Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509784 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #455 on: September 08, 2010, 10:44:03 PM »
The worst part about MP leaving is that Raw Dog was the last DT song with him on it.

lolol

OK. Now I'm depressed.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline OptionalPlayer

• Comprised of a series of ones and zeros
« Reply #456 on: September 08, 2010, 10:49:23 PM »
Jordan Rudess on Twitter right now:

https://twitter.com/Jcrudess
"I'll miss Mike because not only is he an incredibly talented drummer and friend, but he's always supportive of me and my sonic adventures!"

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #457 on: September 08, 2010, 10:51:55 PM »
5 years... 8 years. So what? Until the band get a lot older, there is always the chance of a reunion, I mean look at Iron Maiden. Considering that they are what, a good 10-15 years ahead of the DT guys, we can always get a triumphant return a la Brave New World. King Crimson are even further on the radar. My only concern is after DT find a replacement drummer, then Portnoy is all "oh hey guys, reunion?", and then there is an awkward two drummers on stage thing. Though it was fine with Derek... I dunno. I'm still rather shocked from this whole thing :(

edit: Steve Harris left Iron Maiden and they.... oooh. Okay they didn't do so good :(

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #458 on: September 08, 2010, 10:54:30 PM »

"I'll miss Mike because not only is he an incredibly talented drummer and friend, but he's always supportive of me and my sonic adventures!"

Offline robwebster

« Reply #459 on: September 08, 2010, 10:54:57 PM »

Hahahahahaha. Brilliant. Proper laughed at that.

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #460 on: September 08, 2010, 10:56:14 PM »
I can count the number of times I've been this stunned (and consequently depressed) on one hand.  I don't even know how to react right now.  I really refuse to believe that he has left DT for good.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #461 on: September 08, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
Not to be off-topic, but DAMN that game was awesome.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #462 on: September 08, 2010, 11:02:21 PM »
The worst part about MP leaving is that Raw Dog was the last DT song with him on it.

lolol

How about "The Best of Times" being the last DT song he ever wrote lyrics for (when looking at the songs in chronological order on the CDs)?  That is kind of cool when you think about it. :coolio

Offline robwebster

« Reply #463 on: September 08, 2010, 11:03:28 PM »

lolol

How about "The Best of Times" being the last DT song he ever wrote lyrics for (when looking at the songs in chronological order on the CDs)?  That is kind of cool when you think about it. :coolio
Finished his suite, wrote a tribute to his dad, then left.

That's pretty good by my book.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #464 on: September 08, 2010, 11:04:20 PM »

Fuck you, dude. That caught me totally off guard.  :lol

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #465 on: September 08, 2010, 11:05:53 PM »
Not to be off-topic, but DAMN that game was awesome.

I agree :metal
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline LearningToLive

« Reply #466 on: September 08, 2010, 11:06:46 PM »
Wow, this really sucks. DT is gonna feel Portnoy's loss big time.  Who knows, maybe (hopefully) they'll get back together eventually... no drummer can replace him.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #467 on: September 08, 2010, 11:06:58 PM »
The tourography better not go anywhere! I need that thing!
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #468 on: September 08, 2010, 11:09:47 PM »

lolol

How about "The Best of Times" being the last DT song he ever wrote lyrics for (when looking at the songs in chronological order on the CDs)?  That is kind of cool when you think about it. :cool

I'll always remember, those were the best of times.

Fuck you, dude. That caught me totally off guard.  :lol

:heart

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #469 on: September 08, 2010, 11:15:54 PM »
Lots of great posts in this thread by a lot of people.

@Reap', Rob, and DoC:  :clap:  :uny:

@TOX:  great post as well.  One of the best things I've read on this forum in ages.

@Bacong:  You are within an inch of being banned.  Quit trolling, now.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline *troll=banned*

• I bet Mike has a big penis!
« Reply #470 on: September 08, 2010, 11:39:02 PM »

THIS IS A TERRIBLE DAY FOR ME :[

I am a big DT fan and I always thought Mike was the best. He is a really good looking guy and I loved his smile. I remember when I met him and we hugged I touched his bum a bit and it was so great. I think I had fantasies about it for months!

I remember when someone posted that video of him and his kids on Facebook, I imagined being part of his household and hanging out with him and his kids... his wife was never there. I guess that means something?

Anyway I am very sad about this and I really hope that he reconsiders. I will be watching him whatever he does but leaving DT is a bad decision in my opinion. We will miss you Mike, come back soon!

From John

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #471 on: September 08, 2010, 11:41:40 PM »
I don't know, there's a part of me that is excited for what the new music will bring. A part of me that really longs for the 90s style of DT to possibly come back through this. There really is.

But, there is also a part of me that almost wishes that the band would just stay together and release less-than-stellar material over and over. There is something about the five guys in this band that is almost a balancing nature in my life. "I am OK today because Mike Portnoy is still in the band," you know? Waking up knowing that the band that I grew up on through high school and college isn't together in it's purest form kind of frightens me. How can I get on through the day knowing that I'll never see another Dream Theater show that doesn't contain who was essential the "father" of the band?

All of these things trouble me very deeply. I guess I'll just have to learn, and come to accept the fact that my life may never be stable again..
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #472 on: September 08, 2010, 11:47:44 PM »
I remember when I met him and we hugged I touched his bum a bit and it was so great. I think I had fantasies about it for months!

You'll fit in here just fine.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #473 on: September 08, 2010, 11:48:42 PM »
Remember the "Wither" video?  Suddenly, that almost seems like they all knew he was leaving and that was a tribute to their time together.

Offline *troll=banned*

« Reply #474 on: September 08, 2010, 11:49:38 PM »
Remember the "Wither" video?  Suddenly, that almost seems like they all knew he was leaving and that was a tribute to their time together.

Mike looked so good in that, I've watched that video like 10 times already today!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #475 on: September 08, 2010, 11:49:48 PM »
Yea, there's no way I'm reading 14 pages. Jackie told me she got some texts about it, we didn't take it seriously, guess we should. I'll tell her when she wakes up.

But since I'm not reading through all of this, is there anything else beyond Portnoy leaving? Any other news I should know about?

Please be serious.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #476 on: September 08, 2010, 11:51:05 PM »
Yea, there's no way I'm reading 14 pages. Jackie told me she got some texts about it, we didn't take it seriously, guess we should. I'll tell her when she wakes up.

But since I'm not reading through all of this, is there anything else beyond Portnoy leaving? Any other news I should know about?

Please be serious.

I heard that JMX might leave next.. But it was probably a rumor.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline *troll=banned*

« Reply #477 on: September 08, 2010, 11:51:30 PM »

Please be serious.

Well I heard that he wants to start a solo project where he plays all the instruments and sings. I think it would be pretty sweet!

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #478 on: September 08, 2010, 11:52:16 PM »
Jordan's twitter posts seem rather positive. The band is planning to start the new album in January.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #479 on: September 08, 2010, 11:58:41 PM »
A few things are on my mind:

I'm totally shocked. Such a thread on an empty stomach is definitely not the best thing.

What strikes me as the most surprising thing is that DT want to go on without MP. I always thought that without any of the founding members, DT would be history.

I can't really look into the band's future right now. No drummer right now, and we don't know who's going to take over as a band leader (maybe JP?).

That said, I was always a bit critical towards MP, but I always like his drumming chops. It's a very sad day for DT and the fan community, and I hope that DT will find a drummer that will suit their style.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #480 on: September 08, 2010, 11:59:50 PM »
Jordan's twitter posts seem rather positive. The band is planning to start the new album in January.

Good to hear.  Honestly, I think we all know that Petrucci and Rudess have been the main creative forces for years already (with Portnoy being more like a conductor, saying, "Let's do a heavy song here," or, "Let's do an epic song here"),  so, while the drumming will be different, regardless of who it comes from, musically they should be fine.  I like where they went on BC&SL, and no more Portnoy probably means no more attempt at certain kinds of metal (which is fine with me), not to mention no more Portnoy vocals, so color me excited about the band's future.  

Portnoy will be missed, but I think his personality had almost taken over the band a bit too much, and the others probably feel a bit liberated now, being able to now continue on with the band without him ruling over them with his iron fist (which I mean in a nice way).  Ya know? :)

Offline *troll=banned*

« Reply #481 on: September 09, 2010, 12:00:57 AM »

Good to hear.  Honestly, I think we all know that Petrucci and Rudess have been the main creative forces for years already (with Portnoy being more like a conductor, saying, "Let's do a heavy song here," or, "Let's do an epic song here,"  so, while the drumming will be different, regardless of who it comes from, musically they should be fine.  I like where they went on BC&SL, and no more Portnoy probably means no more attempt at certain kinds of metal (which is fine with me), not to mention no more Portnoy vocals, so color me excited about the band's future.  

Portnoy will be missed, but I think his personality had almost taken over the band a bit too much, and the others probably feel a bit liberated now, being able to now continue on with the band without him ruling over them with his iron fist (which I mean in a nice way).  Ya know? :)

But Portnoy's vocals were the best! I love the way he sounds, such a manly voice... <3

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #482 on: September 09, 2010, 12:01:08 AM »

Good to hear.  Honestly, I think we all know that Petrucci and Rudess have been the main creative forces for years already (with Portnoy being more like a conductor, saying, "Let's do a heavy song here," or, "Let's do an epic song here,"  so, while the drumming will be different, regardless of who it comes from, musically they should be fine.  I like where they went on BC&SL, and no more Portnoy probably means no more attempt at certain kinds of metal (which is fine with me), not to mention no more Portnoy vocals, so color me excited about the band's future.  

Well put sir.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #483 on: September 09, 2010, 12:01:24 AM »
TOX, your post was really, really excellent.

This situation is so fucking parallel to what's going on in my personal life right now. I hate it...this is awful.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #484 on: September 09, 2010, 12:02:04 AM »

Interesting aspect. If it works out like you said, then we're probably in for nice surprises.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline *troll=banned*

« Reply #485 on: September 09, 2010, 12:02:28 AM »

This situation is so fucking parallel to what's going on in my personal life right now. I hate it...this is awful.

Mike Portnoy left your band too? You lucky bastard, I would kill to be that close to him!

Offline TheGlassPrison

« Reply #486 on: September 09, 2010, 12:06:53 AM »
Wow, I read the whole thread and I still can't wrap my head around this. I have a ton of thoughts that I'm really trying to process...

a) MP's rationale for leaving the band makes a ton of sense, for a normal person. Does it really make sense for Portnoy, though? We know that he loves music of all styles, even if he's not as enamored with the DT brand of prog metal anymore. Combine that with his obsessive tendencies, and I still can't really believe this is it for MP and DT. I would put pretty good money on MP rejoining the band within, say, 5 years. Whether that's in a tour or album capacity (or obviously both!), I dunno.

b) In the interim, at least I really like A7X. I hope he continues with the band in a permanent capacity now that he's ex-DT. With MP, I think we can safely expect the band to be more metal and less...experimental pop rock? I think that if MP gets them to return to either their WtF or CoE form, that's a very good thing.

c) Who replaces MP? Obviously it has to be someone with major chops, isn't locked into another band obligation, and is capable of learning all the music - or at least enough for a set list. I think the days of the rotating tour set list are done now; how much can the new guy learn? More importantly...

d) Who's the leader of DT now? Is Petrucci or LaBrie ready to carry the band in a business, press, and fan relation sense? What happens to something like Prog Nation - is it over forever now?

e) How does MP leaving change the direction of their future output?

I think some of these things have been posted already, and I figure the rest of you are just as  ??? as I am.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #487 on: September 09, 2010, 12:07:03 AM »

Mike Portnoy left your band too? You lucky bastard, I would kill to be that close to him!

:lol :lol :lol :lol
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #488 on: September 09, 2010, 12:07:34 AM »

Aww that sucks big time. I hope things turn out better for you.

Offline *troll=banned*

« Reply #489 on: September 09, 2010, 12:09:17 AM »
Oh man, I just realized...

Mike Portnoy and M. Shadows in the same band permanently... that's too much hotness for one stage!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.....

John