 2010, 05:07:40 AM »
This is a fucking disaster. Portnoy was with Petrucci the most important member of this band while composing. He has composed wonderful songs.

Now it will never be the same again, that's for sure. And let's see how are they gonna find a drummer to replace MIKE PORTNOY.
Fuck, this is insane. I'm angry. Shit, fucking shit.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #559 on: September 09, 2010, 05:07:58 AM »
This may be a one time event on earth, but DT is kind of famous at the moment. Kind of sad it's because of bad news.